Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 2:05 am

» LF extended back rest
SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 11:21 am

» New to Me Swing
SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:56 am

» I said Farewell...
SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:28 am

» Drive belt prices
SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:01 am

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:37 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice

Go down 
+7
ScottO
MikeO
bikerboy
Meldrew
GHM-PM
Dale N.
DaveTheBear
11 posters
AuthorMessage
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2019-07-12

SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice Empty
PostSubject: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2019 1:51 pm

Hi folks - for those of you who've mounted satnavs to the central plastic handlebar cover using one of the two 6mm "Special Screws"...

I really want to keep my Garmin fairly central if possible. Partly to keep it closer to my forward line of sight, and partly to keep it a bit better protected from the elements..

Spotted this on Ebay and wondered if this would do the job, perhaps boosted with a few washers to avoid damage to the plastic?

Would it be long enough, do you reckon?
SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice Screen12
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1983
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2019 9:20 pm

This is how I did it. I used this Ram mount with a metric screw that I had that was long enough to bring it tight to the plastic. I added enough washers that would fit into the hole but not let the Ram mount touch and/or crack the plastic. It's been a few years since I put it on and haven't had any problems with it. I can't remember if I used Loctite on it or not tho.

This is the one I used: https://mounts.factoryoutletstore.com/Category/CategoryListNoCache.aspx?category_id=0&autocomplete=true&search_term=RAM%20Mounts%20RAM%20Motorcycle%20Base%20with%209mm%20Hole%20and%201%20Inch%20Ball

SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice Ram110
SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice Ram210
SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice Ram310
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2019 9:37 pm

Yup... perfect! Thanks Dale.. I think yours was exactly one of the ones I'd seen. It's obviously worked well!
Thanks for the reply!

Dave.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2019 9:44 pm

You are welcome Dave.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2019 5:06 am

I used a Dennis B mount on the original screws. Has worked great for years. Another option that works well is a mount that mounts off the brake fluid reservoir. Had one on my Goldwing that worked very well. Take a look at gpscity.com. Good prices and you can find something that will work for you!
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2019 6:01 am

Thanks again, guys..
I've ordered the ball mount pictured at the top in the hope that it's gonna slot straight in to that 6mm screw space on the left. If not, I've still got the attachment that comes with the Garmin that bolts directly on to the front of the lever assembly and I'll try it that way.. I've got the Swing booked in to wire the electrics up next week at my local garage - I took a good long look through the manuals and threads on here and realised that I have neither the tools any more, nor the skills, manual dexterity and patience to confidently remove all the various panels and wire it in without damaging something along the way!
I had my Hayabusa for a couple of weeks before trying to fit a double bubble screen and broke a couple of tabs on the inside of the cowl, which kept the trim rattling afterwards!
I'll let the mechanic do what he does best!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2019 6:27 am

I'd only advise someone to use a brake fluid reservoir mount if their sat nav/GPS set is lightweight. The additional weight of a M or L sized RAM arm, locking RAM arm clamp, and a sat nav secured in lockable sat nav cradle, put a considerable strain on the four longer cap screws supplied as part of the RAM brake reservoir kit.

I used a RAM brake reservoir mount for my it has to be said 'weighty' Garmin Zūmo and Touratech set up a few years ago on a trip to Northern Germany and the screws were continually working loose and had to keep stopping to tighten them.

Apart from the annoyance of having to do this, they was a risk of brake fluid leaking past the rubber reservoir seal and damaging paintwork. In the end I had to secure the lid with long cable/zip ties and electrical tape. That cured the problem for the remainder of the trip, and when I returned home I removed the RAM reservoir mount and went back to using my DennisB mount.

Even if it hadn't worked loose (and a couple of members on the Muppets forum have had similar sat nav mounting problems), I'd have removed it anyway, it's far more user friendly having a sat nav centrally mounted between the handlebars than stuck on the left brake fluid reservoir.

Why on the left? Simply because the UK and European FJS Silver Wing's have a 12v power socket in the left glovebox socket.
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2019 7:04 am

Very good points, Meldrew.. thanks!

If the ball mount I've ordered fits the hole ok, I'll be happy.

Centrally mounted, out of the wind and rain blast and easier to read. Plus I AM conscious of the additional weight on the handlebars..

Fingers crossed that little ball will screw in there happily..
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2019 8:59 am

I had no problems with my Zumo/Touratech mount using the Motorcycle Larry replacement brake reservoir lid.  Don't know if the company still exists.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2019 10:50 am

Lucky you, although I doubt the manufacturer of the reservoir cover has anything to do with it, as all the weight is on the four screws you use with the kit.

As I posted earliermy complete set up is weighty, I've had it on the scales and it's over 2lbs. So there's a lot of of strain on those four screws, especially when there's a 6 inch RAM arm with a locking knob, the Garmin Zūmo in it's original holder encased by the lockable stainless steel Touratech cradle, another RAM ball, the power lead, and sometimes a sun shade. So thats quite a heavy mass sticking out over 8 inches from that RAM ball holder on the brake reservoir, held on by those fine threaded screws, and they inevitably loosen off.

With my Forza I have a RAM ball holder held by one long coarse threaded screw permanently mounted centrally between the handlebars. When I'm not using the sat nav, a contrasting colour plastic cover with a Honda badge clips over the space. As with the UK spec Silver Wings, the Forza has a 12v power socket in the glovebox pocket.  I've already tried my sat nav set up with a 6 inch RAM arm and it's solid.

Although it sits forward than on the Silver Wing so the large arm is too long, so I'll try out the 2 inch and 4 inch arms I also have.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: M6 ram mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2019 2:19 pm

I only used the short RAM arm (2” ?) and I am sure that this reduces the strain on the screws.  I have a helmet that Bluetooths to the Garmin so being in the direct line of sight was not so critical
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2019 10:50 am

I have one of these on either side of the bars; one has a second ball on the front:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAM-Mount-ram-b-309-1u-Support-Stand/dp/B0012TT8BK/ref=sr_1_42?hvadid=80401820304663&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvqmt=p&keywords=ram+mounts&qid=1564249640&s=gateway&sr=8-42
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2019 10:50 am

I have one of these on either side of the bars; one has a second ball on the front:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAM-Mount-ram-b-309-1u-Support-Stand/dp/B0012TT8BK/ref=sr_1_42?hvadid=80401820304663&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvqmt=p&keywords=ram+mounts&qid=1564249640&s=gateway&sr=8-42

The one with two balls:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ram-Mount-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Balls/dp/B000WJA5F4/ref=pd_sbs_147_21?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000WJA5F4&pd_rd_r=fbab7797-9b29-43a6-b246-59aab63ca6f2&pd_rd_w=4akHS&pd_rd_wg=Zz8kC&pf_rd_p=2cb1bde8-1db0-4401-a9aa-9fb3c02dfb56&pf_rd_r=3S15F0935DKY5R7FA91M&psc=1&refRID=3S15F0935DKY5R7FA91M

Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2019 11:29 am

Hi Mike, there's one of those in the box that the Garmin came in, along with the little U-loops that slip around the handlebar and fix to the same mount.
That's my "Plan B" option, if the 6mm ball I've ordered doesn't work out.

If I can get it fixed centrally, I'll be a lot happier, particularly if it's a permanent hardwired installation.
Partly to reduce extra weight and clutter on the bars (- much as I loved all the little gizmos on my Exec Burgervan, there was too much going on with all the extras on the RH switchgear! Couple of times, I'd gone for the horn and ended up indicating at the idiot in the car, albeit in a very stern manner..)
.. and partly to keep everything out of the elements... Plus it makes it harder for any thieving little scrotes to grab as they run past you in traffic!
I nearly lost my Zumo 550 to a delightful young chap who thought he could have it away from my VFR1200F a month back while I was waiting at the lights.. Fortunately the little security screw on the cradle saved it from getting lifted as he ran past, but he smashed my LH mirror/indicator off as he went... £200 for a replacement. I couldn't do much - there were 6 or 7 of them running through traffic at a big junction, looking to see what they could snatch from unsuspecting drivers, presumably... and the lights turned green a fraction of a second later, so I couldn't really chase them on foot...

Oh, the joys of living in Walsall!

I might very well use that fitting on the LH lever though, Mike.. and stick a camera on there.

... As bike-mounted anti-personnel weapons are still illegal over here! :D
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2019 11:56 am

Hello, Dave. I agree it's much better to have the mount for GPS in the middle.

I just think the mounts I've shown are a better bet than the reservoir lid one although I used one for my mini-walkman thing; it was very light.

I have the bar ones for my roadbook roller. I love maps and planning routes using Word; writtten instructions and diagrams of junctions. Call me old fashioned but ....... !

Last edited by MikeO on Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2019 12:45 pm

I remember the good old days of RAC roadmaps tucked into the see thru tops of tank bags! Not so easy when you got rain all over both that AND your visor... and pre antifog inserts!

All good fun.

No.. with the weight of my Garmin and the various mounts, I'd rather not unbalance my bars if I can help it..

Plus, if something broke en route on the cradle or the mount itself, I'd stand more chance of a successful save with it centrally positioned... More concerned with losing an expensive satnav than an old road atlas!
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 7:07 am

Update... been to the garage to do a couple of things, and since my Ram ball arrived this morning, I thought I'd have a little look...

Well... the thread's just too short!
It would have been perfect, but there just wasn't enough thread to reach the other side!

So. I've temporarily skipped to Plan C.
Couldn't fix the holder to my left hand side because the fitting for the heated grips remote is there..
So, I've mounted the supplied lever mount assembly to the right hand lever for the time being..

I think it's going to be too close to me for comfort as a permanent mounting position, so I'll order one of the angled ones that Dale used and ask them at the bike shop to fix it onto the central panel when they wire the electrics up...
They'll have all the various lengths of M6 screw with a bigger selection of washers than I could lay my hands on instantly!

Eh well. Worth a try...
Back to top Go down
ScottO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ScottO

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-10-19

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 6:29 pm

I just took the Ramball off my bike. It held my cupholder. The cupholder fell off on the freeway months ago.

It was attached to the front of my left reservoir. I noticed when I used the left brake the reservoir moved. I checked and the screws were very loose. I have made it a habit to hang plastic grocery bags on the ball before stowing them away. My guess is this helped loosen up the screws (it couldn't have been all those Big Gulps that were in the cupholder).

I decided it was best to remove the temptation of the Ram Ball and go back to stock screws on the reservoir.
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 1:45 am

I hear ya, Scott.
For a lightweight camera perhaps, but the weight of a hefty satnav and mount is putting stress on components that weren't designed for it. If you've got it on an extension arm off to the side, then, if my memory of science classes is still right, the additional lever action with all that mass at one end is going to apply even more force to the wrong place... Hit a nice big bump and I'd be having nightmares of it not just loosening screws, but doing damage to the reservoir as well!
But maybe I'm just getting paranoid in my old age! Wink
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 4:35 am

Here is DennisB's original and very secure RAM ball center mount kit. Dennis stopped producting stuff years sgo and subsequently left the forum. Many members here have copied Dennis' mount using aluminum for the base plate. There have never been any reports of the mount failing or GPS/SatNav loss --barring user error.
SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice Image21
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 5:01 am

Aghhhh! Stop it!
You're making me jealous. Smile

It's such a pity Dennis no longer makes these fantastic things any more.
He could be making a nice little extra income off this one item alone!

I'm gutted that the little M6 ball I bought just doesn't have a long enough thread... it's right on the edge of the hole, I can feel it! But they don't seem to make one with a longer screw thread. 10 or 12mm would probably be perfect.

Never mind. The angled ball mount is on its way now. I'll to see if I can find a decent M6 screw from somewhere and some washers...
I used to have all that sort of stuff a few years ago, but lost it all, along with my tools when my house got broken into. All those useful little doodads you collect over the years. Gone in one night. Victim of my own neatness - it was all in one big toolbox!

Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 6:30 am

Searched my little drawer of assorted bits, but nothing useful so I've quickly ordered some M6 screws, plastic washer/spacers and metal washers off Ebay. They should collectively do the job, I reckon...
They'll get here the same day as the angled ram ball, so I can get it mounted before the garage wires the electrics in for me. The more I look at the lever mounted assembly, the less I like it and want it centrally positioned!
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 6:42 am

I am certain that in the past I have used a RAM ball with the female 1/4 x20 thread which I converted to 6mm with the appropriate tap and used a piece of studding (allthread)  and loctite to make the length needed
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 6:52 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Here is DennisB's original and very secure RAM ball center mount kit. Dennis stopped producting stuff years sgo and subsequently left the forum. Many members here have copied Dennis' mount using aluminum for the base plate. There have never been any reports of the mount failing or GPS/SatNav loss --barring user error.
SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice Image21

I ordered one of DennisB's GPS/sat nav mount kits back in 2013, just like in that diagram. The only thing was the RAM ball he supplied had a stem with only 1/4 inch/5mm of thread on it.

So when I tried to assemble it, there was insufficient thread on the RAM bolt  to secure it to the plate with the washer and nut.

I was a bit pissed off about this at the time, although I didn't complain about it to him, or on here as Dennis was a nice helpful guy in his heyday. I just bought a RAM bolt with a longer threaded stem.  Neutral
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 7:10 am

Bikerboy.. in days long past, I would've cobbled something together, Heath Robinson style, but I don't have access to the resources I used to anymore, sadly... These days, I just want it simple and functional! But yeah, that's a neat work-around...

Meldrew - my first choice (wrong as it was) was the perfect solution for me, but for the length on the ball's screw thread. If I could've found the same ball with an M6 thread that was longer than one I have, I'd have been sorted.
Odd that something so neatly designed and coming with custom made spacers as it did, would have such a glaring error in supplying a ball that wouldn't fit!

Like you, I haven't made a fuss over it, though I'm the only one to blame for not looking more closely...
I'll hang on to the ball mount I have though.. I may find some use for it one day!
I did buy a Sena Prism helmet camera last night too off Ebay, so I may find some use fixing it to the bike from time to time, though the helmet fixings look very good on this slightly older cam!
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2019 4:36 am

Yay! This puppy should do the trick.
Screws, spacers and washers arriving tomorrow, so hopefully...

SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice 20190718
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2019 5:19 am

That worked good for me DaveTheBear. While I don't use mine for a GPS I do use it regularly for my MP3 player with no problems. It's a solid mount too.
SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice Mount211
SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice Mount312
SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice Mount412
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2019 5:27 am

Here's a couple with my MP3 player mounted. The backing I use is that rubber shelf liner. It's sort of "sticky" and the rubber bands hold it securely. My wife had some little food "bonnets" I use to put over it if/when it rains. Most every place I go to I know where it is and how to get there so I don't use a GPS. However, the mount is very solid so I don't think there'll be any problem using a GPS.

SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice Mp3_210
SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice Mp3_310
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2019 6:22 am

Nice!
My phone will either be in my pocket or on charge in the left cubby hole, plus my music usually comes from that too, but if I needed a second gadget, I guess I could always put another mount side by side, using the second 6mm screw!
My bluetooth headset is very basic (Freecom 1) as I didn't need rider-rider or group comms, but it does the job.
I had a Sena 10u fitted to a Schuberth C3 Pro when I had the Burgervan, which sounded better, but sadly the Sena's battery pack used to make the helmet quite uncomfortable, as it would push into the back of my head which in turn put extra pressure on my forehead!
Now I have a Shoei GT Air, which was the most comfortable of the lids I tried, including some that were twice the money... (I've never found ANYTHING as comfy as an old Arai I had from the late 90's)

Anyhoo... I digress..

Once the screws and stuff arrives, I'll get back down to the garage and get this little mount fitted..
I'll be a lot happier than I am with the brake lever mount anyway...
SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice 20190720
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2019 6:45 am

That's the mount I have, one on either side. Very effective.
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2019 7:19 am

It's probably the most unobtrusive way of doing things mechanically - in the sense that the lever mount comes with the satnav fixings and all it takes is the removal of the two existing bolts and slapping the kit on with the supplied hex screws/bolts, whereas the centrally mounted angled ball mount needs a few extra bits and some trial and error getting it just so..

I've ridden friends bikes with satnavs and phones and stuff that were handlebar mounted and personally, I didn't like the feeling of the extra mass "unbalancing" the bars. Perhaps I have a slightly lighter touch on the bars, which is why I sense it more...?
Plus, I've had a lot of fast bikes where you can feel every last little imbalance in the setup.. if I take my hands off the bars and it starts to wobble.. nope.

I may well whip that lever mount back off and pop the original fixings back in there to declutter that side when I fit the angled ball..

And she gets the electrics plumbed in next week, so I've got plenty of time to to do any little tweaks to the positioning before then.

I love it when a plan comes together!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2019 8:17 am

I've got that same angled RAM ball mount you've just bought, mounted between the handlebars of my Forza. It's hidden by a plastic cover when there's no sat nav attached.

I did try an alternative RAM Mount using the threaded mirror mounts which are blanked off, but the screw in stem wouldn’t work on the left side, there wasn’t enough clearance with the extra switches for the electric screen, instrument readout modes, and HSTC. On the right it just didn't look right to me and I didn't want all that extra lead running across from the glovebox.

On the Forza and just like the Silver Wing, I plug the power lead straight into the 12v socket in the left side glovebox pocket, and even the lead doesn’t prevent the lid from closing. The only difference now being I can't store the full set up in the glovebox like I could with the Silver Wing.

As for phones and other electronic junk, I don't want them on the handlebars. Nor do I want anything but sat nav instructions coming into my helmet. My Schuberth E1 also has all the electronic gubbins for the communicator in an internal pocket in the lining, and it's hard to feel it there when wearing the helmet.

My open face Schuberth M1 also has comms, but it's a long curved external unit that plugs in at the rear of the helmet.
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2019 5:59 am

Quick update:
After a few days waiting for a package of screws, washers etc, I got in touch with the seller on Ebay and they got a replacement set sent out straightaway. This arrived about half an hour ago, so I've just been down to the garage to see if anything fits..

I was a bit concerned when I looked at the sizes of the bits I'd ordered off Ebay, but then I remembered that things often look smaller in the hand than in a picture (at least, that's what my ex told me!)

The washers didn't look anything like wide enough but I shored things up with a few foam/plastic "washers" off the top of DVD-r spindles!

Anyhoo. It's on. The screw was plenty long enough, and the mount looks and feels secure, with a bit of shock absorption added by the foam/plastic rings.

It ain't pretty, but it works!

I took the handlebar mount off as well. I really wasn't happy with it on the rhs bar, plus it was too close to me and too far off my line of sight.
I did make another foolish purchase off Ebay last week, which was a supposedly "new, but opened to check the contents" Sena Prism helmet camera. Didn't work. Powered up & appeared to start recording but then locks up completely. Battery out and tried again a few times. Nada.
Back onto Ebay and I'm checking his feedback.. in the last 6 months he'd sold the same faulty bluetooth earbud FOUR time, and a Sena headset TWICE that didn't work properly.
Refund came through and I went out and got a brand new Drift Ghost X.

Eh well.
SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice 20190810
SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice 20190811
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2019 6:34 am

Glad to know you're sorted RAM Mount wise, I have the same Garmin sat nav holder and it's never been what I'd call secure. All it needs is some lowlife scrote to sidle up to your unattended Silver Wing, press the catch on the side and that's your sat nav gone. Or if you accidentally press it, or it's not securely latched on , that's your Zūmo or whatever dropping off and possibly bouncing down the road behind you.

My Garmin sat nav holder is part of a Touratech cradle that clamps down on the Zūmo at the top and bottom after it's placed in it's holder, then I lock it with a key.

I also have the option of removing the supplied tightening knob on any of my small, medium, and large RAM arms and replacing it with a RAM arm locking knob. One of them has a key and the knob is a bit bulky. The newer one is a plastic set up and works very similar to the locking wheel nut on cars.

When in use, after tightening and locking either knob, they turn freely without loosening the arm off.
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2019 7:45 am

I hear you, Meldrew! I always remove satnavs whenever I leave the bike. Even if it's locked in place, I'd rather the little scrotes didn't try and grapple it off, doing damage in the process! It's just an open target, if you ask me...

When I had the VFR1200F, it had the Zumo 550 as the Honda badged factory fitment, and the holder had a clever little locking screw that prevented instant removal. Despite that, I always took the Zumo off.

The Zumo 390LM is the new one I've got, and apart from a couple of niggles with outdated areas on the maps (that my 550 bizarrely DIDN'T have!), it seems to work well enough for what I want.

I like a bit of music if I'm on a long motorway stretch, but apart from receiving an occasional phone call through my Freecom 1, all I need are the satnav directions...
The helmet camera is there for my protection first and foremost. I have no desire to start Vlogging or whatever it's called, so I didn't need it to connect to the satnav or my headset or anything..

Simple but useful is where I'm at...

Equipment-wise at least!
Back to top Go down
Draco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2015-03-13

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2019 11:27 am

Make one of these. Not difficult.

SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice 20190810
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2019 6:42 pm

SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice 2#

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nKHqdX5A3qDT6LU5A

SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice NKHqdX5A3qDT6LU5A

Flat Based Ram Ball Mount
Hope one of the methods works to share just one picture.

What came with my Swing and seems very sturdy is a Ram Ball with flat based  and 4 screw holes.  I used it with a Samsung S5 for google maps.  I think they simply took the plastic off the handle bar, drilled and put in screws with washers and nuts.
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2019 2:40 am

The "DennisB" mount would have been my preferred route, but as it's no longer commercially available and I don't have the engineering skills to build one for myself, I've gone for the next best option..

I didn't want to damage or drill any of the plastics either, so the flat plate with bolts and nuts just wouldn't do it for me...

The wiring's all been done very quickly yesterday and I'm happy with the results. I even picked up a washer off the road on the industrial estate where the bike place is, which is the perfect size for my mount as well! I was walking back from a little cafe around the corner from the garage after grabbing some breakfast to kill some time and I spotted it shining in the road! That'll do, I thought.. and to be fair, there was a lot of stray metalwork in the roads around that little industrial estate, so I stuck it in my pocket and by the time I reached the workshop, the mechanic had pretty much done.

I'll refit the ball mount with the big washer on when I get back into the garage. It's been raining on and off all morning, so I'm not planning on taking the bike out anywhere today...
Back to top Go down
Bruce Burton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2021-03-13

PostSubject: SatNav M6 Ram Mount Advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2021 6:08 am

Thank you all for the information and advice given to me regard mount for my Sat Nav appreciate the time taken. Bruce Burton

(Admin edit) This post moved from a “cross country riding” topic and merged with a previous StaNav mounting topic. 

“Search” is your friend.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice   SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SatNav M6 Ram Mount advice
Page 1 of 1