Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What were they thinking?
Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeby Marvincon Today at 4:49 am

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» Earth cable stress
Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Swing windscreen

Go down 
+6
Davetech
Dutch SilverWing
Mike from NS
smellybeard
JamieB
john grinsel
10 posters
AuthorMessage

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2021 2:21 pm

HI everyone. I am interested in a bigger screen for my 2011 Swing600, or can anyone recommend a wind deflector to fit my screen.

Any info on dealers UK etc, would be very welcome.

Thanks Fireman.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2021 3:37 pm

Givi adjustable works best
Back to top Go down

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2021 1:44 am

HI John. Many thanks. Fireman.
Back to top Go down
JamieB
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JamieB

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2021 4:51 am

Hi Fireman,

As John mentions, the Givi adjustable is a superior screen you can fine tune to your requirements.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2021 5:53 am

The Givi isn't quite as tall at it's highest as the original is and not quite as comfortable for me but it's very nearly as good when it's well below my eye line - unlike the fuzzy old 2004 original. The little flips down at the handlebars work extremely well, keeping the draught off hands. I think that the deflector design works more as you go faster and seems to compensate for the increased wind automagically.

The other thing about the Givi is that they seem to be dropping in price. I got one from Italy recently for less than 100€ - including delivery.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 1:40 pm

Fireman,
I went with the standard fixed Givi when I upgraded from the stock windshield.   It works well for me, and is a huge improvement over Honda's standard screen for the Silverwing.

smellybeard,
Where is home in Ireland?  I visited NI in 1997 with some friends and had a great time,( I was going to say we had a "blast" but that would have been a poor choice of words.)  Then the same group visited Ireland a couple of years later with a trip included to Scotland at the same time.  My wife and I didn't make the second trip but hear their visit to Dublin and the River Liffey etc was beyond wonderful.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Dutch SilverWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dutch SilverWing

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2020-07-16

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 10:19 am

I also have the standard fixed Givi with the support set. I hope you got these, for just a couple of dollars you save your front connection.
Learning from previeus experiences I can only and strongly advice to buy these.
If I'm correct it's the D214 Kit
Here is the Givi URL; Givi D214 Kit

I could save my fearing just in time!
It also makes the screen less flexible on windy days.

Greetings from The Netherlands

Swing windscreen D214ki10

Swing windscreen Screen10
Swing windscreen Fbc1f710
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 12:30 pm

Mike from NS wrote:

Where is home in Ireland?  I visited NI in 1997 with some friends and had a great time,( I was going to say we had a "blast" but that would have been a poor choice of words.)  Then the same group visited Ireland a couple of years later with a trip included to Scotland at the same time.  My wife and I didn't make the second trip but hear their visit to Dublin and the River Liffey etc was beyond wonderful.
Dublin. A little green spot between the suburbs of Clonsilla and Lucan.
I think I was probably living in NI when you visited - Derry.
Back to top Go down

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2021 1:23 am

Thanks Dutch. You be safe out there ae well.

Fireman.
Back to top Go down
Davetech
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davetech

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2020-07-08

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2021 5:17 am

I just ordered a Givi 214DT and D214KIT from Webmoto (https://www.webmoto.it/gb/).
Initially the KIT wasn't on the website, but was advertised as part of a package on eBay.
I don't like to use eBay so emailed them direct.
20 minutes later, email responded to, part was added to website and order placed - refreshingly superb customer service.
All in all, including tax and DHL delivery (should be 3-5 days), £105.

Hope it's easy to fit.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2021 5:22 am

Including brexit VAT?
Back to top Go down
Davetech
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davetech

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2021 5:32 am

Question Yet to find out - I'll post back if it all goes pear shaped.
Back to top Go down
Davetech
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davetech

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2021 9:44 am

Got it yesterday. Fitted it today (including the strengthening kit).
Happy to report no extras to pay.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2021 9:48 am

Excellent! Good news! Smile
Back to top Go down
Davetech
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davetech

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2021 3:51 am

That was interesting.
Driving to work this morning - now that I have to look through the higher screen, there was some light fog/mist and my screen fogged up.
It didn't clear and I almost had to stand up to look over the top.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2021 4:21 am

I hope rain clears off it quickly.
I found it impossible to drive at night in rain with the original honda screen. Driving towards the low sun was an issue too.

We've five months of it ahead of us. I don't think people in the rest of the world appreciate how dark and wet it gets in these parts and for so much of the time. I remember pointing out to workmates at a radar station in northern Labrador that my home was at the same latitude.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2021 4:25 am

You're not the only one to find the GIvi 214 DT too tall, as there's topics on here about cutting a few inches off one to see over it not through it.

I had a 2005 Burgman 400 with the standard useless OE screen, so I ordered a taller Biondi screen from Italy. That was borderline too high, OK in daylight looking through it but no so good and potentially hazardous in heavy rain or at night.

Rather than faff about cutting it down and possibly cocking it up, I raised my seat height by adding a couple of layers of foam sleeping mat to the base of my Airhawk cushion, and that worked fine.

I sold the 400 Burgman to buy a 650 Burgman, and I had to change the OE screen for a taller Secdem screen.

Many years later, I still have that Secdem and the 400's OE screen cluttering up my shed.
Back to top Go down
Dutch SilverWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dutch SilverWing

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2020-07-16

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2021 4:38 am

I use Rainex or I wax my screen. No more problems with rain drops bluring my vision trough the screen on the road. Oké I normaly avoid riding in the dark of try to avoid.
Back to top Go down
Davetech
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davetech

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2021 5:17 am

I was going to ask if anyone had tried Rain-X. Reckon I'll try that next.
This wasn't rain this morning - just morning mist. I only commuted 5 miles and it was fairly opaque by the time I got to work.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2021 1:24 pm

Looking through the windscreen when it is fogged up or raining is a very dangerous practice and should be avoided at all costs.

Small aircraft pilots share some of the same issues we have regarding protecting their windscreens from insect smears, condensation, water beading, anti-staticing and of course, cleanliness of their windscreens.

A favorite product to use in that circle is Plexus which I rate as an "A". I've used it for over 15 years now and it works great. However it is getting increasingly expensive. I've tried cheaper options like household Pledge which do not work as well and I rate a "B-". Pledge works OK but it certainly is not up to Plexus' standards and seems to leave too much of a film once you're done using it.

Currently I'm experimenting with a Plexus knock off/competitive product called Plexo made by Castle. It is half the price of Plexus but not quite as good IMO. It is a bit more "runny" out of the can, doesn't seem to clean up the bug guts as easily and takes a bit to polish the fine film all these products leave behind. I haven't had any experience observing its condensation or bead forming properties. So far it seems to do a decent anti-staticing (non dust attracting) job. I rate it a "B+" as compared to Plexus' "A".

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2021 8:21 am

I've got three 13oz cans of Plexus knocking about in my garage. The original I bought from the States back in the Nineties to use on my Helix's plastics and the can is still about a quarter full. The other two cans I picked up very cheaply off the bargain shelf of a Lakeland store over here a few years later. They'd promoted it for a season with their cleaning products and it didn’t sell.

I've just had a look on eBay and the current price of a can of Plexus from US sellers plus postage is ridiculously expensive. So I'm glad I've got more than I'll ever use.

All I use Plastex for is the twice a year anti-static polish of the scooters paint work after a wash and blow dry, and it's miles better than Pledge and similar household products. 

As I've got plenty of the stuff, I might now use it on my Forza's screen and wind deflectors to remove streaks from the hard water we have in Yorkshire.  If it also makes removing bug splat easier and helps water bead up on the screen even better.
Back to top Go down
Davetech
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davetech

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2021 8:43 am

That's just showing off ;-)
I looked on Amazon and Plexus really is expensive.
Wonder how this compares: https://bigwhitebox.co.uk/product/vuplex-plastic-cleaner-anti-static-polish-375g-445ml/
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2021 10:17 am

Meldrew wrote:
... snipped ... All I use Plastex for is the twice a year anti-static polish of the scooters paint work after a wash and blow dry, and it's miles better than Pledge and similar household products. 

Meldrew, those Plexus cans you have are like liquid gold ... lucky you.  I think you'll be pleased how well they work on your windscreen.  Regarding the above quote, I assume you meant Plexus not Plastex?  I Goodled "Plastex" and over here on this side of the pond, it is a product used for plastic repairs (Previously, I used a similar product called Plast-Aid for panel and tab repairs).
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2021 10:37 am

Sounds like you guys are lucky with the moisture or rain. We here in California have a daily ritual, we must do before starting our day.
We get down on our knees and pray to the rain God and then do a little dance.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2021 11:15 am

If you can see the mountains where I live it means it's going to rain.
If you can't see them, it's already raining.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2021 11:28 am

smellybeard wrote:
If you can see the mountains where I live it means it's going to rain. If you can't see them, it's already raining.

Now that's funny! Laughing
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2021 3:34 pm

Funny is relative.
I stopped in Cunnamulla, Queensland when I was in Australia. I got chatting to teenagers on their way home from school who took an interest in my bike - a 1946 350cc BSA. None of them had ever seen rain.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Swing windscreen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing windscreen   Swing windscreen I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Swing windscreen
Page 1 of 1