Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Today at 9:35 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rear wheel spline wear

Go down 
+3
Jolly Bodger
oldwingguy
Easyrider
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Rear wheel spline wear Empty
PostSubject: Rear wheel spline wear   Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 13, 2017 1:53 pm

Does a trike kit cause usual wearing of the splines in the rear wheel hub?

I just purchased a 2004 Swing with a Voyager trike kit and when adjusting the parking brake, I noticed that the rear wheel wobbles. I am waiting on an inquiry to an eBay merchant about a wheel being offered. I also will be replacing the bearing in the swingarm. The air filter also looks really clogged. Can not see any light coming through the element. I also ordered a complete set of brake pads and will be replacing them. I only have a short time here in Idaho and can only do so much servicing. The seller did replace the oil and filter on the day I went to pick it up. Will be servicing the final drive unit later. Brake fluid and anti-freeze flush to happen later also.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel spline wear   Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 14, 2017 9:47 am

Here is my SWAG on this, it well could just from the point of view watching a G'Wing with one attached. The other factor is if the air filter was that bad one would wonder what other maintenance items were ignored? <> Brake fluid and anti-freeze flush to happen later also.<> I would do these ASAP to protect their systems from crud and corrosion.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel spline wear   Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 14, 2017 1:57 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
Here is my SWAG on this, it well could just from the point of view watching a G'Wing with one attached. The other factor is if the air filter was that bad one would wonder what other maintenance items were ignored? <> Brake fluid and anti-freeze flush to happen later also.<> I would do these ASAP to protect their systems from crud and corrosion.

I hear you, I am leaving in two days back to Honolulu. I will be returning at the end of the month to close on a home we plan to rent here in Idaho. When we return, I will have two weeks to repair the Swing and move it to our new property. My main priority is the rear wheel wobble. Waiting on two eBay merchants to respond to my inquires. I will attempt flushing the brakes, and anti-freeze only if there is enough time.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel spline wear   Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 14, 2017 4:15 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
. I will attempt flushing the brakes, and anti-freeze only if there is enough time.<<>> having all the tools and replacement items at hand  you could be done in a morning easy, a look around the how to section here will be a big help if this is your first attempt.

Yes, I know and have done it in the past. You are assuming that that is all I have to do in the eleven days I will be here, or maybe you are assuming that I live here. I am purchasing commercial property and will need to do some fixer upper to make it available for a rental.

I have to get a replacement rear wheel, mount a tire, check rear rotor for bends, replace the bearing on the swing arm, replace the air filter, repairing the trike mounting. Original owner used wrong bolts, nuts when mounting the trike. I need to mount a new front tire.
While doing this, I need to paint parts of the home we are purchasing, including the patio, and door frames for the shop. I need to repair parts of the water sprinkler I need to clean any items left by the seller that I do not want. Get the place insured, sign up with a property management company.
I have eleven days to do all this. So I prioritized repairs and servicing the Swing.
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel spline wear   Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 14, 2017 5:24 pm

Easyrider wrote:
oldwingguy wrote:
. I will attempt flushing the brakes, and anti-freeze only if there is enough time.<<>> having all the tools and replacement items at hand  you could be done in a morning easy, a look around the how to section here will be a big help if this is your first attempt.

Yes, I know and have done it in the past. You are assuming that that is all I have to do in the eleven days I will be here, or maybe you are assuming that I live here. I am purchasing commercial property and will need to do some fixer upper to make it available for a rental.

I have to get a replacement rear wheel, mount a tire, check rear rotor for bends, replace the bearing on the swing arm, replace the air filter, repairing the trike mounting. Original owner used wrong bolts, nuts when mounting the trike. I need to mount a new front tire.
While doing this, I need to paint parts of the home we are purchasing, including the patio, and door frames for the shop. I need to repair parts of the water sprinkler I need to clean any items left by the seller that I do not want. Get the place insured, sign up with a property management company.
I have eleven days to do all this. So I prioritized repairs and servicing the Swing.

So what are you doing on the other 10 days? Laughing
JB
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel spline wear   Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 14, 2017 6:12 pm

NEVER ASSUME Smile
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel spline wear   Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 15, 2017 1:40 am

JB,
In detail:
1. Meet with escrow agent to sign the necessary documents.
2. Final signed escrow documents need to be sent to Honolulu 1031 exchange agent.
3. 1031 exchange company needs to transfer the monies to the Idaho escrow agent.
4. We get the keys to the new home.
5. Meet and sign contracts for our property management company.
6. Set up account with the utility companies
7. Set up internet
8. Set up home network for security system
9. Obtain air compressor, paint sprayer, compressor hoses, paint, brushes, cleaning supplies, etc.
10. Move our things currently stored at my daughter's house.
11. Repairs identified by our home inspector:
a. Prime and paint the patio rafters and plywood sheeting.
b. Repair faulty water sprinkler head(s).
c. Paint door jams for the large 30x36 shop.
12. Get approval with management company as to the condition of home.
13. Clean the entire home for rental listings.
14. Obtain tire changer for motorcycle and mount on the floor of the shop.
15. Mount and balance new front and DS rear tire.
16. Remove and press on new bearings in swing arm.
17. Mount new rear wheel and hope the wobble is gone.
18. Replace the air cleaner, front and rear brake pads including the parking brake pads.
19. Obtain correct bolts to attach the Voyager trike.
20. Move the trike to the shop at my new rental.
21. NOW, IF THERE IS TIME, I WILL SERVICE THE SWING.
22. Fly back to Honolulu and REST.

Now I have my tentative to do list.
Thanks All. Aloha.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel spline wear   Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2017 9:06 pm

I am back in Honolulu to take care of some business. Have been away for awhile. Will be returning to Idaho at the end of the month to close on a home we purchased. During the two weeks in Idaho, I need to do some repairs to get the house ready for renting. I also have to repair my 2004 Swing and get it back on the road. It is currently stored at my daughter's place in Idaho. Need to find a car tire for the rear. Purchased a used 2013 rear wheel.
Will update this post later when I get back to Idaho.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel spline wear   Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 22, 2017 11:22 pm

Yep, every year. So next summer for me. Placing bike into storage. FWIW, my bike insurance company has this winter storage option where I can declare my bike in storage, then inform them when I bring it out of storage. Never needed it in Hawaii.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel spline wear   Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 8:46 am

frustrated Brake fluid flushing thread discussion has been moved to a new topic
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel spline wear   Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2018 1:53 am

I am back in Idaho to finish repairing my 04 Swing. Removed the trike. Had to reinstall the main stand. Installed new rear axle inner and outer spacer including a new axle nut. That including a used rear wheel corrected the wobble.
Rebuilt the parking and rear calipers, changed the belt. Need to replace the rollers with sliders next time I am here. Currently changing the oil, filter, and differential oil. I will be flushing the coolant and the brakes next. Then reinstall the trike.
Wife and I are planning to do short road trips. We have till the end of September to play around. Wish us luck.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel spline wear   Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2018 11:13 am

To me....it sounds like excessive spline wear due to bike doing something it was not designed to do....like trike! on each tire replacement I greased splines a little.

Save money on car tire and get fresh set of real scooter tires....bike will be easier to ride and probably safer.
Back to top Go down
Thebreen
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2011-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel spline wear   Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2018 2:05 pm

Easyrider wrote:
Does a trike kit cause usual wearing of the splines in the rear wheel hub?

I just purchased a 2004 Swing with a Voyager trike kit and when adjusting the parking brake, I noticed that the rear wheel wobbles. I am waiting on an inquiry to an eBay merchant about a wheel being offered. I also will be replacing the bearing in the swingarm. The air filter also looks really clogged. Can not see any light coming through the element. I also ordered a complete set of brake pads and will be replacing them. I only have a short time here in Idaho and can only do so much servicing. The seller did replace the oil and filter on the day I went to pick it up. Will be servicing the final drive unit later. Brake fluid and anti-freeze flush to happen later also.

so are you putting the training wheels back on?

the wobble was probably caused by loose wheel nut - thus causing the wheel to get worn (aluminum on steel) - (which could lead to damaged bearing as well).
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel spline wear   Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2018 10:27 pm

john grinsel wrote:
To me....it sounds like excessive spline wear due to bike doing something it was not designed to do....like trike!  on each tire replacement I greased splines a little.

Save money on car tire and get fresh set of real scooter tires....bike will be easier to ride and probably safer.

John,
Had nothing to do with it being a trike. The previous owner whom installed a MC rear tire didn't put back the outer collar before screwing on the axle nut. Without that collar the axle cannot be torqued to 102 ft lbs. Best I could do was 80 lbs. No problem now with the outer collar and car tire.
Today I was able to finish the belt and close up the covers. The previous owner didn't reinstall the screen when changing the motor oil. Will see if local Honda dealer has a replacement. I also installed a XG6607 Fram filter.
Hopefully I can finish the oil change and flush the coolant and brake fluid tomorrow.
Yes, I will be reinstalling the Voyager trike kit. Need to set the preload. Hopefully can get it all done tomorrow. Will update this post tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel spline wear   Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2018 10:53 pm

I was able to find the oil screen at a dealership. It costs about $6. Finished changing the oil and flushed the antifreeze. Started to flush the brakes. Having problems obtaining pressure at the handle. Brake fluid flowed when I squeezed the handle along with air bubbles. Trying something I read here to tie the brake handles and leaving it over night. Will check tomorrow morning if I get any back pressure. Will be installing the trike kit and readjusting the pre-load. Will update tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel spline wear   Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2018 11:44 pm

Still had problems bleeding the front and rear brakes. Just no back pressure. Went and got a bleeder from HR. Got all the air bled from the system yet no back pressure. Then I tried something different. I squeezed the handle and let it return on it's own rapidly. Kept repeating the process. I noticed that a lot of minute air bubbles would surface from under a small stainless piece next to the drain hole in the brake reservoir. By repeating the process, I started to get back pressure on the right handle. The left side started getting back pressure the more I bled it using the HF bleeder. Installed the Voyeger trike. I did the pre-load. Seem balanced  and ready to ride.
Today wife and I took a short trip (25 miles each way) to Spokane County Fare.

Tomorrow I will be having a new front tire installed. Could not believe that I am not able to get an IRC front tire. The fourth dealer I called said he would order it for me, then later left a phone message stating that he was not able to get the IRC and that he could order me an Avon tire.

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel spline wear   Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2018 7:04 am

I'm curious about that "small stainless steel piece next to the drain hole". Can you identify that piece from this parts illustration?

Rear wheel spline wear Image11
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel spline wear   Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2018 8:36 pm

# 9 ? That little piece of metal prevents a big mess when releasing the lever with cap off. If it wasn't there brake fluid would shoot up about a foot high. My FJR doesn't have these and you must release lever slowly or it's a mess'
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel spline wear   Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2018 12:29 am

Tim,
It does look like #9 in the illustration.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel spline wear   Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2018 10:04 pm

Just got back two days ago from a 350 mile test ride with the wife. Bike and Voyager worked fine except for some head shake 20-45 MPH. Yesterday added Ride-On to front MC and rear CT. Took it out for a ride about 11 miles. Seems to have solved most of the head shake. I have to do more riding to do a better test.
I was able to get a great deal at Walmart. Got a Maddog motorcycle saddle bag made by Coleman, the camping people. It was priced at $13.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel spline wear   Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2018 5:29 pm

I made an error in post from Sept 15th. The little piece of metal in the brake master cylinder stops the fluid from shooting up when the lever is pulled not released.

Bleeding the clutch and brakes on FJR today discovered my error. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel spline wear   Rear wheel spline wear I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear wheel spline wear
Page 1 of 1