Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Memorial DAY.
Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeby oldwingguy Today at 10:14 pm

» Introduction, because it's the right thing to do.
Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeby Loosebearing Today at 6:43 pm

» DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!)
Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeby Seadog Today at 5:49 pm

» Dr Pulley High Performance Variator Kit For Sale
Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeby Loosebearing Today at 5:44 pm

» Schuberth!
Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 1:40 am

» 2007 Swing 600 for sale, all the trimmings, near Cardiff, Wales.
Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Yesterday at 11:06 pm

» DR Pully and Rider weight...
Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeby Lost it Yesterday at 7:30 am

» Brake Bleeding Nightmare
Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeby The Bern Yesterday at 7:08 am

» A nice ride out
Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeby GoonerKev Yesterday at 6:48 am

» Fantastic RAM Phone Mount
Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 3:03 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Using heat from the radiator?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grambazz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2018-10-04

Using heat from the radiator?  Empty
PostSubject: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2019 4:49 pm

I ride as often as I can, even in the winter. As long as it's dry I'm happy!
However, I did have a thought about channelling heat from the radiator to behind the leg shields.
Has anyone had the same idea and worked out if there's a way of redirecting the warm air from the radiator to where it could keep your feet nice and toasty?
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2017-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2019 7:02 pm

Anything is possible, but I think before I did that I would invest in either thermal undergarments or electrically heated clothing. In the summer, what would you do about the excess heat blowing on you?
Back to top Go down
Grambazz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 5:57 am

Fair points! I have all the gear, some of it from when I worked as a motorcycle courier. You soon learn what you need to keep warm doing that job all year round!
It's just a germ of an idea. Cars use engine heat to warm the cabin, so I thought the same principle may be applied to the Swing in some way. I've not really looked carefully at the structure of the bike in the radiator area, but I think I will the next chance I get. If it could be done relatively easily and be made to be opened and closed somehow when necessary it might be a nice little mod. I'm not a great one for fiddling too much, I prefer to spend any spare time riding if conditions allow.
Let's see if anyone has any thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 3024
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 6:54 am

Hmm... You might remove the tunnel cover and see whether it would be practical to cut in a couple of "vent" ports in the lower front area, which would be close to the radiator. The tunnel cover covers the engine and fuel tank, and the tank sits between the engine and radiator. Not much room there.

Shocked Maserati hood vents?

Tim
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1221
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 7:47 am

From the experience using the GL 1500 Goldwing engineered heating system I can say it's a lesson in futility, anything but a cool day at low speeds the heat dissipates to rapidly. The development of heated gloves and wearing apparel overcame that to some degree. Snowmobile riding gear may be another option.
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 8:06 am

Kind of defeats in some ways the beauty of the SilverWing. I will ride the Silverwing at times during the summer when it's to hot to ride the GoldWing. I appreciate the fact I don't have warm air at my feet and legs making an already warm day, at least tolerable.
Back to top Go down
Grambazz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 9:44 am

Good comments. Think I agree with the likely thermal physics of the situation. Probably far too much air movement for any warmth to be effective around your feet and lower legs.
Didn't know about snow mobile gear though - think I'll check that out - always looking for new ways of doing things.
Thanks Guys!
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 9:54 am

Non electric snowmobile gloves with the retractable thumb feature worked well for me, keeping all the digits together for warmth was nice, if you needed the thumb just curl it back and put it back in the thumb hole. I wore insulated Carhart bibs too, having the chest covered with an extra layer helps core temperature. This newer lighter better insulated gear is wayyyyyyyyyy better than we had back when. Wishing now I had my pair of flight deck boots with the felt inner sole and felt booties.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 734
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 12:25 pm

Have a look at a Maxsym 600 bud, they come with a heat vent in the floor (which can be closed in good weather) it might give you an idea of how/where to run ducts & maybe an easy way to get an appropriate vent
Back to top Go down
Grambazz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 12:34 pm

Interesting! It seems then that there may just be enough energy in the radar and air to offer some warmth to a rider.
I'll check that model out. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Site Admin
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1236
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 2:58 pm

My 2 Cents?
Using the radiator as a heat source to me seems almost like driving your car in the winter with the heater going and the windows down.
Warm winter clothes seems like a better idea.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 3153
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 3:00 pm

As The Bern says (hi bud!) the Maxsym 600 has a central heating vent, and I've seen a couple of Gilera scooters with a vent either side of the riders legs.

But even with these vents any hot air is going to be lost and blown away by the same cold wind that freezes your hands unless they're behind a screen, suitably gloved, and/or electrically heated.

The remedy would be fitting a scooter apron, an accessory very popular over in mainland Europe. It keeps the riders legs warm and dry, and when not in use pulls over the seat to keep it dry.

In fact it's probably a lot more practical to just use an apron and forget about vents. Fitted correctly an apron offers both wind and rain procection for the riders feet, legs, and lower chest. With body heat loss reduced by the insulating apron, experimenting with heating vents and potentially ruining both expensive Tupperware and ultimately resale value might be completely unnecessary.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 734
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 4:16 pm

I never gave a thought to resale value due to modification as mentioned above by Meldrew (hi bud)  I do have to say that in 5 1/2 years of ownership I never felt that my feet or lower legs were uncomfortably cold, possibly because I had 'wind deflectors' fitted.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 8:02 pm

I'd say "bunny boots" would fit the bill for warm feet. I do not own a pair, yet. But I've researched the topic of warm feet extensively because of my left leg nerve damage. By all accounts these bunnies will keep your feet toasty down to -50C. Add a good pair of insulated pants and your bottom half is covered.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 9:09 pm

Heated gear is the way to go. Jacket liner keeps the core warm thus keeping the blood flowing to feet- fingers. Heated socks are great but wires can be a pain going down through the pants.

Liner, socks and a dual temperature controller a few $$$$. Temp. controller adjusted one for jacket one for feet. Not that hard to connect to battery and makes a huge difference on a cold day. SW charging system can handle another 5-6 amps without stressing it when cruising. Voltage will be lower at idle.

Dress in layers. You can always take something off if to hot.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 9:14 pm

The Selk'bag was created to keep its wearers warm, whether on the go or at rest.”, I haven't but you could google these, walk rest ride repeat.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 3153
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2019 4:38 am

Don't forget the OP is here in the UK where we all wear normal motorcycle riding gear, there is heated clothing available, but no one is riding about dressed in snowmobile clothing.

We don't get winters long enough and severe enough for snowmobile use, any clothing would have to be imported from the US, it'd be expensive, you'd be taking a guess on getting the correct sizing, and when the gear arrived you'd be shafted for import duty by the Post Office before you take delivery.

Yesterday I had to pay almost £20 to the Post Office before they handed over a pair of Clothing Arts pick pocket proof pants I ordered from the US late last year. That was on top of the $136 I paid for the pants and postage to the UK.

... and this is nothing to do with the topic but I'd like to say I'm heartened by the news about Canadian air traffic controllers having collections amongst themselves and ordering pizza deliveries for their US counterparts in Alaska and further afield.

Due to US air traffic controllers having to work with no pay for the last three weeks due to the Donald's government shutdown.

Nice one gents! Smile

Last edited by Meldrew on Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Rubber band guru
john grinsel

Number of posts : 2700
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2019 6:53 am

As veteran of over 65 winters of everyday riding----dress for ride, proper riding pants (Waterproof!), Boots (rubber overboots also help feet stay warm.

I do not like electric stuff----all you need is one failure to freeze! Top, I find feather jacket under riding jacket works.

Hot air from engine is blown away before it does any good.

Agree with Mildrew---US riders do not (often) wear proper bike clothes. Guess most don't know any better.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2019 8:46 am

Agree with Mildrew---US riders do not (often) wear proper bike clothes. Guess most don't know any better. <<>>
We have rider education programs, adds on TV, ride covered, this n that BUT MANY do not because they don't have to and that varies state to state. o-HI-o has an age specific helmet law the younger being made to wear them but unfortunately nothing that requires full body coverage for everyone. Some that I see make me cringe and I have a description for them, rolling hamburger.
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Using heat from the radiator?    Using heat from the radiator?  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2019 12:20 am

just received my termoscud today from Italy. I'm really hoping the combination of that with gerbings and opening the panel for (checking the points) will make these long rides in 30 degrees even more bearable. I regularly do a 500 mile ride from Arkansas to Mississippi and these January/February rides can be brutal
Back to top Go down

Using heat from the radiator?
Page 1 of 1