Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 7:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 9:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:28 pm

» Drive belt prices
Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Using heat from the radiator?

Go down 
+13
Lost it
joebillybobinark
john grinsel
Mech 1 twa
cotetoi
Meldrew
Dale N.
The Bern
dekare
oldwingguy
Cosmic_Jumper
EvilTwin
Grambazz
17 posters
AuthorMessage
Grambazz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2018-10-04

Using heat from the radiator?  Empty
PostSubject: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2019 9:49 pm

I ride as often as I can, even in the winter. As long as it's dry I'm happy!
However, I did have a thought about channelling heat from the radiator to behind the leg shields.
Has anyone had the same idea and worked out if there's a way of redirecting the warm air from the radiator to where it could keep your feet nice and toasty?
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2017-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 12:02 am

Anything is possible, but I think before I did that I would invest in either thermal undergarments or electrically heated clothing. In the summer, what would you do about the excess heat blowing on you?
Back to top Go down
Grambazz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 10:57 am

Fair points! I have all the gear, some of it from when I worked as a motorcycle courier. You soon learn what you need to keep warm doing that job all year round!
It's just a germ of an idea. Cars use engine heat to warm the cabin, so I thought the same principle may be applied to the Swing in some way. I've not really looked carefully at the structure of the bike in the radiator area, but I think I will the next chance I get. If it could be done relatively easily and be made to be opened and closed somehow when necessary it might be a nice little mod. I'm not a great one for fiddling too much, I prefer to spend any spare time riding if conditions allow.
Let's see if anyone has any thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 11:54 am

Hmm... You might remove the tunnel cover and see whether it would be practical to cut in a couple of "vent" ports in the lower front area, which would be close to the radiator. The tunnel cover covers the engine and fuel tank, and the tank sits between the engine and radiator. Not much room there.

Shocked Maserati hood vents?

Tim
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 12:47 pm

From the experience using the GL 1500 Goldwing engineered heating system I can say it's a lesson in futility, anything but a cool day at low speeds the heat dissipates to rapidly. The development of heated gloves and wearing apparel overcame that to some degree. Snowmobile riding gear may be another option.
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 1:06 pm

Kind of defeats in some ways the beauty of the SilverWing. I will ride the Silverwing at times during the summer when it's to hot to ride the GoldWing. I appreciate the fact I don't have warm air at my feet and legs making an already warm day, at least tolerable.
Back to top Go down
Grambazz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 2:44 pm

Good comments. Think I agree with the likely thermal physics of the situation. Probably far too much air movement for any warmth to be effective around your feet and lower legs.
Didn't know about snow mobile gear though - think I'll check that out - always looking for new ways of doing things.
Thanks Guys!
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 2:54 pm

Non electric snowmobile gloves with the retractable thumb feature worked well for me, keeping all the digits together for warmth was nice, if you needed the thumb just curl it back and put it back in the thumb hole. I wore insulated Carhart bibs too, having the chest covered with an extra layer helps core temperature. This newer lighter better insulated gear is wayyyyyyyyyy better than we had back when. Wishing now I had my pair of flight deck boots with the felt inner sole and felt booties.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 5:25 pm

Have a look at a Maxsym 600 bud, they come with a heat vent in the floor (which can be closed in good weather) it might give you an idea of how/where to run ducts & maybe an easy way to get an appropriate vent
Back to top Go down
Grambazz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 5:34 pm

Interesting! It seems then that there may just be enough energy in the radar and air to offer some warmth to a rider.
I'll check that model out. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 7:58 pm

My 2 Cents?
Using the radiator as a heat source to me seems almost like driving your car in the winter with the heater going and the windows down.
Warm winter clothes seems like a better idea.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 8:00 pm

As The Bern says (hi bud!) the Maxsym 600 has a central heating vent, and I've seen a couple of Gilera scooters with a vent either side of the riders legs.

But even with these vents any hot air is going to be lost and blown away by the same cold wind that freezes your hands unless they're behind a screen, suitably gloved, and/or electrically heated.

The remedy would be fitting a scooter apron, an accessory very popular over in mainland Europe. It keeps the riders legs warm and dry, and when not in use pulls over the seat to keep it dry.

In fact it's probably a lot more practical to just use an apron and forget about vents. Fitted correctly an apron offers both wind and rain procection for the riders feet, legs, and lower chest. With body heat loss reduced by the insulating apron, experimenting with heating vents and potentially ruining both expensive Tupperware and ultimately resale value might be completely unnecessary.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 9:16 pm

I never gave a thought to resale value due to modification as mentioned above by Meldrew (hi bud)  I do have to say that in 5 1/2 years of ownership I never felt that my feet or lower legs were uncomfortably cold, possibly because I had 'wind deflectors' fitted.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2019 1:02 am

I'd say "bunny boots" would fit the bill for warm feet. I do not own a pair, yet. But I've researched the topic of warm feet extensively because of my left leg nerve damage. By all accounts these bunnies will keep your feet toasty down to -50C. Add a good pair of insulated pants and your bottom half is covered.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2019 2:09 am

Heated gear is the way to go. Jacket liner keeps the core warm thus keeping the blood flowing to feet- fingers. Heated socks are great but wires can be a pain going down through the pants.

Liner, socks and a dual temperature controller a few $$$$. Temp. controller adjusted one for jacket one for feet. Not that hard to connect to battery and makes a huge difference on a cold day. SW charging system can handle another 5-6 amps without stressing it when cruising. Voltage will be lower at idle.

Dress in layers. You can always take something off if to hot.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2019 2:14 am

The Selk'bag was created to keep its wearers warm, whether on the go or at rest.”, I haven't but you could google these, walk rest ride repeat.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2019 9:38 am

Don't forget the OP is here in the UK where we all wear normal motorcycle riding gear, there is heated clothing available, but no one is riding about dressed in snowmobile clothing.

We don't get winters long enough and severe enough for snowmobile use, any clothing would have to be imported from the US, it'd be expensive, you'd be taking a guess on getting the correct sizing, and when the gear arrived you'd be shafted for import duty by the Post Office before you take delivery.

Yesterday I had to pay almost £20 to the Post Office before they handed over a pair of Clothing Arts pick pocket proof pants I ordered from the US late last year. That was on top of the $136 I paid for the pants and postage to the UK.

... and this is nothing to do with the topic but I'd like to say I'm heartened by the news about Canadian air traffic controllers having collections amongst themselves and ordering pizza deliveries for their US counterparts in Alaska and further afield.

Due to US air traffic controllers having to work with no pay for the last three weeks due to the Donald's government shutdown.

Nice one gents! Smile

Last edited by Meldrew on Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2019 11:53 am

As veteran of over 65 winters of everyday riding----dress for ride, proper riding pants (Waterproof!), Boots (rubber overboots also help feet stay warm.

I do not like electric stuff----all you need is one failure to freeze! Top, I find feather jacket under riding jacket works.

Hot air from engine is blown away before it does any good.

Agree with Mildrew---US riders do not (often) wear proper bike clothes. Guess most don't know any better.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2019 1:46 pm

Agree with Mildrew---US riders do not (often) wear proper bike clothes. Guess most don't know any better. <<>>
We have rider education programs, adds on TV, ride covered, this n that BUT MANY do not because they don't have to and that varies state to state. o-HI-o has an age specific helmet law the younger being made to wear them but unfortunately nothing that requires full body coverage for everyone. Some that I see make me cringe and I have a description for them, rolling hamburger.
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2019 5:20 am

just received my termoscud today from Italy. I'm really hoping the combination of that with gerbings and opening the panel for (checking the points) will make these long rides in 30 degrees even more bearable. I regularly do a 500 mile ride from Arkansas to Mississippi and these January/February rides can be brutal
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2019-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 12:19 pm

My "Go to" winter gear is a set of thermals by my skin, long sleeved, base layer if you like, then a tee shirt, biking shorts, the ones with the padded backside, then a Polo shirt and then an army surplus woolly pully, then my KEIS heated waistcoat, my Dainese two piece textile suit and a set of rubberised water proofs over that. I wear Daytona boots, best boots I've ever had, with thermal socks and this is enough for a jaunt to Yorkshire in late January with the onboard air temp gauge at -5 and lower. I think I did a 6 hour ride and all I suffered with was a bit of cramp at the base of my neck. This was on my Vtec Honda VFR.

Heated grips to go along with the gloves, which I've gone through lots of pairs, and finally finished up with "Racer" winter gloves, because I can barely move my fingers in some of the others. To keep my few remaining working brain cells warm, a balaclave under my Shoei seems to be adequate, with the air vents shut there's still just enough air flow to keep the visor clear.

My mate swears by his handle bar muffs, I can't get on with them.

As long as my feet are warm, I'm ok, as soon as they get cold I have to stop and warm up.

I did once try wearing Ski gear, but it being a bit "downy" the wind pressure used to flatten the front and seemed to remove all the air space that they use to insulate you.

When I was on the Life boat (RNLI) we used to wear bunny suits. They are fine until you need to go for a bladder service...

I've been known to use news paper and plastic bags over my boots in the past, but I've always gone the multi layer route. As long as you can still twist, move your arms and feel the controls, pretty much anything goes. Oh. And drink plenty. Just having to get off and visit a loo can do wonders for your cold body, a bit of circulation around the warm core will help the parts other clothing cannot reach.

There used to be some things called "Derri Boots" that I used to wear in winter, they were ok and I might go that route as I don't need to be able to change gear or use a foot brake any more on the 'Wing.

I'm anticipating the 'Wing being a top coat warmer overall, the wind break design should do wonders for any wind chill effects?

The reason I've written on this thread is because my 2015 VFR has a little plastic deflector under the riders seat. In winter you take it out, and the flow of heated air from the radiator warms the seat up. It's ok but before I got used to it the feeling was as if I had wet myself... It doesn't get hot, just warm enough to feel the difference.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2019 4:17 am

I've used Gerbings heated gear on all the bikes I've owned. About five years ago on my previous SW I was riding comfortably in 28F weather with my Gerbings jacket liner and gloves. I just looked at their website and was shocked how much more they cost than when I bought mine fourteen years ago. https://www.gerbing.com/

A simpler and cheaper remedy would be a good pair of long undies. You can wear boots with warm socks on the scooter since you don't have to work a brake or shifter with your feet.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2019 2:20 pm

Grambazz's idea of ducted heating has occurred to me occasionally, especially during our trip to Belgium last winter in -20 wind chill temperatures. Our feet were the biggest issue despite our best efforts of thermal socks, liners etc. I didn't have the wind deflectors fitted at that time.

Any winter riding always leaves our feet cold and I'm told by other riders that electric socks or boots don't really cut it. Our heated gloves work to a point.

I did have an extreme idea of piping the radiator heat directly inside our boots, with a regulating valve, so that no heat is lost in the slipstream. I'm still thinking about it now although I have yet to see if the wind deflectors help this winter. The pillion doesn't have any wind deflection at all and I'm sure it's worse for her (my better half).
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2019 4:00 pm

Cold feet===rubber over shoes. work down to about 0 F.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2019 5:07 pm

Both the SYM Maxsym 400 and 600 have adjustable heater vents on the tunnel, although in cold winters conditions the vast majority of that heat is going to dissipate unless a scooter apron is fitted.

It'll be the same on the Silver Wing, a scooter apron will hold in any heat and insulate the rider from wet and cold. Aprons seem to be a lot more popular with European riders than over here. I bought one for my Honda CN 250 Helix back in the Nineties, it kept my lower half warm enough, although it could be scary riding with it on in crosswinds.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2019 4:53 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Cold feet===rubber over shoes.   work down to about 0 F.

I would start with the above. Total wind blockage is a good start. That's why windbreakers work so well on bikes and boats.
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2019-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2019 12:28 pm

I was quite shocked to discover the Swing is far "colder" to ride than my VFR... But then there isn't a V4 800cc radiator between your legs and in front of your naughty bits so that's probably why, "normal" bikes warm you by airflow warming the frame to some extent, although the old Vtec is slightly better in this respect as it has side mounted radiators.

So, even this weather, especially with my broken foot, I've had to start wearing the leggings even earlier. But only in the morning.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2019 7:57 pm

You may have a point there Lost it. The SW is my first bike after a 15 year break from riding and I can't honestly remember how cold I used to get on my previous bikes. I find myself wearing liners in anything but mild weather, I hadn't really thought about it till now.

I don't mind wearing layers until I find myself walking from the parked up bike to the town centre shops for example, maybe only a few hundred yards into a heated store...phew!

It's worth bearing in mind that you can get your jacket, trousers, gloves and snood etc. under the seat and your helmet in the top box if you want to go wandering on a cold day. You might even get your boots under the seat too depending on what type of boots you have, but that means carrying suitable footware with you on the bike.
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2019-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2019 3:46 pm

There was once a bike what combined design and function like non other:
It had 2 radiators knee high what directed the warm air around the lower regions of rider and pillion.
Was never warm in summer but you felt the difference in winter.
Her name?
Spidermax
Back to top Go down
https://hosiwi.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Using heat from the radiator?
Page 1 of 1