Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Russell Day-long saddles

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Russell Day-long saddles Empty
PostSubject: Russell Day-long saddles   Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 12:09 pm

Why consider a "best / worst" saddle. Why not investigate the "best".
I had Day-long's on two BMW K bikes for a total of some 50,000 miles and they were comfortable from the first ride. No break-in needed.

http://www.day-long.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Russell Day-long saddles   Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 1:31 pm

Welcome to the site joncallihan and I agree that the Russell is probably one of the nicest seats out there. My brother had one on his ST1300, totaled the bike up near the Yukon last summer and the only things he brought back was like the GPS, camping trailer and Russell saddle. I have ridden bikes with them and like how they give a wider support for the long haul. Do you have one on or considering one on your Swing? If so please give a report. I believe they had theirs custom fit in California while they were passing through. Dick
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Russell Day-long saddles   Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 2:18 pm

Don't have one yet. I posted this because someone else was complaining about Corbin. I'm not sure that I will be using the SWing for long haul. but if I do, I'll send a seat pan to Shasta Lake. The Russell people are all old hippies (at least they were when I met them first time in '94 at a BMW rally in Quincy).
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Russell Day-long saddles   Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 8:45 am

Does anyone on this forum have a Russell Day-Long Saddle installed on their SWing? If you do... please share your thoughts with everyone.

I heard nothing but good things about Corbin saddles so I bought one for my new Swing. Come to find out that most of these people had problems with their new Corbins like I did.

I also had a old Cobin saddle on a old '54 Harley chopper in 1972, when I got out of the Army, and it seemed to me, at the time, to be a nice seat.

I just think Corbin fell flat on their face when they engineered this Honda SilverWing seat replacement.

So if someone has a SWing with a Russell Day-Long saddle installed...please let all of us hear what you think of it.

HEAR SAY just does not feed the Bulldog on this topick. I want to hear from a SilverWing owner with a Day-Long INSTALLED. ANYONE!

Thank You,

DennisB
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Russell Day-long saddles   Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 11:43 am

DennisB,

I sent this out to the members since we have a member here that has a Russell Day- Long seat but doesn't always come on this site much. So hopefully he will respond.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Russell Day-long saddles   Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 11:49 am

On or about April 30 +/- (probably plus) a few days, I will. I had such good memories from the Russell Day Long that I had on a couple of BMW's that I took the plunge and ordered one early this week. I got a note about the production date this morning.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Russell Day-long saddles   Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 12:16 pm

Jon,

Like I asked....does any one have a Russell Day-Long Saddle installed on a SilverWing, Sorry....You don't. When you do get your saddle in I just hope you get to install it yourself and not your mechanic so you can see if it works for you and I do hope it works for you. At the price that a person has to pay for one.... it better work for you and work well!

A standard motorcycle seat just bolts on and just seats there and has no mechanical functions like a Silverwing scooter seat does.

Jeff,
Thank you for hearing and understanding the question I asked. Alot of people just don't take the time....you do, Thank You

Thank's

DennisB
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Russell Day-long saddles   Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 3:45 pm

DennisB

I'm sure glad that I don't have a negative attitude like yours.

Of course I will install the thing when I get it back, I will have to take it off to send to them to get it made on my pan. I suspect that you would feel that it would be too much of an imposition to be without the use of your Swing for the two or three weeks needed.

And I beg to differ with you about the "seat just bolts on" -- both of my BMW seats were hinged, just like the silly Swing seat, but the hinges were on the side, not the nose. The seat served the same purpose on the BMW -- to cover the place that the REAL as delivered tool kit was stored, where the needed documents were stored, where the overflow tank for the coolant was accessed, etc. The top of the seat served the same purpose on the BMW as it will on the Swing.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Russell Day-long saddles   Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 4:27 pm

Jon,

Before you start to blast people, you should really try a little harder to understand what you are reading. Take your time and read very slowly and try to be a little bit more understanding of what your reading. Your making some very big mistakes in your judgments and arguments.
:lol!:

DennisB
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Russell Day-long saddles   Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 5:08 pm

DennisB,

Here is the link and the "pasted" post that David (Reinaldo) posted on the Yahoo groups website. You may want to go there and search it there too. David is a member here, and I think the 2nd member to join. When he went up to Shasta to get his seat adjusted we made it a group ride and our BAMR group rode just over half way up with him. He could give you some good information I think.

He is the main reason that I sent the email to the entire group. I wanted to make sure he received this post. I'm not really sure if he installed the seat himself when he got it. He might just have rode up and had it installed. But maybe he can take some pics of it to show if he had to "make it fit" like many others have to do with the Corbin.

What is strange; is that both those companies are close to me and I still have the stock seat. The Corbin plant is only about 70 miles away and they have this really neat "50's" diner there with great burgers.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/hondasilverwings/message/65718

I mean no criticism of the Air Hawk, there are many satisfied users.
That said, I tried the Air Hawk as well as several other pad, gel pads,
memory foam pads, etc. I even did the Whit Saddlefarkle mod from the
files. By the time I finished I had spent about $250. In the end, I
bought a custom Day-Long saddle from Russell. Nothing else came close to
matching this. Yes, it was expensive. It was about $600. But that extra
$350 was worth every penny. Others also make custom saddles and I can't
speak for them, but nothing has made my El Fuego as ridable as the
Day-Long. All my life I've purchased the discount tool because it was
cheaper, then when it broke or didn't do the job I had to go out and buy
the better tool, thus paying twice. (I also paid the extra for their
excellent, easily-adjustable back rest.)

Last summer, when I wanted them to make some adjustments to the saddle,
they gave me the alternatives of shipping it in to them or riding in.
Since it is only about 250 miles, I road up, spent the night at a motel
(Actually the ONLY motel in Shasta Lake City.) and then, in the morning
they took the saddle apart, changed the foam and springs to make it
better, tried it out before they reclosed everything and even took me to
the local Starbucks for morning coffee. And no charge for any of it.

So try the Air Hawke and the sheepskin (And, by the way, I continue to
use my sheepskin because it feels better in the heat and cold--and I
already paid for it.), but do consider either a Russell or other custom
saddle.

Reinaldo

I hope we can get you your answer.

Jon,

I think the reason DennisB is wanting this information is because many people have had to "make their Corbin fit". And for the money they paid for it... the seat should just bolt on with no problems. I'm not trying to get in the middle of anything but DennisB has never come off as having a negative attitude. He really has been very helpful to many of us in the short time this site has existed. But many others have complained about having to make their corbin seat work properly.

Thanks,

JeffR
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Russell Day-long saddles   Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 6:00 pm

Jeff,
Thank you for the curtius and helpful reply.

DennisB
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Russell Day-long saddles   Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 11:07 am

I may owe Dennis an apology. But I can read as well as anyone.
I had posted earlier words to the effect that why put up with Corbin's "make it fit" attitude, just ask Russell to make a saddle for you. It is made on your pan, so fit will be no problem.
By the way, courteous is the correct spelling.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Russell Day-long saddles   Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 10:49 am

Well, the FedEx dude delivered the saddle from Shasta Lake Tuesday afternoon. It was late and very chilly in the garage, so I put off installing it until yesterday afternoon.

It just took about 20 minutes with help from my wife (to steady it) to
install a newly purchased Russell Day-Long. Since they reupholster
YOUR seat pan, it fits, no extra washers, no nothing to MAKE it fit.
It closes, it latches, it does not need a new gas spring (it is only
about 2 pounds heavier) (No back rest yet, but the attachment hardware
is there).

Yes, it did cost a bit more -- are you aware of the old saw "you get what you pay for"??? In any case, a total of $670, including shipping both ways and buying a box to put it in outbound, is minimally more than a base Corbin, discounting all of the stuff to "make it fit".

Some of the other complaints about the Day-Long include excessive down-time. If you live where there is winter, the silly scooter is setting there being unused anyway, so it becomes a non-issue (in my case, from noon, March 10 thru 14:00, April 1).
Another is the "if I sell the scooter I will have the old seat to put on it, and keep the park bench". I counter that with "if I sell the scooter, I will not be replacing it with another, so why in the hell do I want a useless bit of plastic lying around?"

The weather here is not yet conducive to any long rides, but they will happen relatively soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Russell Day-long saddles   Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 11:32 am

Jon,
Enjoy your new saddle! I heard from several folks that have the Russell saddle and love it. Hopefully it will warm up soon so you can
break in the new saddle.

Ride safe,
Wes

swing
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Russell Day-long saddles   Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 11:36 am

Wes,
It snowed last night, not enough to get the snow removal folks out though.
The forecast high is mid to late 40's today, early to mid 50's tomorrow. Snow again on Saturday. I suspect it will be a relatively normal spring here -- a storm a week until sometime in late May.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Russell Day-long saddles   Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 7:39 pm

Jon,
Sorry to hear about the weather. We have been right around 60 degrees plus or minus a few. The weather folks are talking about
snow hear next week. ???? It is Spring, we don't need no stinking snow! Sorry dude, may is way late for Spring.
Hang in there.

Ride safe.
Wes :bubblegum:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Russell Day-long saddles   Russell Day-long saddles I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Russell Day-long saddles
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Accessories & Modifications-
Jump to: