Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Tires question I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:19 am

» New to Me Swing
Tires question I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Tires question I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Tires question I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Tires question I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Tires question I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Tires question I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Tires question I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Tires question I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Tires question I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Tires question

Go down 
+7
oldwingguy
john grinsel
Mike from NS
Meldrew
Easyrider
steve_h80
Terry Smith
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Boating123
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2015-05-31

Tires question Empty
PostSubject: Tires question   Tires question I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2020 6:42 pm

My mechanic said my Dunlop Tubeless tires are still good .. Though they are 6 years old and I don’t ride more then 500 miles each summer.. should I still change them?
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Tires question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires question   Tires question I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2020 8:12 pm

By the fact that you have concerns and are asking, I would change them for piece of mind. What is the date code? Is your bike stored in a covered garage or outside in the weather?
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

Tires question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires question   Tires question I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2020 8:53 pm

Might be worth a read:

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/do-motorcycle-tires-have-shelf-life/
Back to top Go down
Boating123
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Tires question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires question   Tires question I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2020 8:21 am

It’s stored in an outdoor shed in the winter in Long Island ny
As I’m spending a lot to replace the back shocks , breaks and full tune up. So shouldn’t it make sense to get new tires from 2014? Even though. They have very little wear on them. Thx again
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Tires question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires question   Tires question I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2020 9:50 am

At 6 years old the tyres will be starting to harden and grip will be reducing both in the wet and the dry. If you only ride at a slow speed, corner gently and avoid riding in rain you can most likely use the tyres for a while longer yet.
I'm none of those things and would replace them, especially if I was carrying out work to the suspension and brakes.
Back to top Go down
Boating123
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Tires question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires question   Tires question I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2020 10:34 am

Do you know the best tires I can order ? Are Dunlop ones still good ?
Back to top Go down
Boating123
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Tires question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires question   Tires question I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2020 10:53 am

is Continental Tires good?
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Tires question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires question   Tires question I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2020 4:10 pm

I like the recommended IRC tires. I get over 15k miles with them. My mileage maybe due to the weather here in Hawaii. Pirelli Power Pure SC rear tires are also good. It wears round. As I stated before, I don't like the
Pirelli Power Pure SC front tire, but that is my personnel opinion.
Oh, you may get a better price on the IRCs from a Honda deal than from the internet.

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Tires question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires question   Tires question I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2020 6:45 pm

Boating123 wrote:
is Continental Tires good?

I fitted Continental ContiMove 365 all season tyres to my Silver Wing as a change from the Bridgestone Hoops I've used for years. They were excellent in all weather conditions although being of a softer compound than the Hoops they wear faster too. I liked them.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

Tires question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires question   Tires question I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2020 7:18 am

My understanding is the tire life is 5 years. When I realized my tires were shot, due to fine cracks in the side walls, I then found they were 10 years old !! Yikes !!! There was no more riding until they were replaced. My message would be to very closely inspect the tires for side wall cracks no matter how much tread remains. Bad things can happen really fast. But then, if you're not careful when starting out on a new tire, the bike could slip from beneath you due to mold release agents not worn off the tire
yet. Isn't it something like the first 100kms being the recommendation for taking it easy on new tires --- for this reason?
Mike
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Tires question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires question   Tires question I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2020 8:19 am

As user of over 400 new bike/scooter tires over the years---I always take it easy on the tires for the first 100 miles or so. Never had any problems doing this.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Tires question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires question   Tires question I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2020 9:36 am

Mike from NS wrote:
My understanding is the tire life is 5 years.  When I realized my tires were shot, due to fine cracks in the side walls, I then found they were 10 years old !! Yikes !!! There was no more riding until they were replaced.  My message would be to very closely inspect the tires for side wall cracks no matter how much tread remains.  Bad things can happen really fast.  But then, if you're not careful when starting out on a new tire, the bike could slip from beneath you due to mold release agents not worn off the tire
yet.  Isn't it something like the first 100kms being the recommendation for taking it easy on new tires --- for this reason?
Mike

For one yes the other I notice with my new tires handling change some, not something you would want to find out unexpectedly. A 2nd I was surprised how long the mold teats lasted and that could contribute to the feel difference.
Back to top Go down
Roadman45LC
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2015-07-06

Tires question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires question   Tires question I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2020 8:46 am

My take on tires is, Up to 4 years if low miles and stored out of sun and other damaging elements. Next the best grip tires I can get. To hell with long mileage unless the grip is there, my safety is most important thing, you are only gonna have one serious mistake on two wheels and traction is the only thing giving you a fighting chance to survive.
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

Tires question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires question   Tires question I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2020 9:08 am

Michelin's only for me. I have 53 years of riding experience. Once I went to higher performance cornering bikes I found Michelin to have the best traction and I get around 8K on a set.
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-04-04

Tires question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires question   Tires question I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2020 1:30 pm

Mike from NS wrote:
But then, if you're not careful when starting out on a new tire, the bike could slip from beneath you due to mold release agents not worn off the tire
yet.  Isn't it something like the first 100kms being the recommendation for taking it easy on new tires --- for this reason?
Mike

I keep seeing this, but apparently people don't know that there are not release agents used in the manufacture of tires. What happens is chemical/gaseous agents are gassing out from the tire rubber compound and collect on the surface. The thing to do with new tires to help that process along is by warming/heating the tire... (the tread especially) It doesn't take much to have that happen to the outer contact surface layer from the heat and friction of use. Then the gloss gradually disappears and the compound will grip better.
Back to top Go down
Boating123
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Tires question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires question   Tires question I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2020 7:51 pm

This weekend I took out my 2005 silverwing for a long 30 mile ride with new tires , shocks and brake pads .. what I noticed on a windy day was I felt like the bike wasn’t that easy to control going around 50mph .. Thinking maybe just the nature of how small the tires are contributes to the somewhat lack of full stability on the road at high speeds . For example, with a honda goldwing you have bigger tires and are lower to the ground to maneuver easier .
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Tires question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires question   Tires question I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2020 3:37 am

Boating123, 30 miles isn't a long ride. You need to allow about 100 miles for tyres, brake pads etc to bed in (banditry describes it very well above).
The sw does seem catch the wind a bit more than some regular bikes, possibly because of the shape, weight distribution or not a tank to grip with your knees. You just need to ride to suite the conditions the same as you would in any other vehicle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tires question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires question   Tires question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tires question
Page 1 of 1