Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Pgm fi trouble

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mossae
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2021-05-09

Pgm fi trouble  Empty
PostSubject: Pgm fi trouble    Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2021 7:17 pm

Hi folks. I own a Honda silverwing fjs 600 2002 mod, and my pgm fi indicator is lighting up causing my bike to choke as it seems, and eventually turning off. Does anyone know how to fix this? Much appreciated if you could give me some insight and/or tips
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Pgm fi trouble  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pgm fi trouble    Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2021 5:14 am

A good start would be to be polite and introduce yourself to the forum first instead of pitching in with your PGM-FI problems.

You do know that the malfunction light denotes failure codes in the number of blinks from 0 to 33. As an example an indicator illumination of 1.3 seconds is equivalent to 10 blinks, and shorter blinks of 0.5 seconds a single blink. Counting the blinks reveals the causes and symptoms.

I'm no tech guru, I just had the Factory Service Manual handy. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mossae
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Pgm fi trouble  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pgm fi trouble    Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2021 6:43 am

Hello folks. My name is Mossa from Oslo, Norway. I'm new here to the forum and thanks for letting me join. I own a Honda silverwing fjs 600 2002 mod, and my pgm fi indicator is lighting up causing my bike to choke as it seems, and eventually turning off. Does anyone know how to fix this? Much appreciated if you could give me some insight and/or tips.
Back to top Go down
Mossae
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Pgm fi trouble  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pgm fi trouble    Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2021 6:51 am

Thank you so much @Meldrew. And apologize for my rudeness.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Pgm fi trouble  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pgm fi trouble    Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2021 7:36 am

Mossae wrote:

You're not being rude, the good folks on here just like to know a bit about you and your scooter first.

I'm going out for a cycle ride now, and I've just had another look at the FSM. The chapter is large and comprehensive, and at first glance there's nothing I can see about the engine starting and then stopping.

Although there is a line or two at the start about contaminated or degraded fuel. Have you considered that months of winter storage might have affected the fuel in the Silver Wing. Which is a bit cheeky saying that to someone from a Scandinavian country where your winters are more severe than here in the UK.

Anyway you need to time the malfunction light, and I'm sure someone from over the other side of the Pond will recommend you tip a can of Seafoam into the tank. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mossae
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Pgm fi trouble  Empty
PostSubject: Pgm fi trouble    Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2021 5:03 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Mossae wrote:

You're not being rude, the good folks on here just like to know a bit about you and your scooter first.

I'm going out for a cycle ride now, and I've just had another look at the FSM. The chapter is large and comprehensive, and at first glance there's nothing I can see about the engine starting and then stopping.

Although there is a line or two at the start about contaminated or degraded fuel. Have you considered that months of winter storage might have affected the fuel in the Silver Wing. Which is a bit cheeky saying that to someone from a Scandinavian country where your winters are more severe than here in the UK.

Anyway you need to time the malfunction light, and I'm sure someone from over the other side of the Pond will recommend you tip a can of Seafoam into the tank. Smile

I made a short video of me trying to capture the light on pgm-fi, but I can't upload it here. Is there a way for me to send the clip to you, and you can have a look at it and tell me what you think could be the case?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Pgm fi trouble  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pgm fi trouble    Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2021 5:24 pm

While I do sympathise with your fuel injection problems, from past experiences my Preferences have long been set not to receive any personal messages or emails from forum members.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2020-12-26

Pgm fi trouble  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pgm fi trouble    Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2021 6:19 pm

" I made a short video of me trying to capture the light on pgm-fi, but I can't upload it here. Is there a way for me to send the clip to you, and you can have a look at it and tell me what you think could be the case? "

Just upload "your best" video of issue to youtube and post link, fairly simple process, most secure way and more viewers, more possibilities of opinions and/or a possible fix. I Kinda concur with "Meldrew" you have to be vigilant nowdays !!
Back to top Go down
Mossae
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Pgm fi trouble  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pgm fi trouble    Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2021 6:55 am

That is true. Way better this way. Here's the link and let me know if you find out anything
🙏. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/C_48BJBkNL8?feature=share
Back to top Go down
Mossae
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Pgm fi trouble  Empty
PostSubject: Pgm fi trouble video    Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2021 7:00 am

Hi folks, I've just posted a video on YouTube about my fuel issue with my silverwing. If anyone has any type or form of experience in dealing with this issue, please comment in the comments for the video. The lamp that is lighting up is the pgm-fi lamp.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/C_48BJBkNL8?feature=share
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2020-12-26

Pgm fi trouble  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pgm fi trouble    Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2021 6:56 pm

Let me just say in my limited experience with the SW600 and all my research, etc. there's no common/outstanding issues with the bikes fuel injection, although sporadic in tank fuel pump and fuel pressure regulators failures are not uncommon, if the bike is dying because is flooded with fuel it could be the fuel pressure regulator ??, the regulator issue also affects other Honda models and is very similar part, Google search on it or https://youtu.be/N9Jd9teawpI

The light comming as bike shuts down, possibly indicates is not a hard PGM/FI fault ??, KIM that it's very hard to diagnose a "possible" electrical problem even in a professional shop with vehicle in front of you. Not knowing your mechanical skills or bikes history kinda makes hard to recommend a fix also.
IAC having the shop manual is a must for any repair. More info could help !!
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Pgm fi trouble  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pgm fi trouble    Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2021 8:56 pm

What happens when you try and open the throttle slowly? Does it rev. up or just shut off or surge a little? You were snapping throttle quickly and it stalled?. How does it idle okay? Seems to start okay.

You have to check for codes 2 pin connector Service check connector under the left upper side panel. near ECU.
No fancy tools needed just some wire to jump it. Page 5-6 in service manual. Jump it and turn key on codes will flash on engine light if any do a little searching it's out there.

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Pgm fi trouble  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pgm fi trouble    Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2021 2:35 am

The section in the Service Manual on Programmed Fuel Injection is pretty comprehensive and detailed. So if you want to diagnose and fix a malfunction yourself at home you're going to need a manual.

What Mech 1 twa has already said applies, but if you're going to go digging around in there with components and parts you're unfamiliar with, the manuals drawings and diagrams illustrate them clearly

Uploading useful text and diagrams from the Service Manual to here isn't allowed because of copyright.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Pgm fi trouble  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pgm fi trouble    Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2021 10:17 am

Here’s copy of the FSM page for accessing the FI self diagnostics.

Pgm fi trouble  0dc89210

Self-Diagnostic Procedure

Scooter on center stand.

Start engine and let idle.

If engine will not start, turn the starter motor for 
more than 10 seconds and check that the MIL (FI) blinks.

If malfunction indicator light (MIL) does not light 
or blink, the system has no self-diagnosis memory data.

If the MIL blinks, note how many times the MIL blinks, and determine the cause of the problem (page 5-16 through 5-43 of FSM).

Also noted in the FSM

If you wish to read the PGM-FI self-diagnosis memory date perform the following:

Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
Remove the left side body cover.
Short the PGM-FI service check connector terminals using a jumper wire.
Turn the ignition switch to ON and the engine stop switch to RUN.
Note how many times the MIL blinks and determine the cause of the problem 
(page 5-16 through 5-43 of FSM).
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Pgm fi trouble  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pgm fi trouble    Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2021 2:57 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Here’s copy of the FSM page for accessing the FI self diagnostics.

Note how many times the MIL blinks and determine the cause of the problem 
(page 5-16 through 5-43 of FSM).

... and if you haven't got a FSM? scratch
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Pgm fi trouble  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pgm fi trouble    Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2021 3:58 pm

Oops... Thanks Meldrew.

Count the blinks then report back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pgm fi trouble  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pgm fi trouble    Pgm fi trouble  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pgm fi trouble
Page 1 of 1