Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?

Go down 
+28
smith3mr
BarryH
sonuvabug
Az Kicker
pgnz
Easyrider
Mech 1 twa
Dale N.
Chris Olson
DLK
heinlein
lewjayjr
bikehiker
Michel Vachon
MikeO
oldwingguy
gavinfdavies
GHM-PM
David Willett
Cosmic_Jumper
dekare
Scootypuff Snr
DickO
cotetoi
Loosemarbles
dspevack
Meldrew
john grinsel
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? Empty
PostSubject: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 12:36 pm

I see hardly anybody using these scooters or any scooters for long trips. Why? Most old farts no longer work, even thought SilverWings are getting old, they still work. Many who have gotten older, may have moved to lighter scooters/bikes that work.

Anyway something to think about. Although I really make no exact plans, I will do several long trips this year to keep busy (Chattanooga really boring and expensive place to live) Some changes to my normal way---no more Motel 6 as many are India owned/managed......and they are terrible Inn Keepers----so they will not get my business.

Plan to go back to camping, less miles per day---motels only in really bad weather. Scooter for this year Kymco XTown 300i ABS---set up to be comfortable and safe----some attemps at lowering load, like lighter rear box (Bestem small but big enough for dog, using only one rubber bag on passenger seat) waiting for small soft saddle bags to arrive, using my Givi hump bag to bring some weight forward, in spite of more difficulty getting on bike.

AND Puig touring shield to bring buffeting down and more wind protection in cold/rain.

Have plenty of bike clothes choices----important to me to stay dry and not get too cold/hot or wet.

Helmet, GMAX 3/4 with long visor.....really handy riding into sun.

I never ask anybody to go with....as they will not or are dead.

So have fun riding.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 1:33 pm

Is it really that important? I've already been to Israel and Malta this year. I'm going to the Italian Amalfi Coast, Sorrento, and Naples next month, Düsseldorf in Germany in July, touring in France on my Forza in early September, and to Montenegro later in the month. They're already booked and I wouldn't be surprised if Mrs M books us something else in between.

I've already cancelled hotel bookings in the Black Forest, and the Westerwald in June this year, simply because after a while one scenic forest area looks pretty much like another.

Apart from the my Forza trip that requires an expensive overnight North Sea ferry crossings, I can fly to and from all the ther places I mentioned for far less cash than my usual ferry crossing and be there in a couple of hours or so. On a couple of these trips I can get by with just hand luggage.

It's no longer a big deal thinking I have to go somewhere on a motorcycle or maxi scooter, I'm happy flying, driving, by rail, cycling, and going by sea.

Last edited by Meldrew on Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 1:59 pm

John,

While the Silverwing bike hasn't changed and is just as capable as its always been, times have changed since its glory days.  Traffic is worse, Gas is higher, disposable income is lower, and motorcycling is more expensive in terms of hiring a professional mechanic to fix a bike. Its also much easier to find people to share with you the ride and driving of a larger vehicle (which allows you to transport more stuff) on a vacation, then it is to find people who also want to do all the work.  You said yourself "I never ask anybody to go with....as they will not or are dead."
The very fact that you have downsized shows that health and convenience factors also play a part.

Two wheelers have become more segmented.  We now have the categories of electric scooters and motorcycles, and automatic motorcycles .  I think that as scooter riders get older those who want to take two or three wheeled trips are focused a little more on luxury, and choose larger bikes which are more stable, easier to handle and can carry more stuff. Scooters are used for day trips and around town.
Lastly, when riding a scooter (or motorcycle for that matter) becomes more of a chore or expense compared to flying/driving/public transport, or you have to inconvenience yourself by taking less stuff then you want, people aren't going on vacation to challenge themselves on what they can do without. They are going to enjoy themselves and use whatever form of transportation is most convenient.

Is it possible the reason people will not join you is because they are not as hard-core as you are?
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 2:38 pm

An interesting subject. We travel to Northern France and Belgium quite frequently on the SW. One advantage is having most of our clothes and toiletries already there, at Allie's Sister's place in Leuven, Belgium.

My only moan would be longer legs. If the SW had a 900 or 1000cc engine I think it would feel more durable. People tell me that the SW was designed to 'work'. At 80mph and running about 6 to 6.5rpm it does feel like the poor thing is screaming for mercy. However, when you get used the engine tone it seems fine. It was meant to rev 'high' and I don't have any doubts about taking the bike to Italy or Southern Spain or even Scandinavia and Eastern Europe.

Long distance riding is usually undertaken by people who like to ride...me! The SW has everything I need from a bike right now, sure, I'd like a new Kawasaki Versys but I'd miss the baggage capacity (I don't want panniers) so the SW does it.

I have found that most motorcyclists now fall into three categories: 1. People who have been riding all their lives, (Bikers). 2. People who have hit a mid-life crisis and have the money to buy 'all the kit' and pretend to be bikers. 3. Harley Riders (no explanation needed!)

The common bond is the fact that all we ride bikes. It depends what you get from it...personally, I find it hard to explain but I'd rather be on the bike (with or without pillion) than be anywhere else.

Load your bike up and go. My next project is to do a camping trip in France without panniers...wish me luck!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 3:03 pm

First who wants to go on car trip?---I have new Genesis and new Mitsuibishi Mirage if I really want a car trip. But what fun is that? I only drive the Mirage when I have to, the Gensis=never, really not fun at all. Wife likes it----2 and half barge in my world.

As rider,, who has been doing this everyday since 1955, have no intension to stop. When I go to Japan/Korea or Europe I fly---Air Force Space Available----domestic in US, seldom. Jobs put me flying a lot/25% of life spent in hotels or transit quarters-----bike trips are fun for me.

Think for old farts bike trips are fun/healthy....but of course dangerous, too. Trailer bikers suck.

Think most people do not attempt long bike/scooter trips as they are Wimps or never done before and afraid to try. Doing it is adventure.

On the road lately in US you see mostly Harleys.....maybe they are so far underwater on their finance plan, they need to ride the value out of their bikes. Some even have rainsuits now.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 3:41 pm

Adventure is right. Cars are boring. We get more of the road and don't have to sit in queues, with care! I hate driving.

Of course riding is 'dangerous', is that what gives us the buzz? I believe that everybody should have to ride a bike or scooter before they are allowed to drive a car, by law. Maybe that would even the playing field and enlighten people. Lecture over, let's ride!
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 5:44 pm

I think it all depends on when the bug sank its fangs into you. I got bit at 57. At the time I was recovering from a life altering illness: never had any desire to ride previously. It also meant something challenging. I persevered and got my license. I plan 2-3 day trips all winter, but when riding season comes, a thousand things crop up.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 6:32 pm

john grinsel wrote:

Think most people do not attempt long bike/scooter trips as they are Wimps or never done before and afraid to try. Doing it is adventure.

Not everyone's life has gone "exactly" like yours, John... but then, opinions are like those infamous a**holes... everyone's got one and they generally stink...  'course, that's just my opinion.  Have a good day.

Last edited by DickO on Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 6:34 pm

john grinsel wrote:
First who wants to go on car trip?

Second, who want's to go or a boring road trip staying in cheapo motels, where the sole purpose of that trip seems to clocking up miles to brag about on here. The high point being a totally unnecessary oil change at journeys end before riding back home.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 6:55 pm

john grinsel wrote:
I see hardly anybody using these scooters

So have fun riding.

The old jokes says why do dogs lick their balls and the punchline was because they can.

Mr Grinsel you have the swingers big enough to do it & make my 600 mile in a day jaunts look punitive.

Keep riding keep posting
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 7:17 pm

John,
What you see on the road is probably comparative to the number of scooter sales in the U.S. vs. conventional motorcycle sales, such as the Harley. There are just many more Harley's than Scooters, therefore, you see fewer scooter's in general.

And then add the fact that many people are not physically in the shape you are and suffer from various ailments that keep them at home or they travel by car.

Keep at it John. You're an inspiration to all!

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 9:10 pm

john grinsel wrote:
I see hardly anybody using these scooters or any scooters for long trips. < Snip>

Plan to go back to camping, less miles per day---motels only in really bad weather.  

So then what are your top three long-trip riding destinations, and your top three camping locations?

And, "Which ever way the wind blows" and "No matter where you go, there you are" doesn't count as a valid response.

Tim
Back to top Go down
David Willett
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2019-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 9:42 pm

I will list some of my scooters and miles ridden over the years, however most of us do not measure our enjoyment by miles.  Rode 4 or 5 Honda Helix's.  04 400 Burgman-46,000 miles.  06 Burgman 650-179,000 miles.  08 Burgman 54,000 miles.  2012 650 Burgman 171,000 miles. These were sold or traded.  Ridding a 2011 Burgman now with 79,000 miles.  Wanted to try something different. Found a used 08 Silverwing with 4,100 miles.  Has 9,900 miles on it now.  For the Harley bashers--Ridding a 1999 HD Ultra-Classic with 306,000 miles.  Rode a 1987 Harley FLTC 417,000 documented miles.  Harley wanted the 87 (most miles on the Evolution engine) for display.  Traded even for the 1999.  My first ride was a bicycle  with a motor when I was 14.  I am 85 years old and ride most every day.  North Carolina has pretty mild winters for ridding. Favorite destinations--Big Horn Mountains, Wyoming. Glacier National Park, Montana. 101 coastal highway Calif. Key West, Florida. Usually Camped. Never new what my true destination was until I was headed home.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 6:24 am

Answering questions----I have already ridden to 49 states, some many times, camping is where I stop or plan to sleep.

Since I lived/worked/rode over 20 years in Europe----only thing I can think of to do again, Stella Alpina rally and as I used to do, treat myself to 1st class hotel, Elephant rally also interesting.

Japan---ridden from one end to the other, in 20 years in the country. Like riding there but more interested in the food.

Ride bike for all transport needs you build up a lot of miles---being active and probably not being married----I am lucky, jobs/locations/did all my business travel on bikes (big shots did not like that) and later in life making enough money, being single and having a car on stand by in case it snowed....but seldom using the car, just as now with my Mirage----yesterday went to lunch, in the rain on scooter, ran errand for wife later in day, storm, unsure of traffic blockage, took Mirage, did enjoy heater/AC/defrost to clear windows

In Europe, did enjoy early spring trip to North Cap in Norway----carried MRE's, slept where I could, huts, even snow banks.

I never make concrete plans or promises......just go.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 8:22 am

From me, John, keep riding I enjoy your exploits! Keep those trips coming. As to me I have done several 1000-2000 mile trips on my Silver Wing, and it performs GREAT. I am over due for sure. Look at the ride reports from a few years ago and you can see the pictures, all you new riders. I try an avoid the big cities (Phoenix etc.). People drive like idiots and don't get me started on cell phones and drivers TEXTING...

Anyway we are all different, some don't have the health to do long trips and others have never done them and don't feel comfortable. Myself, I just having trouble scheduling my next jaunt. But if you do ride keep us posted and show us pictures if you can!!!
Back to top Go down
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2017-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 8:51 am

For my personal situation, there are a few reasons why now I don't expect to do any long distance tours on my Swing.

1) With the missus and luggage the handling is so far degraded, I can no longer enjoy throwing the bike around as I can when solo and empty. For me this robs one of the main attractions. If I loose the swoopiness of a bike, I might as well take the car.

2) the unpredictable weather: since I have to plan long trips in advance due to the wife taking time off, I can't choose to ride/postpone based on weather. E.g. our August trip to Sweden would be torturous if it were to rain - 3x 10 hour days in wet gear (cos the water always gets in eventually) on main roads. No thanks. So we're flying instead. At least in the soft-top car I can put the roof up.

3) The wife gets bored on the back. She prefers the car as at least she can cross-stich or knit, plus we can both listen to an audiobook on longer duller stretches. Hence the car is more suitable.

4) While I do enjoy the Swing's acceleration and wind in my face etc, but my car is a 5.7 V8 soft-top, so that ticks both those boxes.

5) Luggage - yes, as bikes go the swing is cavernous, but we can still take more camping stuff in the car and be more comfy when we get there. For solo trips the bike's enough as I can use the back seat, but it's nice to take the wife sometimes.

Now, in the Swing's favour it does sip less fuel, about 50mpg versus the V8 which drinks at best 28mpg, but driven in a more enjoyable manner it's more like 23mpg. But taken in the context on a long expensive trip, the cost difference pales. On our Sweden trip (1,300 miles each way), the Swing would need 52 gallons in total, versus the V8 at twice that. 52 gallons extra = about 236 litres @ £1.2 a litre = under £300. By way of comparison, the accommodation, food, ticket etc for the trip comes to about £1,500-£2,000. So that £300 is sod all in the grad scheme of things.

So basically for me, in an odd twist of fate, a thirsty 2002 Chevy Camaro Z28 convertible with a 340hp 5.7 V8 has somehow managed to fill almost all the niches that my Swing used to fill. Those that the car doesn't cover (carving through the twisties etc), are filled by my Kawasaki GPX250. This possibly says something about how much easier it is to have fun on a bike than in a car (it took a 5.7 V8 to be as much fun or better than a 600cc scooter!), but if you can afford the car, then why not enjoy it?

Hence why I'm planning to sell my Swing :-(

Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 9:06 am

HEALTH, no other reason from here.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 10:48 am

Nobody using scooters for long trips?  Over here in Blighty there were around fifty Trad scooters using a local York garden centre car park as a meeting place on Sunday morning, I spotted at least a couple of dozen more joining the group while I was outside pushing a trolley load of plants around for Mrs M. Then when they all rode off at 11am to ride to wherever they were going in a cloud of blue smoke, the familiar smell of 2-stroke oil was wafted across on the breeze to where we were.

Even after they'd all gone there were groups of latecomers and stragglers coming off the York Outer Ring Road hoping to catch up and tag along with them, I've no idea where they were all of to that day.

Trad scooters and dressing up like 1960’s Mods, Skinheads, or in urban camouflage aren't my thing, but I'll give them their dues for the healthy Trad scooter club and social scene that's here in York and the rest of the Yorkshire counties.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 12:40 pm

Last year whilst stopping at a service station in Belgium we met 5 people riding Vespa 300's, the new version of the conventional Vespa. The bikes were automatic. There were 2 pillion riders, 3 scooters in total.

They had been to a scooter rally in Germany (Munich?) and were on their way back to the UK. They were fully loaded with camping stuff and you could barely see the bike. They had been on a 7 day trip.

Later on ,we overtook them further on up the Motorway, on a hill. They looked like they were really struggling to get up the hill (probably doing about 45mph) but they were having fun and certainly weren't in any hurry. I doff my hat to them, they just love riding scooters.

Sometimes it's not the mileage but the time spent riding which makes it worthwhile. Next time we go to Belgium via Dieppe, we are going to take some of the minor roads and enjoy a slower more scenic ride.

BTW, I checked out a new Vespa outside work today and noticed that the front and rear wheels had a different fitting. I always loved the idea of carrying a spare wheel on a bike....like in the old days!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2019 2:14 am

A few years ago a good friend and his American lady-friend rode from England to Greece and back on a couple of Vespas.
He did long distances and probably still is since he now resides in the States with lady-friend.

Some people here may know Jim Crowther by repute if nothing else. Smile
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2019-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2019 10:46 am

Hello,

I am located in Granby Qc. and planning to go see my niece in Golden B.C. either this coming summer or in 2 years depending on work to do at home for summer . I don't know if for you it's a long trip 13,000 kilometers round trip but I did it twice in 1998 and 99 with my BMW R100GSPD and I am not affraid at all to do it with my Silverwing.

Hope to see one of you guy's on my trip and your welcome home anytime

Michel
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2019 8:32 pm

John, we're probably the 1 per-centers regarding scooting. I had a well-kept (by me) 1995 first generation Miata that gave me sporty riding, had AC and heat, a great CD and cassette radio, speakers in the seat head protectors, auto volume adjustment at stop lights, could corner like a cat (except in rain), and I could drop the top for great fresh air or put the top up against rain and cold. It had posi-traction and a great sporty feel, as the Miata has enjoyed a reputation as one of the best designed sports cars in the world.

So I sold it!

Why? Because I was riding the two-wheelers and neglecting that sporty Miata. Most of my friends just shook their heads in wonder when that happened.

I found the SW to be the most fun on two wheels yet.

I look for any excuse to ride the SW. Yes, "still crazy after all these years."
Back to top Go down
lewjayjr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2017-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2019 2:14 am

John, come on down to Warm Springs Ga. Only about 3 hrs from Nooga. Best to take US 27 all the way so you avoid Atlanta. WE have great riding down here. The Warm Springs Hotel B&B is American owned and the other 2 motels are both Indian owned they are clean and reasonable. I have my Swing and ride it a good bit but got the arthuritis in my knees and hips and right hand.
Back to top Go down
heinlein
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2018-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 2:50 pm

MikeO wrote:
A few years ago a good friend and his American lady-friend rode from England to Greece and back on a couple of Vespas.
He did long distances and probably still is since he now resides in the States with lady-friend.

Some people here may know Jim Crowther by repute if nothing else. Smile
Jim is a great guy.  Has helped a lot of riders over the years.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 3:22 pm

Very pleased to hear that he's still at it and that you know him.
He was a good friend and still is at a distance.
Back to top Go down
DLK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DLK

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2019-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 4:08 pm

This is a funny thing, long distance riding.. I have been riding on 2 wheels legally on the streets since 1984 and dirt and illegally on the street before that. I have ridded crotch rockets, bobbers, cruisers, and a bunch of “bitzas” as in a bit of everything. In that time I have joined a number of clubs and left them all in the end. It always turns to you’re a (#@$%…….) Because you don’t ride( enter whatever you like) . Long distance guys hate trailer queens, who hate sport bikes who hate cruisers who hate scooters, on and on. To some 20 miles is a long ride, to others 2000 miles a weekend is warming up. Me I’ve never done more than 500 miles in a day, and never want to do that again. I enjoy a few miles at the end of a long day just as much as a full weekend of riding fun.
I guess my point is everyone has a different idea of what the perfect kind of rider and ride is, but anyone who rides with respect, moped to boss hos monster deserves a wave and a smile. The perfect distance for anyone is one that leaves them with a smile and wanting another ride.

Whatever you ride, however far your ride I tip my hat to you and hope to meet you on the road one day!
Dan
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2014-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2019 1:09 pm

I don't think as many people in the US do long distance touring by motorcycle anymore as they did in the past during the heyday of the big luxury tourers like the Goldwing. Times have changed and what used to a be cheap mode of transportation has become more expensive, and doesn't get as good of gas mileage as most cars.

My wife and I still do it because we enjoy it and been doing it for 39 years. We went to Alaska last summer on our new Silver wings, about 8,500 miles round trip. But in reality a newer car would've gotten better gas mileage and tire life than our combined Silver Wings. When we met in college I had a CB750 - an old single overhead cammer with rocker arms. I spied this girl from a different college riding a GS650L and I had to chase her down to find out who she was and marry her before she got away. We went on a summer trip to Mt. St. Helens because we had heard it blew up and wanted to see it. We came home married. For the first two years we were married we didn't even own a car. Couldn't afford one. But for a young couple we could afford motorcycles because they only cost $1,500 brand new, were as reliable as the day is long, and cheap transportation. We didn't bother to buy a car, or have need for one, until our oldest daughter came along in 1983.

The younger generation is no longer interested in motorcycles. They are now too expensive. The insurance for a rider in in his/her 20's is un-affordable. After you buy one the resale on them isn't worth a crap. The economy isn't as good as it was back then - college kids graduate with $160,000 in debt and can't find a job. Blue collar folks don't have the disposable income they had then, and if they do have it they buy boats, ATV's and other toys instead of motorcycles. Practicality and economics has pretty much killed what once was in the motorcycling world. Only Harley has done well in their demographic and that market is drying up. Honda, once the big powerhouse, closed their Marysville, OH plant in the US after 30 years of building the Goldwing there - the market for the big metric tourers was dead, Harley reigned king and Honda conceded.

Today, the bulk of the long distance riding crowd that's left rides Harleys in the US. The once mighty GWTA and GWRRA organizations are a shadow of their former selves, mostly Sunday Dairy Queen rides. The big scooter touring market never had a chance in this country. But that doesn't stop my wife and I from doing what we've enjoyed for almost 40 years. There's just not many of us left.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2019 3:25 pm

Mr. "DLK"... my hat's off to you... well said...
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2019 4:21 pm

Right on the expense of big bikes.....and touring, but it is fun. Having had/purchased over 75 new bikes since 1955----but getting married late at 65, I sure spent a lot of money/but I had it----most expensive for its time---new 1966 HD sidecar out-- fit----shook, couldn't get rid of engine heat, but wonderful at 55-60 mph---Harley had everything figured out but the engine. True about all you see on long trips now are Harleys, Goldwings seem to be gone. Scooter seldom, at 80 I enjoy my new 2019 Kymco Xtown 300I ABS----SilverWings got too heavy (top heavy, too, loaded) and they do not ,make them anymore----had 2, one new and the other 2013 leftover, over 90,000 miles with them, really no troubles other than battery I killed (my fault in Maine with electric tire pump).

Been to about 10 states so far this year.
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2019 10:07 pm

Yeah, I would say the largest group of long distance touring folks is two-up on Harley Electra Glides. We meet literally in hundreds of them every summer in our travels. Goldwings are few and far between anymore and have turned into $30,000 Two-Wheeled Computers.

We have never met anybody else in our travels touring on super-scooters in the US. We have run into a lot of people that can't believe we are doing it. We try to explain that our Silver Wings are 10x better touring mounts than the first bikes we toured on 35 years ago. But they still don't understand it or see how it's possible.

We don't care that the Silver Wing is out of production. Honda dealers never stocked any parts for them in the first place in the 13 years they were sold in the US. They never break, and when one needs a belt or something they just order it.

When our current mounts start to show their age we'll go to the Burgman 650. Those are still in production, and lots of them with low miles on the used market.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2019 4:32 am

Of course another reason that hasn't been mentioned is that we all have other interests that don't involve clocking up pointless maxi scooter miles.

I'm currently over in Cumbria visiting family and staying at an Air B n' B out in the wilds of the Eden Valley with Mrs M. Yesterday she had me fell walking and rock scrambling up on Catbells overlooking Keswick.

Even when I moved here in my twenties I never had the slightest interest in fell walking as a leisure pursuit, but enjoyed yesterday because it was an activity that we could do together. She was chuffed I was doing something outside my comfort zone too, although the big bar of chocolate she shared with me at the summit was an incentive too. Smile

I've ridden over numerous fell roads, Lakeland passes, and rural roads in the many years I lived and worked over there and fell walking is similar to riding Alpine passes and twisty roads. Instead of concentrating 100% of that stretch of road in front of you, it's all about watching where you plant your feet and staying safe. It was cold and windy but we were both suitable clothed and had the right footwear

Of course working up an appetite for a nice lunch and getting a bit of exercise is all good too.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2019 4:50 am

Chris Olson wrote:

When our current mounts start to show their age we'll go to the Burgman 650. Those are still in production, and lots of them with low miles on the used market.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Suzuki have dropped the Burg 650 production & no replacement known. They are still building the 400 though.

Fortunately your right lots of low mileage 650s to choose from though.

Sadly as a manufacturer at present Suzuki appear to have taken their eye off the ball for the bike market and are concentrating on their automobile division
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2019 7:09 am

Interesting all this Smile much sounding familiar to this elder. Our first " touring bike " was a 450 Suzuki with a sissy bar for the back rest, that was when we were a young 44 & 42 years old, we went from there through one 1100 Suzuki a 87 G'Wing and two 91 G'Wings, touring ended with the last G'Wing when I sold it then bought the S'Wing three years latter. Without trailer to haul bikes we covered all the lower 48 states some just once most many times, two of Canada's Providences and one very short trip into Mexico. We touched the top of Cadillac Mt. the buoy in Fl. Fisherman pier Ca. and the waters off Washington St. We have seen the beauty of the country and some not so nice places with big surprise in doing both. Food was as varied as the ride Smile as were the people. Thinking back would we do it again? in a heartbeat folks in a heartbeat. Never in all those miles but for a couple flat tires did our rides let us down, even the 87 with a developing stator problem got us home. Weather? EVERYTHING you can think of one time or another about the only thing we didn't experience was an earthquake, baked like a cake, froze like a Popsicle treat and learned from all of it.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1983
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2019 8:58 am

oldwingguy I know what you mean. My Wife and I used to ride a lot back in our 40's. We did two trips to FL from MN.

This was the first bike we rode all over the place. It was a 1974 Honda CB 750. The second trip was on a 1980 Yamaha 850 with a shaft drive. Her health was starting to go down by then so long trips were out of the question. We'd do short rides around MN but that was about it.

Now that she's gone I sometimes swear I can feel her on the back of my SWing. I ask, "Are you enjoying the ride Honey" and have never gotten hit upside the head so I guess she still likes riding with me.

And Yes, I still smoke...

Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? Jan_da10
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2019 12:13 pm

Scootypuff Snr wrote:

Sorry to burst your bubble but Suzuki have dropped the Burg 650 production & no replacement known. They are still building the 400 though.

What I meant by that is that its long production run ensures a ready supply in the used market. And there's plenty of left-over 2018's in dealer showrooms and manufacturer stock right now. We checked last week for the heck of it. Zacho Sports Center in Eau Claire can order us two brand new 2018 Burgman 650's if we wanted them to, and they'd be here in a week.

But we're sticking with our Silver Wings for this year. We love our Silver Wings equipped with travel trunks. They have enormous luggage capacity and we only put 17,000 miles on them last summer. So they're almost new yet. And the Silver Wing has more legroom and better reach to the bars than the Burgman does, is overall a more comfortable ride. The transmission in the Silver Wing is also much easier to service, and simpler. And tire changes are simpler with the Silver Wing.

But as the supply of FSC600's dries up, the Burg 650 is our second choice.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2019 9:36 pm

We have never met anybody else in our travels touring on super-scooters in the US. We have run into a lot of people that can't believe we are doing it. We try to explain that our Silver Wings are 10x better touring mounts than the first bikes we toured on 35 years ago. But they still don't understand it or see how it's possible.

So true. A good ride doesn't need to cost $30k . Silver Wing is like a rock, does so much and doesn't break. I go for long rides one day or weekends and can put 200-500 miles and easy. Need more time off to ride best trip was four days 800 miles. Sight seeing.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2019 10:52 pm

Meldrew,
What are "fell walking" and "fell roads"?
Back to top Go down
pgnz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
pgnz

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2017-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2019 2:57 am

DLK wrote:
This is a funny thing, long distance riding.. I have been riding on 2 wheels legally on the streets since 1984 and dirt and illegally on the street before that.  I have ridded crotch rockets, bobbers, cruisers, and a bunch of “bitzas”  as in a bit of everything. In that time I have joined a number of clubs and left them all in the end. It always turns to you’re a (#@$%…….) Because you don’t ride( enter whatever you like) . Long distance guys hate trailer queens, who hate sport bikes who hate cruisers who hate scooters, on and on. To some 20 miles is a long ride, to others 2000 miles a weekend is warming up. Me I’ve never done more than 500 miles in a day, and never want to do that again. I enjoy a few miles at the end of a long day just as much as a full weekend of riding fun.
I guess my point is everyone has  a different idea of what the perfect kind of rider and ride is, but anyone who rides with respect, moped to boss hos monster deserves a wave and a smile. The perfect distance for anyone is one that leaves them with a smile and wanting another ride.

Whatever you ride, however far your ride I tip my hat to you and hope to meet you on the road one day!
Dan

I'm with you 100% DLK !

Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2019 4:47 am

Easyrider wrote:

This may help, but basically they are the little mountains we have in England, meaning a lot can be walked in a day

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Fells
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2019 7:26 am

Scootypuff Snr wrote:
Easyrider wrote:

This may help, but basically they are the little mountains we have in England, meaning a lot can be walked in a day

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Fells

Pretty areas.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2019 8:53 am

I wouldn't agree about being able to walk a lot of fells in a day unless you're already up on the tops going along a ridge from one named fell to another. To get to a lot of them you have to drive along roads that are basically asphalted farm tracks. Passing oncoming vehicles can be difficult and walkers park their cars alongside roadside verges making roads even narrower.

Then you have to use footpaths or bridle ways to get up to the base of whatever hill or fell you're tackling and that might be a mile or so away. I lived in the Western Fells area of the Lake District for for nearly 40 years and I much preferred to ride fell roads or passes, or have the occasional walk round one of the smaller waters or meres than plod up some dark gloomy fell, just to plod down it again to name drop it later in a pub full of 'crag rats'.

Having said that fell walking or just dressing up in an anorak, big boots and a ridiculous Peruvian knitted hat and wandering around the Lakes outdoor shops is a very popular liesure activity especially at weekends, Bank Holidays, and the school holidays, it also brings lots of money into the Cumbrian economy. The so called 'honeypots' of Keswick, Ambleside, Windermere, and Grasmere are geared up to cater for tourists and flog them lots of outdoor gear.

Bikers do their own version, riding up and over Hardknott, and Wrynose Passes, and further east along the A686 up Hartside Pass to hang out at the cafe there, well they used to until it burned down last year.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2019 12:42 pm

Comment on Zacho sports-----I bought 3 new bikes there, TMAX, Burgman 400 and 2009 SilverWing.

Good dealer, Bruce was my Salesman.
Back to top Go down
Az Kicker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Az Kicker

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2013-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2019 4:22 pm

I have been using my '13 Silverwing for long trips every year, 1200-3000 miles per trip. My buddy also has one, and we have explored National Parks in 8 western states, including Yellowstone and Yosemite.

I think they are great touring machines, but start to have (minor) issues around 30k miles that may be due to the incredibly harsh riding conditions in the desert southwest. My previous scoot lasted 60k miles until an unfortunate interaction (previous post) with a car.

I have a new '17 Africa Twin DCT that I use to ride both on and off road, but last year I was going to ride through northern California so I took the Swing. Unfortunately, California was mostly in flames, so my ride was shortened.

I wonder if the newest generation is NOT riding because:
1) the virtual world is more comfortable than the real world
2) so many travel videos already exist that there is little new to see
3) they are convinced that motorcycles are unsafe
4) if they never indulged their sense of adventure as a child, it atrophied so that 1-3 above seem reasonable?

For me, I have to go, to see, to be.

Back to top Go down
http://AzKicker.com
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2019 8:26 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Comment on Zacho sports-----I bought 3 new bikes there, TMAX, Burgman 400 and 2009 SilverWing.

Good dealer, Bruce was my Salesman.

I have to agree. The folks at Zacho are fabulous.

Az Kicker wrote:

I wonder if the newest generation is NOT riding because:

I think it has to do more with the cost. Motorcycles have become pretty expensive compared to fuel-efficient compact cars. Practicality and finances wins with the younger crowd.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2019 2:03 pm

Riding is an outdoor activity (unless you are on a simulator which most young-STIRS prefer). Younger people are not into outdoor activities because the extension cords for their tech are simply too awkward to manage. Plus, most outdoor activities require physical effort ... and from time to time ... even sweat. Not going to happen!
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2019 4:59 pm

sonuvabug wrote:
Younger people are not into outdoor activities because the extension cords for their tech are simply too awkward to manage.

I think this is an unfair characterization of the younger generation. I know plenty of them that are just as active outdoors as kids always were.

Don't forget that we grew up in the age of the Universal Metric Motorcycle with Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki all building excellent, very lost cost motorcycles that could be bought brand new for less than $1,500. If you wanted a high-end Goldwing GL1100 it was $3,200 fully decked out.

The young people of today have less disposable income than we had back then. They can't afford to pay $12,000 now for what we got for $1,399 back in the 70's and 80's.

It's not that there's not interest - there is. But they can't afford it. Motorcycles have gotten more comparatively expensive than many compact cars. These people can't pay cash for a $10,000 motorcycle. They need to get financing. The bank will loan a young person money to buy a car, but the finance outfits aren't lining up waiting to make loans to younger buyers for motorcycles. They are a high-risk category, both in financing and insurance.

If these young people can get a job out of college, shouldering $100,000+ in student loan debt, they're going pay down student loans instead of buying motorcycles. Or if they went direct into the job market after high-school the priorities are a car for transportation, food, a place to live. Or maybe they got married and family. They can't afford it.

I can speak from firsthand experience - our youngest daughter is 30, she's a school teacher, married, no kids. She rode a 49cc scooter all while she in college that we bought her to get around on. It was cheaper than a car and no problem for parking for it on campus. But after she got on her own after six years of teaching, she still has $70,000 in student loan debt, she'd love to have a motorcycle. But the money is not there.

It's economics. And the manufacturers, like Honda, are stupid. Honda drops one of the more economical, practical models like the Silver Wing. They targeted the Silver Wing to the wrong crowd in their marketing. People like our daughter would look at a Silver Wing once they got their feet on the ground financially. But no, Honda blows all their engineering resources on a $30,000 Two Wheeled Computer in the form of the Goldwing. And then says sales of new motorcycles have tanked. It's like, duh, Honda. What were you thinking?
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2019 9:11 pm

Chris Olson. One thing I dislike about this format is that I can't give you a thumbs up like I can on Facebook. Anyway hat's off to a very informative, well written post!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2019 11:32 pm

thumbs up

Click on the smiley emoji on the reply post toolbar
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2019 1:40 am

Thanks.

I've noticed an evolution in motorcycling. More women have gotten into riding than they used to - and not on the pillion. Take a look around at all the girls riding Harley's nowadays. Honda missed the mark again because their (former) customers evolved, but they didn't. If the buyer has the money, it's the girls that determine whether or not a guy buys a motorcycle. And just about all guys got one (a girl). If she's not interested it's gonna be a pretty hard sell. If she says, "I don't want to ride on the back of that thing - I want my own" Honda is not gonna sell a motorcycle because they don't have what she wants.

Have you looked at Honda's 2019 lineup?

The Silver Wing appealed to as many women riders (or more) as it did men. Honda dissed the half of the motorcycling world that makes the decisions on these types of things. Big mistake.

We're riding Silver Wings today because of my wife. I bought a new 2002 ST1100 in Sept 2001. My wife gave me a ride to the dealer to sign the paperwork and pick it up. After I got done with the salesman, my wife was gone - disappeared. She had spotted the (then) brand new 2002 Silver Wing sitting outside. And another salesman told her to take it for a ride. She came back and she said, "I want one of these." The rest is history.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2019 6:02 am

I agree motorcycling/scootering has been getting too expensive---first to buy and then to keep on the road---stuff like $600 valve adjustment, accessories that do not work, riding clothes that do not do the trick. My Mitsuibishi 2018 Mirage, $15000 out the door---seems to require no special/expensive maint......and at 80 AC/heater nice on real crappy days.

The big shots in the industry should/must ride everyday in all weathers to really understand what customers go thru. I tend to buy, always new on the lower end of the scale in price, a new bike/scooter every year----but I ride a lot right now up to 40,000 miles a year---when I have a bike that is comfortable and fun to ride.----this year Honda had nothing in the US market, so I bought a Kymco XTown 300I ABS---after military discount, but all taxes and fees paid, end price was just under $4800 out the door----my $40 Bestem box is bolted on---still working on windshield problem....I want buffet free ride, period----end solution will probably be 4 inches cut off top of Puig Big touring shield with Laminar Lip bolted on---right now Lip on stock is just too narrow when it is cold/windy.

Great time in US was when Sears sold both Puch and Vespa----parts service great and cheap. Both the scooters and bikes were quality products---they even retailed some Cushmans(crude, but fine working in their design function).....probably crap ridden wide open, etc.

One thing I'd like to say, having ridden by choice everyday since 1955----bikes/scooters are still not idiot proof......and lots of idiots buy them and have real or imagined problems.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?   Why is nobody using scooter for long trips? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why is nobody using scooter for long trips?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next