Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:29 pm

» Goodbye guys
Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:27 pm

» noise under load
Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off

Go down 
+2
Donie
john grinsel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Donie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-04-07

Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off Empty
PostSubject: Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off   Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2020 6:15 am

I'm getting a fair bit of vibration on take off, and then it's gone.

I'm guessing new rollers may cure this?

Any tips from gurus?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off   Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2020 7:22 am

Rather than take things apart----run engine up against brakes for 10 seconds or so. Worked for me with my first new SilverWing for near 50,000 miles. Second one never had these problems.
Back to top Go down
Donie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off   Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2020 8:51 am

Thanks John,

I'll give it a good try.

Donie
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1987
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off   Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2020 11:01 pm

I did like John said when I had a vibration on take off and it worked pretty good. Haven't had the problem since either. If I remember right, I revved it up to around 3500-4000 rpm for about 10 seconds.
Back to top Go down
Donie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off   Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2020 5:36 am

From the remedy suggested, it sounds like it's more of a glazing of the clutch segments/shoes, than a variator roller problem, even though the sound seems to be coming more forward than the clutch area.

Before I venture out again I will try the remedy and report back.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off   Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2020 4:26 pm

How many miles do you have on the rollers? Maybe it is time to change to Dr. Pulley sliders.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off   Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2020 5:00 pm

Either do the run against the back brake or do some hard acceleration from a stop or near stop, you'll know when you've done it right be the smell!
Too much gentle acceleration glazes the clutch pads and makes them a bit grabby which is what you are experiencing, a good thrashing sorts it out as it burns off the glaze.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off   Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2020 4:23 am

After over 90,000 miles with 2 new SilverWings----I say, "why change anything in drive line with parts other than stock OEM"? Bike works fine as is, want difference performance---get something different.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off   Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2020 2:32 pm

john grinsel wrote:
After over 90,000 miles with 2 new SilverWings----I say, "why change anything in drive line with parts other than stock OEM"?  Bike works fine as is, want difference performance---get something different.
How's about better gas mileage with added performance. Go down to 24g sliders will take care of the vibration at start, give better acceleration, and better gas mileage. It dropped my RPM by 500 at 60 MPH.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off   Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2020 5:59 pm

My question to EasyRider---how many SilverWing miles have you ridden?
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off   Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2020 6:04 pm

Had three Swings. 2002, 2004, and 2013. About 50k miles on Swings.
About 20k miles on Suzuki T500.
About 15k miles on Yamaha Twin 100.
Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2017-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off   Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2020 3:46 am

john grinsel wrote:
After over 90,000 miles with 2 new SilverWings----I say, "why change anything in drive line with parts other than stock OEM"?  Bike works fine as is, want difference performance---get something different.

To hi-jack this thread as well. Over 170 000kms/106 000miles on 2 different Swings and found an improvement by changing rollers to sliders; a Givi screen, a Delkevic exhaust; but stay stock-standard with everything else! Currently getting bad fuel efficiency & a bit of vibration - but only because the belt needs changing badly!
Covid poverty hitting me hard!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off   Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vibration and Rumbling on Take Off
Page 1 of 1