Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

a word to the wise ...

Go down 
+8
dspevack
thornev
exavid
Easyrider
Graham G
oldwingguy
terrier
Mike from NS
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

a word to the wise ...  Empty
PostSubject: a word to the wise ...    a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 12:34 pm

I've re-learned some lessons the expensive way recently... and thought if my experiences were shared it may help some of you too.

Not a riding lesson but a "not clicking" lesson. I clicked an attachment supposedly from a friend and gained ransom-ware which cost me $$$ though computer repair. Didn't pay the ransom to get the code to give back my files, which the criminals demanded; but bought a new hard drive which now requires re-setting everything I had on the computer over the last 8 years .... bookmarks, pictures, emails, documents, spread sheets, music, and I'm sure many things I will realize are missing in the days ahead. Starting all over is a real drag. So be careful out there -- whether on the roads or at your computers.

Mike
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: a word to the wise ...    a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 2:18 pm

Mike......Same thing happened to me last week.  I've got every antivrus and malware software known to man and it still got through.  Luckily all of my important stuff I keep on a separate drive.  I have the original Windows 8.1 installation disc so I just wiped everything and reinstalled windows.  It's still a lengthy process getting everything back to normal though.  Having said that, the pc is running a bit faster now so something good came out of it.  Just sitting on the fence at the moment deciding whether to upgrade to Windows 10. I've got until July 29th to decide.

Den   small moped
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: a word to the wise ...    a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 2:26 pm

Windows 10, as bad as 8 could be 10 isn't a friend of mine, much rather have the Vista 7 with upgrades.
Back to top Go down
Graham G
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2015-07-05

PostSubject: Re: a word to the wise ...    a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 2:53 pm

I'm not a computer expert(or any other kind of expert)but,it happened to me a couple of years back,i don't know if it was the same kind of scam,but after hours of desperation,i managed to restart in "safe" mode,& then did a 24 hr back date,which got my computer back up & running,with only a couple of days of info lost.
I'm not saying it's the same issue,but for anyone reading this it may just be worth a shot.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: a word to the wise ...    a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 3:55 pm

I keep all my files in one folder and back it up once every three months to a new thumb drive. That way all I have to do is re-install Windows and reload my folder. The most I would loose would be three months worth of data. You thumb drive has to be large enough to backup your folder. After a year, you can start reusing your oldest thumb drive.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: a word to the wise ...    a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 6:01 pm

To me Windows 8 vs. 10 is no contest. 10 wins hands down. I'm running it on the two computers here at home and have installed it on four of my friends machines now. Smooth install, no problems. It will take over an hour to install unless you have much faster internet service than I do. The only part I don't like is the new browser, "Edge". I still run IE11 or Firfox, depending on what I need to do. If you're not going to Apple or Linux it's worth going ahead and installing W10.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: a word to the wise ...    a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 10:56 pm

My concern is that Windows-10 records all your keystrokes. They say it is only for diagnostic purposes only. My eye... Big Brother is watching you.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: a word to the wise ...    a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 2:34 pm

Don't be concerned, that's Internet B.S. There are many articles available stating it's not true. Here's one from ZD net which is a reliable website:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/does-windows-10-really-include-a-keylogger-spoiler-no/
Back to top Go down
thornev
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2016-06-13

PostSubject: Re: a word to the wise ...    a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 10:51 am

I'm a computer expert, in the industry for 34 years. The general rule is when you receive an email from someone you don't know, do not click on any links in it. If you're curious, hover your mouse over the link and look in the status bar to see where the link would take you. If you don't recognize the address, don't click the link. In general, when I receive an email from someone I don't know or a business with whom I've never done business, I delete the email immediately. If it is really important, the sender will get in touch with me in other ways.

Typical scams are emails that tell you your account has been compromised and maybe locked, and please click a link to restore your account. Retailers would NEVER do that! What they will do is ask you to login to your account but will never provide you a link with which to login.

And lately people have been getting scary phone calls from people telling you that if you don't pay money for back taxes or some legal action, you will be brought up on charges. Just hang up the phone. That is not a legal method for notifying someone of legal actions. You would be served in person if there were a legal matter against you. It is NEVER done via phone.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: a word to the wise ...    a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 11:45 am

I also get some indian outfit calling me every few months claiming to be Microsoft support and telling me there is a virus or other problem with my computer.
The scam is they tell you that you need to download a program update or fix, or they use the software that lets them take over your computer if  you let them.  Then they put the problem on your computer, and offer to solve it for a fee.  Or they hang up leaving you with a faulty computer and then you have to pay to get it working again (Ransomware).  

Sometimes I will see an email supposedly from a friend of mine that has vague info telling me to click the link.  Don't do it! Like Thorney said, hold your cursor over the link.  You can also write click with your cursor over the link and click "properties".  If you can't understand where the link is taking you don't click it.  You can always call the friend who supposedly sent it  and ask if they did.

Dan
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: a word to the wise ...    a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 12:06 pm

I either string them along a bit then tell them I have a Mac or, when they ask what's now showing on my screen, think up something suitably rude, suggesting they should 'go away'.
I'm tired of it.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: a word to the wise ...    a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 12:20 pm

I also get some indian outfit calling me every few months claiming to be Microsoft support and telling me there is a virus or other problem with my computer.

BTDT with them, want to hear silence and a click? I just say funny you should say that, I don't own a computer--------------click.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: a word to the wise ...    a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 12:29 pm

For the last couple of months I've had numerous scam phone calls from ladies and gentlemen on the Indian subcontinent claiming they're tech support from the Internet service provider TalkTalk and they've detected serious malware problems on our home router that they'd like to correct. so if I turn on my computer and follow their detailed instructions, they'll fix the problem.

It's all lies because TalkTalk isn't our ISP and hasn't been for a long time, but TalkTalk was targeted by hackers last year and personal details of millions of customers were stolen, including it now seems ours

The calls are very convincing, the callers are always Indian and there's the normal background chatter you'd hear from a call centre. Telling them you're no longer a TalkTalk customer doesn't phase them as they'll say they're TalkTalk tech support and also provide service for your new ISP whatever it is.

What they're sneakily try to do is gain access to your computer by asking you very nicely to turn on your computer and install remote control software called TeamViewer which can allow them to infect your computer with malware or to delete or copy personal files, or more likely plunder your bank accounts.

Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: a word to the wise ...    a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 12:46 pm

I used to get a few of these.
Top fun messing with their minds I find, but if feeling lazy I just tell them I don't have a computer.
Generally I find denying all terms and conditions work. "Hello, is that mr h?" "No", "who is your current electricity supplier?", "I don't have one, I live off-grid".
My all time favourite though was someone trying to get me to change my phone provider, after playing along for about 20 minutes and getting the guy and more confused I explained I didn't even have a phone.
Back to top Go down
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-09-03

PostSubject: Re: a word to the wise ...    a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 2:29 pm

All incoming phone calls go to my voicemail, I never answer the phone. If it is someone I know I call them back. My family and friends know the procedure. Scammers generally do not leave messages. I use all Mac products pc, iPad iPhone iPod and have not had any email or text problems to date after many years of use. I never open emails and messages without checking the source.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: a word to the wise ...    a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 2:59 pm

The only telemarketing calls I like are the ones that try to sell burial plots.

I tell them that my species will have taken over the earth long before I die and even we do we leave nothing behind.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: a word to the wise ...    a word to the wise ...  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

a word to the wise ...
Page 1 of 1