Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
tires - Tires IRC  OEM I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
tires - Tires IRC  OEM I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
tires - Tires IRC  OEM I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
tires - Tires IRC  OEM I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
tires - Tires IRC  OEM I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
tires - Tires IRC  OEM I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
tires - Tires IRC  OEM I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
tires - Tires IRC  OEM I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
tires - Tires IRC  OEM I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
tires - Tires IRC  OEM I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Tires IRC OEM

Go down 
+2
Seadog
john grinsel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

tires - Tires IRC  OEM Empty
PostSubject: Tires IRC OEM   tires - Tires IRC  OEM I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 6:38 pm

Tires often discussed.  My present SilverWing, left over 2013, one owner-me, 30,000 plus miles, my second new SilverWing---so have some idea of what makes them tick.

Current tire combo, Michelin PowerPure SC front, Bridgestone hoop rear.....not the greatest combo, not unsafe....but not great feeling either. I plan on riding this bike to 50,000 miles-----So going to spend money to put matched set of IRC OEM spec on.  Original front lasted 23,000 plus miles----so putting on another IRC front at this point will let me ride it out to my mileage goal.   Two more rears, should do it,too.

SilverWing, although top heavy/rear weight bias can be pleasant to ride in spite of these handicaps----nice tires, help,too.  

I do own tire work/ check static balance/run out on balance stand, but use "Ride On" as balance medium, guess I will keep take off Michelin as spare in garage.  Rear Bridgestone will run another 2,000 miles or so.

"Feel" is important to me as bike/scooter goes down road---I don't  think Car Tire people know or care about feel. I have ridden over 1.5 million miles since 1955, so have some feel for "feel".

Note: IRC is Honda OEM recommendation for last SilverWings......and I think they were right.
Back to top Go down
Seadog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Tires IRC OEM   tires - Tires IRC  OEM I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 8:23 pm

My recently acquired (by me) 2010 SilverWing has IRC front (presumably, at 8K miles, the original), and an Avon rear (presumably later replacement), but I'm not familiar enough with Wings to be able to judge their individual or combined merits.

john grinsel wrote:

SilverWing, although top heavy/rear weight bias can be pleasant to ride in spite of these handicaps----nice tires, help,too.  

I don't understand the reference to the S'Wing being top heavy. It seems to me to have an amazingly low centre of gravity compared to my recent bikes (big tourer - ST1100; and adventure bikes - Transalp and Varadero 1000). Neither does the relative recommended tyre pressures seem to indicate notable rear weight bias.

I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong or have misunderstood what you meant.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Tires IRC OEM   tires - Tires IRC  OEM I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 10:42 pm

My favorite tires were the Pirelli's I had on my SWing. The Hoops lasted the longest but the Pirelli's really rode nice and smooth. I also didn't think the SWing was top heavy since the engine is low and somewhat forward mounted. But John has a lot of experience and miles on his SWing's. If you rode the ST1100, which I never have, I'm sure the SWing feels light as a feather.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Tires IRC OEM   tires - Tires IRC  OEM I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2016 2:14 am

I had Bridgestones on several of my previous bikes and had no problems at all until I got a Honda Blackbird CBR1100XX with them on, the bike was downright scary in the wet and at lowish speeds I had the back end constantly trying to overtake the front. I changed to Avons which I love and still use on it. When I got my Silverwing the tyres were very low so I put Avons on and whilst they were ok I was never happy and they wore out very fast, this tyre change I decided to see if Mr Honda was right and I am very happy with the choice.
Back to top Go down
Seadog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Tires IRC OEM   tires - Tires IRC  OEM I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2016 6:37 am

JeffR wrote:
 If you rode the ST1100, which I never have, I'm sure the SWing feels light as a feather.

Amazingly, the Silverwing is 80% of the dry weight of the ST1100 (ABS version), and 75% of the wet weight (the ST1100 has a BIG fuel tank), but the difference does feel much more.

I think that's partly down to what seems to me a much lower centre of gravity on the Silverwing, and partly being better able to get your feet to the ground to manouevre it and hold it up.

Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Tires IRC OEM   tires - Tires IRC  OEM I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2016 8:51 am

When my SWing needed tires, I was so happy with the OEM IRC rubber as to handling but mostly longevity, I put another set on... Price was right too.

OMG I better duck, this may turn in to another "oil" thread! pirat
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2015-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Tires IRC OEM   tires - Tires IRC  OEM I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2016 11:13 am

I think my S wing still has the stock IRC front,it seems to ride and grip all right, the rear is a City grip, also seems ok
IRC tires on the S40 I had were a disaster, just slick as owl snot, but different bikes like different tires, as do different riders
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tires IRC OEM   tires - Tires IRC  OEM I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tires IRC OEM
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Introductions-
Jump to: