Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:41 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:35 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» LF extended back rest
Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Slip, shudder, whoosh.

Go down 
+3
Terry Smith
steve_h80
smellybeard
7 posters
AuthorMessage
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

Slip, shudder, whoosh. Empty
PostSubject: Slip, shudder, whoosh.   Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2020 11:53 am

I'm fairly new to scooters in general and I don't know the different messages my SW is telling me.

At take off, the clutch (or belt or whatever) is slipping for a bit longer than it used to. As whatever it is reaches 20-30km/h there's a shudder through my old creaky plastics and it grips up and drives properly. There doesn't appear to be any slip as I give it beans at higher speeds.

I've never liked the action of the clutch; it needs too much engine speed to engage and when slowing, it cuts at too high a speed. Low speed manoeuvrability really suffers.

Edit: There's about 45,000 miles on it and I see no mention of a clutch in the service history. Belt is less than 5,000 miles old.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Slip, shudder, whoosh.   Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2020 12:57 pm

First things first, take the clutch apart for a look-see. It might just want a clean and sanding of the shoes or it might need a full strip clean. If none of that works you might be into the dark arts of spring weights and stuff... but I'd bet it just needs a clean.
What speed is the clutch dropping out? Mine is about 10mph on a closed throttle, so for slow speed stuff its balancing rear brake and throttle to keep things balanced.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Slip, shudder, whoosh.   Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2020 1:37 pm

steve_h80 wrote:
First things first, take the clutch apart for a look-see.
I'm a 'never do today what you can put off til tomorrow' sort of mechanic. I'd rather not get into the gubbins of anything unless I think something really bad might happen. I've a Ducati Pantah asunder in the workshop and I'd rather not have another bike opened up unless it needs it now.

This is more of a 'do I need to plan for a clutch job' enquiry. Is this what they behave like as they begin to go?

Clutch is dropping out at up to 20 mph but usually 12-15. I prefer to look inept than trail the back brake. That technique doesn't make enough difference to seem worth it to me.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Slip, shudder, whoosh.   Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2020 6:42 pm

You could try an "Italian" tune-up. Hold the brakes on and give it some revs for a few seconds, that will start the clutch engaging and you will heat up the shoes and (maybe) burn off any glaze there. When you get that familiar hot brake shoes smell you (and your clutch) will be done.

It certainly does sound like your clutch needs a little love; if you have a variator holder and some sockets, it's one bolt to pull the belt off then the clutch is out with one more bolt. Maybe your clutch shoe pivots are stiff and not opening out to engage nicely as they should. Or the shoes may have not much friction material left, or the surface is glazed over.

(Sorry, Italians!).

’ey, fuggetaboudit
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Slip, shudder, whoosh.   Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2020 12:08 pm

The clutch on my 08 SWing engages and disengages at 2,000 rpms. It doesn't really matter at what speed I'm going but slowing down or taking off it is 2,000 rpms.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Slip, shudder, whoosh.   Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2020 4:01 am

Actually that makes more sense than my statement because the clutch engagement is revs and speed dependent, not just speed.
Except going up Hardnott Pass, or anything equally ludicrous, when there are a lot of revs, much clutch slipping and a lovely, expensive smell!
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Slip, shudder, whoosh.   Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2020 11:56 am

I loaned the SW to a friend for a couple of months while his BMW was out of action and the slip is becoming a problem. I'll be pulling the belt and probably the clutch out in the next couple of weeks. The V-light has come on.

Edit: as an experiment, I'll reset the v-light and see how quickly it re-lights.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Slip, shudder, whoosh.   Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2020 11:23 am

The V-light is a service reminder, not a fault indicator. If you just reset it the light will not come on till the next service is due. It's time for a transmission service. Change the belt (OEM is best), clean and inspect clutch parts and lube the torque driver bearing.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Slip, shudder, whoosh.   Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2020 5:25 pm

sc00ter wrote:
The V-light is a service reminder, not a fault indicator. If you just reset it the light will not come on till the next service is due. It's time for a transmission service. Change the belt (OEM is best), clean and inspect clutch parts and lube the torque driver bearing.

There is plenty of commentary about other behaviour of the v-light on these pages. I thought I'd find out something for myself. Odometer is currently just short of 47k miles - not a service interval that I was aware of. Belt and pulleys replaced about 7000 miles ago.

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Slip, shudder, whoosh.   Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2020 5:37 pm

smellybeard wrote:
(snip)I've never liked the action of the clutch; it needs too much engine speed to engage and when slowing, it cuts at too high a speed. Low speed manoeuvrability really suffers.

If you drag the rear brake while keeping the rpms up you’ll find that it is more manageable at low speeds.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Slip, shudder, whoosh.   Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2020 5:53 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
smellybeard wrote:
(snip)I've never liked the action of the clutch; it needs too much engine speed to engage and when slowing, it cuts at too high a speed. Low speed manoeuvrability really suffers.

If you drag the rear brake while keeping the rpms up you’ll find that it is more manageable at low speeds.

I've tried that technique and dislike it. As I've said above, I'd rather look inept. It's not a nice bike at low speed and putting up with that is part of appreciating a silverwing.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Slip, shudder, whoosh.   Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2021 8:37 am

As I've mentioned elsewhere, my SW spent the winter with a friend who had his R1150 go bad. When I got it back, the yellow light was on on the dash and the nasty clutch action had mellowed dramatically. With the improved clutch and new tires, low speed handling has improved substantially.

I haven't the numbers to hand but the belt is fairly new in it. Maybe the clutch is on the way out but I'm happy for now.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Slip, shudder, whoosh.   Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2021 6:40 pm

Reading thru this whole thread, the input I have is either your clutch/belt is worn and slipping, you have a gearbox oil leak causing belt and/or clutch to slip, either condition won't "self heal", the "V" light wil continue to come on as long as there is slippage in the CVT system, if you have a oil leak and deplete the gearbox, you will do $$$ damage to gears and/or lock up the rear end !!.  Running a slipping clutch for a long time will "Blue" overheat/damage your clutch bell and literally burn the shaft seal, etc., etc., .... = $$$$$. 

You need to take a look, is very easy, several videos on you tube for DIY.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Slip, shudder, whoosh.   Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2021 6:59 pm

zrx212 wrote:
= $$$$$. 
No. It'll go in the bin.
I'm not worried about it. It rides much better than it did when I got it and it's not obviously slipping now. Application of extra power at speed does not provoke any perceptible slip - just the glug, glug, glug sound from the fuel tank and that certainly does = $$$$$ or in my case €€€€€.

Maybe it's the calm before the storm or maybe it needed some hard living to bring it back to life; I don't know. It's a useful bus but it's '04 and too thirsty to enjoy with fuel at €1.50/litre.

Somehow I think somebody's new Intrgra, Forza or X-DAV is waiting to come my way in the next year or so.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slip, shudder, whoosh.   Slip, shudder, whoosh. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Slip, shudder, whoosh.
Page 1 of 1