Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

is this normal??

Go down 
+3
MikeO
jdeereanton
wildwing
7 posters
AuthorMessage
wildwing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-09-05

is this normal?? Empty
PostSubject: is this normal??   is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 11:26 pm

found out just by chance that if the kill switch is pushed down (in the ON position, not the OFF mode) it will kill the engine. this is an '06 model that I haven't had too long; it had less than 4k miles when I bought it; is this something I should have the dealer check out or is this normal for this bike?? obviously, I won't be pushing the switch but I am curious about this. scratch
Back to top Go down

is this normal?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: is this normal??   is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 12:30 am

I am not sure what you mean but the kill switch is supposed to kill the engine . But if you are unsure that it is working get the dealer to check it .You probably won't even have to leave it there .
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

is this normal?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: is this normal??   is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 6:24 am

wildwing,

Welcome to the forum.

I can't stress this enough - read the owner's manual.

It is called in coloquial terms (as you called it) a "kill switch" Seriously, what did you think it would do; take out errant drivers? Smile It is a safety device that will kill the engine.

Bikes have had "kill switches" for quite a few decades now, they were added as a safety mandate by the federal government.

It is also probably going to leave you thinking someday that you have a serious problem because it is in the on position and the bike won't start. You will not think tho check the dang switch because who would? (Voice of experience.)
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

is this normal?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: is this normal??   is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 7:04 am

It does appear that your switch is either upside down or wired in reverse.
Mine is 'On' when the bottom of the rocker-switch is pressed - the sign beside it is the open circle with no cross on it.
In this position the engine runs.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

is this normal?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: is this normal??   is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 7:34 am

is this normal?? DSCF0007_resize

is this normal?? DSCF0008_resize

If your switch functions other than this - take it to the dealer. What are the chances that the side stand was down? It also has a switch that (if not tampered with, some say "modified") will disable the starter.

Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

is this normal?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: is this normal??   is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 1:01 pm

Dang and I thought that if some joker cut me off I could take them out with the kill switch, talk about being disappointed.
Craig
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

is this normal?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: is this normal??   is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 1:06 pm

crahar wrote:
Dang and I thought that if some joker cut me off I could take them out with the kill switch, talk about being disappointed.

Maybe your dealer could fix that :lol!:
Back to top Go down
wildwing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

is this normal?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: is this normal??   is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 11:48 pm

okay, obviously I did not clearly explain this; I know how the switch is SUPPOSED to work...what I'm asking is: when the bike is running & the switch is pushed hard in the RUN position (which it already was in that position or the bike would not have been running in the first place) is it normal for the switch to kill the engine? NORMALLY, the switch has to be pushed AWAY from the rider to engage the KILL. I have never ridden a bike that did this; just wondered if there's a problem or is this normal on a Swing?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

is this normal?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: is this normal??   is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 3:19 am

The switch won't kill the engine on my Silverwing unless I push the top end of it (I suppose that's 'away'f rom me).
Back to top Go down

is this normal?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: is this normal??   is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 12:04 pm

When my engine cut off switch is in the "On" or run position, it should not move further downward. I tried to press mine, while running, and I could not press it in any further than it already was. If you can press your switch further, and it shuts down the engine, something is wrong with the switch. I'd take it to the dealer ASAP.
Back to top Go down
wildwing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

is this normal?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: is this normal??   is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 11:29 pm

Thanks Vito, you're the only one on this forum that seemed to understand my question! I am perfectly aware of what & how the switch is supposed to work; the S-wing is my 8th bike...definitely not a noob...just new to the S-wing. Before I take the bike to the shop (over 100mi away) I simply wanted to be sure that this wasn't just something unique to this model.
Back to top Go down
redtailhawk
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-08-07

is this normal?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: is this normal??   is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 11:46 pm

as a bit of a new comer, I read and appreciated your question. I was dismayed by some who reacted with a bit of sarcasm, as if you didn't know what you were talking about. Vito understood you message and others did not. No reason for emphasis. We all misstate what we're trying to communicate. I like the low-key nature of this site and that people are able to really listen. I learned from this exchange. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

is this normal?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: is this normal??   is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 6:03 am

| venture to suggest that the remarks which were not direct attempts at answers to the problem were in no way sarcastic but the inevitable 'digressions' made amongst friends and generally laughed at but ignored.
It always takes time when joining a new group to find out A*) who the jokers are, B*) who the technical wizards are, C) who has what sense of humour and D) most important, that everyone is on the same side but doesn't always get the message across in quite the right way.
* One and the same in nearly every case.

It's clear to me that everyone was trying to help but some of us were finding difficulty in understanding what the problem was - no-one's fault, just the limitations of the written word.
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

is this normal?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: is this normal??   is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 7:11 pm

MikeO wrote:
|
It's clear to me that everyone was trying to help but some of us were finding difficulty in understanding what the problem was - no-one's fault, just the limitations of the written word.

I too found the original post confusing. Therefore I did not reply.

Yes some like to kid around , not being mean , but as a way to have a comic relief.

Before you take it to the shop , try taking the switch housing apart. (se3parate the 2 halves) Look at the switch to determine any physical damage. It could be as simple as a screw holding the switch in place is loose or missing.
If it is defective you need to replace the whole switch housing.

http://www.hondapartsnation.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/7/Honda.aspx?gclid=COytzJmTnKQCFcVa7AodKznFEA

MaxB (who has replaced 2 on burgmans recently)
Back to top Go down

is this normal?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: is this normal??   is this normal?? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 10:00 pm

I read the OP's question and understood it perfectly the first time. Then I was amazed at the number of readers who miss-read the question. It just goes to show how differently people perceive things.

-Lee
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

is this normal?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: is this normal??   is this normal?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

is this normal??
Page 1 of 1