Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp

Go down 
+2
bigbird
DennisB
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp Empty
PostSubject: Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp   Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 8:42 am

Good information when buying tires:

Instructions:

1. Locate the DOT numbers on the sidewall of the tire. These numbers always start with the letters DOT, which stand for Department of Transportation.

2. Check both sides of the tire. You will notice that one number has four extra digits to it on the end.

3. Determine which side of the tire has the longer DOT number and read the last four digits of that number. That is the tire stamp date.

4. Decipher the tire stamp date using this easy formula: 0108 would indicate that the tire was manufactured in the first week of the year 2008; 1208 would indicate the tire was manufactured in the 12th week of the year 2008. This formula applies in a two-digit format to start the number of the week it was made, starting with 01 and ending with 52. The last two digits of the number indicate in which year the tire was manufactured, starting with 00 for the year 2000. There's a slightly different format for tires manufactured prior to the year 2000, but since those would be over nine years old, it's a pretty safe bet to assume they're beyond their expiration date. It might not hurt to find out if the tire you're looking at has a manufacturer's expiration date, if applicable, and determine whether that would expire before the tread wear of the tire being used on your vehicle would.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp   Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 11:22 am

Good info.

My '09 Swing has a front tire manufactured date of 36th week 2008, and the rear the 39th week of 2008.

Thanks Dennis
Back to top Go down
buckeyerider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Is That "New" tire REALLY New?   Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 10:11 am

I've really enjoyed and appreciated the shared comments, experiences, and recommendations on tires for the Swing.

One thing I've found VERY helpful in tire shopping for ANY vehicle is to check the tire's date of manufacture. I've found tires on "sale" that were already 3-7 years old! That's a lot of time to sit on a shelf with the rubber compounds drying out...which reduces traction. No real bargain here and less safe.

To find the date of manufacture: Locate the DOT emblem on the tire's sidewall.

It will be followed on the right by a triangle or other symbol and some letters/numbers.

Then there will be an oval or oblong space with something like: 9AL1702

The last 4 digits 1702 show that this tire was manufactured in the 17th week of the year 2002. Any New tire more than a year or 2 old should not be considered NEW
regardless of price or brand. Check the dates before you plunk down the cash!

Ride safe everyone! Mike
Back to top Go down
The D
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
The D

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2011-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp   Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 6:55 am

I have a six year old bike that was purchased in January with 4700 mi. What should I be looking for or what should I know about six year old tires for safety reasons? Dealer said there was plenty of rubber left.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp   Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 7:37 am

Tires do age. Good link to start from (This is part 1 of a 2 part series.): http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138

Part 2: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=183
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
The D
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
The D

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2011-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp   Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 8:02 am

Thanks Dale.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp   Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 3:40 pm

I saw a post where tires were being sold on ebay and thought it would be a good idea to revisit this post. A "new" tire that's been sitting in a warehouse or garage for ten years is not new. There is some good information here if you look for it.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp   Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 11:57 am

DennisB wrote:
Good information when buying tires:

Instructions:

1. Locate the DOT numbers on the sidewall of the tire. These numbers always start with the letters DOT, which stand for Department of Transportation.

2. Check both sides of the tire. You will notice that one number has four extra digits to it on the end.

3. Determine which side of the tire has the longer DOT number and read the last four digits of that number. That is the tire stamp date.

4. Decipher the tire stamp date using this easy formula: 0108 would indicate that the tire was manufactured in the first week of the year 2008; 1208 would indicate the tire was manufactured in the 12th week of the year 2008. This formula applies in a two-digit format to start the number of the week it was made, starting with 01 and ending with 52. The last two digits of the number indicate in which year the tire was manufactured, starting with 00 for the year 2000. There's a slightly different format for tires manufactured prior to the year 2000, but since those would be over nine years old, it's a pretty safe bet to assume they're beyond their expiration date. It might not hurt to find out if the tire you're looking at has a manufacturer's expiration date, if applicable, and determine whether that would expire before the tread wear of the tire being used on your vehicle would.

Some good information in this older post. Also some good links for more info.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp   Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tire Maufacturing Date Stamp
Page 1 of 1