Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

I Wonder And Need Help

Go down 
+7
exavid
john grinsel
Art
dspevack
Cosmic_Jumper
oldwingguy
Travdude
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Travdude
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Travdude

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-08-07

I Wonder And Need Help Empty
PostSubject: I Wonder And Need Help   I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 6:16 am

Hey Everyone

I Hoping there is someone out there that might be able to help me with a few Answers.

Ok I have a 2012 Silver Wing I bought it in June of 2013 off the show room floor at a Honda Motorcycle Shop and since purchasing the bike
I have only put 1500 hundred miles on it. I have it siting under a tarp.I don't have garage to put it in that's why the tarp. I also live at 4600 hundred feet above see level so I do get snow from time to time.
I have had the the oil changed and the the maintenance
that the owners manual has recommended since purchasing The bike.

So Question Number-1

Would Dr Pulley Sliders help out with Top End and
if yes what number do I need?
and what else would help out?

Question Number-2
Should I replace both tires they are not worn but they are old
and I feel I should replace them or am I wrong
and what is a good tire I want good quality tire?

Question Number-3
My front forks keeping leaking oil.I have had them fixed twice
already and now there leaking again its going to be out of warranty in June not sure if I should get a another bike or is it a lost cause?

Any Idea's and Help
would be appreciated

Travdude

Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: I Wonder And Need Help   I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 6:49 am

#1 not sure but others swill help.

#2 Your call but at that age I'd go at least another year. Look for sidewall cracking.

#3 You need a WAY better mechanic or you ride some terrible roads, they aren't doing something right, under warranty? have a heart to heart with the shop owner.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: I Wonder And Need Help   I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 8:41 am

Dr Pulley sliders will help slightly with top end speeds. They do work very well to improve accelleration and reduce RPMs at a given cruising speed. OEM is 28gm rollers; 28gm Dr Pulley sliders will get you better accelleration and top end; 22 gm sliders will get you dynamite accelleration but you'll lose a top end because the rev limiter kicks in. Any sliders between will be a trade off. There is nothing wrong with 28 gm sliders. Many folks here have switched to 26 gm sliders and are quite happy with that improvement.

The above said, the S'Wing tops off at 115 mph. Why would you want to go faster than that? 115 mph is sphincter-puckering on these small wheels

#2: +1 on what OWG just said

#3: It sounds as if you have nicked fork sliders which keep tearing up the seals. If it's under warranty the dealer needs to replace those fork sliders ("Front Fork Pipe(s)"). Then you'll need to put on a set of fork gaiters to protect the sliders from further damage.http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Scooter/2009/FSC600D+AC/FRONT+FORK/parts.html

Tim

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Fri May 13, 2016 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: I Wonder And Need Help   I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 10:03 am

If you are doing work on the front forks anyway, now is a good time to upgrade to hyperpro front fork springs.  they are progressive, reduce nose dive and improve handling.  Its a common upgrade that many on here have made.

Another upgrade which may be of value to you is a Power Commander, which will remap your fuel/air mixture and optimize it throughout the power band.

Here is a quote from another thread:

The Scootist wrote:
I put my Swing on a Dyno after installing all my mods.  I ended up with about 41 hp and 40 lbs/ft of torque, but in addition, it remapped the fueling for my altitude (5280 feet above sea level) so my fuel economy was optimized.  I still average in the low 50mpg range.  Have fun with your Swing!
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2015-12-25

PostSubject: Re: I Wonder And Need Help   I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 10:50 am

I hope, when you say you keep your Swing under a tarp, that you mean you have rigged a carport like affair, and the tarp isn't just draped over it, that has two bad side effects
The bike will tip easier in high winds
the tarp will keep moisture under it and create a higher humidity environment, promoting rust and corrosion
Actual motorcycle covers are breathable, and don't have the second problem, though the first may still be operant
I'd leave mine uncovered, in a high humidity environment, rather than cover with a tarp, unless I used the tarp with bungees to make a carport like affair
everyone else already gave the proper answers to the questions you posted, so I'll leave it at that
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: I Wonder And Need Help   I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 12:14 pm

#1 I would leave it stock

#2 Replace fork seals and add fork gaitors

#3 Tires ok for another year or so.

#4 Aerostich has nice close fitting cover that shouldn't do much paint damage in the wind
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: I Wonder And Need Help   I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2016 1:20 am

I seriously doubt you have pitted tubes at its age. I will bet that your dealer doesn't know how to properly install seals. Take it to a different shop. I've changed a lot of Goldwing seals in my old shop some of them old late 70s, some fairly new bikes. I didn't have replacements ever come back due to leaks.

To do the job I disassembled the forks, removed the sliders and cleaned up everything. Your bike is so new things should be pretty clean. Using 800 grit wet or dry paper used wet I rubbed the fork tubes to remove anything that might be stuck to it. When sliding the seals down the fork tube into the sliders it's important to put a layer of tape over the sharp top edge of the fork tubes, lubricate the outer surfaces of the tubes with fork oil and then slide the seals down the tube into the slider. The lips of those seals are very thin and delicate. If you slide them down the tubes dry, it's easy to tear them.

One quick fix is to clean the lips of the seals. I used to make a tool from water or milk bottle plastic. The link to the video below is a pretty good tutorial on the job. The fork in the video is much the same as the Silverwing although they are 'upside' down forks opposite those in the video. The seal set up is about the same though.

I forgot t ask you whether you are having leaks in the same fork tube, both or did it change after the "repairs" that were done. I just can't believe a decent shop would turn out a job that leaked. Twice is ridiculous. I'd get my money back from them if you paid anything. If you don't have the tools to do the job yourself, by all means take you bike to a different shop because the people in the shop you're using are incompetent.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: I Wonder And Need Help   I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2016 10:34 pm

I would leave it stock too, as far as sliders go.
Back to top Go down
Travdude
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Travdude

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: I Wonder And Need Help   I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2016 7:48 am

To Everyone

Thanks for the Info
I appreciate the help
You guys are Scooter and Bike masters and I came to the right place:)Smile

This weekend I plan to take the bike back to the Honda shop and have them replace the fork sliders and the seals and I am going to have them checked to see if there warped or bent as well while its still under warranty witch ends by the way this June yikes!

I also got myself a motorcycle scooter cover and it ties down real good and it definitely has helped against the wind up here.

I do have some more questions though

Question-1
So if I were to put 28g Dr pulley sliders on I take it I would get lower rpm's at say 60-80 mph? I understand it would be slower off the line right? I am mostly after better cruising speed less vibration I ride on mountain roads for the most part and plan to take a trip to Mammoth Lakes
Ca witch I live about 300 miles away Also where would I find out where to buy Dr pulley sliders?

Question-2
So Power Commander how does that work? Does it help a lot? How hard is it to install? Does it take care of the bike automatically or are there manual overrides? Also where can I buy it at?

Question-3
Does anyone know a good cruse control and where to get it? What about a good stereo for the bike I used to have a 1985 Honda 250 Elite Scooter with a Kenwood AM-FM Stereo with a controller off the handle bars Honda was selling them as an accessory for awhile but when I purchased my 1986 Honda Elite used in 1988 after the timing chain broke on my 1985 after putting 50k miles on it. They were not selling the Kenwood anymore but it was cool setup up I miss it
So if anyone has any Idea's I would love to hear it:)

Question-4
So Hyperpro front fork springs do they make them for the rear or just the front? Whats your take? How good are they? Do they help a lot or does it just depend on where you drive and how you drive? Where do you buy them at?

Any Idea's and Help
would be appreciated

Travdude
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: I Wonder And Need Help   I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2016 8:21 am

Question 1: Yes. https://www.buggypartsnw.com/index.php/dr-pulley-products.html

Question 2: It's a magic box which modifies the fuel injection & fuel injection timing. Easy to install. There are manual overrides, but not accessable from a handle bar switch. Google Dyno Jet Power Commander for source & info.

Question 3: Vista Cruise throttle lock. NEP throttle lock. Stereo, stereo!?...We don't need no steenking stereo. YMMV

Question 4: Hyperpros are great. Hagon shocks are available for the rear. Google is your friend.

Tim

Trivia note: It's a little known fact that the Silverwing was developed by a haiku writing zen monk so that he would be able to appreciate the beauty & sound of falling cherry blossoms.

So, no radio; no loud pipes save lives

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Wed May 18, 2016 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrections)
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: I Wonder And Need Help   I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2016 1:36 pm

There are so many other ways to get music other than saddling your bike with a radio and trying to find speaker locations that work etc, that stereo on a bike is pointless.
Most Bluetooth headsets that are built into or attach onto a helmet will pair with Bluetooth music devices. Some units, like the sena have built in FM capability. Others have music sharing capability which will allow you to share music to another headset.

Dan
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: I Wonder And Need Help   I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2016 2:45 pm

Personally I'd leave the bike stock until you have a couple thousand miles one it. Once you've covered some miles you'll have a much better idea of what's worthwhile and what isn't. On the two SW's I've had there were fairly few things I thought worth while.

1. Mirror extenders. Vastly improves the view to the rear.
2. Kisan headlight modulator. A very good safety item.
3. Givi Adjustable windshield. Much better in all conditions than the poor OEM windshield.
4. Dr. Pulley sliders. An improvement but I wouldn't bother until you're belt is ready to be
changed.

I think I'd have a hard talk with the dealer you bought the bike from. It shouldn't have any problems for a long time. Silverwings are the most bulletproof of maxi-scooters. Get yours repaired or replaced by the dealer then ride the machine to break it in and get used to it. You can't tell what you need until you've experienced the bike.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: I Wonder And Need Help   I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2016 8:20 pm

TravDude,

I had the 28gr sliders and I think it lowered my rpm's on the highway by about 300-400 rpm's. The sliders do help smooth out the acceleration
As for the Hyperpro's, I had those and I thought it was a great mod and it made it feel more like a m/c suspension.
I also had the Givi AF and it was the best of about 5 screens I had.
I would buy the PC power commander last since it is expensive and it did smooth out the engine a bit more, and I think I got about 3 mpg more with the EURO map, but other mods IMO were better. But if you want to cruise and tour than the first thing I would get is the Givi AF windshield.

Givi sent me a shield so I could do a review of it and post it here. So you may want to look at it and consider that the first mod you do. It was by far the best screen I had on the SWing IMO.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: I Wonder And Need Help   I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 5:08 am

For music and radio I have a Sony Walkman MP3 Player in a waterproof box which is mounted on a RAM ball on my Motorcycle Larry reservoir lid.
The box has a soft transparent lid so I can press the controls whilst on the move. I don't usually do so, however, because my playlists are long enough to last from stop to stop.

I have a Starcom system through which I play it (helmet speakers) but could plug it in directly, bypassing the Starcom.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: I Wonder And Need Help   I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 11:00 pm

I put 26 Gram sliders on mine when I replaced the belt. No real reason for going with 26 gram vs. any other weight, I just did. It had been sitting for two years under a tarp in FL when I bought it from my sister 3 years ago. The belt still looked new and measured new but I replaced it just to be on the safe side. I kept the old belt for a spare.

My tires were weather cracked so I replaced both. That's also why I replaced the belt. I figured they were both about as old so...

I've never had leaking forks so I won't be any help in that department.

I am using an old cell phone mounted on the handlebars with a Ram mount for my music system. I ordered an amp and bluetooth receiver and put them in my GIVI topbox with a couple of speakers mounted on the lid. It works pretty good but I have an extra set and am working on running wires through the tupperware up to the handle bars to mount them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I Wonder And Need Help   I Wonder And Need Help I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I Wonder And Need Help
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: