Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 2:50 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Gerbing power port

Go down 
+7
bikerboy
Dale N.
Meldrew
hotwings
model28a
Old Limey
bluboy4
11 posters
AuthorMessage
bluboy4
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2014-05-16

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 10:23 am

I just bought my first heated gear; a pair of Gerbing gloves and a Gerbing heated jacket. I also bought a Gerbing power port. Can I easily install the port into the black tupperware on the left side below the seat?
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 12:43 pm

I don't know about the Gerbing connection but, my Keis heated jacket came with a lead to connect straight to the battery. I cut a little section out for the cable to pass under the seat(in the under seat space) and it leaves the cable on my left side ready to plug in. Smile
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 7:07 pm

I've noticed that every Silverwing I've looked under the seat of, has a spot on the right front of the lip that looks like someone broke about an inch and a half off the lip. That's where I run the lead to to the battery if I need to shut the seat.
I'd be interested to know if everyone elses Silverwing has that spot on the lip. Question
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 7:16 pm

welcome
bluboy4 I'm sorry I overlooked welcoming you. It would be nice if you went Here and introduced yourself. Then you'd get a proper welcome from the forum members.
Here are some links(3 below in blue)that will help you learn a lot about your Silverwing. If you can't find what you need in the links below the search on this forum works good, and if you still need help just ask and someone will do what they can to answer your questions.

Maintenance, Tips and Hints
Maintenance "Pictorials"
Accessories-Modifications
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2015 4:44 am

I'd be interested to know if everyone elses Silverwing has that spot on the lip. Question [/quote]

Roger my curiosity makes me want to check but the swing is sleeping under its winter blanket next to its covered sibling in the garage Smile .
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2015 7:32 am

I've just been out sorting out some stuff under the seat of my Silver Wing , yes that spot on the right hand side of the lip is there. I can't say I've ever noticed it before.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2015 12:28 pm

Oh Sure, I had to run out and check mine just now too. And it's there! If I'd have seen it before I wouldn't have had to use my Dremel to make one on the left side for my GPS USB cable. But, in my defense, the one I made is just big enough for the cable to fit so it's not like I lost 5 Lbs of tupperware in the process. And, it works too, my slot that is...

OK. OK. Also in my defense I'm left handed so I didn't look for any right handed access points. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2015 6:05 pm

The only way I noticed was when I was looking over the parts list of things the insurance said they were paying for. I thought that the seat tub was damaged until I looked at a few other SilverWings and they were the same.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Gerbing Power Port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 4:08 am

I installed a Powerlet compact socket in the black trim below the seat.  It had to go near to the front as there is not very much space behind the trim, check the dimensions carefully before you drill !  I connected mine direct to the battery via a fuse and then used it to plug in my Optimate.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 5:11 am

I take it this Powerlet socket isn't installed on a Silver Wing because my Optimate plugs straight into the 12v socket inside the left glovebox pocket. Alternatively the other set of Optimate leads fitted with a fuse connects easily to the battery also on the left, the seat closes easily and the weather sealed plug exits very handily near the grab rail and can be tucked away out of view.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 6:56 am

My power outlet was complete with a 5 ft lead ,and a short ( stubby )connection that comes out of the battery box .The 5 ft plug wire was just long enough for the socket to fit in the left glove box with the wires tucked under the tupperware for a clean fit.the power cord assembly cost $20.00 .
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Gerbing power port    Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 8:25 am

Yes it was on a SilverWing, I used it to plug in my heated waistcoat, a bit tricky using the one in the glove box for that !
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 10:53 pm

On my second SW I wired a coaxial (Gerbings type connector) female socket directly to the battery with a fuse at the battery end of the cable in a hole I drilled in the left side of the handlebar cover. The dual controller for my jacket liner and gloves was clipped on an aluminum bracket that I mounted with a couple of spacers and two longer bolts replacing the two bolts on the rear brake perch. I shortened the power cable on the controller to about six inches to neaten up the wiring and ran a the two output cables between the controller and my jacket liner after taping them together to make a single cable out of the pair.
The installation worked excellently, the two knobs on the controller were right by the rear brake reservoir within easy reach. The two flashing lights could be seen easily which helped set the heating level wanted. The controller was easy to connect and disconnect with the single plug and could easily be mounted or dismounted for storage. In fall and winter I usually carried my jacket liner and gloves along with the controller in a small nylon stuff bag under the seat.
I've got my heated gear installation pretty much the same on my current C650GT. Had a need for it several times this winter so far.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2015 12:12 am

Found another use today for the coaxial socket on my GT's handlebar cover. I put a matching coaxial plug on the $20 battery tender from Harbor Freight so now I can just plug the tender/charger in.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2015 2:56 am

I and others I've talked to have had that $20 battery tender from Harbor Freight fry their batteries. You can find good name brand battery maintainers from $20 on sale and up.
Here's one on sale for $19.95 that is much safer than the H.F.one.
Battery Tender $19.95
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2015 10:15 pm

I've had several of the cheapos from harbor freight, less than $5 when on sale. In my old shop I had a rack with three or four Goldwing batteries on tenders most of the time. I did have one tender fail but it just quit working, no damage to the battery. Maybe just lucky.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2015 6:08 am

Oh dear! I have a Battery Tender on one bike and the cheapo Harbour Freight on the other bike. Great now I gotta worry about that.... Neutral .
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2015 6:17 pm

I put a new battery in a car that I drove for less than a month and decided to sell it. So I bought one of the cheapest float chargers Harbour Freight had.(link below) Someone came to test drive the car two weeks after I put the HF float charger on and the battery was dead and would not take a charge with my good Craftsman charger. I did get a free replacement battery because it was less than two months old. I through the HF charger away and bought a Battery Tender like the one in the link in my post above. I now have three different name brand float chargers I've paid $19.95-$29.95 for and haven't had any problems with them.              
Harbour Freight Automatic Battery Float Charger
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2015 7:45 pm

Roger, after reading thru a bunch of reviews on the HF battery maintainer (not charger) on the link you posted it seems you are the only one in the negative!
Back to top Go down
Microtouch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2012-08-24

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2015 9:06 pm

model28a wrote:
I've noticed that every Silverwing I've looked under the seat of, has a spot on the right front of the lip that looks like someone broke about an inch and a half off the lip. That's where I run the lead to to the battery if I need to shut the seat.
I'd be interested to know if everyone elses Silverwing has that spot on the lip. Question

Ditto...
Back to top Go down
http://brunnerorgans.com
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2015 9:22 pm

Bluboy4, my husband put a Powelet port in the same spot you are speaking of. It is doable, a bit tight. We have it connected to the fuse box we have under the seat on the back of the panel on the left side near the underseat light.

I have the same Gerbings gloves and jacket with the dual controller. Works well.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2015 1:46 am

hotwings if you look only 56% of respondents would recommend the HF charger to a friend. Also if you set the reviews to sort by lowest rating you will find pages of reviews with only one star.

I own no stock in any companies that manufacture battery maintainers, or in the batteries that are in other peoples vehicles, so everyone can use whatever brand they feel comfortable using and it matters not to me.

I feel comfortable using Yuasa, Battery Tender Jr,  DuraBoost and MegaBoost(will charge 6 or 12 volts)(sold at Cycle Gear) and Craftsman(will charge 6 or 12 volts)(made by Schumacher with Craftsman label). I have all of this and the only brand I've had go bad was the Craftsman,(did not ruin the battery just quit charging) so that would be at the bottom of my list.

The reason I bought the MegaBoost and the Craftsman was because my Model T and my Model A both have 6 volt batteries.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2015 11:27 am

For what it's worth, I use the Battery Tender Jr. on my SWing. I put it on about once a month and let it charge the battery until the green light comes on then take it off. My SWing sits in my attached and heated garage so it's convenient for me to just run out there and put it on and take it off. I attached the one end permanently to the battery and just plug the charger in when I want to charge it. I took the bulb out of the under seat light because it's pretty much useless, in my opinion, and have a small CREE flashlight in the "glove compartment" for when it's dark. Here's the link for the flashlight if anyone wants it: http://tinyurl.com/n3978oc
These little lights run on one AA battery and will surprise you with their brightness. It also has a zoom feature for wide to narrow angle light. I've ordered about 15, or more, all toll and have given some to relatives and friends. And I still have several of my own which I carry in all my vehicles and have around the house.
One other thing is that they come from China so shipping time is a few weeks. But what the heck.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2015 1:39 pm

Dale why would you bother unplugging the battery tender. Early last season i could sense my swings battery getting weak, after sitting for a week or so i could tell the battery wasnt at full power when starting. I now leave it plugged in to the battery tender junior year round. No issues. A new battery is on the list for this seasons items.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2015 1:48 pm

Hi hotwings,

Well for one reason I don't want the cord running all the way across the floor. I'm OLD and trip a lot. LOL

Also I figure that once it's charged and I have a green light I don't have to worry about it. And if I do this once a month or so it will charge up overnight while I'm sleeping. Then when I get up the next day I unplug it and put the charger away and it's not using electricity, which probably isn't very much to begin with, but it's out of my way.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2015 2:19 pm

Dale ,Might be easer to slide your SW closer to the wall plug.LOL . At our age we tend to all slip a lot . I have a old 2 amp trickle charger with no dial lights or shut off switch,that I keep connected to the battery,that gets warm when charging then cools down when battery is charged while still plugged in.The 3 prong plug sticks out of the 3" square charger , No extension cord ,just a 10 " cord with alagator clamps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gerbing power port Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerbing power port   Gerbing power port I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gerbing power port
Page 1 of 1