Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing

Go down 
+3
Meldrew
The Bern
Loosemarbles
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1567
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing   Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2019 12:13 pm

My partner of 20+ years is recovering in hospital from a stroke right now (along with a craniotomy) and it will be a while before she's home and getting on with life but she is keen to eventually get back on the SW.

I have been thinking of ideas to attach some armrests to my SW to help her stability while riding, if indeed, she needs it. We're not sure yet.

I'm thinking of something subtle but strong so as not to spoil the lines of the bike. Has anybody done this? and how? My first thought was to attach them to the grab rail but any ideas would be welcome. :flower:
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing   Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2019 2:09 pm

Would a topbox with a body hugging backrest help bud ? something along the lines of this maybe ? ..........

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Luggage-Rack-and-Top-Box-with-Backrest-for-Harley-Davidson-Touring-Models-00-13/332948443672?hash=item4d85461218:g:HIIAAOSwvdFcEnve
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing   Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2019 2:55 pm

DennisB, maker of the sat nav holder and connector on here, also used to make and sell pillion armrests for forum members

Now while he's been under the radar for a few years now, there might be some long time member in the US that has a set of his pillion armrests they no longer use.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing   Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2019 4:24 pm

Here's a photo and a link to DennisB's arm rest post. As Meldrew notes, DennisB closed shop many years ago and has been MIA for quite a long while as well.
https://www.silverwing600.com/t812-arm-rests-kits-available-now?highlight=Arm+rests

Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing Image19
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing   Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 6:31 am

Wow, that's just what I had in mind. I suppose it's worth emailing DennisB or appealing to forum members. If that fails I do have a friend who is quite nifty with welding equipment who might help me out on this.

Thanks all.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing   Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2022 5:31 am

As the forum is rather quiet I thought I would announce my armrests project. I'm waiting for the brackets to arrive which a local welder is making for me. The rest of the job is DIY. There are a couple of unknowns to overcome but if my theory is correct it just might work.

My idea is a little unorthodox because they need to meet a specific purpose in my case.

I'll post the project when it's finished. Hopefully in about a week or so. Exclamation
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing   Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2022 9:14 am

Sounds interesting, Chris; watching closely!
I expect you've seen the picture of the ones Dennis made some years ago:

https://www.silverwing600.com/gallery/Personal-album-of-DennisB/arm-rest18-pic_513.htm
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing   Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2022 11:27 am

Yes, they were very smart and I was sorry that he wasn't able to market them to us. I started by going along the same lines as Dennis's but had to have a long hard think.

I've had to take a different approach because I need them to be very 'sturdy' but still 'subtle' and not oversized.

I'm anxious to get going with these so I'm hoping I can have the brackets back early next week. (This Monday being a Bank Holiday is not helping)!

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing   Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2022 11:31 am

Understood.
My appetite for progress reports is even whetter now! Smile
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing   Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2022 8:51 am

I finally finished the armrests for my SW. I needed these to be rather sturdy to help support my Partner, Allie, although she insists that she doesn’t need them and has actually ridden without them but I feel better knowing she has extra support if she needs it. Because of Allie’s disability I will attach the armrests ‘after’ she is seated and remove them ‘before’ she dismounts.

(I had to do this on a tight budget and had them formed from a piece of mild steel which I had lying around).

These are the armrests with some office chair armpads attached. I went for an inverted keyhole attachment so that they can be removed easily:

Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing Arm_re10

This was by means of using Shoulder Bolts:

Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing Should10

I then drilled and tapped the holes to attach the armrests to the sissy bar:

Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing Holes_10

The keyholes allow for easy attachment and removal:

Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing Should11

Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing Arm_re12

Securely attached:

Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing Arm_re13

Some pics of the finished product:

Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing Arm_re14

Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing Arm_re16

Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing Arm_re15

Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing Sw_ful10

I made these using only hand tools. I’m sure that anybody with machine tools and more metalwork experience could easily do something similar and perhaps use aluminium to save weight. They are also interchangeable so that you could have the arm pads facing inwards if required.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing   Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2022 9:44 am

Beautiful job Chris!

Thank so much you for sharing the photos. I’m sure that it will inspire others.

Be careful raising the seat. It’s liable to drag on the bolt heads and tear the luxurious vinyl.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing   Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2022 7:50 am

Very nice project! Thanks for sharing with us.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing   Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2022 5:30 pm

'Necessity is the mother of invention'....Idea
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing   Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2022 8:28 pm

You did quite well on that project- looks like a factory piece- well done! I wonder if Allie could sit in the drivers seat initially and use the rests to push herself up to the pillion position vs having to take one side off each time (and I would assume it depends on her level of disability).
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing   Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2022 10:57 pm

I'm pretty sure that will be one of the methods we will try. It would make life easier although I did design them to detach.

Watching us get on and off the bike will be like a scene from a Laurel and Hardy movie!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing   Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Armrests for pillion on the Silverwing
Page 1 of 1