Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride

Go down 
+6
tankyuong
jdeereanton
exavid
dspevack
DennisB
JeffR
10 posters
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride Empty
PostSubject: 1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride   1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 9:06 pm

Hi,

I'm going to attempt the Saddle Sore Ride on April 24th and was wondering if anyone has tried/done this. I know it will be a long ride but I think I'm up for it. I will bring plenty of water, granola bars, maybe some fruit etc. I also have an Air Hawk I hope to help and warm clothes too.

So, if anyone has any hints please tell me some and I will give a good write up for the ride. Here is the map of the ride we are going to do. I will have to go an additional 90 miles since I have to ride about 45 miles to the beginning of the ride.

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EJO2SyYrqEzSpX4fAo7Ssvd4UXGlthwdIOFimnpdOPn_3rDfYrXrdGJCtPlEasSusr2C5nDW3_SXRYyq2V7bHA/Iron%20Butt%20Route.pdf
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride   1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 9:50 pm

Hi Jeff,

Now that's a long ride for one day. I like the costal part on 101 but interstate 5 is really a boring stretch of highway. Looks like you will be riding along the Trinity River. Now that's a great place. I think there's a small hamburger place along the river called "BIG FOOT BURGERS". Worth stopping at for a lunch.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride   1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 9:52 pm

Jeff,
My route to the Honda Hoot left me only about 100 miles short of the SS1000.
I didn't need the extra 100 miles so I didn't bother. Anyway, here are a few tips I can give you.

1. Coat your windscreen with something slick, like rainx. Bugs are a bitch to get off the shield, and when it rains you'll appreciate the beading.
2. Keep the rain gear handy and if it even looks like you might be heading toward it, put on the rain gear. You'll be going fast enough not to overheat with a rainsuit on, so better safe than sorry.
3. Be very aware of fuel and long stretches between fuel stations. If you are running with a GPS and you are routing wide open expanses, click on find nearest gas station before you take the long drive and make sure the distance to the gas station on the other side of the expanse is less than your remaining fuel will take you.
4. Its nice to talk about health food. But sugar and caffiene are your friends.
5. If you've been riding hard for a while stop for a few minutes prior to crossing the bridge south of sausalito. Long expanses over water usually produce heavy crosswinds. If you aren't mentally prepared for it, the results are usually somewhere between challenging and fatal.
6. I did 900 miles in a travel time of 13 hours (17 hours total with breaks for bathroom, food, and recaffination). I was able to do this because I was focused on speed and destination. In the process, I did not enjoy the ride.
So tip number 6 is don't let an essentially meaningless benchmark distract you from enjoying the ride.
7. Clear Plastic food preparation gloves, like the ones they use at subway. You put them on over your outer gloves and they not only waterproof, but reduce wind chill on your hands. Some people put them on underneath regular gloves because it traps the persperation against their skin and works like a wet suit to keep the hands warm.
8. I probably don't have to say this but, air compressor, tire repair kit, emergency flasher, cell phone, etc. You know all this stuff just reiterating it.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride   1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 10:53 pm

The longest one day ride I've made was a run from Stockton, CA to Seattle, WA. It's around 800 miles and I did it in a lousy, rainy, cold day. It took about 14 hours running time in I-5 which is a pretty good 57mph average. Not bad considering the rain hardly let up anytime during the ride. I could have done another 200 miles but was mighty glad I didn't have to. I have to come clean and admit I did it on my Goldwing which is a lot more protected and smoother riding with the electronic cruise, radio and CB. I think I could do it in the SW in the summer with dry warm weather but it would be a harder trip.

One thing I'd suggest would be to push as hard as you dare on I-5 to build up a cushion for the slower parts of the ride. Highway 101 is pretty slow because of all the towns you have to go through. By all means have good rain gear, I use Frogg Toggs, they pack small are very light, breath well and most important keep you dry from rain or sweat. I use them over my regular gear for extra warmth if it gets nasty. They are thin but any windbreaker over you gear helps. One thing that's important to me is waterproof boots and gloves. Cold hands are a misery especially without cruise control. If nothing else a pair of rubber dishwashing gloves that will fit over your riding gloves can help a lot. I wear Danner Strike boots, they are waterproof and the most comfortable boots I've ever owned both on the bike and when walking. From my commercial driving days I learned it doesn't hurt to carry some No Doze tablets. They have about as much caffeine each as a strong cup of coffee but do a good job of clearing out the cowbwebs when the mind wants to drift. The GPS helps too toward the end of the ride, seeing the miles reel down helps the morale.
My hat's off to you and I hope the weather's good and the winds at your back both ways. 1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride   1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 5:08 am

Exavid,
There is no reason you can't have electronic cruise, radio, and CB on a Swing. 1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride Icon_king

My only disagreement with what you suggest is the no-doze tabs.
Only because if you feel you need them, its time to get off the bike anyway.
Go to a convenience store, get a soda, give the body a rest while recaffinating.
While driving a car you can be physically fatigued and mentally alert, and still be a relatively safe driver. Not so with a bike.

Also NO-Doz on an empty stomach can give you cramps, headaches etc. Better to eat junk food and soda than caffinate an empty stomach. JMHO.

Dan
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride   1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 8:05 am

Jeff,

Good luck. I think that pushing hard on those stretches that are scenery voids will help.

Carry less stuff to expand the mpg envelope. You are likely to be riding well travelled roads - do you really need a compressor? You will have to stop for gas - time to take a short jaunt into the c-store and get your water (or caffiene), granola and a greeting.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride   1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 10:21 am

And what ever you do, don't forget about the BIG FOOT BURGERS!
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride   1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 1:59 pm

tire repair kit.
Back to top Go down
RVer
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-03-25

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride   1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 11:00 pm

Good luck JeffR,

I had plan to do one the weekend before memorial day from NY to TN (going there to attend a high school graduation). But decided to ride half way and then stop for the night. But I'm keeping the return trip open as my opportunity to do it. Been thinking about for 3 long years. Looking forward to your write-up when you return.

Have a safe ride
Ralph
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride   1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 11:22 pm

Jeff, Just one more thing.....Don't forget to have a good time.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride   1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 6:01 am

Optimize your petrol (gas) stops. If you have done your homework you will have sussed out the location of petrol stations. Ensure you know that there are at least two petrol stations within your range, that way if the first one is closed you go to the second one. Carry a spare litre of petrol in a SIGG bottle, google SIGG if you don't know what they are.

Remember that you are doing this for fun, don't overstretch yourself or the Silverwing. Better to have tried and failed rather than having to go to a funeral in the coffin.

Good luck,
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride   1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 10:26 am

My trip to HAMS III Scooter Rally in St Louis, MO was originally 963 miles ... if I divert to I-44 to the north my trip would be 1,002 miles. When not on the interstates, the roads that I have picked are suppose to be very scenic. 1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride Icon_bounce

http://tinyurl.com/y66hmwb
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride   1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 8:11 pm

Good luck Jeff! I will be reading this thread also for tips. I will be attempting the SS1000 in early May in the New England Region with a fellow riding buddy from Maine. We are still hammering out the details, and getting our rides sorted from their long winter naps! I too will report back with what I hope to be a successful ride. Hams III was on my short list this year, a ride I really want to make. June booked up fast for me, I am taking a 2 week road (cage) trip to the Keys with the wifey as part of our Silver anniversary...hmmm maybe we should take the Silverwing instead!

**update 4/22/10
Doc says no way are you riding for 24hrs! I'm having back issues and my PT will be ending in a month or so 1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride Icon_mad . Maybe later this year 1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride Icon_silent
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride   1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 6:49 pm

Hi Jeff,

How was the ride? Did you get a little time to stop and see some of the great things along way? 1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride Icon_sunny
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride   1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 6:57 pm

Dennis,

I was going to do this ride but had to drop out. I found some oil on my forks and when I brought it in to the shop I found that I needed a left front fork seal and a new brake pad. I am getting this replaced tomorrow. The pad was saturated with fork oil and the suggested that I not ride it too far. I talked to the guy I was going to ride with and he said it was a good idea not to ride. I didn't want to break down and then ruin his ride too.

But I am going to do this ride very soon. I will take a straight shot up I-5 to Oregon and then back down so I can do all interstate. I can go faster that way.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride   1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1,000 mile Saddle Sore Ride
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: General :: General Chat-
Jump to: