Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New Owner, New Sounds...

Go down 
+2
john grinsel
thecruiser
6 posters
AuthorMessage
thecruiser
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2021-03-16

New Owner, New Sounds... Empty
PostSubject: New Owner, New Sounds...   New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2021 9:32 am

Hi Folks,
I'm a new owner of a 2006 Swing that I bought off a friend that hasn't ridden it in about three years.

I bought the scoot to Ride while we're in Palm Bay, Florida during the winter. We're from Michigan,... which is a good place to be FROM in the winter. I bought the scoot last spring, brought it home (to Michigan) to do all the needed maintenance before taking it to FL.
While here I put on new tires, drive belt and rollers. It had a new battery and I changed all the fluids. While changing fluids I checked the brake-pads and they are all in good shape. I also cleaned the glaze off the clutch pads and 'de-dusted' everything. For 'good measure', I purchased both new panels that go on each side under the foot board. I forget what the correct names for the parts are at the moment.

Our son had a trailer of stuff going to FL in June and there was room for my scoot in it so I even have it down there already and, of course, on a Battery Tender.

I hope there are other Swing or Maxi-scoot riders down there to enjoy riding with.
Larry (thecruiser)
Back to top Go down
thecruiser
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, New Sounds...   New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2021 9:45 am

And then,... I forgot to post the original comment I started this thread for. Shocked
One reason I want to meet others that ride a Swing is to compare 'noises'! Every mach has unique 'sounds' and not having a Swing before, I wanna know if mine sounds abnormal or if I'm just being a worry-wart!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, New Sounds...   New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2021 11:02 am

You should have ridden it to FL.

Near 20 year old machine---if you got it cheap and didn't screw anything up doing maint. Just run it until something blows/breaks. Silverwings with fresh oil/fresh belt are very reliable. I had 2 new ones for over 90,000 miles....never walked. In order, they work.
Back to top Go down
thecruiser
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, New Sounds...   New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2021 11:23 am

I don't THINK I screwed anything up John but who knows. There are weird sounds that are normal and there are weird sounds that may be from something self destructing. Being new to Swings it would be nice to be able to 'compare' with another scoot.

As far as riding it to FL, if I DID do something wrong, I'd hate to have gotten 1/2 way there and have a break down.
Back to top Go down
thecruiser
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, New Sounds...   New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2021 11:43 am

john grinsel wrote:
You should have ridden it to FL.

Near 20 year old machine---if you got it cheap and didn't screw anything up doing maint.   Just run it until something blows/breaks.  Silverwings with fresh oil/fresh belt are very reliable.  I had 2 new ones for over 90,000 miles....never walked.   In order, they work.

John, I was wondering how many miles I could expect out of a Swing. Your 90,000 miles,... was that on each of your two Swings or both combined mileage? The one I bought has 41,000 miles. I know you can expect anywhere between 200,000 and 500,000 on a Honda Gold-wing but that's not comparing apples to apples.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, New Sounds...   New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2021 12:02 pm

I trade at 50,000 miles, but I think left alone Silverwing will go 100,000---I just do not want to
monkey with aging machine--- so combined miles with 2 new silverwings---I ride a lot in the past.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, New Sounds...   New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2021 10:52 am

You can always make a video of bike running on centerstand(with phone,etc) walk around it to record sound from different positions, rev it a few times, get the back wheel spinning, etc. Show any possible issue/concers areas, etc. Just make sure the bike is on stable surface and back wheel is off ground and clear. Sound quality is a must, for general safety reasons, cover your plate and don't reveal location, etc.

Load on to YouTube, is free.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, New Sounds...   New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2021 1:05 am

Hi thecruiser.
Sometimes when I'm bored in the summer I'll take a ride up to Garrison, MN which is about 60 miles away from home just for a cup of coffee. It's up by Mille Lacs Lake which is a pretty big "puddle". I did that one time last summer and was at the gas station filling up my SWing trike when these two other SWings came riding over to me. We shot the Bull for a while back and forth. One of their SWings had over 85,000 miles and the other one had only about 73,000. I forget what years they both were, the SWings not the riders... LOL. So, they will last a long time with proper care and upkeep. Also, I don't beat my SWing but I don't really baby it either. I don't try Popping Wheelies with it, although it won't do that anyway, and I don't try to race Crotch Rockets with it but I have no problems getting it up to Interstate speeds in quick time.
My thinking on the SWing is that it's like any other vehicle you own. If you don't take care of your car or pickup it won't last as long as if you do take care of it. Maintenance money is cheaper than new vehicle money if you get my drift. And, I'm a cheap SOB and that plays into it...
New Owner, New Sounds... Coborn40
Back to top Go down
thecruiser
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, New Sounds...   New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2021 2:15 pm

Hello Dale,
A nice lookin' scoot you have there A couple of questions... What kind of box do you have on the back there and is the same drive wheel used on your Swing? (I hesitate to call it a 'trike')

I intend on taking good and feeding of my Swing. I never was one to abuse a machine with poor maintenance.
Back to top Go down
thecruiser
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, New Sounds...   New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2021 4:14 pm

WOW, Expensive buggers, aren't they!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, New Sounds...   New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2021 4:25 pm

Yes, but they are top-quality and will last a lifetime; worth every penny.
Back to top Go down
thecruiser
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, New Sounds...   New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2021 4:34 pm

I don't have a lifetime left! LOL
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, New Sounds...   New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2021 9:10 pm

thecruiser wrote:
Hello Dale,
A nice lookin' scoot you have there A couple of questions... What kind of box do you have on the back there and is the same drive wheel used on your Swing? (I hesitate to call it a 'trike')

I intend on taking good and feeding of my Swing. I never was one to abuse a machine with poor maintenance.

Hi thecruiser, The original back wheel came off and the trike kit is only two back wheels. And yes, it is a trike because it only has 3 wheels and not 4 like some trike kits have.
The top box is a GIVI and looks like this:
https://giviusa.com/collections/monokey-cases/products/v40na-40ltr-monokey-matte-black-case
They have a variety of different topboxes of different size and price. They do work very nicely.
Back to top Go down
thecruiser
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, New Sounds...   New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2021 6:34 am

Your scoot is interesting Dale. I was wondering if the original drive wheel was still in place or not. I'd like to see the mechanics of what drives it.

I've looked online at a few boxes for the rear and surmised the Givi is one of the better quality units, although extremely expensive. I see mounting plates available too. I take it they don't come with the box. I'd think for the price they would. The only boxes that I've seen 'in-person' at a scooter store were much cheaper in price (around $100) but naturally cheaper in quality too.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, New Sounds...   New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2021 8:02 am

Nothing wrong with Shad top cases. Not as expensive as Givi but pretty good quality nevertheless.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, New Sounds...   New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2021 10:07 am

Givi stuff very good, my E-46 box made 1998 has over 500,000 miles---still works, new box comes with plate, there are two types, monokey or monolock---monolock better----for SilverWing, Givi rack is nice, that way box can be removed by pushing hard buttom
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, New Sounds...   New Owner, New Sounds... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Owner, New Sounds...
Page 1 of 1