Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Hooking up a trailer  I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Hooking up a trailer  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Rear shock longevity
Hooking up a trailer  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Hooking up a trailer  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Hooking up a trailer  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Hooking up a trailer  I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Hooking up a trailer  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Hooking up a trailer  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Hooking up a trailer  I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Hooking up a trailer  I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hooking up a trailer

Go down 
+3
The Bern
gremlin
vader1701
7 posters
AuthorMessage
vader1701
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
vader1701

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2015-01-07

Hooking up a trailer  Empty
PostSubject: Hooking up a trailer    Hooking up a trailer  I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 10:40 pm

Has anyone ever put a hitch and associated stuff on the SW? How much would it pull?
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Hooking up a trailer    Hooking up a trailer  I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 11:50 pm

Hi, I have thought about it and looked through the plentiful information available in the archives on this forum. I did not go ahead because my insurance company advised me that it would not cover the scooter when equipped with a tow hitch, since The SW is not approved by the manufacturer for towing. I know that many riders do it anyway and the rules could be different in the US. I am sure in terms of pulling power a light trailer would not be a problem at all.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Hooking up a trailer    Hooking up a trailer  I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2015 5:58 am

Yep, look around the forums there are several your side of the pond, in fact Dennis B made one which he tried to market (no idea if it was a success though), his & the bulk of others were/are made to fit onto the swinging arm which makes it a quick & easy job to fabricate

Denray make one ... http://www.denray.ca/produits/produits-detail.php?cartId=20090901155133LaHXTd1ajnfENBX10367&prodId=3&categorie=attaches&prodShipCode=non

Do a site search ...... tow hitch ... should get 13 results
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Hooking up a trailer    Hooking up a trailer  I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2015 6:50 am

Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Hooking up a trailer  510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Hooking up a trailer    Hooking up a trailer  I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2015 8:02 am

No new ideas, but a lot of new technology.

The melding of the two makes for interesting winter projects and a lot of "computer riding". I am enjoying reading the newer members discovering all the "new" things they can do to their Silver Wings.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Hooking up a trailer    Hooking up a trailer  I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2015 9:42 am

I'm a great fan of trailers; I designed a couple for our dragsters, have towed cars, boats, caravans and all sorts but I have a question:

Cars and vans have tow hitches attached to the chassis/body. Therefore, the trailer-weight is fully-sprung.
Bike hitches such as Denis's are mounted directly on the transmission/rear axle area, thus adding unsprung weight to the wheel directly.

Is this a good idea?
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Hooking up a trailer    Hooking up a trailer  I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2015 10:51 am

The short answer to "Is this a good idea?" is no (it's a **** idea from an engineering point of view)

There are minimal fixings (& those that are used are not designed for the extra loads that can potentially be added by towing)
There is a large amount of torsional load one particular bolt that is way to small for it's new purpose
The frame is pulling on bearings what were designed for rotational loads
The motion of the wheel will have an inverse effect on the trailer, similarly the motion of the trailer wheels will on the scooter. I wonder what it would be like on the roundabout approach "rumble strips" we have ?

I've seen a picture somewhere of a hitch that someone made to fit onto existing points on the frame, not sure if it was this forum though, might go on a mission this evening
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Hooking up a trailer    Hooking up a trailer  I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2015 12:43 pm

I have about 75,000 miles experience pulling trailer with motorcycle. I say dangerous with Silverwing, probably dangerous with solo bike in real life
As no really good/strong frame to hitch to, brakes/drive line not made/stressed for additional load, SilverWing not good idea.

Two wheel trailer dangerous in my opinion being pulled by bike----drop a wheel off pavement and real thrill. My Kawasaki Concurs so bad with trailer, I pulled it about 20 miles and parked it. Kawasaki Voyager 1200 worked fine with trailer, with Honda CB750, strong homemade hitch pulled Kwik Camp to Alaska.....ok but you knew it was there, real caution required in mud, though.

Now for SilverWing, need trailer----Unigo one wheel,might work----no known hitch, but lots of money, maybe can be done-----cost of set up would far exceed value of now discontinued SilverWing.

Forces generated by trailer on bike really hard to imagine---but believe me they are there.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Hooking up a trailer    Hooking up a trailer  I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2015 2:24 pm

Uni-go?...Maybe Bandito will post a pic of his DIY single wheel trailer hooked up to his Reflex.

Tim
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Hooking up a trailer    Hooking up a trailer  I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2015 2:45 pm

Thanks, gents.

I'm fairly certain that there are pictures in an album here of the construction of a tow-hitch which was welded to the frame; all the rear panels had been stripped off.
I guess doing it that way would enable a similar system to be devised for a single-wheel trailer.

There's a company in Norfolk, UK who fabricate hitches that attach to the frame.
An X9 friend had one made a few years ago. He took the X9 up and they did it while he waited - he had to book into a hotel for an overnighter, of course, as they needed the time.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Hooking up a trailer    Hooking up a trailer  I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2015 4:21 pm

Mike, taking the added unsprung weight of the hitch further, in an unloaded trailer all the trailer wieght ahead of the axle would also become part of the rear wheels unsprung wieght.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hooking up a trailer    Hooking up a trailer  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hooking up a trailer
Page 1 of 1