Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Howdy All! I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Howdy All! I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Howdy All! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Howdy All! I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Howdy All! I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Howdy All! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Howdy All! I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Howdy All! I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Howdy All! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Howdy All! I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Howdy All!

Go down 
+2
Cosmic_Jumper
mouka
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mouka
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2015-05-06

Howdy All! Empty
PostSubject: Howdy All!   Howdy All! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2019 10:24 am

Howdy all!

I have been away from this forum for a while because I sold my 2007 Silverwing. Anyway, I now found a 2009 Silverwing with a bit over 9000 miles selling for a decent price. I am interested in buying it. However I wanted to know what I was getting into. The bike looks great. The price sounds right too. I offered $2000 and the owner said he would let it go for $2500. I am hoping we could meet halfway.
What maintenance tasks should I expect to do for this bike? It has new tires and new brakes. I plan on changing the oil and the brakes fluid as well as changing the battery and some other minor maintenance tasks. What I wanted to know if I needed to do some valves adjustments or some complex maintenance tasks for a bike with 9000 miles.

Thank you for the invaluable input.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Howdy All! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy All!   Howdy All! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2019 12:26 pm

Hello Mouka. Welcome to the forum.

No complex maintenance needed. In all the years I've been on various Silverwing forums no one has ever reported the need for valve adjustment. Change the oil & filter and plan on buying a new belt to have on-hand when the time comes. Belt replacement is relatively easy as DIY and expensive at the dealer.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Howdy All! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy All!   Howdy All! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2019 12:57 pm

mouka, your reservations were also my concern when I bought my 16000 mile 2001 SW. If you're proficient with some tools and I guess you already know about the SW, then I wouldn't worry too much about the engine. Maybe look at things like steering head, suspension, wheel bearings, electrics etc.

BTW, if it's had new brakes then I would assume the fluid is still fresh?
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Howdy All! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy All!   Howdy All! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2019 2:46 pm

Mouka,
First, check to see if the PO has a maintenance log. That will tell you how much care was given and the date of the change.
Second, make sure you get to ride it. Listen for noises when idling and when under way.
Third, check for wheel bearing wear by placing the bike on main stand and spin the rear tire looking for side-to-side wobble. Next shake the rear wheel side-to-side and again check for looseness. The front wheel can be checked for looseness to same way.
Check that all the lights (tail, turn, brake, head, dashboard) are working.
If equipped, the ABS light will turn off after the bike reaches around six mph. If it stays on after riding, there maybe something wrong with the Antilock Braking System.
Good luck! Make sure you come back with a status update!
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Howdy All! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy All!   Howdy All! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2019 5:34 pm

Sounds like a good deal! Go with the tasks mentioned above. I will add the spark plugs, Honda recommends replacement at 8K. I doubt if it is necessary that early but I replaced mine at about 8500 miles with NGK Iridium plugs about 15K ago and will probably never look at them again. There is a pictorial on here that shows what an easy job that is. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
mouka
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2015-05-06

Howdy All! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy All!   Howdy All! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2019 6:02 pm

I have just received an email from the owner and he agreed to meet me halfway. So I probably will be getting my SW for $2250. I think it is a good price for a 2009 model.
I will give it a test ride before handing over the cash. It is not located too far from where I live. So I will probably be riding it back home this weekend.
I have owned bikes from a Yamaha Zuma and Honda Metropolitan to a Triumph Rocket 3 that has a 2300 ccs engine. I currently own a 2005 Suzuki C50. It is an 805 ccs cruiser that I ride around town. The SW will be a nice addition to my stable.
I will keep you updated next week.
Thanks a lot for the invaluable input. It is forums like this one that make owning a bike very easy.
Peace and ride safe!
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1983
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Howdy All! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy All!   Howdy All! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2019 6:10 pm

Hi mouka and welcome back. As you probably know this is the BEST SWing site on the net. I have an 08 SWing that I've had converted over to a trike and like it. I do as much of my own maintenance as I can mainly because I'm cheap! I've learned a lot just by being a member here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Howdy All! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy All!   Howdy All! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Howdy All!
Page 1 of 1