Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Power Plug I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Power Plug I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Power Plug I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Power Plug I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Power Plug I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Power Plug I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Power Plug I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Power Plug I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Power Plug I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
Power Plug I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Power Plug

Go down 
+4
hotwings
Cosmic_Jumper
model28a
Chris Olson
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2014-06-22

Power Plug Empty
PostSubject: Power Plug   Power Plug I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2014 1:40 pm

There's a place in the left glove box for a power plug and I think the later Silver Wings might even have one in there. I'd like to put one in and don't have a service manual here with wiring diagram (something I have to get).

Was wondering if the bike is wired for it in the harness already? Or do I have to run my own wiring back to the battery with a fuse on it?
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Power Plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Plug   Power Plug I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2014 5:05 pm

This information has been posted here before. You can try and search in Accessories & Modifications. If I get some free time latter I might search and see if I can find it.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Power Plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Plug   Power Plug I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2014 6:09 pm

Chris Olson wrote:
There's a place in the left glove box for a power plug and I think the later Silver Wings might even have one in there.  I'd like to put one in and don't have a service manual here with wiring diagram (something I have to get).<>

Assuming that you might want to use a power plug outlet for charging the battery sometime then you'll need to run a hot wire and fuse direct to the battery. If you want that outlet to be on a (key) switched circuit then you'll need to run the circuit thru a dedicated, switched, relay.

In either case you'll need to wire it up yourself as there are no power outlet provisions on North American spec Silverwing wire harnesses.
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Power Plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Plug   Power Plug I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2014 6:14 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
In either case you'll need to wire it up yourself as there are no power outlet provisions on North American spec Silverwing wire harnesses.

Ah, OK. Thanks! I suppose it would be a handy place to plug in a battery maintainer in the winter. So I'll go the route direct to the battery with it.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Power Plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Plug   Power Plug I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2014 6:35 pm

Chris here is a link to 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware
It will help a lot if you want to do it the the way he did it.
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Power Plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Plug   Power Plug I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2014 11:30 pm

model28a wrote:
Chris here is a link to 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware
It will help a lot if you want to do it the the way he did it.

I was sort of wondering about that. And I did do a search too, but I probably didn't use the right key words to find that one. That's pretty cool and I like that shortcut. I never checked the diameter of the hole to see if a regular automotive power plug would fit in there. But using that Goldwing one makes sense. So that was a good read. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Power Plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Plug   Power Plug I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 12:37 am

I had the advantage of knowing the post existed and knew the post had "Install without removing Tupperware" in the title. After you have been here over four plus years you will have seen people linking to interesting posts so when someone asks a question you will remember where to start looking too. In fact if someone wants to know about installing a power plug I'll bet you will tell them about that same link.
What I have done for power is, 1- I installed a pigtail for a Battery Tender that has a SAE connector under the seat. Then I found a cigarette lighter port (at Harbor Freight) with an SAE plug. I use to charge my G-4 intercom when I stop for lunch or a break.
2- for my GPS I bought this To put on the mount that I bought from Dennis.
Here is a link to find hard wires and mounts for your needs .
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Power Plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Plug   Power Plug I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 1:39 am

Cool, thanks for all those! Just curious (should probably search for this too) what you and other folks use for GPS mounts? I saw one someplace on here where the GPS was mounted on the handlebar in the middle, right under the instrument panel. I liked that one. I've also seen them mounted like on the left handlebar and don't think I'd like that as well.

Primarly what I wanted the power plug for right now is to keep my cell phone charged up. When we rode around Lake Superior over the 4th weekend, my cell phone went dead. Didn't use it, but after three days couldn't use it anyway because the battery ran out. We camped (tented) and I could've plugged in it on one of the power posts at the campground - except both me and my wife forgot our wall chargers at home too. We were going to stop someplace and buy one, then thought to heck with it. Next time we'll be smarter and have power plugs on the bikes to keep them charged up so if we need the phone we can use it.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Power Plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Plug   Power Plug I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 6:49 am

With the GPS mounted in the middle of the handlebars it has the potential to block the visual to the warning indicators in the dash. Thats why i opted for the Ram mount on the left brake reservoir for my Garmin GPS. Happy with it there. Also i modified an Otterbox iphone belt clip to fit the Ram ball mount. Now i can easily swap out the gps for the iphone to charge, see who's calling, change songs, see maps, etc.
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Power Plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Plug   Power Plug I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 1:37 pm

OK, I figured out how to find what I was looking for in a search and this is the one saw before:
https://www.silverwing600.com/t2839-gps-mount-for-honda-silverwing-and-reflex?highlight=gps+mount#25539

I like that mount, and for me not being able to see those lights is not really a big deal because I don't look at them anyway most days. And blocking that BRIGHT blue high beam indicator light at night would be a plus, although I'm sure it will still provide a very pretty blue glow on the bottom of the GPS  Shocked 
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Power Plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Plug   Power Plug I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 2:00 pm

When I installed my power plug in the left storage bin, I used the factory knockout and a GoldWing socket. I ran constant power, fused, direct from the battery. I did it when I had all the front tupperware off already when I installed my progressive front springs. My reasoning for direct hot power was so that I could easily connect my trickle charger to the Swing without having to access the battery.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Power Plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Plug   Power Plug I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 6:03 pm

Chris the one you linked is the one that I use and I have no problem seeing over it to see the dash. I like the fact that it is right where I look for speed, gas gauge etc. I don't like things above my handlebars, I wouldn't mind if my scooter had body mounted mirrors like the Burgman 650.
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Power Plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Plug   Power Plug I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 7:12 pm

Well, I got my power plug in. I used an automotive one that I found and it fits in the hole without hogging the hole out at all. The biggest problem was getting the ka-dongus screwed on the back of it - couldn't get my hand in there thru that hole above the headlight after taking the windscreen garnish off. But my wife could and she managed to accomplish that feat.

The one thread about getting the wiring thru without taking the bodywork off was very helpful. I put the wires in that flexible automotive conduit full length of the power harness.

I put a fused connector to the battery and the fuse is easy to get at:

Power Plug 100_4433

The fused connector had one of these two-prong plugs on it so I wired into that and packed the terminals in there with dielectric grease:

Power Plug 100_4434

The power plug has a rubber cap over it for when it's not in use and it lights up my USB thing so I think it works.

Power Plug 100_4435

Power Plug 100_4436
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

Power Plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Plug   Power Plug I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 3:06 am

model28a wrote:
I wouldn't mind if my scooter had body mounted mirrors like the Burgman 650.

Oh how I agree with that.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Power Plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Plug   Power Plug I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 7:43 am

model28a wrote:
I wouldn't mind if my scooter had body mounted mirrors like the Burgman 650.

I don't know what the latest model 650 Burgman mirrors are like but the body mounted mirrors on my 2008 Burgman really bugged me.  At night time they'd catch the headlight beams of the car behind me which was both dazzling and distracting, and unlike the driving mirror inside a car you can't dip the mirror the alleviate the problem, only press the button to wind them in.

Then in heavy rain, water droplets from the body mounted mirrors would drip down into the foot well of the Burgman onto my boots. Over a period of time water would find it's way into the front of my boots. I mainly wear Hi Tech Magnums for riding and have done for nearly as long as I've been maxi riding. Damp boots has never been a problem on any other scooter before or since the 650 Burgman, and it didn't happen with the body mounted mirrors on my Helix.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Power Plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Plug   Power Plug I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 4:11 pm

Meldrew you may be right about the 650 mirrors I've never had one. I only mentioned the Burgman 650 as it is still in production. I probably should have said Helix as that is really what I have ridden, and truly was mentally using for comparison.
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Power Plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Plug   Power Plug I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 4:42 pm

Meldrew wrote:
At night time they'd catch the headlight beams of the car behind me

Clearly not riding fast enough!  Evil or Very Mad 
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Power Plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Plug   Power Plug I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 6:14 pm

...and you've clearly never ridden one at night on unlit country roads saying that. Then there's the over cluttered left handlebar on the 650 Burgman where in the dark it's all too easy to accidentally press the Power switch by mistake, everyone's done that at least once or twice until they learn it's not a good idea.
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Power Plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Plug   Power Plug I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 6:23 pm

Meldrew wrote:
...and you've clearly never ridden one at night on unlit country roads saying that.

What the hell do you know about my riding history, you miserable sod? Get a sense of humour. Why must you always knock anything I say. You clearly have a chip on your shoulder about something. Come on; out with it.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Power Plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Plug   Power Plug I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 6:46 pm

I haven't got a sense of humour that's why I chose Meldrew as a forum name. You're right I don't know anything about your riding history, that's because you've never posted about going anywhere or doing anything.

I think you need reminding the golden rule on forums is "Attack the post, not the poster".  So calling me a miserable sod isn't really setting a good example to everyone especially as you're a Moderator. I haven't been abusive to you have I?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Power Plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Plug   Power Plug I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 4:23 am

Meldrew, you are trolling again.

It's unacceptable so to do.

You will desist - no argument.

I'm tired of it.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Power Plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Plug   Power Plug I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Power Plug
Page 1 of 1