Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Coolant change I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:19 am

» New to Me Swing
Coolant change I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Coolant change I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Coolant change I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Coolant change I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Coolant change I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Coolant change I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Coolant change I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Coolant change I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Coolant change I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Coolant change

Go down 
+3
Cosmic_Jumper
Loosemarbles
oldwingguy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Coolant change Empty
PostSubject: Coolant change   Coolant change I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2021 9:18 am

Just a hmmmmmm on my part, to drain it's on the side stand, to fill it's on the center stand, why not drain then fill on the center stand like an oil change or final drive? Yes I do have an idea to try but lets hear your thought.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Coolant change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant change   Coolant change I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2021 10:05 am

As it happens, I will doing a coolant change soon and I suspect that having the bike on the side stand would help drain the coolant as the hole is on left side of the engine, gravity and all that.

I'll certainly go along with Honda's recommendation.

Other thoughts also welcome.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Coolant change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant change   Coolant change I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2021 10:29 am

I’m more concerned about burping the baby. I’ve even considered removing the Coolant Temp Sensor to let the bubble out. The CTS seems is located at the top of coolant plumbing at the left side of the bike —under the seat undercover.

Whaddya think?
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Coolant change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant change   Coolant change I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2021 11:11 am

Smile well I'm about to find out, I'm going to drain on the center stand. After that has finished dripping I will apply LIGHT PRESSURE at the fill point to see what if any more of the fluid comes out.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Coolant change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant change   Coolant change I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2021 12:41 pm

Once you've done that, put the bike on the side stand and see if any more comes out of the drain hole...I'm curious.

Go on..do it...you know you want to Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2020-12-26

Coolant change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant change   Coolant change I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2021 5:05 pm

I recently drained and refilled, did it twice to fully remove/flush out old coolant (on centerstand because you can start bike), yes I know a gallon is not enough for twice  Mad but 2 is enough for 3 times Shocked, IAC you should really recheck coolant after a full heat/cool cycle with the cap on to build pressure and check for leaks, the SSM procedure is lacking in my opinion, the good thing is that the radiator cap and overflow tank are at highest point of system, really helps with self bleeding air out, kinda like newer cars.
Back to top Go down
Salth2ofish
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2021-05-01

Coolant change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant change   Coolant change I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2021 9:39 am

I just did the drain and fill on mine. Did it on center stand . Really because I forgot to lean it over, but I think it’s ok. I did rev it like manual says to burp it, until no more bubbles. Only concern is now I have a faint coolant smell. I did spill some though. I don’t see any leaks afte 40 miles and several rides , so should be good. Temp is running right in the middle as before.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Coolant change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant change   Coolant change I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2021 2:09 pm

I'm about to do a coolant and thermostat change and Tim's comments above about 'burping the baby' is an interesting point.

After my last coolant change I had the engine boil over in traffic on a very hot day, trapped air being the cause. No damage done, but this time I want to make sure I get it right.

If the Coolant Temp Censor is easy enough to access, I'll give it a go.

Has anybody else tried this?
Back to top Go down
Craftbike
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2022-05-28

Coolant change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant change   Coolant change I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 1:45 pm

Hi, another coolant query….
How much do you fill the filler neck? I’ve emptied, refilled and now when I warm it up (filler cap off) it keeps burping and spilling over. I’ve done two cycles and this is still occurring (fill neck, run ‘till fan comes on).
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Coolant change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant change   Coolant change I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 2:34 pm

The only 'hacks' which I learned when refilling the system are:

Be patient when pouring in the coolant, take it slowly. Also, stop occasionally and 'tllt' the bike over 'left and right', as much as you dare; don't drop it!

It's worth rocking the bike backwards and forwards on the brakes before putting the caps on.

I believe it's easy to create an air lock because of the SWs plumbing layout.
Back to top Go down
Craftbike
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2022-05-28

Coolant change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant change   Coolant change I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2024 4:09 am

Loosemarbles wrote:

The only 'hacks' which I learned when refilling the system are:

Be patient when pouring in the coolant, take it slowly. Also, stop occasionally and 'tllt' the bike over 'left and right', as much as you dare; don't drop it!

It's worth rocking the bike backwards and forwards on the brakes before putting the caps on.

I believe it's easy to create an air lock because of the SWs plumbing layout.

Thanks, I did another run through but didn't bother rocking/shaking (did it all on the centrestand). Will give it one more 'rock' tomorrow and then give it a test run.

Back to top Go down
ezed1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ezed1

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2023-07-28

Coolant change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant change   Coolant change I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 9:15 am

I did mines yesterday , I just followed the instructions in the manual the only thing I did different was I let the bike sit over night , in the morning popped the cap topped it off and started it up let it run for 3min cap off popped the throttle 3quick times saw some bobbles popped the throttle 3 more times no bobbles fluid dropped slightly then I put the cap back on , My temp gauge stayed at the third mark level but haven’t road anywhere yet
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Coolant change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant change   Coolant change I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coolant change
Page 1 of 1