Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Another question about tires

Go down 
+7
Silver Dave K
bandito2
cotetoi
tinman
john grinsel
sctr199
Mike from NS
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

Another question about tires Empty
PostSubject: Another question about tires   Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2015 1:13 pm

I'm looking at replacing the tires just before September ..... but maybe it would be wise to do so sooner than later and I would appreciate comments based on the following.

My Silverwing is a 2005 (600-ABS) with close to 15,000kms on it. Not sure how many of these are on the present tires but my hunch is that all of them. The rear is fairly well worn to flat in the center (no cords showing yet) and the front seems to be evenly but gently worn. The close visual check of both shows the fine cracks older tires gain in the side walls. For this reason I'm inclined to go for new tires now...also: the oval on the side wall with what I think is the date code shows 2804 for the front and 3704 for the rear. Makes them about 11 years old and no wonder the cracks. Too old already ? Probably. So ... opinions please ... change as soon as possible or does your experience say wait until September ...or when they go flat ... whichever comes first. How many years are tires "supposed" to last when considering only the deterioration of the rubber. These tires are IRC 530 F &
IRC 530 R

Thanks,

Mike

Back to top Go down
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Another question about tires   Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2015 2:16 pm

Would replace them ASAP. Waiting until they go flat is a bad idea, especially if you're riding it at the time. My recommendation is based on your description of their age and condition.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Another question about tires   Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2015 4:45 pm

Change--throw away
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

PostSubject: Re: Another question about tires   Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2015 6:55 pm

Thanks for the replies ... they confirm my thoughts. To tell the truth, I had no idea the tires were this old nor had I looked as closely at them to notice the cracks. Tomorrow the plan is to order some tires and get rid of these before they get rid of me. I found since "posting" my question that 6 or 7 years is considered the shelf life of the tires. This is something I should have dealt with in the middle of the winter. Last October I had gotten a quote on a set of Michelin City Grip tires and held off on the purchase. Hindsight is 20/20 ! The front Michelins have an aspect ratio of 70 whereas the Bridgestone Hoop for the front is 80. I prefer the Michelin but, this means the front tire is 12mm smaller in outer diameter than recommended. Next dumb question: will 1/4" on the outer radius make a difference that I shouldn't accept?

Thanks, once more.
Mike
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Another question about tires   Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2015 7:17 am

Before buying tires-----check Honda recommendation for front----aspect ratio 80 I believe. Michelin 70 aspect ratio is for earlier tire. Power SC is current size for SilverWing. I would go for IRC as SilverWing works just fine with them
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

PostSubject: Re: Another question about tires   Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2015 8:10 am

Thanks again, John!
Yes, 80 is the aspect ratio for the front and that was my concern with the Michelin City Grip with aspect ratio of 70. That drops the OD by 12mm. In reading the shop manual last night, if I understand correctly, the ABS light might flash 71 times in indication of the wrong tire size. If things are this sensitive, I won't be going with the City Grips. I'm pretty well settled on the Power Pure SC tires but will check with the dealer on the availability if the IRCs. These lasted for the 15,000kms on the bike and still have some tread life remaining. It is the date code and the cracks which I found yesterday that have me motivated into action to replace now. More online searching and off to the dealer this morning ! (CanadaMotorcycle.ca have no listing for the IRC tires.)
Mike
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Another question about tires   Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2015 11:49 am

I received my second pure sport from canadas motorcycle last week . I have about 35 to 40 k kl on my front tire. the centre tire look new but the side walls are close to the ware bars cause by riding with a trike kit wares the tire different then riding on 2 wheels.IMO the pure sport is one of the best out there.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

PostSubject: Re: Another question about tires   Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2015 1:09 pm

tinman wrote:
I received my second pure sport from canadas motorcycle last week . I have about 35 to 40 k kl on my front tire. the centre tire look new but the side walls are close to the ware bars cause by riding with a trike kit wares the tire different then riding on 2 wheels.IMO the pure sport is one of the best out there.

Great to hear of the great mileage the pure sport is capable !  And also to hear that you feel it is a good tire.

I'm just home from ordering front and rear Pure Sports for my S'wing from the local Honda dealer.  $189.73 in including taxes with arrival expected by Friday this week.  Installation at the dealer for $12.75 having bought the tires from them.  ($23 otherwise) Now I just need to take the wheels off the bike for Friday.  Kind of cool to think I likely will be riding on new rubber this weekend.

John, I priced the IRC at the dealer as well but with their price of $344.00 for the pair, the Michelins won out easily.

I really appreciate the comments. Thanks.
Mike
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Another question about tires   Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2015 7:31 pm

Mike, I put Metzlers front and back. I got them both for $153.00 at the Atlantic Motoplex in Moncton last year. They are doing just fine and I like the ride on them. I am also using dyna beads for balance. I am very satisfied thus far.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Another question about tires   Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 3:34 am

The only tire I don't recommend is the Avon Stryker ( piece of crap). I don't think IRC tire are available in Canada.
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Another question about tires   Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 9:02 am

tinman wrote:
The only tire I don't recommend is the Avon Stryker ( piece of crap). I don't think IRC tire are available in Canada.

BOY HOWDY!!!, I'll second that. I could hardly wait till spring to get rid of the Avon STRYKER on my Silverwing and it had only about 2000 miles on it. It had horrible wet pavement performance. It kept trying to slide out on the wet road without even goosing to get it to break loose. Made me nervous every time it rained. So I put my 165/65R12 car tire on the rear and that fixed it... no more sliding or loosing grip on turns, breaking or accelerating.
Back to top Go down
Silver Dave K
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2014-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Another question about tires   Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 10:44 am

I agree , Avon tires are junk! Dave Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Another question about tires   Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 12:52 pm

If you're going to slag off Avon tyres then at least get the name of their scooter tyre right. Go and have a look at your tyre walls, it's called the Viper Stryke not the Stryker. The Stryker is a family of 8 wheeled armoured fighting vehicles currently in use with the U.S. and Canadian Armies.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Another question about tires   Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 3:50 pm

I think AVON are maybe ok tires....and should be ok in wet, coming from UK BUT I had a matched set on my Kawasaki Concurs, maybe 2009, in Germany---they scared me---wet about 35-40 degrees F, going straight-----rear would try to pass front, several times. Got rid of them. and the bike at 56,000 miles.
Back to top Go down
Black Sapper
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Another question about tires   Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 5:38 pm

I have had an Avon Viper Stryker delaminate down to the "canvas" in less than 2000miles and certainly would not contemplate using them again. I currently use Bridgestone Hoops
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

PostSubject: Re: Another question about tires   Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 6:30 pm

I went with the Michelin Power Pure SC tires .... and I'm very glad I did (so far) These are proving to be very quiet and give a smooth ride. The ride is really more responsive to swerving around pot holes ... of which we have way too many ! The dealer could get the IRC but the cost would have been more than 1/3 more than the Michelins. Thanks for all the comments to my original question. Also, through the help of the site and the postings I found here, the removal and installation of the wheels was a breeze. The re-installation of the muffler gave me a bit of a challenge but that was a simple problem with an even simpler remedy.
Mike
Back to top Go down
jerikostar
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jerikostar

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2015-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Another question about tires   Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2015 4:21 pm

When the Diablo will be replaced,i will try the Bridgestone Battlax SC, speak well in  Italian Forum SWCI
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Another question about tires   Another question about tires I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2015 4:50 pm

I've just had a Bridgestone Hoop fitted to the rear of my Silverwing - I wasn't given a choice but I'm content with it as a known make and model.

I had one fitted to my X9500 some years ago and that boosted my confidence in the bike dramatically - it was a super tyre!

I guess what one buys is totally governed by what's available in particular countries.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another question about tires   Another question about tires I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another question about tires
Page 1 of 1