Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» 2003 ABS info on recall work
Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Handlebar Holder Recall
Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeby xwelder Yesterday at 9:12 am

» It's that time of year again.
Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Oct 23, 2024 3:31 pm

» Silverwing 600 Owner
Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Wed Oct 23, 2024 6:47 am

» I Need Help With The Brake Bleeding
Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:57 pm

» New FPR, new vacuum pipes, still 22mpg
Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:35 pm

» A strange howl
Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeby 53Scooterguy Sun Oct 20, 2024 11:56 am

» Tip For Bleeding Brakes
Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 9:58 am

» Brake/Start Switch Availability
Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Oct 19, 2024 7:31 am

» Passenger Back rest
Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Sat Oct 19, 2024 4:36 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Looking at 2009 Burgman

Go down 
+10
DaveR
Ishkatan
donkeyhater
tubeck
john grinsel
MikeO
Meldrew
JeffR_
bigbird
ehaughn
14 posters
AuthorMessage
ehaughn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ehaughn

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Looking at 2009 Burgman Empty
PostSubject: Looking at 2009 Burgman   Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 11:33 pm

Hi All,

Since I no longer have my 2008 swing, I am looking at and possibly picking up a 2009 650 burgman this weekend.

Anyone want to comments on likes and dislikes between the swing and burgman?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Looking at 2009 Burgman   Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 11:50 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Looking at 2009 Burgman   Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 2:13 am

Erick,

Do you know about the www.burgmanusa.com site? It is a nice bike but make sure you read up on the "stopper bolt" issue. It isn't a big deal at all but they are saying that the stopper bolt should be replaced about every 15,000 mi or there is a slight chance that it could lead to a CVT failure. If you can get a maintenance plan you might want to look into that too. To repair the CVT is approx $3,000 so it is very expensive.

This only happens to a very small percentage of B650 so I wouldn't worry about it but you should read up on the issue on the burgman site. Other than that it seems like the people really like it and is a bit more comfortable on the highway. But my SWing is extremely smooth. Is this an Executive? The electric shield would be nice.

Good luck and keep us up to date and if you do get it please give us a review if you get a chance.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4214
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Looking at 2009 Burgman   Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 3:27 am

I went from a 2008 650 Burgman Executive to the Silver Wing,

The power windscreen is handy, but as usual the stock screen is rubbish, I bought a Secdem which was 4" higher but no wider. I wanted the Givi originally as it offered hand coverage, but even in the lowered position it was far too tall.

The power mirrors are hard to adjust and if you're riding at night and a car is close behind, you get dazzled and have to fold them in. Too many switches and buttons on the left handlebar are a problem riding at night too.

The larger wheels are rough cast and harder to clean, the front wheel having twin discs make it difficult to get into some areas, and all that weight means it takes two hands to move the wheel. The rear wheel gets covered in brake dust and again it's hard to turn the five spoke wheel for cleaning. In fact the whole rear wheel area is hard to clean, and takes ages. Some UK riders have complained about wheel corrosion, mine were fine but I made the effort to keep away winter salt corrosion.The Honda's smooth three spoke wheels are a joy to clean in comparison.

All that weight means moving it around requires effort but the grab rails are better on the Burgman. The Auto/Manual novelty wears off quickly, and it's best left in Auto at night. I felt obliged to play with Manual on longer rides just because it was there. Servicing is a pretty complex affair too, lots of tupperware and the radiator need to be removed for a major service. I wouldn't worry about a transmission failure either, the rectifier has caused some problems for UK riders, and the centre stand has a cut out switch that I've heard can play up. Dirt and corrosion again probably.

I enjoyed my two years with the big Burgman, but I don't miss it at all, I think the under seat storage is better laid out, and for Mrs M it had a grander (heated) passenger seat. The 12v socket on the Silver Wing is also better situated and usable than that on the Burgman.

I've said this before, but riding the Silver Wing after the weight of the Burgman is like riding a 400cc scooter again.

Last edited by Meldrew on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Looking at 2009 Burgman   Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 4:51 am

Re the corroding wheels:
My ex-X9er friends who've move to big Burgers have all been through that and end up having the wheels powder-coated.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Looking at 2009 Burgman   Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 5:15 am

IMHO I think a lot of the wheel corrosion problems are the fault of the owner not hosing the Burgman down with cold water after riding on salted roads. I made sure I did this in winter even when the light was failing, and frost was forming on the seat and screen, then drying off with a leaf blower. (We don't have the Blaster motorcycle drier for sale here). I didn't enjoy this usually nocturnal cleaning but it paid off and I never had any problems with the wheels on my 400 or 650 Burgman.

As I said earlier the Silver Wing's 3 spoke smooth cast wheels are a lot easier to clean, and a bit of car polish once a year helps keep them looking good.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Looking at 2009 Burgman   Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 5:29 am

Yes although Barrycello, JJ and Rocketman on the X9 forum spend as much time as a Harley owner cleaning and polishing.
I do take your point, though.
They all live and commute in or around London and were victims of the 'salt mixed with molasses' fiasco a couple of years ago.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3309
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Looking at 2009 Burgman   Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 7:26 am

Having had 600SilverWing/TMAX and Burgman 400 and ridden 650 Suzuki Burgman. 650Burgman would not be my choice for next scooter---complicated maint./HEAVY / gas mileage----at the $10,000 price point my Honda NT700V is much better deal (Deauville).

I get new bike each spring---I like scooters, next either another SilverWing or Burgman 400----I have no interest if newer/more compliced/high maint. comes out and of course at high price.
Back to top Go down
tubeck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Looking at 2009 Burgman   Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 9:55 am

John - a new scooter every sping. you just made me jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
donkeyhater
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Looking at 2009 Burgman   Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 1:26 pm

Meldrew wrote:

As I said earlier the Silver Wing's 3 spoke smooth cast wheels are a lot easier to clean, and a bit of car polish once a year helps keep them looking good.

In the USA the Silverwing wheels are also painted (Sparkling Silver Metallic) which tends to make cleaning and care more simple.

I like to use a spray on cleaning product called S100 (years ago it was a liquid in a spray bottle, currently it is in an aerosol can which foams up when sprayed) which is simply applied and hosed off with a stream of water. It does wonders on hard to reach areas such as wheels/brake rotors. Do you have S100 available to you over there?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Looking at 2009 Burgman   Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 2:52 pm

donkeyhater wrote:
I like to use a spray on cleaning product called S100 (years ago it was a liquid in a spray bottle, currently it is in an aerosol can which foams up when sprayed) which is simply applied and hosed off with a stream of water. It does wonders on hard to reach areas such as wheels/brake rotors. Do you have S100 available to you over there?

We do indeed, S100 and S Doc 100 are a range of German motorcycle cleaning and care products mainly available from Hein Gericke motorcycle clothing and accessory stores. I've been using the S100 aerosol Corrosion Inhibiter, and Textile Proofer for a few years now When wheels are dirty I use a spray on liquid called Muk Off for a couple of minutes before hosing off, or alloy wheel cleaning wipes which are pretty effective too.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203

PostSubject: Re: Looking at 2009 Burgman   Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 2:52 am

What kind of riding to you do? Good points by the other posters.

I would say check the http://www.nadaguides.com/ for value and if it is a good deal go for it - if it is an Exec model. The Exec model has ABS breaks. The regular model does not. I am a big fan of ABS.

I tried a Burgy at a bike show and was impressed. It's like driving a Grand Marquis vs. a Camry. Or a Yamaha V-Star 900 vs. Suzuki V-Storm 650. It had more butt room sideways and more leg room with legs extended forward. My Swing is OK but I can't really stretch at 5'10 with a 30 inch inseam. I would seriously consider one if the price was right - on the Exec model only - but I am not rushing out looking for one as my Swing is still running. Smile

I would suggest you take it for a nice long trial ride.
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Looking at 2009 Burgman   Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 3:48 pm

As most of you know I have the 2005 Silverwing. I love it, but, my brother in Albuquerque has a Bergman and one of the fellows I ride with has the Bergman 650. It makes me a little jealous when we fill up with gasoline especially after riding on a long ride and running 75 and 80 on the GPS. My Silverwing always takes more gasoline than their Bergman. I do think the Bergman Executive has some plusses but the negative is more maintenance. That can be a real problem. Other than that they are both really good machines and it is just kind of a trade off and what you like and dislike. I would settle for either one. Oh, one thing I did notice the other day was while riding in a strong wind, the Bergman being wider in front does make a difference. It tends to want to come up off the ground a little more than my Silverwing. My Silverwing just cuts the wind better I think.
Back to top Go down
ehaughn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ehaughn

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2010-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Looking at 2009 Burgman   Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 7:19 pm

Hey All,

I purchased a 2009 Burgman 400. 10k miles, white. Great shape.

After putting 400 miles, I have likes and dislikes for both the Burgman and Silverwing.

Probably my biggest gripe on the 400, scooter does not start to engage/move until around 3,200 RPM. I thought this was an issue, but after reading many posts, this is quite normal.

I did look at the 650 Burgman, but it is a beast, over 600lbs, ouch. Great machine as well, high tech with the manual shift and all digital dash.

I will not go crazy this time with the accessories, lighting etc. I want to enjoy this one for me.

But, I do miss the Silverwing, great machine.
Back to top Go down
tubeck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Looking at 2009 Burgman   Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 10:00 am

If you are going to have a 400 you have to have a 650 too. (nothing wrong with that.) but if you are trying to do it all with one bike its the SWing
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Looking at 2009 Burgman   Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 12:44 am

Erick,

Congrats on the new Burg 400. I had the Majesty, which is very similar to the B400, and it was very comfortable. Hope you don't leave us here and I would like to hear further comparisons. And I'm sure you know about the burgmanusa.com site too. Daboo (Chris) is a moderator of the burgman site and posts here too. He is one of the best people to go to for info on the Burg400, so if you have a question you should get in touch with him if you can't find the answer.
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Looking at 2009 Burgman   Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:08 pm

Yes, congratulations on your new ride! And thank you JeffR for the kind words.

I'd suggest staying with this group (as well as joining BurgmanUSA). Just because you don't have the exact same bike as the folks here do, doesn't mean you can't learn from them. We use our bikes for the same purposes. Some of the ideas and mods they make, can be used on our bikes too. I never would've thought of how to mount the new LED lights, if it wasn't for stumbling on Dennis's light bar...and then scratching my head for well over a year trying to figure out how to make something like that work.

And besides...where else will you be able to keep up with whatever bike John Grinsel is riding? Laughing

Chris
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Looking at 2009 Burgman   Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 4:48 pm

I actually prefer the seating position and general ergonomics on both the B400 and the B650 over the SWing. On the Burgmans, I feel as if I'm sitting comfortably in the machine, whereas on the SWing, I feel as though I'm sitting on top of it. That observation is probably highly subjective and is based, no doubt, on my build in relation to each machine.

The B650 is a great machine and, to me, the weight issue is not a huge problem, but I continue to have some serious misgivings about the reliability of the transmission. The B400 has a simple CVT transmission and it appears to be pretty easy to do periodic maintenance on, but-the motor being single cylinder and smaller displacement-I suspect it works a lot harder at higher speeds.

If you go to the BurgUSA site and do some research, you will find a lot of anecdotal info suggesting that the B650 trans failure is a rare problem which affects primarily older machines and which compensated for in certain ways (routine replacement of the stopper bolt, as described above) and that the B400 does fine at freeway speeds and is used to tour all over the place.

If I get to the point at which I want to replace the SWing, I'd probably look at a B400...but that's just me.

(edited)....ah, I see you bought a B400! Awesome...would very much like to have you post updates here about your observations on the bike...
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Looking at 2009 Burgman   Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 5:52 pm

Congrats Erick on buying the 400. I have both a Silverwing and Burgman 400. Both fun to ride. What the 400 lacks in power it makes up in being able to flick it around.

Two modifications that will make it even more enjoyable are: Swap the stock screen for a Givi or 7Jurock one. I have the 7Jurock. The other modification is Dr Pulley Sliders - get the 18 gram ones, better acceleration and better mpg as well.

Enjoy,
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Looking at 2009 Burgman   Looking at 2009 Burgman I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 3:20 am

Firstly, congrats on the Burgman 400, brilliant machine. Loved every minute of every mile with mine. (Especially getting sparks from it when cornering!! I didn't believe you could lean a scooter so well!!)

Jinglebob wrote:
I actually prefer the seating position and general ergonomics on both the B400 and the B650 over the SWing. On the Burgmans, I feel as if I'm sitting comfortably in the machine, whereas on the SWing, I feel as though I'm sitting on top of it. That observation is probably highly subjective and is based, no doubt, on my build in relation to each machine.

Jinglebob, I whole heartedly agree with your observations. Not detracting from the fact the 'Wing' is a superb machine I do feel 'perched' on it when riding. A sensation never felt on my Burgman.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41

Looking at 2009 Burgman
Page 1 of 1