Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Site link on Wikipedia !!! I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Site link on Wikipedia !!! I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Site link on Wikipedia !!! I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Site link on Wikipedia !!! I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Site link on Wikipedia !!! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Site link on Wikipedia !!! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Site link on Wikipedia !!! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Site link on Wikipedia !!! I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Site link on Wikipedia !!! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Site link on Wikipedia !!! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Site link on Wikipedia !!!

Go down 
+3
edbancro
pja
JeffR
7 posters
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Site link on Wikipedia !!! Empty
PostSubject: Site link on Wikipedia !!!   Site link on Wikipedia !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2010 1:10 am

Hi all,

I just figured out how to put this site on the Wikipedia site for the Honda Silver Wing. Here is the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Silver_Wing_(scooter)

This is the only Silver Wing 600 site on Wikipedia. I just thought it was kind of cool to do and it worked.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2009-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Site link on Wikipedia !!!   Site link on Wikipedia !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2010 1:31 am

JeffR wrote:

I just figured out how to put this site on the Wikipedia site for the Honda Silver Wing...

Jeff,

Well done!

Could I digress on a related subject? I do a bit with websites (either plain HTML/CSS or WordPress) and am a member of many forums. I don't mean this as a criticism as I know the work involved in running a site like this but! Have you looked at ever moving this fine resource to a newer and perhaps easier to use forum software (like phpBB or Vanilla or Simple Machines Forum). I guess the work in porting the content becomes just too much.

Anyhow, keep up your good work, its most appreciated.

Regards,
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.caseysbeach.com

PostSubject: Re: Site link on Wikipedia !!!   Site link on Wikipedia !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2010 10:25 am

Just clicked on the link and it goes to the Silver Wing (Scooter) site on Wikipedia, but there is no link to this forum listed. And yes, I cleared my cache. Just thought you'd like to know.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Site link on Wikipedia !!!   Site link on Wikipedia !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2010 2:44 pm

Well,

I guess they took it off. I was told that if you are a member you are allowed to post information on the site and when I was given permission to join it was because I have a Silver Wing and also this site. But I guess they changed their minds. But it was cool for the 12 hours or so it was up.

Peter,

I'm not really good at these sites to tell you the truth. I had to figure this thing out to get it to work. I'm afraid if I change this to a different format I wouldn't be able to figure out how to use it or manage it. Is something like this difficult for someone with no web site experience? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Site link on Wikipedia !!!   Site link on Wikipedia !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2010 2:46 pm

If you look at the edit history, it appears that someone flagged the changes as spam and rolled the page back to how it was before. I suppose one could undo the undo, but they probably don't like that...
Back to top Go down
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

PostSubject: Re: Site link on Wikipedia !!!   Site link on Wikipedia !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2010 4:46 pm

JeffR wrote:
... I'm not really good at these sites to tell you the truth. I had to figure this thing out to get it to work. I'm afraid if I change this to a different format I wouldn't be able to figure out how to use it or manage it. Is something like this difficult for someone with no web site experience? Thanks.

Jeff,

I fully understand. Like I said, its a lot of work just getting these things started and then keeping them going. If you ever need a hand with any technical stuff I would be pleased to help (although there is no guarantee I would know what I was doing Suspect ). I, like other forum members, do appreciate the work you do.

Regards,
Peter
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Site link on Wikipedia !!!   Site link on Wikipedia !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2010 4:52 pm

pja wrote:
I, like other forum members, do appreciate the work you do.

Regards,
Peter

And thats the truth. :not worthy:
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Site link on Wikipedia !!!   Site link on Wikipedia !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2010 8:01 pm

Thanks for the appreciation. DennisB and Dale are very active as moderators too, and they seem to have had more time lately to be more active than me.

I use this site (platform) since it only costs me about $15 a month to run. I had a few computer science courses in 1980 but decided I didn't want to sit behind a computer all day so I quit college. But somehow I got a job as an engineer about 15 years ago and what do I do now...sit behind a computer. I wish I stayed as a technician or an electrician. I enjoyed those more.

But anyway, I may take you up on the help one day Peter. I really am afraid if I try something (new platform etc) I may screw it up so bad that the entire site goes down. It's weird..I'm an engineer for the biggest phone company, working with design drawings for fiber optics and the equipment.. but I hate phones and all the high tech stuff. I just learned how to text message a few months back, not because it is difficult, but just because I don't like phones, ipods, ipads etc.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Site link on Wikipedia !!!   Site link on Wikipedia !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2010 8:24 pm

JeffR wrote:
TI had a few computer science courses in 1980 but decided I didn't want to sit behind a computer all day so I quit college. But somehow I got a job as an engineer about 15 years ago and what do I do now...sit behind a computer.

rolling laughter ... I could not stop laughing.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Site link on Wikipedia !!!   Site link on Wikipedia !!! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2010 5:56 am

For what it's worth:
for me this site has a rather home-spun, 'Walton's Mountain' feel about it, a refreshing change and haven from the hi-tec, information-driven sites I also frequent.

People who have the skill and knowledge to keep them all running have my utmost admiration and their generous offers of help are always welcome as far as I'm concerned, even if they're not taken up.

Thanks to all!
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Site link on Wikipedia !!!   Site link on Wikipedia !!! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2010 5:07 pm

I agree with MikeO... I like the layout and operation of this site far better than any other site I have visited.

Thanks for keeping it simple!
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Site link on Wikipedia !!!   Site link on Wikipedia !!! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2010 10:26 pm

I agree with MikeO and GaryL - this is one of the best forum layouts I've seen: very clean layout (but not boring jocolor), no weird threading to decipher study, it's easy to compose replies, has nice formatting options - all-in-all a real winner cheers
Back to top Go down
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

PostSubject: Re: Site link on Wikipedia !!!   Site link on Wikipedia !!! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2010 10:58 pm

Jeff,

I guess my signature block says it all Sad

By the way, you and I have similar backgrounds. I started as a cadet engineer (fitting and turning trade qualification and production engineering professional qualification) and after many years making things moved into IT but stayed there. I was a manager through object oriented programming and early web stuff so now in retirement I am a frustrated programmer/web developer No .

Just out of interest, I host my own website (www.caseysbeach.com) and several not-for-profit websites (www.enhs.org.au is the latest) at A Small Orange in Georgia. I have found them very professional and quite cheap. My own site costs USD25 p.a.

Regards,
Peter
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Site link on Wikipedia !!!   Site link on Wikipedia !!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Site link on Wikipedia !!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: