Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Handguards: anyone?

Go down 
+11
LN
lalee
Dramhunter
woodworker
BONN
dspevack
mick
MikeO
"Hi Yo"
ScottO
cotetoi
15 posters
AuthorMessage
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Handguards: anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Handguards: anyone?   Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2013 6:20 pm

I am just wondering if anyone here has used handguards on their Swing. I am finding that the cold wind is freezing my hands very quickly into a ride. I am thinking that a pair handguards on the Swing would greatly improve the comfort.
If you have, I would like to know the source so I can get mine. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
ScottO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ScottO

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Handguards: anyone?   Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2013 8:18 pm

I ran across this instrucable, http://www.instructables.com/id/Motorcycle-Hand-Wind-Deflectors-version-21/ when I did a search for these. It looks intreging. I think I'll ad it to my to do list. There's this second instrucable, http://www.instructables.com/id/Motorcycle-hand-deflectors/ which has a better way to get the curve.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Handguards: anyone? 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Handguards: anyone?   Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2013 8:30 pm

Cotetoi, it would have been easier to type "handguards" into the search function and reading the threads posted there. Then you would be better prepared if you have further questions. Of course, some may enjoy deadhorse.   Laughing 
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Handguards: anyone?   Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2013 8:55 pm

"Hi Yo", I goota stop beating that dead horse. I should have done the search before posting, but you know how it is: light goes, get blinded, run into the wall, run straight into the computer chair, and spew out your idea before you wake up.
Thanks, I'm awake and fully oriented. On to the search for ? oh, handguard postings.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Handguards: anyone?   Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 12:30 pm

I adapted a pair for my Silverwing in Belgium but they'd not be suitable on the UK as they touch the windscreen on full lock.
I have Givi Universal Handlebar Muffs; now I've sorted out the problem of them pushing on the brake levers at speed and flashing the brake-lights I wouldn't bother with anything else.
They really are very good.

A source picked at random via Google:

http://www.ghostbikes.com/products/accessories-essentials/8423-givi-motorcycle-bar-muffs-(tm418).html
Back to top Go down
mick
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mick

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2011-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Handguards: anyone?   Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 1:13 pm

i did a search on here a while ago and got a set of barkbusters storm s7
fitted on my SW

only been out it the once since fitted it but does make a huge difference from wind chill on my hands

got a aftermarket screen fitted had to reshape the spine of the barkbuster mount slightly to clear the screen from lock to lock

the bar ends on the SW are m6 but the bolts that come with the barkbusters are m8
so i drilled and retapped them out to m8
as got TIMESERTS on the original bolts of the bar ends to take them back down to m6 thread size if i ever put it back to original

http://www.barkbusters.net/products/storm.html
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Handguards: anyone?   Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 1:15 pm

The ones you've linked to, and other similar guards all suffer from the same problem, in that they can only be used with a stock width windshield.
Going with any of the aftermarket windshields (GIVI, Clearview) where they do not have the notch in each side, will stop the steering from turning lock to lock if you add the guards.

For dry weather most gloves (summer or winter) should be fine. For wet weather, keep a pair of extra large rubber gloves (the thick kind you do inside cleaning with) in the boot.
Put them on over the regular gloves in wet weather. Takes off the chill factor and the dampness/rain.

Dan
Back to top Go down
BONN
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-12-17

PostSubject: Handguards: Isotta PM18 Handguards   Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 3:21 pm

Hi, just joined the forum. I bought my Isotta PM18 (Hand protector full attack for SILVER WING SW-T 400 (09')Code: is_PM180) Handguards from Euro bike net last year, they are designed for the Silverwing SW-T 400,but fit my 2010 600 fine, they are really easy to fit and come in 2 colours, they cost about £44.00, downside carriage from Europe was £25.00, over half the price of the handguards, one other downside is that, it does reduce the turning circle slightly at max over. More than happy with the product.
Back to top Go down
woodworker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2013-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Handguards: anyone?   Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 2:01 pm

Got handguards for my scoot ,Honda ones maybe adaptable for the swing from the sh range of scoots. study 
Back to top Go down
Dramhunter
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Dramhunter

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2012-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Handguards: anyone?   Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2014 8:39 am

I adapted a pair of Oxford "universal" muffs to the Swing. They fit fairly well as standard, really just needed a hole made to accommodate mirror stalks. Kept my hands really comfy but, at high speed, the wind pressure sometimes tended to push the body of the muff back against a brake lever and kept the brake light illuminated. You know how sensitive the switches are on the brake levers. Also, I found that they were a wee bit restrictive when it came to moving my left thumb onto indicator switch, horn button and for using the high beam switch. I considered hard hand guards but reckoned they would interfere with steering lock.
Back to top Go down
http://northlight.artistwebsites.com/index.html
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2013-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Handguards: anyone?   Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2014 2:59 pm

I love my muffs for the Silverwing for in town riding while doing errands.  Putting on gloves and removing them all the time is not a major hassle but to just slide my hands into my muffs and take off is a good thing.  I always put mine on in the spring and fall.  It is a compromise for sure, but it sure in convenient.  I also carry a thin pair of leather gloves with me, so if I am going to do any sustained riding at high speeds, I will just put those gloves on and that takes care of that problem.

Handguards: anyone? 2Q==
Back to top Go down
LN
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2012-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Handguards: anyone?   Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2014 8:11 pm

1. one leather or whatever bag with 2 zippers on the same zip thingy
2. 90 degree 4inch aluminum corners from your hardware store
3. velcro lines

1. cut bag in half
2. put corners inside half/bag
3. unscrew the handlebar weight screw
4. arrange it properly, and make hole to fit screw back in
5. add velcro straps to complete full lockout
6. depends on material you may want to use rain seal spray thing

ps. eventually the sun will discolor. Take another trip to your local Goodwill store and buy another $2 leather bag and do it all over again.

It's fun
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2013-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Handguards: anyone?   Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2014 8:24 pm

LN wrote:
1. one leather or whatever bag with 2 zippers on the same zip thingy
2. 90 degree 4inch aluminum corners from your hardware store
3. velcro lines

1. cut bag in half
2. put corners inside half/bag
3. unscrew the handlebar weight screw
4. arrange it properly, and make hole to fit screw back in
5. add velcro straps to complete full lockout
6. depends on material you may want to use rain seal spray thing

ps. eventually the sun will discolor. Take another trip to your local Goodwill store and buy another $2 leather bag and do it all over again.

It's fun

This sounds a little like big guns rear rack!  But you got me interested.... If you are actually using this mod, I would be interested in seeing a picture or two.

Handguards: anyone? Postpics
Back to top Go down
jerikostar
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jerikostar

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2015-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Handguards: anyone?   Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 7:11 am

J have mounted Isotta and Rizoma knobs.

https://picasaweb.google.com/109749645337983583810/RizomaIsotta?authkey=Gv1sRgCLCz0s2o49jHZQ
Back to top Go down
Dramhunter
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Dramhunter

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2012-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Handguards: anyone?   Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2015 4:37 am

My solution was finally to fit a GIVI Airflow screen. Job done and very well too.
Back to top Go down
http://northlight.artistwebsites.com/index.html
jerikostar
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jerikostar

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2015-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Handguards: anyone?   Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2015 6:08 am

Dramhunter wrote:
My solution was finally to fit a GIVI Airflow screen. Job done and very well too.

As I wrote in a post dedicated, too much vibration, too much 'air from back
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Handguards: anyone?   Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2015 6:42 am

jerikostar wrote:
Dramhunter wrote:

As I wrote in a post dedicated, too much vibration, too much 'air from back

You're in the minority then, changing that awful Honda screen to a Givi Airflow is the first mod most new owners make and they're happy with the results. You don't really need hand guards with the Airflow as the side wings are quite impressive at deflecting rain from your gloved hands at high speeds.

The OE Honda screen offers no hand coverage at all so Isotta hand guards are a good choice as they allow the steering to go on full lock. They wouldn't work so well with the Airflow as they'd hit the side wings on full lock.

I've got a set of new Barkbusters hand guards in my garage which I was going to fit last summer and work well with my Airflow. But I have other choices like 1+3 finger, or 2+2 finger lobster claw rain gloves, and a pair of neoprene lobster claw over mitts that fit perfectly over my lobster claw winter gloves.

Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Handguards: anyone?   Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2015 6:59 am

I've got a set of new Barkbusters hand guards in my garage which I was going to fit last summer and work well with my Airflow. But I have other choices like 1+3 finger, or 2+2 finger lobster claw rain gloves, and a pair of neoprene lobster claw over mitts that fit perfectly over my lobster claw winter gloves.cheers

No mitts but a thin pair of cotton gloves with a pair of larger long length Playtex gloves over them make a great back up wet / cold combination, used more than once and carried extras for those that needed them.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Handguards: anyone?   Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2016 2:00 am

This thread on the Singapore website has details on how to do handguards:

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php/325894-lt-Info-gt-Silverwing-400cc-600cc-Tech-Corner?p=7529595&viewfull=1#post7529595
Back to top Go down
cornishtrailsloth
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2016-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Handguards: anyone?   Handguards: anyone? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2016 4:01 pm

thanks for that link dspevack - a mine of information.
Back to top Go down

Handguards: anyone?
Page 1 of 1