Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 15:55

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 11:47

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 11:43

» May 2024 forum picture
Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 11:41

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 11:28

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 10:15

» LF extended back rest
Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Today at 01:54

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 17:54

» Drive belt prices
Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 10:26

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 02:15

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Warning lights coming on

Go down 
+4
bweighmaster
Dale N.
Cosmic_Jumper
Loosemarbles
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Warning lights coming on Empty
PostSubject: Warning lights coming on   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeMon 23 Nov 2020, 20:21

A few weeks ago I noticed that when starting up my SW the ‘V’ came on when I pressed the starter button but as soon as the engine fired up it went out.

Yesterday, when I turned on the ignition switch all the usual lights came on and all relevant ones went out once the buzzing noise stopped, but when I pressed the starter switch the Water light, along with the ‘V’ light and ‘FI’ came on until the engine fired up and all the lights went out.

I have only seen the ‘V’ light come on at 16,000 and 32,000 miles. Normal. (I always change my belt before its time is up).

The only change I have made to the factory fitted wiring is the LED brake lights on my top box which I tapped into the brake light wire at the back end.

Electrics are my weak suit when it comes to bike DIY. Does anybody have any idea why these other lights are coming on momentarily?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Warning lights coming on   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2020, 01:20

I always thought that the system did a self test sweep of all the indicator lights and fuel gauge when the key was first turned ON. Then the “V” light remained ON until the motor started. But you have a 2001 model so I could be wrong.

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Tue 24 Nov 2020, 02:14; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Warning lights coming on   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2020, 02:07

I agree with Tim. When starting it up it goes through a "system check" so to speak. My 08 SWing does that also. My 2006 pickup does that also. When starting it ALL the dash lights come on for a second or two then go out as long as everything it OK.
Back to top Go down
bweighmaster
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2020-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Warning lights coming on   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2020, 04:48

If V light stays on , it needs to be re set . It is programmed to send a message to check belt . It is Not a warning light , just a reminder light ....
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Warning lights coming on   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2020, 07:21

I ran my Swing with no working alternator for a few months, running completely off a charged battery. I had a couple of instances arriving back home on the last few joules in the battery when the low voltage caused a few dash lights to come on, I do recall the high water temp and low oil pressure lights illuminating while the engine was still just running. So any unusual dash light action could be from a low battery voltage at that point.
Back to top Go down
bweighmaster
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Warning lights coming on   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2020, 08:19

This means the computer has been sent false signals by the sensors .. Installing a new battery and having the system re set is in order ...
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Warning lights coming on   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2020, 09:17

All the lights should illuminate as part of the startup process so you know they work but I guess you know that and what your are saying is they are doing something new, different and exciting!
Firstly disconnect what you connected first to see if thats the culprit. Along with switching it off and on again this is the limit of my knowledge of electrickery.
The V light should only stay on 1) at 16k to remind you to change the belt, and 2) if its detected a disparity in the drive train that the ECU interprets as a slipping belt (even if it isn't).
Back to top Go down
bweighmaster
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Warning lights coming on   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2020, 09:27

The V light comes on automaticly at 16 K intervals as a reminder only .. there are No sensors to indicate a belt problem Even if the belt breaks there are no indicators to tell the system there is a problem .. It is just a reminder light only .....
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Warning lights coming on   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2020, 12:03

steve_h80 wrote:
All the lights should illuminate as part of the startup process so you know they work [snip]
The V light should only stay on 1) at 16k to remind you to change the belt, and 2) if its detected a disparity in the drive train that the ECU interprets as a slipping belt (even if it isn't).

+1 to what steve_h80 says here. The “V” light is more than “just a reminder...” as many who’ve upgraded the variator with lighter roller/slider weights or a JCosta-type variator have found out. Not a matter of, too much, concern though if you know your scoot. 

But if you’re using a bargain priced aftermarket belt and the “V” light comes on prematurely then you might want to exercise due diligence.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Warning lights coming on   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2020, 13:33

Thanks all. The battery is about 5 years old and it's a nil-maintenance gel type. I keep a battery tender attached if the bike is left for any length of time. It could be time for a change though.

On my 2001 all the lights go out after the system check apart from the oil light.

I have had 26g rollers for the last 5 years...(soon to be changed to 26g sliders)...so that could be the V light culprit.

I'll keep an eye on things and I bet when I check it this afternoon it will all work fine! Intermittent faults? GRRRRRRR!
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Warning lights coming on   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2020, 15:17

Loosemarbles
You might have a point about the battery, on other bikes I've had the assorted lights flash if the engine hasn't fired due to the battery been on its way out.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Warning lights coming on   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2020, 15:28

bweighmaster wrote:
The V light comes on automaticly at 16 K intervals as a reminder only .. there are No sensors to indicate a belt problem Even if the belt breaks there are no indicators to tell the system there is a problem .. It is just a reminder light only .....

There isn't a sensor as such but there is the speedo that reads off the back wheel which gives one set of data to the ECU, the engine revs the other. Deep in its little silicon brain the ECU compares the two and the expected range each will be in as the CVT does its thing. If the belt or clutch slips badly these go outside the expected parameters and the V light comes on as a warning. When we mess about with weights and/or clutches we also go outside these parameters which confuses the ECU.

I have 25g sliders and regularly ride with alacrity, two up, in lumpy territory so I have regular visits from the V light fairy. The only irritation is having to reset it on a regular basis, so I'm now reliant on my maintenance records for the next belt change 🙂
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Warning lights coming on   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2020, 17:28

Well, as expected I went out this afternoon and all the lights worked as advertised. No problems.

Now that I think about it, this latest issue happened after the bike had been standing in the garage for about 6 days. Thinks......"was the battery discharging during that time"?

My SW never goes more than 2 or 3 days without a journey for some reason or other. Thinks..."not long enough for the battery to start discharging"?

Having learned more from the above I'll see whether my upcoming jobs will narrow things down.

1. New Dr Pulley Sliders and Sliding Pieces.

2. Have a good old Butcher's Hook at the pulleys and belt and also take a peek at the clutch drum and shoes.

3. Clean everything to within a micron of it's life.

If the problem reoccurs, new battery. I'll this topic with my findings Sleep

Back to top Go down
bweighmaster
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Disagree does'nt work like that . Nice train of thought though ..... It's a Reminder .. Only ...   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2020, 18:46

steve_h80 wrote:
bweighmaster wrote:

There isn't a sensor as such but there is the speedo that reads off the back wheel which gives one set of data to the ECU, the engine revs the other. Deep in its little silicon brain the ECU compares the two and the expected range each will be in as the CVT does its thing. If the belt or clutch slips badly these go outside the expected parameters and the V light comes on as a warning. When we mess about with weights and/or clutches we also go outside these parameters which confuses the ECU.

I have 25g sliders and regularly ride with alacrity, two up, in lumpy territory so I have regular visits from the V light fairy. The only irritation is having to reset it on a regular basis, so I'm now reliant on my maintenance records for the next belt change 🙂
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Warning lights coming on   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2020, 19:38

Being just a reminder we would only see it at 16,000...32,000 miles? Connected to the odometer? I've only ever seen this light at those intervals so how can it come on intermittently?

Maybe there is a different ECU configuration with ages of SW. I have not been able to locate a service manual for the 2001 model and begin to wonder whether it was a prototype !!!...in which case I'm a development engineer....yay! I must remember to make sure Honda send me my fees. scratch

I wouldn't be surprised to find that my ECU is the size of a brick and has a floppy disk drive.
Back to top Go down
bweighmaster
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Warning lights coming on   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2020, 19:43

Only a reminder light .....
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Warning lights coming on   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2020, 23:16

Now that I think about it, this latest issue happened after the bike had been standing in the garage for about 6 days. Thinks......"was the battery discharging during that time"? <<>> if it's not charging it's discharging, put a good voltmeter on it and you will see. If you were closer I let you use my Battery Bug, a neat little tool to have.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Warning lights coming on   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeThu 26 Nov 2020, 10:12

Loosemarbles wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised to find that my ECU is the size of a brick and has a floppy disk drive.

Ah, that means you've got one of the modern ones - mine uses punch cards.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Warning lights coming on   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeThu 26 Nov 2020, 14:20

Loosemarbles wrote:

Maybe there is a different ECU configuration with ages of SW. I have not been able to locate a service manual for the 2001 model and begin to wonder whether it was a prototype !!!...

No deffo not a prototype bud, I also had a 2001 model  Smile

If it helps, the sensor has 3 wires :-
Green/Black goes to a common earth (on frame)
Brown/Black goes to a common live feed from 10 amp middle fuse front box
Pink/Green  goes to terminal 17 on ECM, and VSP terminal of the meter CPU.

The link from the main ECM (terminal 5) to meter CPU is Pink/Orange.
There is no colour code for the wire from the meter CPU to the warning light, but presumably is Pink/Orange ?

So the 'clever stuff' happens in both main ECM & meter CPU, not only recording milage but also sensing any disparity between the preprogrammed relationship of engine rev's to road speed (belt slip,etc).

Can you tell I have a 2001 shop manual bud Wink study
Back to top Go down
bweighmaster
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Warning lights coming on   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeThu 26 Nov 2020, 17:31

Sorry , wrong .. ECU does not think ..
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Warning lights coming on   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeThu 26 Nov 2020, 19:49

bweighmaster wrote:
Sorry ,   wrong ..   ECU  does not think ..  

Really, gotta wonder what they are therefore then bud ???? please enlighten me what happens within the 'silicone brain'
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Warning lights coming on   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeThu 26 Nov 2020, 20:30

The Bern's comments might reflect the V light issue and I'm getting to understand how that would work.

Lots of food for thought here. I'm convinced that the ECU has a great influence on proceedings.

From which planet did you acquire a 2001 manual?
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Warning lights coming on   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeThu 26 Nov 2020, 20:57

Loosemarbles wrote:

From which planet did you acquire a 2001 manual?

Got it a while back from a Honda dealer bud, if you'd like to bid me on it (plus postage) with proceeds going to my local air ambulance, please do.
Near perfect condition, small tear to front cover (lower left corner) & a couple of notes inside & outside of rear cover, no greasey fingerprints on pages.

Available new here ... https://www.cmsnl.com/products/fjs6001_62mct00/#.X8AZwbOnzv8 .... obviously not execting that sort of money bud.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Warning lights coming on   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitimeWed 02 Dec 2020, 18:20

Just as an update, the warning lights came on again today (the bike ran yesterday) and I 'think' that they came on as I pressed the starter switch, then went off in after a second.

I've got the battery tender in operation now Idea
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warning lights coming on   Warning lights coming on I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Warning lights coming on
Page 1 of 1