Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 2:50 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Adjustable Hand Brake Levers

Go down 
+14
pancho
Dimond
250sgp
Darkeswinger
Meldrew
Fazli
DennisB
jdeereanton
exavid
dspevack
MaxB
joncallihan
KurtPerthWA
Bernardo
18 posters
AuthorMessage

Adjustable Hand Brake Levers Empty
PostSubject: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 5:58 am

Does anyone know where to get adjustable hand brakes? My husband's BMW has them, and I'd love to put them on my S'wing.

Mandy
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 6:46 am

Emeskay wrote:
Does anyone know where to get adjustable hand brakes? My husband's BMW has them, and I'd love to put them on my S'wing.

Mandy

Mandy, I'm not sure I follow you Question The S'wing already has an adjustable handbrake! The lever is located on the right hand side of the fairing, underneath the wee glove box compartment thingy, and works similar to a car one..... Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 7:17 am

Bernardo wrote:
Mandy, I'm not sure I follow you Question The S'wing already has an adjustable handbrake! The lever is located on the right hand side of the fairing, underneath the wee glove box compartment thingy, and works similar to a car one..... Smile

I used the wrong term. I meant the brake levers on the handlebars. I've noticed that both the Bergman and the Kymco 500 have these. Does anyone know if they can be retrofitted to the S'wing, if levers aren't available? bounce
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 7:43 am

1 Check the handlebar diameter from the donor brand to the Honda
2 Check the flow rates between the two, if the donor brand runs 2 discs it "may" have a slightly higher flow needing a shorter throw on the lever for the same effect. It may also provide interesting results with the delayed rear front split on the left brake lever setup. Interesting concept and would like to know if anyone has done this.

on the flip side, has anone converted the "rear" brake setup to operate the rear brake only. Dragging the rear brake on a downhill or on gravel/loose surface or both without the front brake cutting in would be a definite advantage. Maybe even a selectable system ( R + F, or R) could be set up. Hydraulics anyone??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 8:04 am

KurtPerthWA wrote:
1 Check the handlebar diameter from the donor brand to the Honda
2 Check the flow rates between the two, if the donor brand runs 2 discs it "may" have a slightly higher flow needing a shorter throw on the lever for the same effect. It may also provide interesting results with the delayed rear front split on the left brake lever setup. Interesting concept and would like to know if anyone has done this.

on the flip side, has anone converted the "rear" brake setup to operate the rear brake only. Dragging the rear brake on a downhill or on gravel/loose surface or both without the front brake cutting in would be a definite advantage. Maybe even a selectable system ( R + F, or R) could be set up. Hydraulics anyone??

I think I need your explanation in smaller words, for the feeble minded. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 11:13 am

Hey Mandy,

If you get to that point just take it to a good dealer and ask them to put new ones on!!!

That's what I usually do. I go to an independant dealer who specializes in souping up bikes..... He always finds a way to sort out any problems I have and without all the usual honda dealership bull**** and surcharges.... Not that I'm saying all Honda dealers are bad, but in my experience they can be a bit condescending and keen to get your business for big jobs when a little one will do!

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 11:48 pm

Emeskay, sorry to get too complicated.
Make sure you buy a new unit from a brand that has the same brake setup.
I doubt if you can buy just an adjustable lever that would fit into the standard Swing mastercyl system.

More tech BS below

You would probably need to purchase the entire brake lever assembly from one of the other brands.
This includes the master cylinder that drives the brake calipers with oil.
The front brake on a Swing is a single rotor(disc) on the left side.
The brake lever assy is designed to pump a specified amount of oil to the brake, giving you a given amount of movement in the lever... how far your fingers have to move to make the brake work.
If the new assembly is off a scoot that has 2 rotors (Burgman)your amount of finger movement will be reduced. This could make the brake come on sooner and sharper.
The rear would be more complicated due to wierd Honda setup.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 10:34 am

I think that all she is looking for is the three part lever that several of the BMW's had. There was a little knurled wheel near the fulcrum that allowed the part of the lever covered by the hand to be moved either nearer or further from the grip. I have no idea where she can find them, but it would seem that the off road suppliers might be a good place to start looking.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 1:02 pm

joncallihan wrote:
I think that all she is looking for is the three part lever that several of the BMW's had. There was a little knurled wheel near the fulcrum that allowed the part of the lever covered by the hand to be moved either nearer or further from the grip. I have no idea where she can find them, but it would seem that the off road suppliers might be a good place to start looking.

That's exactly what I mean! :Not Worthy: Thank you for putting it much better than I did. I have very small hands, and it would be easier to brake if the brake lever was 1/2" or so closer to the handle. bounce

Nice work (the art, I mean).
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 11:07 am

I'm not sure but the Goldwing has those. Ask the dealer if he has a set in stock and take them out to see if they will work. Or take some measurments of one on the display floor.

MaxB
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 2:48 pm

Most sport bikes have them. I would check with the Honda dealer to see if they have any of the sport bike levers in stock and would they try to fit one.

Dan
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 11:40 pm

I just went out to the garage to look at the levers on my SW and Goldwing. The left side levers are quite different. The right side levers are similar but the extensions that work the brake switches look different. If you wanted to go to the effort of a bit of aluminum welding they could be made to work but I doubt it otherwise. It might be easier to take the levers to a welding shop and have them cut, bend and weld them inwards a bit. Shouldn't be too expensive. A good welder could tell you whether they would be strong enough to do that.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 5:55 am

Other than I want them - what is the reason to have adjustable brake leavers on the SilverWing?

What is the objective advantage?
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 2:03 pm

The only purpose of adjustable levers is to fit your hand. Some folks with small hands find the levers out so far they can only pull them with their fingertips which is uncomfortable and doesn't provide as much gripping strength as you could get with your fingers wrapped more fully around the lever.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 9:31 pm

That makes sense.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 9:38 pm

I like it.

I can't wait to see who finds this one for the swing.

DennisB
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 7:14 am

exavid wrote:
The only purpose of adjustable levers is to fit your hand. Some folks with small hands find the levers out so far they can only pull them with their fingertips which is uncomfortable and doesn't provide as much gripping strength as you could get with your fingers wrapped more fully around the lever.

That's the reason...I have small hands, and it would be more comfortable. Thanks to all of you for checking on this for me...I haven't discovered anything yet, but will let you know when I do.

Mandy
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 6:10 pm

Hi Mandy,

I was just up at RENEGADES, the local Honda Repair and parts shop here in Glenpool, and talked to the owner Dick McDonald and he let me borrow the right brake lever off a new Goldwing GL1800. I took it home and installed it on my SW....IT WORKS FOR THE RIGHT LEVER ONLY!!!

It is adjustable and is about 1 3/8" longer and when set on #5 it moves the right lever about a 1/2" closer to the throttle.

DennisB

Last edited by DennisB on Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Fazli
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 7:29 am

Sorry to dig up this topic but wat about the left levers? Also, anyone ever replaced to braided hoses?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 7:48 am

Wow! First post, no Hello Folks or anything like that, and 478 points! Smile
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 2:59 pm

The left hand lever can be fitted with a bit of filing or grinding.
Back to top Go down
Fazli
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 12:48 am

Sorry for not introducing myself. I'm Fazli from Singapore. A new owner of the FJS400 '08... Smile
Back to top Go down
Darkeswinger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Darkeswinger

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:58 pm

Previous owner grazed something on the left side and bent the left lever. I removed it to bend it back. Doesn't have exactly the same curve, but it was not difficult to bend. Wrap the lever in a cloth, place it in a vise, and bend it to where you want it.
Back to top Go down
Fazli
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 1:14 am

I would rather not do that in case I break the lever...
Back to top Go down
250sgp
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 11:46 am

sharing my silverwing sw-t400 plug and play adjustable levers! check this out:

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php/225675-SBF-Silverwings-Cafe-2009-2010-JDM-Euro-400-600/page266
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 12:35 am

If I pull really hard on my brake levers they almost touch the grip. So, if I were to bend them inward (any more than they are), they would surely touch the grip during a panic stop - meaning that I may not develop maximum hydraulic pressure that may be necessary for a safe stop. I went to a dealer to feel the levers on a new SWing - and they are very close to mine. My front brake pads have 90% left and my rear has 50%. I have recently bled my brakes - no air and clean brake fluid. In summary, I would advise against 'adjustable' levers as I fear you may not stop as fast when you need to stop in a hurry. Other bikes (other than the SWing) seem to often need far less travel to work well - therefore being more suitable to an adjustable lever arrangement.
Back to top Go down
250sgp
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 11:09 am

on my 3mths-old swt, my original levers can also come close to the grip when stationary. however if i were to do this on the move, then i would surely have locked up the wheel and crashed as a result.
the right lever controls the front brake only and the left lever controls both brakes with a heavier emphasis on the rear, but not as heavy as yours. that 90%-50% needs some probing into. maybe old brake hoses are to be blamed?
the correct brake technique is to apply even pressure on both levers. for me, i pump the levers, aka human ABS,hopefully to prevent the "death grip" in a panic situation.
The purpose of the adjustable levers is best explained in exavid's post. In addition, levers are foldable & extendable.
Back to top Go down
pancho
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
pancho

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 11:34 am

Emeskay wrote:

Mandy

Check for DOG_LEG levers, not a brand name but how they are made. Smile
Back to top Go down
stanly
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 12:30 am

250sgp wrote:

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php/225675-SBF-Silverwings-Cafe-2009-2010-JDM-Euro-400-600/page266

U know I clicked on link but couldn't find adj. levers in there.
did find these on Ebay though:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silverwing-600-foldable-adjustable-brake-Clutch-levers-/251265765200?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a809b4f50&vxp=mtr

My question is what's the difference between a 06 and a 02 lever?
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 1:45 am

I haven't tried it but it looks to me like it would be possible to adapt Goldwing 1800 levers to work with the Silverwing. The masters are much the same. They can be adapted to the 1500 Goldwing with a little bit of grinding on the clutch lever. It would be worth a try, it's often possible to get a pair of adjustable Goldwing levers on eBay at a low price to experiment with.
Back to top Go down
250sgp
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 8:30 am

stanly wrote:
250sgp wrote:

U know I clicked on link but couldn't find adj. levers in there.
did find these on Ebay though:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silverwing-600-foldable-adjustable-brake-Clutch-levers-/251265765200?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a809b4f50&vxp=mtr

My question is what's the difference between a 06 and a 02 lever?
hi, if yours are stock then they should be the same.
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2019-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2019 4:13 am

Well. I have a slightly different issue as in having a bit of Arthritis in my left hand, so this is also a problem for me.
I've had a close look at this, I managed quite easily to fit a VFR 800 front brake lever on the right hand/front brake side, so that is adjustable, but for some reason the left hand lever has the microswitch to work the brake light and starter lock out on small extension threaded things so a VFR Clutch lever fits, but doesn't come anywhere near operating the micro switch.

I can reach the standard lever, but it is finger tip as my hand has a bit of curvature now and getting a decent pull is an issue, for the moment I have oput some organic pads on the front with a new disc, and the bike stops well enough on the front as it is, but the pads won't last long...

So I've collected a few bits. I have a FireBlade front master cylinder, they run 4 pot calipers so this should esily have the flow I need, and I may re-link the brakes so that the front "brake" lever brings on both front and rear, and simply use the left hand lever for the single middle piston. My VFR Vtec has linked brakes, front lever operates 5 of the 6 pistons on the front and one of the three pistons on the rear so a little too much flow to use for this, the lever movement would be very minimal.. The "Blade one has a smaller bore, that's why I went that route.

Or I'm going to find a way to adapt the left hand lever so it has adjustable span and will operate the switch as well. I thought about using a VFR style Clutch master but again the bore is nowhere near large enough...

So watch this space.

Now if I could get all the brakes working on the one lever....  chickendance
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2019 8:54 am

Didn’t Leena recently post that she replaced her brake levers with adjustable brake levers?

Edit: I couldn’t locate her post here, but here’s a link for her FB post. https://m.facebook.com/story/graphql_permalink/?graphql_id=UzpfSTEwMDAwMTkzNDc5OTMwNzpWSzo1NjIxNjQzMTc1MjQwODU%3D
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2019 8:24 pm

Found an old post Website Japanwe bike.net sells adjustable levers for SW. Hope that's right. ???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable Hand Brake Levers   Adjustable Hand Brake Levers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Adjustable Hand Brake Levers
Page 1 of 1