Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Panic stop I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Today at 9:04 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Panic stop I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Panic stop I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» checking the oil
Panic stop I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Panic stop I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Panic stop I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Panic stop I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Panic stop I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Panic stop I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Panic stop I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Panic stop

Go down 
+4
Easyrider
Cosmic_Jumper
Mech 1 twa
Delray
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Panic stop Empty
PostSubject: Panic stop   Panic stop I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2019 8:17 pm

Anybody know what happens if you turn a Silver Wing key to the Off position while doing 20 or 30 mph (or faster)?

I was just musing about panic stops ... say, catastrophic brake failure ... how would I reduce my speed?

I know the axiom with a car is turn the key off and put it in neutral and use the parking brake, but of course there's no neutral on a Wing.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Panic stop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panic stop   Panic stop I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2019 8:31 pm

Lights will go out. ABS will not work if you have it. Normal braking will be fully functional minus ABS  but no problem stopping.  Drive belt will free wheel once engine is off.

I've coasted down a few hills the silence is nice . Just the wind.

Total brake failure? PRAY.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Panic stop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panic stop   Panic stop I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2019 9:38 pm

"Drive belt will free wheel once engine is off."

That's precisely what I was looking for, thank you!

Do you turn the key back on and the engine resumes after you're done coasting down the hills?

The experience of silent gliding sounds tempting. There are nights along the ocean when the moon is full and there's no traffic ....
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Panic stop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panic stop   Panic stop I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2019 10:27 pm

Delray wrote:
"Drive belt will free wheel once engine is off."

That's precisely what I was looking for, thank you!

Do you turn the key back on and the engine resumes after you're done coasting down the hills?

The experience of silent gliding sounds tempting. There are nights along the ocean when the moon is full and there's no traffic ....

Of course you'll have to come to a complete stop so that you can fully apply the rear brake to engage the Start microswitch. As mech 1 mentions, with the engine OFF the centrifical clutch disengages. The scoot can't be bump started.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Panic stop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panic stop   Panic stop I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2019 10:48 pm

"Of course you'll have to come to a complete stop so that you can fully apply the rear brake to engage the Start microswitch."

Good clarification, thanks. Now I have a good mental picture of my options if I need them (and I most likely never will).

Haha, also good to update my technological thinking -- I started many cheap cars with buddies at the ages of 16, 17, 18 by pushing them until they hit a certain speed and then popping the clutch or turning the key on.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Panic stop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panic stop   Panic stop I_icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2019 12:25 am

In an emergency, try applying a little bit of the parking brake. As mentioned, that brake is used to lock the rear wheel when parking your Swing, but in a pinch, I would apply it gradually to slow the bike. Won't do much in a panic braking situation.
I can't see both front and rear brakes failing at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Panic stop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panic stop   Panic stop I_icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2019 1:35 pm

Delray says in a car you put it in neural and use the handbrake, really, taking the drive away from the engine ( that you can use for braking) I don't think so. As for using the hand brake of the Silverwing, in an emergency stop, you take your right hand off the front brake, and lean down to take hold of the parking brake how does that make sense! You would never turn the engine off whilst riding ( why would you)? In an Emergency both hands would be firmly on the handlebars pulling on both brakes and looking for an escape route, well it would in the UK.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Panic stop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panic stop   Panic stop I_icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2019 2:48 pm

Delray wrote:

I know the axiom with a car is turn the key off and put it in neutral and use the parking brake

Please, please, please do NOT EVER turn off the key in a moving car. The steering lock will engage and no matter how bad your day has been up to that point it will just get worse.

On the bike just grab both brakes (its unlikely both will fail).
If they do just close the throttle and engine braking will slow you down till about 10 mph when the centrifugal will disengage. At this point feel free to grab the handbrake it.
If you are pointing downhill the bike will start to accelerate again (gravity can be s treacherous thing). At this point I would recommend aiming for something soft or just jumping off.
If at the point of brake failure you are progressing swiftly downhill on a twisty road you have the option of developing GP level cornering skills or learning to play the harp!
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Panic stop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panic stop   Panic stop I_icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2019 3:11 pm

"Please, please, please do NOT EVER turn off the key in a moving car. The steering lock will engage ..."

Excellent James Brown exhortation, thank you ("Please ... please ... please ...").

My bad. I graduated from high school in 1972 and my buddies and I drove American beaters from the mid- to late-60's. No steering wheel locks on those babies. Although I believe with the ones that did have locks, you could turn the power off (keeping the battery on) and not lock the steering wheel.

I drive a Prius now and there's a Power button that provides no choice. Wax on or wax off ("The Karate Kid"). I have no idea what would happen if I turned off the power while moving. I may try it later at low speed in an empty parking lot, though. Now I'm curious.

"If you are pointing downhill the bike will start to accelerate again ... at this point I would recommend aiming for something soft or just jumping off."

I've told more than one motorcycle buddy (who has told me my Wing looks like a girl's bicycle) that it's actually safer than a traditional bike. In an emergency, I don't have to dismount. I can jump left or right instantly and toss the bike the other way. Again, highly unlikely that will ever happen, but I've prepared for it in my head.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Panic stop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panic stop   Panic stop I_icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2019 5:24 am

Why on earth in those circumstances would anyone want to kill the engine with the key?
My Silverwing has a 'Kill' switch.

In my X9 days I managed to inadvertently operated the Kill switch whilst travelling between 50 and 60 MPH. My excuse is that the Heated Grips switch on the X9 is/was mounted on top of the Kill switch housing and I had handlebar muffs on the bike.

My superior skill and calmness (believe that if you will!) enabled me to very quickly turn on the switch again and do the business with ignition switch and brake-lever, on both occasions being quick enough to avoid being rear-ended by following cars.

I certainly don't advocate switching off the engine as a way of stopping forward motion; others here have made the point much more clearly than I could but all should not be lost if the Kill switch is activated 'on the move'.

Incidentally, for the benefit of friends here who live in and/or know South Essex, I was travelling along the A127 Southend Road, not the most user-friendly highway in the South-East of England! Razz
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Panic stop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panic stop   Panic stop I_icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2019 7:12 am

Why would anyone want to jump from scooter? Or turn off key, or try to use parking brake? I say get some real riding experience.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Panic stop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panic stop   Panic stop I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Panic stop
Page 1 of 1