Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New and would like advice

Go down 
+6
cotetoi
JeffR_
model28a
"Hi Yo"
hardee41
gilesmdavis
10 posters
AuthorMessage
gilesmdavis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2014-09-12

New and would like advice Empty
PostSubject: New and would like advice   New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2014 4:22 pm

Hi all,

I have been in the market for a big scoot for a while. I am a Honda loyalist, although in the selection process I've dabbled with the cheaper Piaggios however the forums put me right off.

Having sold my motorway-eating Deauville in March, I've not needed to hit the tarmac but that's changing.

After lots of research (i.e. "what do Honda do?") I've settled on the Silverwing. It will add to my historical garage of Honda lawnmowers, Varaderos, Transalps, Deauvilles and a CD250 (still in bits).

So, I'm going to view an '03 on Tuesday and it looks great in the pictures but what are the things I should ask before I go (spare key? Toolkit? Warning lights?) and the niggly things I should check - the things that make everyday life a bit of a pain?

I've been lurking here a lot and there's clearly plenty of expertise, so I'm glad to stick my head above the parapet. And hopefully join the tribe next week.

Giles
Back to top Go down
hardee41
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
hardee41

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-07-23

PostSubject: Re: New and would like advice   New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2014 5:28 pm

My questions would be about maintained history. Miles, belt change, oil & filter change, age & miles on tires. etc. Take it for a ride.
Back to top Go down
gilesmdavis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New and would like advice   New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2014 5:34 pm

hardee41 wrote:
My questions would be about maintained history. Miles, belt change, oil & filter change, age & miles on tires. etc. Take it for a ride.

Thanks hardee41

...seems like it's been sitting in a garage for a long while with barely any miles (6,000 apparently!) - makes me concerned about degrading brake lines, rubbers etc. Seller says they've been on a decent ride today though. Tires, oil, filters and plugs recently changed - apparently I'll give them a good visual check.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
New and would like advice 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: New and would like advice   New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2014 6:58 pm

welcome If you go to the main page and look under Honda Silver Wing and click on accessories and modifications, you will find a sticky on problems with the Silver Wing. It's an old post, but has information on recalls (the 2003 has one on some models) and things people have noticed about their Swing. It's a lot of back and forth, but should give you a better feel for how members view their scooter.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New and would like advice   New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2014 8:15 pm

Welcome to the best Silver Wing forum on the web. You sound like you know enough about bikes to make an intelligent decision. Everything but the CTV is about the same as any other bike. If the belt hasn't been changed I would replace it and the same thing with the tires, I wouldn't trust rubber that old. Feel free to ask for help on anything you can't find simple search.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: New and would like advice   New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 12:38 am

Welcome to the site. As others have said about the tires, belt, fluids...I would really ask how old they are? It's a good way to talk them down on money. If they are original you will need to replace the tires and belt and of course change all the fluid. Does it start? If it is an '03 with only 6,000 miles it may run kind of rough. Just my opinion though.
Back to top Go down
gilesmdavis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: I did it   New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 5:56 am

Well, saw the beast this morning and although it was a bit tattier than I'd hoped I put the money down and bought it.

The ride back through London was great, so much easier than my old Deauville.

I'll be asking all sorts of "is this normal?" questions - looking forward to getting to know you all.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: New and would like advice   New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 7:31 am

Welcome to the forum, Giles. You'll lots of good info and advice on the SW from owners who are willing to share their wisdom and knowledge and personal experience.
Last year I bought a 2005 with 3400 km and found that it still had the original tyres and belt. I rode it till it hit 8000 then got very nervous and put new Metzlers on. I am still on the old drive belt, but ordering one for the winter. Our riding season here in New Brunswick, Canada is winding down and it will soon be just warm enough to work on the bike.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: New and would like advice   New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 2:46 pm

Welcome gilesmdavis, I had two Deauvilles before buying my first Silverwing.Once you get to know your Silverwing you'll be able to have even more fun than you did on the Deauville plus, you'll have all that extra storage space. Smile
Back to top Go down
Deno070
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2013-12-06

PostSubject: Re: New and would like advice   New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 3:39 pm

Congrats Gilesmdavis, this site has helped me out a lot. Lots of experienced Swingers here.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: New and would like advice   New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 5:25 pm

Welcome to this site gilesmdavis. As others have stated, this is by far the best SWing site on the planet. Lots of info and friendly people to help.
Back to top Go down
dwoodul
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dwoodul

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2014-08-20

PostSubject: Re: New and would like advice   New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 8:04 pm

Only thing to add is welcome from Dallas...
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: New and would like advice   New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 10:55 pm

I like your avatar dwoodul. Other than the face, color and length of the fur it looks exactly like my cat.
As my son would say, "It looks exactly the same, only different."
Back to top Go down
dwoodul
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dwoodul

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2014-08-20

PostSubject: Re: New and would like advice   New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 6:48 pm

Thanks Dale – He was a young cat when the picture was taken.  He’s a tuxedo cat because of his markings.  He’s about 7 now and has filled out (read fat) since the picture and has turned out to be a great cat.  He’s was adopted like most of our animals.  dwoodul
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
New and would like advice 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: New and would like advice   New and would like advice I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 9:50 pm

dwoodul wrote:
Thanks Dale – He was a young cat when the picture was taken.  He’s a tuxedo cat because of his markings.  He’s about 7 now and has filled out (read fat) since the picture and has turned out to be a great cat.  He’s was adopted like most of our animals.  dwoodul
Totally understand that "filled out" part. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New and would like advice   New and would like advice I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New and would like advice
Page 1 of 1