Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
ABS or not I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
ABS or not I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
ABS or not I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
ABS or not I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
ABS or not I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
ABS or not I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
ABS or not I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
ABS or not I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
ABS or not I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
ABS or not I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

ABS or not

Go down 
+5
dspevack
realbtl
Darkeswinger
"Hi Yo"
SCTLVR
9 posters
AuthorMessage
SCTLVR
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2012-06-27

ABS or not Empty
PostSubject: ABS or not   ABS or not I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 12:19 pm

All,
I'm about to purchase a used S'wing.
There are S'wings in my area with and without ABS.
Would YOU only purchase an S'wing with ABS?
Thanks!
Greg
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
ABS or not 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

ABS or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS or not   ABS or not I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 12:48 pm

I would consider the entire bike and MY riding style, needs, and the PRICE. Good luck with your search. ABS would be a factor, but not the only one for me.
Back to top Go down
Darkeswinger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Darkeswinger

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-06-11

ABS or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS or not   ABS or not I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 2:12 pm

My 2004 has no ABS, but even though I understand the technology, I do not feel any urge to sell the one I have in order to purchase one that has ABS.
Back to top Go down
realbtl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
realbtl

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2011-12-19

ABS or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS or not   ABS or not I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 4:45 pm

I traded in my 08 non-ABS for a new one with ABS for 3 reasons:
1. I live in the land of the kamikaze deer;
2. I know my reflexes are not what they were 20 or 40 years ago and;
3. See reason #1.

That said I do ride my S40 w/o ABS but much slower and not nearly the miles as the Swing. It's a personal decision.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

ABS or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS or not   ABS or not I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 6:08 pm

Given a choice, if you can afford ABS, why would you do without?
Don't be a victim of coulda, woulda, shoulda, didna syndrome.

That's where you're lying in a hospital from a motorcycle accident saying:
I coulda got ABS, I woulda Got ABS, I shoulda got ABS, I didna get ABS, and that's why I'm here.

It only hurts your wallet once. Not having it could hurt your body for life.

Dan
Back to top Go down
SCTLVR
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

ABS or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS or not   ABS or not I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 7:49 pm

Thanks for the collective wisdom.
I'm going to look at a S'wing tomorrow with ABS and have decided that this is the direction I'm going to take.
Really looking forward to riding the scoot'.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
ABS or not 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

ABS or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS or not   ABS or not I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 9:39 pm

Another point is resale would probably be better if you have ABS.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

ABS or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS or not   ABS or not I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 10:19 pm

Good direction (to ABS) I am sure. Not certain when ABS became standard (if it did), but my 2012 has it and it is nice to know it is there. Perhaps I will never need it but if it rains, or if there is ice, or sand... Well you get the idea.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-11-16

ABS or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS or not   ABS or not I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 4:29 am

On a Demo ride I tried braking with the rear tire on a KLR 650 and found myself skidding. Not bad in that case but not a good feeling.

My 2006 with ABS did a nice job stopping on gravel in a straight line when I tested the ABS function. Gave me confidence.

Also, I can do things with ABS I would not dare without it - like breaking through part of a turn because I went in too fast.

I am interested in a second bike for long distance touring or dirt road riding and one requirement is ABS. I would like a V-Strom 1000 but they don't have an ABS version. Sad

Also, in Europe ABS is required on new bikes.

Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

ABS or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS or not   ABS or not I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 7:00 am

Buy a SWing with ABS - if at all possible.

I was not 100% sure that I would like/ride the SWing much (before I purchased it) so last summer I bought a 2003 non-ABS SWing here in California. At that time it was more about getting a scooter that was in my price range rather than ABS. Starting in 2012 I began riding about 1000 miles per week and found that there were weekly occurrences where I felt that ABS would have been very helpful in either getting me stopped OR getting me to quickly shave a bunch of speed off the SWing. Unfortunately, I found myself to not be very good at braking, afraid to learn how to properly brake in a panic situation, and very tentative when doing high speed braking. So, I began to look for an ABS SWing within my budget. While I don't know what percentage of SWings have been sold here in California over the years with ABS, I am guessing that it is fairly small as there seem to very few generally available on CraigsList (or other sources where i have looked). But lately there have been a few - and I just purchased a 2008 ABS SWing. I am barely getting started using it but find that I am no longer either tentative or afraid to use the brakes HARD when I need to stop when travelling at a high speed. Buying a used SWing in California is more about availability - rather than choice - or even price (KBB only lists ABS SWings for a few hundred more than non-ABS). My recommendation is that you buy a SWing - hopefully one that has ABS - but buy a SWing as you will most likely like it - then if you do not get one with ABS (assuming you like/use your SWing) - be on the lookout for one with ABS and trade-up when your time and your budget permit. IMHO Honda should have made all of the SWings over the years - as they seem to be doing now - with ABS as I believe that most 'scooter' riders are like me - very inexperienced at high speed braking (and braking on poor surfaces) and therefore unlikely to use a proper braking technique when faced with a panic/emergency situation.
Back to top Go down
SCTLVR
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

ABS or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS or not   ABS or not I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 11:59 am

Dimond,
Thank you for another vote for ABS. I found one in Auburn, CA on Craigslist and may see it today. I'm in Fairfield, CA. Kelley Blue Book states that ABS is worth about $300.00 - $500.00 more, depending upon year ('07 - '09) as you noted, here in Northern CA.
Back to top Go down
sharker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
sharker

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-05-10

ABS or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS or not   ABS or not I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 6:11 pm

ABS likely saved my life or at least some broken bones last fall.
A cage turned left into my lane in front of me on his way to making a left turn. I hauled in on both brakes (no place to swerve) as hard as I could squeeze and was almost stopped when I hit his passenger door. $3500 damage to the swing but only a bruise on my right leg. ABS saves lives.
Steve Harker
Kingston ON
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ABS or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS or not   ABS or not I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ABS or not
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: