Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ? I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ? I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
GILDO-X
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2016-06-13

Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ? Empty
PostSubject: Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ?   Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 06, 2017 8:38 pm

I just installed a set of Metzeler tires.  When I got home I was scanning each wheel for what I'd need to do before re-installing, cleaning, re-lubing... etc.  I noted rotation direction on the brake disk. scanned some more and noted that on the sidewall there are two arrows, (looking from the left side of the bike) the arrow points clockwise for the tire, if mounted on the front.  The arrow on the brake disk, correctly, points counter clockwise.  So it would appear that the tire is installed "backwards".

The installer pointed out that the "V" shape of the tread is pointed forwards, which seems correct as it would displace water to the rear of the bike.

If they're installed per the directions on the side wall the tread "V" would be inverted and seems that it would displace water fwd of the bike?

I've messaged Metzeler and the seller, but I need to get the bike back together.  Has anyone else ever encountered this?
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1013
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ?   Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 06, 2017 10:50 pm

Go with the arrows!
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ?   Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 07, 2017 4:22 am

I have to agree with easy rider the "arrow" dictates tyre direction unless there is additional info.

Link may help

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-article/how-to-read-tyre-markings
Back to top Go down
GILDO-X
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2016-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ?   Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 07, 2017 8:12 am

Thanks EasyRider, Thanks Scootypuff!
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ?   Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 07, 2017 2:47 pm

The arrows are correct. We can safely assume a) your tyre installer has not installed tyres before, and b) you'll find someone competent next time.
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ?   Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 07, 2017 3:01 pm

Which way the arrow points depends if you are looking at it with the arrow at the bottom of the tire when it is closest to the ground or when it is rotated up with the arrow at the top just under the fender. The proper way to look at it may be indicated whether there are any words along with that arrow. The word must be read with the letters upright, not upside down, and this is usually with the word being read while it is at the top.

As to the "V" pattern of tread, I have always seen tires mounted with the sharp point of the "V" contacting the ground first while rotating forward. This, presuming that water would be directed from the center of the tread to the outer edges along the left and right arms of the "V"  as the tire rotates and presses down onto the road.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1013
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ?   Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 07, 2017 3:16 pm

Bandito,
It should not matter if the arrows are on the top or bottom rotation of the tire. The tire rotation does not change. 

When I replaced my front tire with a Michelin Power Pure SC, the treads looked like it was backward as compared to the arrows. I ended up following the arrows. I felt that the tire has been tested and in production for a while.

My 2¢.
Back to top Go down

Front Metzeler Tire Rotation ?
Page 1 of 1