Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 6:49 am

» New to Me Swing
Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 2:47 am

» I said Farewell...
Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 7:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 9:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:28 pm

» Drive belt prices
Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good

Go down 
+5
tankyuong
theop
dspevack
masscoot
DennisB
9 posters
AuthorMessage
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good Empty
PostSubject: Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 4:34 pm

Hi All,

Old Dave in Western Nebraska (DaveR) sent me an email and told me of a great little Temperature gauge he found & mounted on his Swing. Dave's real particular about what accesseories he monuts on his scooter (see his scooters pictures in the album). Real Clean.

He sent me a couple of pictures and the gauge & setup looked good. Out of the True kindness of his hart (And Thank You, Again). He sent me one. The cost for the Temperature unit was very low, Under $5.00 USD in cost and I have found it to be very accurite.

It's made under the name "ACU-RITE" model # 00799. Easy to read with numbers 3/4" tall and has an ON/OFF switch on the bottom. This saves in the battery, which by the way is replaceable, # L1154 Cell.

This unit has a WEATHER RESISTANT EXTERIOR.

Well this is what I did with it, I removed the suction cup, Taped all but the back side of the lens and gave it a very light dusting with some fast drying white paint, I can see it allot better now. Cut a small piece of 1" aluminum (90 deg. angle 3/4" wide) and bent it to 115 degs. drilled a 10mm hole then sandblasted it and painted the mount black. I used a small amount of Ultra Black Sealer to hold it on to the new bracket and let it cure over night. Mounted it this morning. Had to find a little longer mirror bolt, done deal.

Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good Temp110
Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good Temp210

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 4:42 pm

Nice job Dennis! That is a great mounting location.

......Ahh 65 degrees we will not see that again till spring Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good Icon_cry
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 5:49 pm

Windy and a little above 80 F. today 65 deg. was this morning.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 6:57 pm

DennisB wrote:
Windy and a little above 80 F. today 65 deg. was this morning.

Your sentence...my numbers
Windy and a little above 51 F. today 32 deg. was this morning.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 2:37 am

I used this one for years before I went to one with more functions. Time, stopwatch, voltage, and two thermometers, as well as an Ice warning. These things are available on ebay and in many bike stores. ($25-$40) The only concern I have with your (and Old Dave's) thermometer is it seems like unnecessarily bulky and obvious whereas you can mount this just above or below your dash gauges and idiot lights and you get more functions with a more subtle, built-in feel.

Dan

Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good 1164_35
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 3:35 am

Well Dan, Sounds like you got winner on your hands.

I just don't need all the other readouts, just the temperature, that's all. I was just thinking.....do I really need something to tell me if it's icy. I don't think so.

And I can see this one. Works for me. Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good Icon_sunny
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 5:41 am

DennisB wrote:
And I can see this one. Works for me. Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good Icon_sunny

That's all that counts Dennis. Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 12:59 pm

That's correct.
Back to top Go down
theop
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 4:58 pm

I am also looking for a temp sensor. I need it mainly to check it first thing in the morning to see if there ll be any black ice etc...

Seeing quite a few of the super thermometers and their assorted mounting bits and bobs that are on market, I decided I needed something simpler...

Haven't found any simple digital waterproof stick-on ones., but I saw this from a US retailer :
http://www.aerostich.com/navigate-communicate/scooter-clocks-compasses-thermometers/thermometers-and-gauges/liquid-crystal-temperature-strips.html

I think its cool...
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 6:36 pm

Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good Img_0410
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 8:33 pm

dspevack wrote:
I used this one for years before I went to one with more functions. Time, stopwatch, voltage, and two thermometers, as well as an Ice warning. These things are available on ebay and in many bike stores. ($25-$40) The only concern I have with your (and Old Dave's) thermometer is it seems like unnecessarily bulky and obvious whereas you can mount this just above or below your dash gauges and idiot lights and you get more functions with a more subtle, built-in feel.

Dan

Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good 1164_35

Too much information. Data overload.

I'll stick to a speedo thank you.

If its cold I'll get goose bumps - and dress accordingly.
Other than that, regular rides should keep the battery in order!!! (Hopefully)
Ice gauge!!!! I live in a fairly temperate climate so no real need. (However if the Ice Age cometh - cross that path at the time!!!!!!) Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 12:16 am

There is a suitable suitable highly accurate weather guage, which is available from small compact portable version to the one shown in the picture..

Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good Sig022
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 12:42 am

Hi Kurt,

So where did you hang your weather telling rock on your SWing?
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 1:42 am

Actually, the kids bought me one for Chrismas many moons ago and hung it in the dunny (WC), but the pocket versions can be placed anywhere. I reckon a good plce to hang it on the Swing would be under the seat rear edge and only used stationary with the seat up as there it would not distract the rider and save him/her from suffereing from checkgaugeittis, which can be severely detrimental to the mental and physical health of the rider.
C'mon, how many times did you check the temp guage in the first week you installed it? Truthfully now!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Where can I find this one. I have been looking for a temp guage and this looks good.   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 7:19 pm

tankyuong wrote:
Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good Img_0410
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 8:46 pm

KurtPerthWA wrote:
There is a suitable suitable highly accurate weather guage, which is available from small compact portable version to the one shown in the picture..

Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good Sig022

When I did a course that involved meteorology part of the first package of my course was a weather forecasting kit.

1 nail!!!!

With the instructions, obtain seaweed from nearest coastline.

With enclosed nail, attach seaweed to side of building.

Here comes the technical meteorological bit.

If the seaweed is dry - it's ain't rainin'. Rolling Eyes

If the seaweed is wet - it is raining. Wink

Simple really!!!!!!

Who mentioned advection fog!!!!!!!! Sleep Sleep Sleep
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 9:10 pm

Similar things happen all round the world. Have a look for
"wyoming wind sock" on Google.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 4:28 am

Chief Rider wrote:
tankyuong wrote:
You can get it at Petco where the aquarium stuff are at. $10 i believeTemperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good Img_0410
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 4:56 am

A Garmin for $10 at Petco? Cool!
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi Guys,

I found this on Ebay. Take a look, $1.00 + $2.49 shipping from China:
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A1%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1&_nkw=Digital%20Terrarium%20Thermometer&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_pgn=1
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 3:04 pm

Nice one Dennis, but fitting out a Swing for running submerged could be rather expensive, hey!
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 4:44 pm

KurtPerthWA wrote:
Nice one Dennis, but fitting out a Swing for running submerged could be rather expensive, hey!
Saran wrap works good lol Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 4:52 pm

O' Kurt...your just a big kidder Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good Icon_redface

The LCD unit goes on the outside of the fish tank and the temperature probe goes inside the fish tank or in this application goes down the handlebar, under the cover.

Not a bad idea...Lets just say it's a small step up from having a pet rock on a string hanging on the scooter. Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good Affraid

Last edited by DennisB on Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 5:04 pm

Dennis....I could have had this aquarium temp gauge in my shirt pocket on our trip from West OK to tulsa on our trip.
Still drying out the little lady that rode behind me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good   Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Temperature Gauge that's Easy to Read and Looks Good
Page 1 of 1