Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Yesterday at 3:43 pm

» noise under load
You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda

Go down 
+4
rustysdream
oldwingguy
gustav
Delray
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda Empty
PostSubject: You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda   You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2020 4:46 am

I'm on my 4th Silver Wing now. I remain fascinated by these bikes.

#4 is an elegant, metallic gray 2008 I use as a "work" bike -- running errands, weekly grocery shopping, etc. The 46-liter GIVI top case really helps.

I was just reading about the origin of Honda scooters. Soichiro Honda had a small company that produced pistons for Toyota before he branched off into motor bikes. His original Cub and Super Cub scooters were designed as work and errand bikes, equally easy and useful for deliverymen and housewives. They were created to be simple and reliable from the very beginning.

Eventually, the Honda Cub and Super Cub became the world's biggest selling two-wheeled machine and sent Honda on the way to becoming the largest motorcycle manufacturer on the planet. The three men who started the business, led by Mr. Honda, steered the company through incredible success together and retired at the same time.

I remember the introduction and jingle as a kid: "Go little Honda, Go little Honda, You meet the nicest people on a Honda." Here it is ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmIm9-Ebyo4

Here are a few 60-second commercials introducing the Super Cub to America ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck9wBHW2160

Sixty years later, they're still for sale as 2019 models ....

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2019-Honda%C2%AE-Super-Cub-C125-ABS-5011493365

You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda 1_beau11

Last edited by Delray on Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2019-04-13

PostSubject: Re: You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda   You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2020 7:15 am

Morning Mike, have you given up on the BMW scooters? Paul
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda   You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2020 8:19 am

Smile true you do but giving credit where credit is due one of the nicest acts of kindness was a fellow in Tennessee who stopped and helped us, pulled up pulling an utility trailer with the HOG emblem on the side, a HOG man himself explained it nicely, you needed help you rode I stopped. Smile
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda   You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2020 8:32 am

"have you given up on the BMW scooters?"

Hey Paul,

Nah, I love the BMW C 650 GT. There is a 100% chance I will own another one.

Having discovered big scooters late in life -- I bought my first Silver Wing on Christmas Eve, 2017 at the age of 64, and didn't even know they existed shortly before that -- I am making up for lost time.

I've owned nine since then. I find good deals, update all the maintenance, which I thoroughly enjoy, ride them for awhile and sell them for a break-even price or modest profit. It's a labor of love.

Currently I have a 2008 Silver Wing and 2016 Burgman 650 in the garage.

If Suzuki is not going to produce new Burgman 650's, I will end up with a white 2018 at some point. I would like a white BMW C 650 GT as its companion.

Of course, I'd still love a 2013 Silver Wing with low miles. Decisions, decisions!

And when I'm old and feeble, I might be checking out a Honda Super Cub. ;o)

Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda   You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2020 8:38 am

"a HOG man himself explained it nicely, you needed help you rode I stopped."

I wasn't knocking the owners and riders of any other brand of bike.

"Nice" is simply what Honda used. Mr. Honda liked it. The message was also smart counter-branding to the growing image of Harley/American bikers as rough and tough rebels. Witness Brando's classic line in the 1950's biker movie, "The Wild Ones" ... "Hey Johnny, what are you rebelling against?"

Johnny: "Whaddya got?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl6si74ZXUs

Personally, I think bikers of every brand are a unique and special brotherhood. If I see a bike broken down on the side of the road, I am stopping to offer help -- doesn't matter what they're riding.

Last edited by Delray on Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:29 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1570
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda   You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2020 11:00 am

When I got my first moped at sixteen years old, Suzuki AP50, the Honda Cub was known as the Honda Bog Seat. I don't know if it was a local thing, I was living in the north west back then.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda   You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2020 8:22 pm

Delray wrote:
"a HOG man himself explained it nicely, you needed help you rode I stopped."

I wasn't knocking the owners and riders of any other brand of bike.

"Nice" is simply what Honda used. Mr. Honda liked it. The message was also smart counter-branding to the growing image of Harley/American bikers as rough and tough rebels. Witness Brando's classic line in the 1950's biker movie, "The Wild Ones" ... "Hey Johnny, what are you rebelling against?"

Johnny: "Whaddya got?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl6si74ZXUs

Personally, I think bikers of every brand are a unique and special
brotherhood. If I see a bike broken down on the side of the road, I am stopping to offer help -- doesn't matter what they're riding.

No knock intended, heck we received less from our own G'Wingers Sad it all depends on the individual.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda   You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 4:59 am

Brotherhood indeed, they're just motorcyclists that like and prefer a specific type of bike, whether it's custom, sports, adventure, tourer, or whatever. Then they dress up in the gear that goes with their chosen style of bike. Now they're all dressed up with nowhere to go and need to show off their crotch rocket or whatever and new gear to similar minded souls.

They probably know others that have similar taste in bikes and riding gear, so they make plans to go off to a greasy spoon cafe or somewhere similar where other members of their chosen tribe hang out. After years of reading forums posts it seems that most riders in any tribe need to be part of a riding group to venture out miles from where they live for unnecessary fried food, or they wouldn’t venture far on their own at all.

Biker hangouts are essential to show off and strut their stuff, where else would anyone notice or be remotely interested that they've fitted an after market Yoshimura can, or are wearing the latest Arai full face helmet. Of course with the current **** storm all that has stopped as we're in lockdown, on a normal Sunday they'd be out in force. Smile
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda   You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 10:58 am

There's was still quite a bit of window rattling, slumber disturbing thumping going on this morning Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
rustysdream
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2020-02-26

PostSubject: Re: You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda   You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 3:26 pm

Meldrew wrote:
After years of reading forums posts it seems that most riders in any tribe need to be part of a riding group to venture out miles from where they live for unnecessary fried food, or they wouldn’t venture far on their own at all.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda   You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2020 9:04 pm

I'll have to admit I'm a Harley basher. Rode many a different type bike over the years. Dirt, Dual sport, Cruiser, Naked, Sport touring and Scooter.

I'll stop for any biker who might need help. We are all different but share 2 wheels.

I'm not a group rider tried that for awhile, to many issues with large groups. 2-3 friends with know skills that's a fast safe ride. Solo is best .....

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda   You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2020 9:16 am

I once stopped to help a fat bloke who was pushing his Harley along a road, apparently it had a flat battery and he'd had no luck trying to bump start it. I said I'd be happy to help and I was, until I realised the fat boy on his Fat Boy expected me to push the Harley along with the weight of him sitting on it.

I went along with it and had a few goes until I was sweating like a glass blowers arse inside the Aerostich suit I used to wear back then. Not a word of encouragement or gratitude from Harley boy for my efforts, or a suggestion we could push together, so I got back on my BMW and left him to it.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda   You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2020 12:05 pm

I hope you kicked his bike over before you left Smile
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda   You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2020 11:54 am

Its funny, my older Harley buddies are looking really hard at the comfort and lighter weight of my Swing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda   You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda
Page 1 of 1