Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Sun May 05, 2024 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler

Go down 
+3
john grinsel
hotwings
gremlin
7 posters
AuthorMessage
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler Empty
PostSubject: mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler   mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2015 5:44 pm

hi, just a query for those who have done it before. Just upgraded from a Burgman 400 to a 2007 silverwing and I want to mount a Givi top box on the rear spoiler. The Givi monokey box weighs about 5kg and has a capacity of 10kg. I have read in the mounting instructions, that the rear spoiler is only designed to take a load of 6kg; yet every silverwing has it's topcase mounted on it. Has anyone every had a problem structurally with mounting on the rear spoiler?
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler   mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2015 5:55 pm

Im not sure of the swings rear load capacity but i would think it's a lot more than 6kg! I have a Bestem topbox mounted and I've never encountered a problem. The stock rear rack seems heavy duty enough to stand on.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler   mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2015 8:07 pm

GIVI Monokey box can be bolted directly to rear spoiler, minus GIVI Rack at some weight saving-----weight carrying capacity is there-----BUT putting lots of weight above and behind rear axle=minus affect on handling, like an arrow with a rock tied on the tail......can make bike feel like it has a vertical hinge in the middle.

Take spoiler off, turn it over there are pre-marked holes.

I find the box handy but not a handling upgrade---My E46 Givi has over a half a million miles and still is serviceable---Dog likes it.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler   mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 12:22 am

I have a Givi V46 Monokey top box on the Silverwing that I'm selling and I'm leaving it on for the next owner. On the two Silverwings I plan on keeping I put the largest and cheapest top boxes I could find and I'm very happy with them. I did put a 1/8" aluminum plate under the mounting plate that came with the top boxes because the larger boxes hang out a lot farther back than the Givi V46 did. I'm sure there'll be people that say anything less than a Givi is a waste of money and I used to think that too. But these boxes changed my mind. With the 1/8" aluminum plate under the mounting plate they are more solid than the Givi on the Silverwing that I'm selling.
I guess to answer your question "Has anyone ever had a problem structurally with mounting on the rear spoiler?" I can't speak for everyone, but I can put a week's groceries in my very big top boxes without any problems. I also put 25 pound bags of bird seed in them. I definitely feel the difference when they are overloaded like that but it's just over five miles from the store to my home. I don't think I would put that much in them if I was going on a long trip.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler   mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 8:54 am

Agree on boxes----cheap stuff bolted on, maybe internal plate added to bottom---Rubbermade, etc., works---I am not interested in how bike looks, but works---Old fart on scooter can look bad enough---add white tennis shoes=even worse!!

Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler   mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 10:49 pm

My mount is custom.  I used some 1" aluminum channel and angle stock I had leftover from another project.  I chose the JC Whitney XL box (33L)mainly because I am thrifty Wink   It remains in service after 5 years in all kinds of weather (never a leak).  It also serves as a platform for my additional lights, strobes and flag mounts.

Overkill...most definitely!

mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler Components-rs_zpsjb37nyfp

This platform is sturdy enough to carry a small sofa.  Laughing
mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler Trunk%20mounting%20plate-rs_zps0stvjjzn

The wide red reflector conceals two led light strips full width.  One is on constantly as a rear marker and both light up and pulse for brake lights.
mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler Finished-rs_zpshjbqkbgc
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

PostSubject: Re: mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler   mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 12:26 am

Thanks for the good tips and i admire some of the innovative ideas. I ended up ordering a huge 55 liter Givi Box and the original monokey mount from Germany. ( I am not as good as some of you guys in fabricating) Typical for Australian Retail prices it was much cheaper inclusive freight than buying local.
After looking at the various comments about lighting kits for  top cases I have decided to put my own " LED stop light only" into the case.  I usually don't ride at night and my main concern is a car running into my rear end. I believe the tail lights on the Silverwing are a bit too low and hard to see. After all, most cars have a set of stop lights further up now too.
Now that I have the big top case, I have abandoned the idea of a lightweight trailer even though I have seen some interesting combinations on the net. I might yet come back to it; but for shopping and short trips the big box will serve my needs and I can take it off in 2 seconds.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler   mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 4:20 am

I've been using the Givi E55 Maxia Tech for over 4 years now and I'd describe it's size as useful rather than huge. Placed alongside my Givi E52 it doesn't look that much larger but I prefer it for everyday and touring use. I also like the smoked reflectors of the E55 Maxia Tech match the rear smoked indicators of the Silver Wing and together they look really coordinated.

I also thought about adding a lighting kit when I first bought it, but it was nothing more than a temporary bout of OMF Syndrome. I bought the Givi as a convenient secure storage box not to light it up to look like a mobile knocking shop!   Smile  The Silver Wing already has a big red twin bulb rear light over 9" long which is a lot bigger than most motorcycles are showing.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler   mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 7:17 am

GIVI also has a brand new 56 litre box that will become available in the next 60 days.
http://www.giviusa.com/givi-products/cases/monokey-cases/v56nn-56-liter-top-case-maxia-4-detail

1 liter difference I don't understand, but I do like the nice new look.
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

PostSubject: Re: mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler   mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 7:28 am

dspevack wrote:
GIVI also has a brand new 56 litre box that will become available in the next 60 days.
http://www.giviusa.com/givi-products/cases/monokey-cases/v56nn-56-liter-top-case-maxia-4-detail

Thanks for the tip; I got the Maxia 3 in silver for half the price of the new 56 liter box. That is a lot of dough for an extra liter of space Wink
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler   mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 7:51 am

dspevack wrote:

It's not Givi's largest top box though, the Adventure Bike styled alloy Trekker Outback has a 58 litres capacity.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler   mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 9:07 pm

dspevack wrote:

That is a nice looking topbox but as with anything Givi it is way overpriced.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler   mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 4:46 am

hotwings wrote:
That is a nice looking topbox but as with anything Givi it is way overpriced.

Hi Kev, I chose a random UK Honda motorcycle dealers website after reading your post and the standard Honda 46 litre topbox seen on a lot of Silver Wings would cost £276.77, that's $510.88 CAD.

I already have one, but a bit of research showed if I wanted a Givi E55 Maxia today, I could buy one on Amazon for £162.00 or $299.03 CAD.

If I was after the new Givi 56 litre Maxi 4 top box I could order one in the UK for £230.88, that's $426.18 CAD. Or order one from Germany where they cost €309.00 or £220.95 or $407.85 CAD.

So it's the piddling 47 litre Honda top box that is overpriced, and it's not even large enough to be practical. A big plus for buying on investing in a Givi top box is their full spares back up. There's replacement lock and key sets, lids, reflectors, back rests, liners, inner bags, etc.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler   mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 6:18 am

Don't forget Mel that if you actually want to mount and use the Givi it will be an extra $80-$100 for a mounting kit. If you want a backrest for the missus, that will set you back another $50-$80. Want a brakelight kit, wow another $50-$80. I'll stick with my Bestem- looks like it came from the Honda factory on the bike and at $150 with all Givi's options included. No brainer. Quality- the Bestems been on the bike for 2 years now and still functions and looks as new!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler   mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

mounting top box on silverwing rear spoiler
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Introductions-
Jump to: