Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» New member from Europe
Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Got hit at a stop sign from behind

Go down 
+17
Mech 1 twa
cotetoi
oldwingguy
Pastor Ron
lewjayjr
john123
surlybiker58
kbcmdba
ultralight
DarthJ
MikeO
"Hi Yo"
DickO
NWSSC
Waspie
john grinsel
ridr44
21 posters
AuthorMessage
ridr44
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-06-04

Got hit at a stop sign from behind Empty
PostSubject: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 6:51 am

Just reporting to everyone how important it is to look behind you whenever you stop. I usually do but this time I didn't. I was on a small side street roaming along very slowly and enjoying the view. I stopped at a stop sign while looking behind me to see a pickup truck. When I moved away from the sign I was caught by surprise when the truck, without me noticing was passing me on the left and suddenly beeped his horn at me. I was a bit disconcerted and continued to move along while watching the truck ahead, amazed at how much of a rush everyone is in. While contemplating this in my head I stopped at the next sign without looking behind me, as this was a totally quiet setting in a neighborhood. And BAM...the bike flew out from under me (no driver backrest) and I somehow just stumbled out to the right, falling fairly gently, getting up quickly and looking back to see a young girl in an suv frantically talking into her phone...apparently telling the listener that she just hit a motorcycle. The bike was scratched up, the police came, and because the girl had had a bunch of accidents and they didn't want their insurance cancelled, they bought my bike from me at a fair price. Luckily I was not hurt. Just a reminder to look behind you..everyone is distracted these days. Be safe...Dan
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 7:05 am

Looks like cell phone involved? Driving standards are very low in US. I also have been hit from behind on my ReFlex while I was stopped at stop sign....lady on phone, who had no intention of stopping---I and scooter ended up on roof of Dodge mini van, that didn't hurt me BUT fall from top with bike screwed up my right hand, requiring fix. Bike totaled. Long insurance fight.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 10:21 am

Dan, the main thing is you are OK, that is paramount.

When I had my accident in my car I was so glad I wasn't on the bike.

Just goes to prove idiots are behind the steering wheel of potential killing machines = cars!!!!! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 11:18 am

The main point is that you were not injured.There seems to be two important items in riding,experience and luck In our group we try and stress ride like they do not see you. I mean no disrespect but I believe you gave a wrong impression by not pursing this matter. If this person has had several accidents they did not learn anything from this experience.
We had a female rider killed here (on a Harley) getting hit from
behind at a stop sign by a another female who was manicuring her nails while driving. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
ridr44
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 1:46 pm

Not sure what you mean by pursuing it?
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 1:50 pm

ridr44,
Don't like to read these types of stories. Still, it lets us know just how scary the bike world can be. So glad to hear it wasn't any worse for you. Like "NWSSC" said before, sometimes luck (or fate) has a hand in these things... my preference is that God had a hand in it. Anyway, happy you're okay.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Got hit at a stop sign from behind 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 2:18 pm

Dan, I'm glad to hear that you are okay. Of course they wouldn't want insurance and threats of whiplash and future ailments involved. Just take care of the little girl and get her back on the road to run over someone else.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 4:07 pm

'Pursuing it' - taking the matter further with police and insurance rather than dropping the matter by settling, in this case by the guilty party buying the bike.

Glad you're not damaged yourself, Dan.
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 1:42 am

Here's why she bought the bike: if damage over $1,000, a report MUST be filed. You need to get the bike checked by a dealer to assess if there is less than that. If it's over and no report is filed, YOUR license can be suspended for failure to report a collision.

http://www.troopers.ny.gov/FAQs/Traffic_Safety/Collisions/
Back to top Go down
ridr44
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 4:14 am

The police came and a report was filed. The claim that was started with the insurance company was later dropped when the phone/driver decided to buy the bike.
Back to top Go down
ultralight
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ultralight

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 2:44 am

I'm glad you are okay.

When I got rear-ended at a stop light (that had just turned green), the driver (female) of the Mazda SUV drove off without stopping. Luckily, it wasn't hard enough to cause me to drop the bike.
Back to top Go down
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 12:40 am

ridr44 wrote:
Just reporting to everyone how important it is to look behind you whenever you stop. I usually do but this time I didn't. I was on a small side street roaming along very slowly and enjoying the view. I stopped at a stop sign while looking behind me to see a pickup truck. When I moved away from the sign I was caught by surprise when the truck, without me noticing was passing me on the left and suddenly beeped his horn at me. I was a bit disconcerted and continued to move along while watching the truck ahead, amazed at how much of a rush everyone is in. While contemplating this in my head I stopped at the next sign without looking behind me, as this was a totally quiet setting in a neighborhood. And BAM...the bike flew out from under me (no driver backrest) and I somehow just stumbled out to the right, falling fairly gently, getting up quickly and looking back to see a young girl in an suv frantically talking into her phone...apparently telling the listener that she just hit a motorcycle. The bike was scratched up, the police came, and because the girl had had a bunch of accidents and they didn't want their insurance cancelled, they bought my bike from me at a fair price. Luckily I was not hurt. Just a reminder to look behind you..everyone is distracted these days. Be safe...Dan

Amazing to say the least that you were able to walk away. Not sure about you, but boogerheads driving distracted like that are just asking for trouble. I'm not so sure I would have been as easily forgiving. I mean, if the person is already worried about losing insurance but won't take distracted driving seriously, maybe it's time to let the insurance company make that call. Yikes.

Just to stress the point further, I may have asked for civil damages due to the driver's negligence and wanton disregard for public safety and made sure they had some really good time to think about it but to put the money into a trust for yourself to pay for any future medical bills related to the crash. If, after a time, you felt that the trust was no longer needed, you could donate it to a charity or similar just to demonstrate to the world that you're not trying to make money off it.

The other driver should be very happy she didn't run a pedestrian over and kill that person. Luckily, your bike was able to absorb quite a bit of the impact.

This story only makes me want Dennis's light kits that much more. Thanks!

Glad to hear you're okay. :-)
Back to top Go down
http://kbcmdba.blogspot.com/
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 7:48 am

Point: only 1 or 2 % of two wheel accidents are hits from behind----more emphasis should be on the skill of the rider behind the bars. For US more than 50% of bike accidents are single vehicle----probably lack of skill or judgement. For me over 1.5 million miles,, one hard hit from behind, one light tap at toll booth in Japan. Many close calls as single rider using too much speed or just plain poor judgement....but not in the woods or weeds yet. BUT always be on the look out for the enemy in PickUps or SUV's.
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2012 7:38 pm

Maryland has them all over the place too !
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 8:52 pm

I was stopped at a red light on my BMW wears ago, the light turned green, I moved up a few feet in order to turn left and this lady bumped me from behind.
This is before cell phones were small, and the bike went down.
Minor whip lash and nothing else but my wife made me sell my 1 year old live.
Back to top Go down
lewjayjr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2017-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2017 3:12 pm

Where I live the scary thing is coming up to a traffic light turning yellow. You HAVE to look behind you because the yahoos hit the gas to go through the light. I was in my cager once and was stopping for the yellow light and a damn schoolbus came blowing by on the left. No kids on board but still......
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2017 4:05 pm

This is why I went out and bought two red LED flashing lights that I place on top of my rack on top of my GIVI box. This will attract attention, also, (GOD forbid), will show law enforcement that I did everything I could to try and prevent the accident.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2017 6:15 pm

Looks like cell phone involved? Driving standards are very low in US.<<>> No John they are ok it's just like other laws, some take them to heart some just don't care and cause the majority of the problems, we have a law that states when wipers are on headlights must be on, MANY just ignore that law also and keep on driving.

Pastor Ron if those lights are on continuously here in o-HI-o they would be illegal, you MIGHT get away with it if they are actuated by the brake lights.

The bike was scratched up, the police came, and because the girl had had a bunch of accidents and they didn't want their insurance cancelled, they bought my bike from me at a fair price. ridr44 I'm glad you were NOT hurt but letting that repeat offender off just freed her again to repeat her acts, who knows what the next time? a death? SadSad
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2017 6:27 pm

When drivers are distracted for any reason, mistakes happen. I was cut off on the highway off-ramp because the driver/carpenter was in a hurry to turn around for something he forgot at his job site. Cell phones are definitely a big distraction.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Oldwinguy....I have them battery powered, sepetate from brakes that blink continuously...and....They are legal in NC
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 5:09 pm

Glad you're OK.

Watch out for the red light runners or others who don't even know its red. I've seen a few accidents like this always bad. I never pull out until I look both ways. Too many distracted drivers out there.
Sad thing is if they kill you just get a ticket for $100. Laws are changing though.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 22, 2017 11:35 pm

Oregon just passed a new law on distracted driving. Big fine if you're seen holding a phone or other electronic item in your hand while at the wheel. They are pretty rigid enforcing the new law in this area. I have hands free Bluetooth in all three of our vehicles. I have one on my bike helmet that works great, I don't have to touch it, just tell Siri whom to dial for an out-going call and tell her to answer an incoming. Works great, clear audio at highway speed. In both cars the phone is voice operated, no need to touch anything.
Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2017-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2017 2:42 am

At long last the Cops here in South Africa are actively clamping down on cagers on cellphones. Unfortunately running red traffic lights is a national past time. Checking your rear mirrors when braking is a priority!
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2017 5:40 am

Never understand why the penalties of using a mobile when driving aren't higher over here.

The best(worst) I've come across was a delivery driver approaching a T-junction with a mobile in one hand, making notes on a clipboard resting on the steering wheel with the other hand!
Should be the same penalty as drink-driving - big fine and a driving ban.
I think part of the problem is that when the law regarding mobiles first came into force in England, the police issued verbal warnings for the first three months before they started issuing fines. Obviously some drivers think they're still in that period!
I don't think a £60 FPN and three penalty points is much of a deterrent to most people.

How about ignition on, mobile off unless you are hands free?

(Sits back and waits for the arguments!! Smile)
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2017 6:57 am

How about ignition on, mobile off unless you are hands free?

A good idea but stateside not much support for it, hands free is the best compromise so far. At a buck a crack I'd be riding a new Spyder for the number of times the light was green and the driver was just setting there either admiring their crotch Sad or texting.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2017 9:29 pm

I've often thought it would be easy to prevent a lot of this stuff. For instance the cell phone knows where it is and how fast it's going. A program in the phone's OS could easily make it impossible if you're in an area, like on a freeway or city street to make or receive more than a missed call indication. It could restrict the phone from operating when moving except for 911 calls. iPhones and most Android based units also have acceleration sensors. If you are hitting the brakes a lot, such as on winding roads and in town it could prevent the phone from being used except for 911.
I use a built-in GPS in both of my cars, neither one will allow setting a destination unless the car isn't moving and the gear selector is in park. You can watch it but you can't really diddle around with it when moving. A great idea I thought.

One of our cars has a warning system that alerts someone coming up from behind. It's a simple circuit and solid state radar chip that does the job. It wouldn't cost much to make them for a scooter or bike. You'd only need one sensor each end and a singly warning light/alarm buzzer. That would keep people behind you from texting the rider into the next world and also alert 'head in the clouds' riders if traffic in front of them had slowed down or stopped. These are all software modifications and a few inexpensive electronic parts.
Back to top Go down
Bairdb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2017-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2017 2:20 pm

ridr44
Thanks for this post encouraging caution about distracted driving. Sure glad you're ok.
One question remains, the passing, honking truck.. Do you think he saw her behavior and, was attempting to warn you and, did he stop to assist?
Blain
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Got hit at a stop sign from behind   Got hit at a stop sign from behind I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Got hit at a stop sign from behind
Page 1 of 1