Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Left brake micro-switch
How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Today at 6:32 am

» Silverwing Brakes
How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Today at 6:20 am

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources I_icon_minitimeby gustav Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources

Go down 
+3
Meldrew
steve_h80
Starkman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Starkman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Starkman

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2020-02-22

How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources Empty
PostSubject: How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources   How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2020 2:11 pm

Greetings,

It's very time consuming for a person to research reliable resources for, say, buying a helmet, gear and what have you.

I've browsed through this forum and found some good information in general, but what I'd like to see is a compilaton of online (and brick and mortar) resources for finding parts, supplies, helmets, gear, accessories, YouTube sites, and anything else that seems to be of interest to Swing riders.

Also, any dos-and-don'ts about such products and equipment is very valuable for noobs, like me.

I'm new to riding, and I bought a 2006 Swing with only 4500 miles. I'm going to have it serviced, including new tires, but there starts the problem for me: what kind of tires should I get? What shouldn't I get. What do I tell my mechanic about this? Should I buy the tires myself to save money? If so, where do I get them?

So, you can see, this is just the start; there's a helmet and gear next to consider, and I'm in the dark on those as well.

So, I'll start with what I've found already in my general research, and I'll make a new post below this one to do so.

Last edited by Starkman on Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Starkman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Starkman

PostSubject: Re: How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources   How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2020 2:16 pm

YouTube sites I like for learning about riding, some do-it-yourelf, and generalities about bikes:

MotoJitsu
Yammie Noob
DanDanTheFireman
CanyonChasers
MCrider - Motorcycle Training
Ride Like a Pro Jerry Palladino (former motorman)

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources   How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2020 3:55 pm

I disagree, it's never been easier to choose and buy helmets, clothing, and accessories, just Search and it's all there. A basic Search for say a full face helmet wil give you a worldwide selection of manufacturers, importers, sellers, and reviews.

Then as long as you know your specific head shape, head size, and the helmet manufacturer that makes them for your head shape. Then you buy one somewhere, or order one online, it's that simple.

YouTube is also a valuable resource, whatever piece of kit you’re interested in there'll be someone reviewing it on YouTube. In the last year or so I've researched, chosen, and bought motorcycle gear from Italy, Germany, France, and Spain, as well as from here in the U.K. I'll still go in local clothing and accessories stores, if they have what I want, a lot of times they don't.

In fact now we're in lockdown mode I'm getting more than the usual amount of daily emails from motorcycle clothing and accessories companies. I've just deleted the latest Easter discount deals they sent me. I looked at various items, but it's just too easy to buy more gear that I don't really need.

Anyway if this Coronavirus gets me, I'll have wasted my money, and all the new and used kit I have will just get bagged up by Mrs M and taken to a charity shop.

You also need to be aware that what someone recommends on here isn't necessarily going to fit you, or me. I've worn mainly Arai, and Schuberth helmets for years and they've fitted well. I used to wear a Scorpion flip front helmet which was fine to wear for a hour or so, on longer rides it gradually became uncomfortable and tight feeling as if my head was in a vice.

Later online research found Scorpion helmets are specifically designed for a narrower head shape.
Back to top Go down
Starkman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Starkman

PostSubject: Re: How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources   How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2020 11:52 am

Meldrew,

Thanks for the input. But as a noob, I don't find it easy, at all, to wade through a worldwide slection of anything I'm researching for this hobby. It's just too time consuming and reinventing the wheel at that. I'd much rather have a list of well-experienced people giving their go-to sources and offering tips along in this vein.

I didn't know about head shape, much less head size (except for buying hats), and knowing now that Scorpion helmets are specifically designed for a narrower head shape is excellent information. Thank you! (Now, I gotta figure out what my head size and shape are, which I can do pretty easily, I hope!)

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources   How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2020 2:27 pm

For helmets, always, always, try before you buy. If your not sure of fit any decent retailer will help you with fitting. Yep it will cost a bit more than online but what price your head? And of course keeping your local dealer in business.
Also remember the web is full of cheap, and not so cheap, fakes.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources   How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 3:00 am

You should of course try helmets on for size, although that's only one consideration. Head protection and a comfortable fit are obviously very important but there's a lot more to consider than that.

A good helmet should be designed so that damaging wind noise is kept to a minimum, the visor doesn’t mist up easily, the face aperture has efficient rain seals to keep moisture from seeping down inside the visor, or efficient vents to desist visors and exhaust hot air away from the head.

A lot of helmets still don't have their inner liners with areas designed to take earpieces for intercom systems or even fix the controller to the outside shell. Some have side pods that are very difficult to remove when you want to change visors, or flimsy ratchet mechanisms.

Modern textile suits have issues too, some drop liner suits wet out, a lot of of Gore-tex suits aren't really breathable because the large of back protector acts as a insulating layer preventing perspiration getting through and evaporating. Neither are they particularly warm to wear without an intermediate layer.

I have a unlined Klim laminated Gore-tex suit and it's amazing to ride through torrential rain for hours and nothing permeates through, and it dries within a few miles. Yet in hot weather it's very uncomfortable to wear even with all it's vents open, and I've often had to layer up as the weather gets autumnal.
Back to top Go down
Starkman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Starkman

PostSubject: Re: How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources   How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 1:37 pm

Excellent! Thanks, Meldrew.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources   How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 3:14 pm

Instead of this internet stuff....try you local dealer!!…..then ride, gaining experience----you need well fitting helmet, rain gear including rubber boots,  gloves mitts are always problem, some sort of non-flapping jacket----SilverWing, if not already fitted with GIVI adjustable screen==get one.   Stock windshield is crap!!   Learn to do mech stuff yourself---SilverWing, even old is quite trouble free, stock!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources   How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 3:33 pm

Errr.... aren't all your local dealerships closed for the foreseeable future because of Covid-19, they are over here. However all the main motorcycle clothing and accessories companies are operating normally and relying on internet sales..
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources   How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 3:59 pm

US---I think you can ride in to open dealership.
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2019-10-22

PostSubject: Re: How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources   How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 3:00 pm

I think if a dealer is open you could go to one as it is considered essential service.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources   How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 6:19 pm

Here in PA. service is essential but sales are taking a big loss so far. No in person sales only Internet type but rules and such are very difficult for most dealers. Every state has different rules. Showroom is closed. Imagine buying a bike-car without seeing it driving it in person. State even shut down the system to register it and get tags. AHGGGH. Call ahead. Wear your mask and enjoy.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources   How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 6:39 pm

Here they will bring a sanitized car of choice to your home to try, some service departments offer pick up and delivery, they too sanitize the vehicle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources   How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How About a Compilation of Online (and other) Resources
Page 1 of 1