Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:19 am

» New to Me Swing
Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know

Go down 
+5
Starkman
Meldrew
Michel Vachon
oldwingguy
Mech 1 twa
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Starkman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Starkman

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2020-02-22

Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know Empty
PostSubject: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2020 4:06 pm

Greetings all,

So, I've done some searching here, but the problem I'm running against is that I don't understand the basics enough to follow a lot of what's posted about valves, stems, this, that and the other when putting on new tires.

I'm ordering tires today or tomorrow—I'm fairly up on tires now to order comfortably—but I'm really in the dark with regard to what I need to know about new valves and stems and what to do and not do, what to get and not get.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Starkman
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2020 7:06 pm

A pair that's easy for you to add air, stubbies are nice, I have some metal 90 deg. units that use a threaded nut to secure the stem that I will install next time I do tires.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2020 7:34 pm

Search valve.  Much discussion in there.

I installed some aluminum low profile ones both pointing to right side.   Rear has to be angled a little to clear wheel casting but it works.   SW is a pain because Disc. brakes are on opposite sides.  Some had issues mounting rear stem to the left, clearance. Hitting some part of rear diff. housing.

It's a good idea to replace them every few years. Stock rubber ones do wear out and could leak. Stock ones will be fine.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2020 7:54 pm

Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know Valve10

Mine are similar to these but forgot  where I bought them.
Back to top Go down
Starkman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Starkman

PostSubject: Re: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2020 8:28 pm

Great, thanks for the replies, all.

Yeah, I searched valves here and read a lot on it. I was just concerned about the posts I was reading in which riders had having issue with the stems hitting parts of the bikes and what have you. A bit unnerving for someone just starting out here! Anyway, more input is always welcome.

As it stands, I'm buying some Shinko's 567-68, I believe they are (without looking them up again). These will be just for me to get used to the bike and see where all this leads me.

Thanks everyone!
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2020 9:03 pm

These will be just for me to get used to the bike and see where all this leads me.

Hopefully down the road less traveled and end up enjoying it so much you can't wait for the next ride.

Back to top Go down
Starkman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Starkman

PostSubject: Re: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2020 10:49 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
Hopefully down the road less traveled and end up enjoying it so much you can't wait for the next ride.

Already is, my friend, but on my Yamaha Bolt R Spec...I'm waiting for my turn with my mechanic to get my scooter in for a complete service, and then I'll be all over it!
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2019-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 1:04 pm

Hello Starkman,

Here is a link to buy some angle aluminium valve.  

https://www.amazon.com/83deg-Aluminum-Racing-Angled-Valve/dp/B001P51EZ4

Good luck !

Michel thumbs up
swing
Back to top Go down
Starkman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Starkman

PostSubject: Re: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 1:35 pm

Hey, thanks, Michel.

Will these work for both front and back? (2006 Honda SW)?
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2019-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 1:37 pm

I really don't know ... It would be something to try...
Michel
Back to top Go down
Starkman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Starkman

PostSubject: Re: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 1:39 pm

Okay, thanks much.
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 1:58 pm

I recently fitted a new rear tyre (Michelin City Grip) and while I was busy I fitted a new angled valve like the ones below. Obviously I got mine through Ebay UK but they are the same ones. Fitted mine with the stem facing out to the left and have not had a problem. Make sure you get the 11.3 mm ones.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Valve-Stem-Aluminum-Racing-Angled-BLACK-2PC/163441045823?hash=item260dd8713f:g:peIAAOSwvDNdtGGh
Back to top Go down
Starkman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Starkman

PostSubject: Re: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 2:02 pm

Thanks, terrier.

I'm in need now to know what to get for the front. If an angle will work, than I can just go that route, along the lines you and Michel have given me.
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

PostSubject: Re: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 2:15 pm

Starkman wrote:
Thanks, terrier.

I'm in need now to know what to get for the front. If an angle will work, than I can just go that route, along the lines you and Michel have given me.

Your welcome. The front straight one is easy to access anyway so probably no need to change to an angled one but as the ones I showed you come in pairs I see no reason why it shouldn't fit.
Back to top Go down
Starkman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Starkman

PostSubject: Re: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 2:16 pm

Okie doke. Thanks much!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 3:43 pm

I had Ariete racing valves fitted to my Silver Wing when I changed tyres from Bridgestone Hoops to Continental ContiMove 365. It made checking and inflating both tyres so much easier.
Back to top Go down
Starkman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Starkman

PostSubject: Re: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 3:51 pm

Well, I went ahead and ordered the ones terrier referred me to. I've also made note of Michels suggestions, and I'll make note, too, of the Ariete racing valves.

Thanks much!
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2020 12:43 pm

Check the thread called 'Tyre Valve Help' from the search box. I made a few posts and showed how close my 90 degree rear valve came to touching parts of the bike. This might give you some clearer idea.

A slightly lesser angle might give more clearance. However, the 90 degree valve has made checking my tyre pressure much easier. I'd recommend it.

As for the front? a normal straight valve is easily accessible anyway.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2020 1:07 pm

From Honda Parts there is a short, straight,high speed valve available----fit my chuck and gauge well and touched nothing on the sides. Works on front, too. I don't like the 90 degree stems at all--they work and wear on the seals in time.
Back to top Go down
Starkman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Starkman

PostSubject: Re: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2020 2:41 pm

Loosemarbles,

I think I read through that thread while researching. Thanks! I ended up ordering the ones terrier (post above) mentioned (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Valve-Stem-Aluminum-Racing-Angled-BLACK-2PC/163441045823?hash=item260dd8713f:g:peIAAOSwvDNdtGGh). I'm hoping they aren't too long. (And I'm a bit confused about any clips I may need.)

john grinsel,

I'm not sure, other than through a Honda Dealer, how to get these parts. When you say 'Honda Parts' are you thinking specifically through one's dealer or do you order online? If so, where?

Thanks much.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2020 5:25 pm

Use your dealer....you want him to stay in business----good partsman will know what you want.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2020 5:50 am

Starkman, I don't recall needing any 'clips' but I do remember the size options as being 8mm or 11mm hole circumference. Mine were 11mm. Can't guarantee that it applies to 'ALL' SWs but I imagine it would.
Back to top Go down
VictorLouis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2020-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2020 9:50 am

I just ordered two pair of the ones that Michel V linked to, above. I'll post on the results, eventually.
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

PostSubject: Re: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2020 2:17 pm

Starkman wrote:
And I'm a bit confused about any clips I may need.

You won't need any clips. The plastic one that's fitted to keep the standard angled valve in place is not needed and must be removed to fit the new alloy angled valve.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know   Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tire Valves and Stems - what do I need to know
Page 1 of 1