Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Engine temperature gauge

Go down 
+6
Loosemarbles
"Hi Yo"
Old Limey
Dale N.
Cosmic_Jumper
Mrmoz
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Mrmoz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2018-08-23

Engine temperature gauge  Empty
PostSubject: Engine temperature gauge    Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 9:30 am

Hi guys not been on for a while it's Mr moz from the uk with an 09 wing 14k miles. My question is when should the fan kick in to cool the radiator my is kicking in with 3 indicators on the gauge which is well in the normal temp range no matter how much its ridden or stood in traffic the gauge never gets above 3 indicators/markers on the gauge. It recently had a coolant change and used coolant I had lying around that I used in my honda vfr800. The rad gets warm quite quickly so I think the thermostat is working OK so could the engine temperature sensor be faulty. Thanks for any information
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Engine temperature gauge    Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 9:54 am

If you are in congested traffic or stopped for a bit if time with the engine running the fun will turn on.

Your description sounds like normal operation. However, do check the coolant reservoir for proper coolant level.
Back to top Go down
Mrmoz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Engine temperature gauge    Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 10:26 am

All my other bikes the fan has only come on when the temp gets to red on the gauge but my fan is coming on with the gauge only half way up still well within normal temperature
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Engine temperature gauge    Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 11:25 am

Mrmoz, Mine comes on with the gauge in the normal zone also. That's normal. It's like a car radiator and fan. The engine is in the normal range but the fan will still come on in slower traffic or sometimes just sitting at a stop light. As long as the fan does come on I wouldn't worry about it. At least you know it's working properly. And like Tim says, check the coolant level to make sure you have enough fluid in it.
Back to top Go down
Mrmoz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Engine temperature gauge    Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 11:34 am

Well yes at least I know it's working when it needs to I just thought it was coming on early according to the gauge reading. I'd expect it to kick in on the 4th indicator or even the 5th red 1 which is why I thought temperature sensor was giving wrong info to the gauge ie the engine was hotter than the gauge is saying?

Last edited by Mrmoz on Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Engine temperature gauge    Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 1:54 pm

Your gauge is working normally.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Engine temperature gauge  510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Engine temperature gauge    Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 2:53 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
If you are in congested traffic or stopped for a bit if time with the engine running the fun will turn on.

My definition of "fun" is slightly different.    Smile   Smile   small moped

( Sorry Cosmic Jumper, I was only poking fan.)
Back to top Go down
Mrmoz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Engine temperature gauge    Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 3:23 pm

Are you saying the bike has some kind of sensor that knows its stood stood still and brings the fan on?
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1553
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Engine temperature gauge    Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 8:01 pm

I don't think it's that sophisticated. I reckon the sensor alerts the fan before the gauge gets the chance to move. I would say all is well.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Engine temperature gauge    Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 11:39 pm

Mrmoz wrote:
Are you saying the bike has some kind of sensor that knows its stood stood still and brings the fan on?

It's more that when the bike is no longer moving, air is no longer passing thru the radiator so the coolant temperature rises. The fan switch/temperature sensor is set to turn on the fan at X° --before it gets into the overheat range.
Back to top Go down
Mrmoz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Engine temperature gauge    Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 2:53 am

OK well I will see how it goes. I've got a temperature probe at work il stick the thin probe end in between the rad fin's and watch them temp gauge and see what actual temperature the fan kicks in at. The only thing that bothers me is pre coolant change the fan hardly ever came on now I've flushed the rad and put new coolant in it comes on more frequent. Checked coolant level yesterday and it's all good. Thanks for all the feedback guys.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Engine temperature gauge    Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 6:28 am

Mine does the same; fan comes on when the gauge is in the 'normal' block.
It occurred to me ages ago that this was a bit odd but I'd rather that, especially if it's normal for the bike, than watching the temperature rising and praying the fan comes on.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Engine temperature gauge    Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 8:39 am

Mrmoz wrote:
OK well I will see how it goes. I've got a temperature probe at work il stick the thin probe end in between the rad fin's and watch them temp gauge and see what actual temperature the fan kicks in at. The only thing that bothers me is pre coolant change the fan hardly ever came on now I've flushed the rad and put new coolant in it comes on more frequent. Checked coolant level yesterday and it's all good. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

You are over thinking this. Trust Honda. Be happy.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Engine temperature gauge    Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 9:26 am

Mrmoz wrote:
 I've got a temperature probe at work il stick the thin probe end in between the rad fin's and watch them temp gauge and see what actual temperature the fan kicks in at.

Putting a temp' sensor between the radiator fins will not give you any worthwhile result bud, it will be measuring the radiated temperature of the metal, NOT the coolant temperature.  
If you really, really want to check the operation of the coolant temperature sensor you need to remove it from the system, place it in a flask of water & measure it's resistance value, @ 80 degrees Centigrade it should be 2.3K ohms +/- 20%  & then again @ 120 degrees Centigrade it should be 0.69K ohms again +/-20%.

OR

What Tim said .........

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

You are over thinking this. Trust Honda. Be happy.
Back to top Go down
Mrmoz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Engine temperature gauge    Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2019 12:37 pm

Hi and just thought I'd report back of the temp probe although as above stated I know its not a truly accurate assessment of what is going on. The temp of the radiator was 89.4 degrees when the fan kicked in but still only 3 bars on the temp gauge were visible. So I think that's nothing to worry about my vfr 800 fans use to kick in about 93 degrees so the thermostat is working and opening as it should and the fans are kicking in about when they should. But I don't know how hot this bike has to get to register 4 bars on the tamp gauge because I can only get it upto 3 in any test be it stationary or riding in warm weather.. Its honda a well built honda at that so il trust it and just ride it and stop worrying.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Engine temperature gauge    Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2019 2:08 pm

Smile yay, ride & be happy bud, that's the way Smile
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Engine temperature gauge    Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2019 7:29 pm

3 bars is normal saw 4 one time after replacing the water pump and system was air bound. Shut it down and kept adding coolant till it burped.

My Yamaha works similar to your Honda. Goes to 4 bars then fan comes on back to 3.
Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2017-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Engine temperature gauge    Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2019 1:30 am

I've ridden my bike for 150km's at less than 20km/h marshaling cyclists during a South African summer and never seen the temp rise above 3 bars. Fan does it's own thing - trust this bike implicitly! Bulletproof!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine temperature gauge    Engine temperature gauge  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Engine temperature gauge
Page 1 of 1