Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Quick question I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 12:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
Quick question I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Quick question I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Quick question I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Quick question I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Quick question I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Quick question I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Quick question I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Quick question I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Quick question I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Quick question

Go down 
+6
MikeO
gremlin
Meldrew
Winger61
Kenjj50
Crustycrutch
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Crustycrutch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2016-01-07

Quick question Empty
PostSubject: Quick question   Quick question I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 3:02 pm

Can any owner of a late UK spec bike tell me if they have a passing (flasher) switch on the left hand cluster please?
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2015-09-28

Quick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick question   Quick question I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 4:01 pm

I'm not from the UK. I was a recent visitor. I have no idea what a "passing flasher" is, but it sounds interesting. Can you explain it for someone stateside?
Back to top Go down
Crustycrutch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Quick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick question   Quick question I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 4:16 pm

No problem. A 'passing' switch is a spring loaded switch that allows the rider to quickly flash the main beam headlight. It is usually used (incorrectly) as an 'I have seen you' or 'go ahead' indicator. For example, if riding along and a vehicle coming in the opposite direction is indicating that they want to cross your lane, you can 'flash' them to allow them to cross. As I say, it is not strictly correct but it is commonly used in the UK.
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Quick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick question   Quick question I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 4:17 pm

Kenjj50 wrote:
I'm not from the UK.  I was a recent visitor.  I have no idea what a "passing flasher" is, but it sounds interesting.  Can you explain it for someone stateside?
Dirty old man on a skateboard?? Laughing

Crustycrutch wrote:
Can any owner of a late UK spec bike tell me if they have a passing (flasher) switch on the left hand cluster please?

I've got a switch that flashes the main beam on my '04, if that's what you mean. Don't know about newer models.
Back to top Go down
Crustycrutch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Quick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick question   Quick question I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 4:20 pm

Hi Winger, I just knew that the word 'flasher' would be picked up by someone - you win the prize :-)

Thanks for the info
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Quick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick question   Quick question I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 4:22 pm

Yes, I have one too on my ’10, I believe it's used to flash a friendly greeting to other bikers, I wouldn't know.
Back to top Go down
Crustycrutch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Quick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick question   Quick question I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 4:26 pm

A true Yorkshireman :-)
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Quick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick question   Quick question I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 4:39 pm

I'm Cumbrian.
Back to top Go down
Crustycrutch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Quick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick question   Quick question I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 4:42 pm

Part fish then :-)
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Quick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick question   Quick question I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 4:54 pm

My main (upper) running light is HID. I can manually flash the lower headlight, but I don't have many occasions where I would do that. The light switch on my 2002 turns on the lower head light and the running lights. I usually turn on both in low light conditions.
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

Quick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick question   Quick question I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 5:47 pm

I find the use of the term " main beam" and "running light" confusing. We simply call them like the manufacturers of cars and bikes " high beam" and " low beam". Many cars and most motorbikes drive with low beam on all the time to increase their visibility. High beam can only be used when there is no oncoming traffic at less than 200m distance in darkness or poor visibility. Most riders flash it to signal for passing or to warn of speed cameras /cop; both of which is illegal here in Oz.
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Quick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick question   Quick question I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 5:52 pm

Well using that terminology, my low beam is HID. It's brighter than my high beam but more diffuse.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Quick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick question   Quick question I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 5:15 am

The Highway Code, the guidelines for road-users in the UK (some of the guidelines are Law) says regarding flashing of headlights:    

Rule 110

Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

Rule 111

Never assume that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully.

Ignoring these two rules may not be illegal but can be used against someone who, by ignoring them, causes an accident. Smile

[Edited to make the last sentence make better sense]

Last edited by MikeO on Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Quick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick question   Quick question I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 9:13 am

This is fitted in Oz We flash the main beam to warn oncoming drivers that their high beam is "on" and blinding you.(legal), but it cannot be used to punish the oncoming errant driver by holding it on (illegal).
We also use it to warn oncoming vehicles of the nearby presence of a speed camera (highly Illegal), but we do it none the less.
Back to top Go down
DerrillW
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DerrillW

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-09-28

Quick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick question   Quick question I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 10:25 am

I wish those "safety" devices that constantly switch between high beam and low beam were illegal stateside. I suppose that those who use them would say that my attitude concerning them is proof positive of their value. I believe they exacerbate prejudice toward bikers. Just my opinion...
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Quick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick question   Quick question I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 7:30 pm

I'm a believer in headlight modulators. They don't alternate between high and low beam, they shift back and forth between 100% and 80% power. Legal in all US states and Canadian Provinces. They go a long way to prevent that common statement at motorcycle/car accidents, "I never saw him".

In the 70s a federal law was passed to mandate motorcycles keep their headlights on at all times. No off switch. At the time that worked pretty well, made bikes stand out from cars. Then they started putting daylight running lights on cars and bikes kinda disappeared in the traffic. The invention of modulated lights brought the attention back to bikes in traffic. The modulation stands out from all the other lights on the road. I know at least a couple times the modulator on my bike prevented a car from pulling out in front of me and once prevented an oncoming car from making a left turn across my path.

So if they irritate someone now and then, at least I know that person saw me. I'd rather irritate someone than be hit by them.
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

Quick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick question   Quick question I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 8:44 pm

exavid wrote:
I'm a believer in headlight modulators. They don't alternate between high and low beam, they shift back and forth between 100% and 80% power. Legal in all US states and Canadian Provinces. They go a long way to prevent that common statement at motorcycle/car accidents, "I never saw him".

This would not be legal in Oz, because the low and high beam spread their light differently.  The low beam spreads low and wide, so you can see a good wide section of the road ahead, but is designed not to throw too much light onto oncoming vehicles.  The high beam is designed to have a narrow and high spread to illuminate the distant section of the road, but they will blind oncoming traffic.  A modulator on the high beam would still tend to blind oncoming traffic.
Quick question 220px-11
Quick question 220px-13

Last edited by gremlin on Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2015-12-25

Quick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick question   Quick question I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 8:48 pm

another tactic that helps with that is the 'smidsy weave'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnIisFbd06o
Back to top Go down
DerrillW
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DerrillW

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-09-28

Quick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick question   Quick question I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 4:10 pm

exavid wrote:

In the 70s a federal law was passed to mandate motorcycles keep their headlights on at all times. No off switch. At the time that worked pretty well, made bikes stand out from cars. Then they started putting daylight running lights on cars and bikes kinda disappeared in the traffic. The invention of modulated lights brought the attention back to bikes in traffic. The modulation stands out from all the other lights on the road. I know at least a couple times the modulator on my bike prevented a car from pulling out in front of me and once prevented an oncoming car from making a left turn across my path.

So if they irritate someone now and then, at least I know that person saw me. I'd rather irritate someone than be hit by them.

Well... OK.  I stand corrected.  I said it was my opinion. Actually most of these systems can modulate either hi or lo beam (rider's choice?) from 20 - 40 % and 100% which gives the appearance of hi beam - lo beam shift. Still irritating and attention getting all at the same time. I have experienced occasions where oncoming drivers would pull over and stop when observing a modulated headlamp. In particular, I don't like being followed in a group ride by a bike with modulated headlamps. Very distracting. But, I have to agree that I also would rather irritate somebody than have them run over me.  A similar argument is used for loud (or non-existent) mufflers but I really do question the validity of that argument. (E.g. bumper sticker - "Loud Pipes Save Lives")

As a user of the modulating system, you are probably aware that there are some states that limit modulator usage to daylight hours. Not all modulator kits have included an ambient light level detector. It would not be much fun to attract L.E.O. attention as the sun sets.

Ride Safe - modulator on or off!!!  I can easily tolerate it... Most of the time Smile
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Quick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick question   Quick question I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 5:20 pm

To be legal a modulator in the US or Canada must have a sensor that shuts the modulation off at a predetermined ambient light level. Usually that's just as dusk begins. After than until the sun's up again the high beam will not modulate. In normal light a bike's headlight might be annoying but not blinding unless you have some HID system which won't work with most modulators anways. The modulation is properly done on the high beam only so one can quickly shut it off if needed by dipping the headlight beam.

I've used Kisan's path blazer modulator on several of my bikes, they have simple plug and play systems for most bikes and are reliable. You can adjust the ambient light modulation threshold without tools too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Quick question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick question   Quick question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quick question
Page 1 of 1