Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» checking the oil
mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

mounting attachment points

Go down 
+4
Cosmic_Jumper
Meldrew
The Bern
joebillybobinark
8 posters
AuthorMessage
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2017-04-19

mounting attachment points Empty
PostSubject: mounting attachment points   mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2018 7:38 am

i would like to attach a wolfman dry bag on the rear shelf of my wing. thinking of ways to mount eyebolts or something similar underneath the shelf as an attachment point for Rok straps.. any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: mounting attachment points   mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2018 8:01 am

Might be a bit tricky bud, the underneath of the shelf is a plastic cover, you could possibly replace the fixing screws with eyebolts but they are not very substancial.

could you use an 'elastic cargo net' ? similar to .... https://tinyurl.com/y83lvall
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: mounting attachment points   mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2018 9:10 am

The Wolfman Dry Bags are pretty much like the roll top Ortleib bags I've been using since the early Nineties. Unless you have a passenger or other baggage on the rear seat, or specifically want to use the rear rack, it's the ideal place to carry a loaded dry bag.

Just roll the top down to seal it, clip the two top Fastex buckles, lift it on to the seat and thread a dry bag side strap through the hand rails on both sides and clip to the Fastex buckles, cinch the straps tight, and it's job done.

The bag won't loosen or move around, and you have a handy back rest too.
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: mounting attachment points   mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2018 9:38 am

Meldrew wrote:
The Wolfman Dry Bags are pretty much like the roll top Ortleib bags I've been using since the early Nineties. Unless you have a passenger or other baggage on the rear seat, or specifically want to use the rear rack, it's the ideal place to carry a loaded dry bag.

Just roll the top down to seal it, clip the two top Fastex buckles, lift it on to the seat and thread a dry bag side strap through the hand rails on both sides and clip to the Fastex buckles, cinch the straps tight, and it's job done.

The bag won't loosen or move around, and you have a handy back rest too.

I would be strapping down a second bag on the rear shelf.

The back rest is nice!
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: mounting attachment points   mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2018 9:46 am

The Bern wrote:
Might be a bit tricky bud, the underneath of the shelf is a plastic cover, you could possibly replace the fixing screws with eyebolts but they are not very substancial.

could you use an 'elastic cargo net' ? similar to .... https://tinyurl.com/y83lvall

I was thinking of opening the 4 holes in the shelf that one would use for mounting a Givi box. Would end up with 4 nuts exposed on the shelf. Would also need to open 4 holes in the plastic cover.
The cargo net wouldn't be large enough to secure a Wolfman. Wolfman dry expedition bags are similar in size to a medium duffel bag.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: mounting attachment points   mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2018 10:37 am

joebillybobinark wrote:
I was thinking of opening the 4 holes in the shelf that one would use for mounting a Givi box.  Would end up with 4 nuts exposed on the shelf.  Would also need to open 4 holes in the plastic cover. < Snip >

Top case mount hole locations? Okay, so that dilemma is sorted then.

Use eye bolts mounted upside down and use acorn nuts on the topside to anchor the eye bolts. The acorn nuts will protect the cargo bag. Leave the plastic undercover off.

Of course, having come to terms with drilling those tail holes, you could make a cargo plate from a 1/4" aluminum plate, (3/16" if you've got access to a sheet metal brake to form edges to increase the strength) say 12" x 14". That way you could put bungee mount holes anywhere you'd like. 

Any number lf cargo plate ideas via Google or ADVrider. 

Tim
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: mounting attachment points   mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2018 1:10 pm

What Tim said ^^^^^
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: mounting attachment points   mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2018 5:32 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
joebillybobinark wrote:
I was thinking of opening the 4 holes in the shelf that one would use for mounting a Givi box.  Would end up with 4 nuts exposed on the shelf.  Would also need to open 4 holes in the plastic cover. < Snip >

Top case mount hole locations? Okay, so that dilemma is sorted then.

Use eye bolts mounted upside down and use acorn nuts on the topside to anchor the eye bolts. The acorn nuts will protect the cargo bag. Leave the plastic undercover off.

Of course, having come to terms with drilling those tail holes, you could make a cargo plate from a 1/4" aluminum plate, (3/16" if you've got access to a sheet metal brake to form edges to increase the strength) say 12" x 14". That way you could put bungee mount holes anywhere you'd like. 

Any number lf cargo plate ideas via Google or ADVrider. 

Tim

Tim,
Thank you for planting the idea of aftermarket rack..

Looks like this may be a good fit...

Tusk Top Rack - Fits: Honda Africa Twin CRF1000L 2016-2017 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0795XVC9B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_5mLuBbX4VEP1J

Appears to have the 4 holes spacing that the swing rear plate has OEM

Mounts back far enough to allow the seat to open

Plenty of strap attachment points

Bonus I can perhaps strap a MSR fuel bottle underneath...

Thoughts?

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Max Q
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2017-02-09

PostSubject: Re: mounting attachment points   mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2018 5:48 pm

I like the Tusk Top Rack idea, let us know if you do it.
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: mounting attachment points   mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2018 10:56 pm

the OEM reinforced areas on the shelf appear to be roughly square and maybe 7" apart. doesn't match the pattern of the tusk rack for the Africa twin.

before I drill holes and measure, could someone please measure the length from the lip of the shelf to the center of the reinforced holes? perhaps that dimension will answer the question.

I really don't want to drill different holes in either the rack OR the shelf.

thanks

Ed
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: mounting attachment points   mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2018 12:31 pm

joebillybobinark wrote:
the OEM reinforced areas on the shelf appear to be roughly square and maybe 7" apart.  doesn't match the pattern of the tusk rack for the Africa twin.

before I drill holes and measure, could someone please measure the length from the lip of the shelf to the center of the reinforced holes?  perhaps that dimension will answer the question.

So the mount holes are ~6" L to R and ~3.5" Front to Rear. The center of that mount pattern is ~4.5" as measured from the lip of the tail with the seat closed.

That said, there are several of "universal" top case mounts available which would mount/adapt to that bolt pattern and to which you could then attach bungee mounts to that top case mount without making the tail look like swiss cheese.

Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: mounting attachment points   mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2018 4:57 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
joebillybobinark wrote:
the OEM reinforced areas on the shelf appear to be roughly square and maybe 7" apart.  doesn't match the pattern of the tusk rack for the Africa twin.

before I drill holes and measure, could someone please measure the length from the lip of the shelf to the center of the reinforced holes?  perhaps that dimension will answer the question.

So the mount holes are ~6" L to R and ~3.5" Front to Rear. The center of that mount pattern is ~4.5" as measured from the lip of the tail with the seat closed.

That said, there are several of "universal" top case mounts available which would mount/adapt to that bolt pattern and to which you could then attach bungee mounts to that top case mount without making the tail look like swiss cheese.

Hope this helps

Thanks! I can plan my work accordingly...
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: mounting attachment points   mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2018 5:14 pm

Drill the rack in correct holes.  You can then make simple plates from aluminium flat stock and drill that to match case holes.    Will need to space plates a little from rack for other set of bolts and nuts. You can attach any type plate or rack to that.

Simple and easy will look clean.
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: mounting attachment points   mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2018 8:04 pm

Tusk rack arrived today and will not work. Disappointed.

My gripe with Givi top boxes is the rounded plastic hipster look. No thanks.

I am debating...
http://giviusa.com/givi-products/cases/monokey-cases/obkn58aa-58ltr-outback-top-case-silver-detail

Appearance is sport touring with plenty of storage. Handles should make attaching and removing easy.

Between the 40ltr saddlebags, the outback box and the Wolfman dry duffel bag, I should have plenty of room for travel.

Thanks everyone for the kind advice

Ed
Back to top Go down
Max Q
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2017-02-09

PostSubject: Re: mounting attachment points   mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2018 2:21 pm

Would the Givi S150 small universal rack bolted directly to the rear wing fit?  I have considered trying to make this work also.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: mounting attachment points   mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 8:21 am

Rounded plastic hipster look?

Not this one:

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/206537?r=GS&gclid=CjwKCAjw-8nbBRBnEiwAqWt1zTvxZN_cmegz9jOgXa3eo0yYmkVYHE7tQ6bnbZ474tUe8h8AFSNVYxoCVisQAvD_BwE

Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: mounting attachment points   mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 4:03 pm

Still can't beat the colour coded original supplied with the scoot
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: mounting attachment points   mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 6:57 pm

Scootypuff Snr wrote:

It wasn't supplied with the scoot, the colour matched top box was part of the Genuine Honda Accessories range available for the Silver Wing and other models like the Deaville, and you had to purchase them.

Or sometimes they were offered as part of a free accessories package to shift various Honda models, and that's why lots of used Silver Wings for sale seem have them fitted.

I wasn't tempted when I bought my Silver Wing, as a 42 litre top box is way too small to be useful to me. I already had a Givi E52 to slot straight onto the Givi Monorack I had dealer fitted, along with heated grip, and leg wind deflectors.

Looking at this month's Cover Photo, I'm always drawn to how big and ugly the Honda rear rack and fitting plate are, they're twice as thick as the neat Monokey rack I have and make the Honda top box sit a lot higher.

I remember reading something many years ago in one of the early issues of Twist & Go (back when it was actually worth reading) blaming the high sitting Honda top box for a bit of instability. Of course back then the main criticisms of early Honda Silver Wings were heavy fuel consumption, and ABS equipped models were a couple hundred more quid to purchase.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: mounting attachment points   mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2018 3:55 am

Quite so; my penultimate Silverwing came with the Honda box.
Said box is still languishing in my storage unit.
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: mounting attachment points   mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2018 8:39 am

Max Q wrote:
Would the Givi S150 small universal rack bolted directly to the rear wing fit?  I have considered trying to make this work also.

I tried it just now. Too big. Sending back to AtoZ

Family member will be able to build one for me from 3/8" plate. Was hoping to find something else, but alas...

Ed
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

PostSubject: Re: mounting attachment points   mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2018 1:48 pm

MikeO wrote:

Ever thought about selling Mike,I have a project in mind that a cheap OEM box might work with

Last edited by Scootypuff Snr on Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

PostSubject: Re: mounting attachment points   mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2018 1:55 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Scootypuff Snr wrote:

Or sometimes they were offered as part of a free accessories package to shift various Honda models, and that's why lots of used Silver Wings for sale seem have them fitted.

I remember reading something many years ago in one of the early issues of Twist & Go (back when it was actually worth reading) blaming the high sitting Honda top box for a bit of instability. Of course back then the main criticisms of early Honda Silver Wings were heavy fuel consumption, and ABS equipped models were a couple hundred more quid to purchase.

Usually get free luggage as part of the sweetener when I buy new bike (Suzuki do it regularly)

I had the huge monokey top/side boxes bought as a job lot from Ghost bikes. Pig ugly and made my arse end the size of a bus. Couldn't give the bloody things away.

I agree a loaded Honda box does give the handling a different feel,but not to the extent of the emergency services Honda pan European debacle (a rumour started by BMW IMO )
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: mounting attachment points   mounting attachment points I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2018 2:32 pm

Scootypuff Snr wrote:
MikeO wrote:

Ever thought about selling Mike,I have a project in mind that a cheap OEM box might work with

Not beyond the bounds of possibility. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mounting attachment points   mounting attachment points I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

mounting attachment points
Page 1 of 1