Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Windshield woes?

Go down 
+7
SteveO
"Hi Yo"
cotetoi
janitorj1
willajabir
Cosmic_Jumper
carolina wing rider
11 posters
AuthorMessage
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2018-01-22

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: Windshield woes?   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 10:43 am

I just returned from a neighbor's just down the road and witnessed something I can hardly believe. His bike windshield was pretty badly aged and was hard to see through. We have all seen the array of windshield products that do or don't do (relative) any good. He pulled out this goofy looking little pad and I started laughing and so did he. He wet the little thing and went to work and in about 10 minutes his windshield looked fantastic. It didn't look quite brand new but by golly it was close. The hazing was gone and it shined like a new penny. This thing, it turns out, was 5.98 shipped off of ebay. Does this qualify as a "cheap discovery"? Folks I will do my best not to steer you wrong and I think this laughable looking little pad is worth every cent. Give it a try and let me know what you think.  Look at ebay # 232266756807 and read the reviews.  Ride Often !
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield woes?   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 11:19 am

The eBay item #'s you've posted aren't working as links. If you'd like to post a link to an eBay item copy & post the eBay link, not the item #.

Tim
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield woes?   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 11:30 am

You can just plug the # into the ebay search box and it shows this item:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Motorcycle-Windshield-Windscreen-CLEANER-POLISH-and-RESTORATION-PAD/232266756807?epid=1838735439&hash=item36142d72c7:g:CAYAAOSwTM5Ywwm1&vxp=mtr

Edit: And I would be skeptical too. Looks like a scrubbing pad for cookware. But, there have been other strange discoveries that work fine regardless of appearance.
Back to top Go down
janitorj1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2014-09-07

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield woes?   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 11:49 am

Funny how they have the same product listed in several brand specific applications.  I wonder if it would work on auto headlamp hazing.  I'll have to get one - even though my car has old school headlights, and not the fancy new age plastic wrap around stuff.

Did a quick check on Amazon, 6.79, free shipping, I guess that what makes the difference in cost.

Jon

Last edited by janitorj1 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Supplemental Information...)
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: windshield woes    Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 4:46 pm

I know...I know.........I was skeptical myself Larry. If I had not seen this little goofy thing in action myself I would not have mentioned it here on the forum. As small and as goofy as it looks (pot scrubbing pad lol) it brought my neighbor's ragged windshield back to life....nicely. If it does not work for you.....I'll pay for it! JUST KIDDING!
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield woes?   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 4:57 pm

I happen to have tried the thing on my Helix w/shield. It was yellow and murky. I figured I had not much to lose if it didn't work, and came with refund if it didn't work. It did work but not as good as the seller suggested. I guess it depends on the condition of your shield. It could be beyond fixing and more into replacing. Mine was in the replacing category.
I e-mailed the seller that I wasn't totally satisfied: the refund was prompt, no questions asked.
I ended up cutting down the shield to where I could see over it easily.
Sold the Helix a few months later.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: windshield   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 5:05 pm

Thanks for the info. Perhaps your shield may have been beyond repair. I have no idea how to determine when to give it up but the neighbor's shield looked pretty bad to me and it worked great. Thanks again..........
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Windshield woes? 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield woes?   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2018 3:56 pm

Did anyone else notice the BMW pad was a penny higher? Of course!!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: Windshield   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2018 3:59 pm

LOL.........yes. They are all the same......the pads that is.
Back to top Go down
SteveO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SteveO

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2013-08-15

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield woes?   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 1:44 pm

carolina wing rider, this is the best tip I think I have ever received. I did try it (only$5 what can you lose?). got my pad yesterday (a week ahead of the scheduled arrival date) . Just tried it out (on my car headlights & fog lights not the Swing windshield). in 20 minutes (with not much effort) and they all look like new. I had replaced them a few years ago and it took me about three hours to get them replaced and realigned. Now after 20 minutes they like new again. I am going to go back and order some more pads (not sure how long they will last) and to give to my kids and friends, WOW I say THANKS YOU for the tip.

SteveO
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: Windshield   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2018 6:49 pm

I'm happy to hear you tried it...and it worked as well for you as it did for my neighbor. I want to thank you as well because it never occurred to me to try one of these on my automotive headlights...a great tip! Ride Often....
Back to top Go down
pgnz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
pgnz

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2017-02-21

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield woes?   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2018 12:59 am

Try "Brasso", ---- works just as well and probably in your storage cupboard, works wonderfully well on both perspex headlights and screens. "Brasso" (a liquid metal polish), for you whom have not heard of it, is a very old fashioned brass cleaning/polishing liquid that will do all of those things as recommended by my Gran. It's been around for years and is the equivalent of about 2500 grit emery/sandpaper. No need to bother E bay !
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: Windshield   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2018 1:15 am

That's a new one on me. Sounds like it may be worth a try. Thanks for the tip.
Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield woes?   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2018 4:14 am

pgnz wrote:
Try "Brasso", ---- works just as well and probably in your storage cupboard, works wonderfully well on both perspex headlights and screens. "Brasso" (a liquid metal polish), for you whom have not heard of it, is a very old fashioned brass cleaning/polishing liquid that will do all of those things as recommended by my Gran. It's been around for years and is the equivalent of about 2500 grit emery/sandpaper. No need to bother E bay !
You're right about brasso on plastic lenses! I first used to use it as a kid on the plastic face of my Timex wrist watch, it was always getting scratched. I now use it on my visor when it gets scratched and then finish it off with a swan down polishing mop* and plastic polish. My visor ends up like new.
It's quite good for polishing brass as well!!!

*That'd be a 'flannel buffing wheel' for those of the North American persuasion.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield woes?   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2018 6:32 am

HORNBLOWER wrote:
It's quite good for polishing brass as well!!!

Everytime I see that familiar stripey tin of Brasso, it reminds me of brass buckles, bulled boots, bad haircuts, blanco, and bull****. Neutral
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: Windshield   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2018 8:26 pm

This sounds familiar. Could you be referring to Military Service back in the day Meldrew? If you could go back in time would you do it again?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield woes?   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2018 2:59 am

No, I most certainly would not.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: Windshield   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2018 4:59 am

Neither would I........
Back to top Go down
pgnz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
pgnz

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2017-02-21

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield woes?   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2018 1:08 am

I'm sorry Brasso brings back bad memories boys, but you could always try Silvo for the more precious of you !!
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: Windshield   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2018 1:17 am

No bad memories here.........I'm going to give it a try.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield woes?   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2018 11:01 am

Solvol Autosol metal polish works well and is brilliant on aluminium, or aluminum as some know it.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: Windshield   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2018 7:14 pm

I had no idea that there were so many household products out there that work on motorcycle windshields. Thanks for sharing....
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield woes?   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2018 11:12 am

Toothpaste. Why not toothpaste? Notwithstanding how refreshed it'll leave your windscreen feeling, toothpaste is a much finer grit than Brasso and Silvo. Works on car headlight lenses too.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: windshield   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2018 11:58 am

Another "cheap discovery". If I use a "whitening" toothpaste I wonder if it will "whiten" my windshield. After all these cheap ways to clean 'em up I don't ever want to see any more hazy windshields out there. Thanks for the tip..........
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield woes?   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2018 3:32 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Toothpaste. Why not toothpaste? Notwithstanding how refreshed it'll leave your windscreen feeling, toothpaste is a much finer grit than Brasso and Silvo. Works on car headlight lenses too.

Good one!
True dat. Good for getting the scratches out of your visor shields and for getting micro scratches out of your smart phone screens also.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Windshield woes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield woes?   Windshield woes? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Windshield woes?
Page 1 of 1