Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New possible swing owner

Go down 
+12
Meldrew
Stuart Walker
GHM-PM
gavinfdavies
john grinsel
steve_h80
dspevack
Easyrider
Scootypuff Snr
Bash On!
Jolly Bodger
Bravefruitcake
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Bravefruitcake
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2017-10-19

New possible swing owner Empty
PostSubject: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2017 11:40 am

Hi everyone,

I know it’s tradition to introduce myself on here so thought I would do so while I’m here,

I’m a high mileage rider that commutes to work and back daily on bikes, but have realised I may need something more practical for my use so am looking into the silverwing department, all signs point to they are right so here I am, I am looking at one tonight so hopefully will become an owner tonight too!!

Been riding since I was 8 on all types of bikes, and do an act of 25k a year on them, recently wrote off my GSR600 on the way home from work one day and recently received the nice cheque that is going to be paying for my Swing haha

I won’t lie, I do have a couple questions about them that I haven’t found yet though,

1st; are they decent everyday commuters for long dual carriageway miles? I would assume they are but am not 100% as never been on the maxi scooter collections lol

Also, are they good for high mileage when looked after? Asking as the one I’m looking at is a 2002 with 66k on the clock, but has the past 10 years of history with it showing a yearly service and mot, also seems really clean so hoping the mileage won’t be an issue

Next, are there any main problems to look out for? Rust underneath, rattle bolts... etc? Haha

Hope to be on here a bit more in future once I pick one up, will probably have more wuestions once I have one too then
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2017 1:26 pm

Hi Fruitcake. I would go for a later model with the O2 sensor they are a bit more economical. From what I've read 66k is no problem if serviced regularly. They will cruise all day at 70+ BUT replace the screen with a givi airflow, it gives much better protection. You could also consider side deflectors

JB
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2017 1:45 pm

Don't know which years UK models had ABS available, but I wouldn't buy any bike for commuting (high mileage or not) without that feature.  Having seen London commuting traffic (again) earlier this year, I double-down on that recommendation!

Good luck!

Last edited by Bash On! on Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2017 1:50 pm

Welcome Bravefruitcake (love the title)
I'm sure others will be along to comment on your questions(with loads more knowledge) but for me

Ideal commuter well I can do 600 miles a day on mine motorway & peagé when I visit home. Depending on your height back stop can dig in (best description). I commuted to London for many years predominantly on maxi scooters (as all your crap goes under the seat)

There are several high mileage examples mentioned herein and with 4K oil changes all leads to longevity. I believe your 2002 model will be more fuel heavy than later models but if it has full history that's a bonus and a loved mileage bike (No expense spared owner) is better to me than a low mileage garage door stop

Usual buyer beware are obvious (poor electric looms hacked into for mods) centre stand rotting, lacquer lifting on alloys, fork stanchions.
Somebody who broke a couple said crud built up on the left side of the rad as I recall (but trapped gunge usual on any tupperware not regularly inspected. Otherwise my MOT garage says brakes on winter rides but again not exclusive to S'wing

Hope that helps. There are a lot advertised at present and your budget dictates age (there are some expensive dealer low milers).

PS if you commute don't expect many acknowledgement from crotch rocket monkeys lol

Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2017 2:10 pm

I agree completely with JB. Look for a 2008 or newer with ABS. The O2 sensors started with the 2008 models. Check for the obvious signs like tyre wear, loose wheel bearing, working horn, all lights work, damaged or loose plastic body panels, leaking fluids including the forks, and rusted frame. Check if any safety features have been bypassed like the side stand switch.
Standard maintenance may include the belt, brake pads, flushing the brake and antifreeze fluids, clutch pads, head bearings. Good luck!

Welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2017 2:40 pm

With regular maintenance the Swing is relatively Bulletproof.
Even six figures on the odometer is not a deterrent.

Definitely look for ABS. That's a safety issue. More money? Yes....
Nothing worse than being in the hospital thinking "Shoulda Woulda Coulda Didna"

Newer with O2 sensor is an economically smart choice but not required if you aren't cash scarce.

Most common mod: windscreen.
Other common mods for riding comfort: Seat, Hyperpro springs. Some people swear by the mods. Others will tell you to leave it stock. Nice thing about these 3 mods is they are not electronic or prone to failure in any way.

Swing is a mature design, which means readily available accessories and mods galore to make it anything you want it to be.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2017 3:39 pm

They are really good bikes, but we would say that, but they are.
A 66k miler should be cheap, 15 to 30k bikes seem to go for £2-3k.
Abs is always good, newer ones a bit more economical but don't get too hung up on it. Maintenance is easy diy for oil, filters, drive belt & brakes but valve clearance is a) more complex/expensive, and b) usually safely ignored.
Good mile muncher solo or two up, handles surprisingly well, 70 to 80mph is no problem but after 90 it's a bit like putting yer granny in the mosh pit at a metal concert. She might enjoy it but everyone else will wonder WT? is going on :-)
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2017 6:00 pm

steve_h80 wrote:
it's a bit like putting yer granny in the mosh pit at a metal concert. She might enjoy it but everyone else will wonder WT? is going on :-)

rolling laughter rolling laughter  rolling laughter  rolling laughter

Actually Steve is right.  The Swing will do over 100mph sustained without complaint.  

Harley's look good in your rear view mirror.  Laughing
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2017 7:37 pm

As long as cheap old SilverWing maybe ok. But they are not cheap to fix/service of you don't do it yourself.

I ran two purchased new SilverWings to 50,000 miles with no or little problems....I think with proper maint,/care they would/will go to 100,000 miles. 15,000 miles belt changes can be expensive...and should be done. Tires usual expense. I think they have no known defects----everyday riding they do need Givi Adjustable windshield and I found Givi top box E-46 handy....does not add to handling

I traded mine at 50,000 miles simply because I like riding new bikes under warranty and as I age SilverWing was getting a little heavy for me at slow speeds

Last I think SilverWing is no longer made, but plenty of new leftover 2013's available in the US

Cheap price take a chance....expensive forget it..
Back to top Go down
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2017-10-20

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2017 7:14 am

ME TOO! I'm collecting mine on Saturday.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2561
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2017 8:20 am

Great commuter scooters capable of high speed for miles on end.  Maintenance is easy for some items, less so for others. Oil and filter are easy, plugs are easy with right tools and knowledge, air filter is a pain takes close to an hour to get to it. Battery is quite easy to replace.

If you get one try it out before replacing the windscreen; for a few lucky souls the OEM works fine. I am not one of them a +5 inch Cee Bailey is on mine Smile

Good luck and keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
Stuart Walker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2013-03-25

PostSubject: The 2002 Model year SILVERWING...   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2017 9:09 am

Welcome to the site !

I still have a great 2002 Silverwing, still in regular use, and would not hesitate in recommending the Wing, subject to the usual paperwork and service history being available.

Over the years I have done several 1,000 mile rides over a few days, and touring trips both in the UK and in Europe, and have never experienced any major issues or breakdowns.

Well enginered, it's a Honda after all....
My first Honda was purchased back in around 1963...so still loyal to the brand !

The wing will perform well, and prove to be reliable, but fuel consumption on the earlier (2002) etc will be down a little on later models, but it still has fuel injection and great performance.
I normally get around 45/47 mpg (UK) if that is of any help.

Good luck, and I hope that you will find what you are looking for.

Stuart Walker
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2017 9:22 am

GHM-PM wrote:
If you get one try it out before replacing the windscreen; for a few lucky souls the OEM works fine. I am not one of them a +5 inch Cee Bailey is on mine Smile

Yes, good advice to try first. Rode the SW to work today and remarked to myself that the OEM windshield works fine for me. Small enough to allow needed airflow in hot Texas summers yet large enough to take the edge off the cold blast in winter.

However, I don't do a lot of highway miles and might have a different opinion if I did.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2017 2:27 pm

I'm looking at it this way, the lad has said he's a possible owner, not that he's actually bought a Silver Wing So it's a bit early to be going on about Airflow screens and Hyperpro fork springs. Smile
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2017 3:06 pm

Meldrew wrote:
I'm looking at it this way, the lad has said he's a possible owner, not that he's actually bought a Silver Wing So it's a bit early to be going on about Airflow screens and Hyperpro fork springs. Smile

That is true, but if the OP can find one with the Airflow and top box, that will save some $s. My 2¢.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2017 4:04 pm

Easyrider wrote:
Meldrew wrote:

That is true, but if the OP can find one with the Airflow and top box, that will save some $s. My 2¢.

That's true but I've read similar topics from blokes that join to say they're buying a Silver Wing then start asking about Burgmans. Anyway the OP says he's been riding since he was 8 years old,and being the old cynic that I am, riding on private land, farm land, or even riding schoolboy moto-cross counts for nothing. It's legal age riding experience on public roads that counts.

Then of course the Silver Wing has been around since 2000 and been the subject of numerous magazine articles over the years, long before other sources like forums and You Tube. I know something about lots of different motorcycles and maxi scooters just because info is everywhere. So I'm sure the OP will know something about Silver Wings too.

So for an experienced rider to ask if a long established
600cc 50bhp twin cylinder maxi scooter with weather protection and plenty of underseat storage is suitable for commuting is nothing short of naive.
Back to top Go down
Bravefruitcake
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2017 4:53 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice, went to see the bike last night and had a lil get ride, the thing is mint, has full service history from new when bought in 2002, total stock, service stamps and receipts for every 4K miles, mot certs for every year too,

Only thing I noticed but due to never actually seeing one before is that it was heavy to push, now I’m guessing that’s normal but wasn’t 100% sure so if anyone has ideas to that, I’m used to naked 600s that weigh a tad less
Back to top Go down
Bravefruitcake
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2017 4:57 pm

@meldrew, I appreciate you mentioning that I asked if it was a good commuter, I only asked that as I know they are designed for touring, I have had my license since 14 and put a regular 25k a year on bikes so I like to see myself as at least a bit more than a new rider Smile

4 years was riding as a courier too so plenty of on road experience Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2017 6:02 pm

I'm curious mate, how did you obtain any type of motorcycle licence at 14? When I was 14 there was no one of that age coming to school on moped or motorcycle, you were lucky to have a push bike. In fact it was December 1972 when the minimum age for riders of motorbikes over 50cc was raised from 16 to 17.

That led to hordes of 16 years old spotty Herbert's whizzing round on their 50cc Yamaha Fizzie mopeds.

Last edited by Meldrew on Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bravefruitcake
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2017 6:05 pm

When I was 11 I moved to Spain with my family, out there you could obtain a license for a 50cc from the age of 14 Smile then when I moved back to the uk when I was 16 I took my cbt, and after 3 cbts I finally took my a2 test in March 2015, now I am 25 I will be taking the test to upgrade to the full a license once I have the money spare Smile
Back to top Go down
Bravefruitcake
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2017 6:12 pm

I have ridden all sorts from Chinese 50s, 2 stroke supersport 125s (ns125r) Piaggio X9 125 Chinese replica thing, SV650, GSR600, er500, cb500, gs500 (did test on that) and a fair few others over the years haha

So please excuse if I ask some silly questions about the silverwings as I’m not used to larger than 125 mopeds/scooters Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2017 6:16 pm

I've seen similar aged yoofs on mopeds in France and Holland. You do know that at 25 you'll probably be the youngest person on this forum, everyone else is at least 30 years older.
Back to top Go down
Bravefruitcake
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2017 6:19 pm

Yeah it’s only really the uk that seems smart enough to make the age higher for people to jump on a bike to be honest,

And yeah that’s fine, a lot of people my age would turn their noses up at bikes like the silverwing, personally I think they are perfect at what they do, I’m not an aggressive go fast everywhere kind of rider, I enjoy a nice long ride that I can get off at the end and still walk, a lot of my friends laughed at me when I said I was getting one, I just said I don’t care, I’ll be comfortable and won’t carry anything for them when we go on longer rides
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2017 6:29 pm

Just be aware that, while you wont be sherpa-ing any of their excess load, when you do arrive you'll be the guy they send out for the case(s) of frothy brew.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Bravefruitcake
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2017 6:33 pm

haha they’ll be lucky... don’t drink beer myself, more of a brandy man, and if I’m paying they’ll get what I buy for them
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2017 3:51 am

Do you have secure parking or a garage at home? Because a Silver Wing weighs 247 kg and takes up quite a bit of space. I've read posts from owners say that they're too big to move round to the back of the house out of view. I'm saying that because scooters theft and robberies by low life scum on 'mopeds' seems to out of control in London.
Back to top Go down
Bravefruitcake
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2017 5:05 am

Secure but probably won’t stop them if they really want it, have a ground anchor in my front garden, will also have tracker and alarm fitted to the bike, luckily though I actually live in Southend so not quite within the danger zone, work in barking though so if anything happens it will be at work tbh, it’s locked in the staff parking where I work in the shopping center there.

Been thinking of installing a trip cord style switch inline to the kill switch aswel, like jet skis have so if someone tries to push me off then they will at least have to push it away and won’t be able to just jump on and ride off Smile
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-07-30

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2017 8:21 am

The Silver Wing makes a great commuter, but a couple things haven't been mentioned/answered yet:

- Yes, they are heavy for a 600. However, this is only a problem when pushing it, since the center of gravity is so much lower than that of a motorcycle. While in motion, it handles more like a 250.

- In stop & go traffic, they are not great, because the clutch is slipping all the way up to 15 mph. However, it beats a manual clutch in that scenario!

- The storage space is brilliant. Only the really big motorcycles come stock with as much locking storage. (at least here in the USA)

- +1 on ABS. I passed over a lot of nice Silver Wings to make sure mine was an ABS model. I had it actuate once on my Yamaha FJR; saved me from crashing to avoid a deer. Crashed my PGO Buddy 125 avoiding a deer BECAUSE it didn't have ABS. (something about deer materializing in front of a motorcycle that encourages reflexive over-braking....)

- Re. not getting respect from sportbike monkies, I've found the opposite, at least in passing. Oncoming, the Silver Wing looks remarkably like a Suzuki Hayabusa (GSX1300) A bit thicker fairing at the bottom, but for an oncoming guy who doesn't know exactly what he's looking at, it looks like a sportbike with the rider a bit more upright than usual. I've had them wave, then try to jerk it back when they realize they'd been duped. Laughing
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2017 3:33 pm

Fruitcake at 25 you'll need some Grecian -2000.
It's like Grecian 2000 but it adds grey!
And sort out this not fast rider and don't drink beer nonsense! Ah the youth of today. When I were a lad etc etc etc... (que gibbering semi senile twaddle).

Go for it, you'll be ahead of the curve. Maxi scoots are on the up :-)
Back to top Go down
Bravefruitcake
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2017 4:13 pm

Lol Steve, dare I ask what Grecian is? Haha don’t worry, most of the youth are still like that, I just had to grow up fast so I could live so I missed my teenage years haha, maybe that’s the reason I’m a Store manager with a private rented flat and not a council one Smile haha
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2017 4:55 pm

Bravefruitcake

So you commute from Southend to Vicarage fields. Do you go A13 (Death alley) A12, M11.
I used to commute from Clacton to Barking daily once upon a time.
Back to top Go down
Bravefruitcake
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2017 4:58 pm

Yeah down a127 then onto the a13,

Southend to barking seems minor compared to Clacton to barking
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2017 5:04 pm

You are brave the A13 lanes are narrow and many a biker got/gets taken out.
My mate gave up biking after being side swiped on the M11 when our office moved to Bow & we both commuted from Chelmsford then.
If you fancy meeting for coffee and looking over a silverwing give me a shout
Back to top Go down
Bravefruitcake
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2017 5:09 pm

Yeah it can be a bit fun at times, actually wrote off my last bike down the a13 just coming over the barking overpass, car decided he wanted to be in my lane without looking first, that’s actually how I ended up looking at the silverwing, got my insurance cheque through so that’s what’s paying,

Actually pick my own silverwing up on Tuesday Smile shall post some pics once I got it, got a real bargain, it’s not an abs model but for the price I am not complaining haha, still be good to meet up some time though, nice to ride with people who don’t feel the need to wheelie at every minute haha, or do you aswel? Lmao
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2017 6:22 pm

Seems as if you will be getting a well-maintained bike. Reading what you are looking for, it should suit you well. The biggest difference I found between a regular bike and the Swing is the unbelievable comfort difference. I will be able to ride many more long distance miles on this bike.

Yes, it is heavier than it looks, and that's why from the many used ones I have seen, it seems to have a high slow-speed drop history, but it will be ok for you as long as you realize it is a relatively heavy bike.

Fairing also makes a big difference. My last two bikes have had fairings, and I stay warmer and less buffeted on the fairing bikes.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 22, 2017 5:01 am

Bravefruitcake wrote:

Actually pick my own silverwing up on Tuesday :)got a real bargain, I am not complaining haha, still be good to meet up some time though, nice to ride with people who don’t feel the need to wheelie at every minute haha, or do you aswel? Lmao

Glad to hear you got one (Meldrew).

I visit my mate in Hawkwell regularly so usually have a coffee at Southend airport MaccyD (though he's a Harley man so lots of piss taking)

I was always crap at wheelies & haven't tried since my DR350 ownership days.

Back to top Go down
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2017-10-20

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 23, 2017 7:09 am

Regarding being hard to push about:
My first impressions are that while heavy it's stable and easy to push. The killer is my centre stand, it seems to be a good inch too long, so make for a heavy lift. In part I think this is due to the very soft suspension meaning a lot of sag needs to be taken up before the back wheel's off the floor.

One thing I've noticed on some scooters is that the clutch can drag a tiny bit even at idle or engine-off scenarios. A Yamaha T-Max I tested (2014, 3k miles) was so bad it felt like it had flat tyres. My 125 on the other hand is dead easy - the clutch (now fitted with stiffer Polini springs for higher-rpm engagement for faster starts) disengages at about 9-11mph when slowing, below which is coasts. This means that pushing it is dead easy. My Swing does the same, disengaging at a similar speed. So it's just as easy to push once moving, it's just that there's a fair bit more weight to get moving in the first place.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 23, 2017 10:13 am

Gotta keep reminding myself that weight is both a liability and an asset. Most on this forum know that light bikes are nice to slow-speed maneuvering, but in windy conditions are frightening at the least. Any heavy bike gives more comfort in windy conditions. Again, no bike is perfect.

Add the Swing's low center of gravity w/ gas tank, engine, and lower steel configuration, giving wind a little less of a problem.
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 23, 2017 12:12 pm

If when you get your 2002 swing you need any cheap spare parts i have broken up two and have another one coming in the pipeline all are none ABS models.
Make sure front wheel bearings are good if worn they fail quick and are cheap enough on ebay around £10 is the norm for the set inc. seals also keep a close eye on tyre pressures especially the front or you will throw it down the road. But all in all a great bit of kit wish i had bought one years ago
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New possible swing owner   New possible swing owner I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New possible swing owner
Page 1 of 1