Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
It just happened to me!! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
It just happened to me!! I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
It just happened to me!! I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
It just happened to me!! I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
It just happened to me!! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
It just happened to me!! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
It just happened to me!! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
It just happened to me!! I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
It just happened to me!! I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
It just happened to me!! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

It just happened to me!!

Go down 
+2
lloyd193
john grinsel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

It just happened to me!! Empty
PostSubject: It just happened to me!!   It just happened to me!! I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 11:39 am

Backed bike out of garage this morning---ride to McDonalds, noticed kinda funny feeling in rear. Checked rear tire by kicking, seemed ok. came home checked tire pressure with gauge-ok, checked rear end play----a little free play----tightened rear axle nut....it had worked itself loose---socket/breaker bar seemed to cure problem.

First time for me in over 90,000 SilverWing miles. Going to watch on trip to James Bay Road in Quebec in a week or so.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: It just happened to me!!   It just happened to me!! I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 11:46 am

john grinsel wrote:
Backed bike out of garage this morning---ride to McDonalds, noticed kinda funny feeling in rear.  Checked rear tire by kicking, seemed ok.  came home checked tire pressure with gauge-ok, checked rear end play----a little free play----tightened rear axle nut....it had worked itself loose---socket/breaker bar seemed to cure problem.

First time for me in over 90,000 SilverWing miles.   Going to watch on trip to James Bay Road in Quebec in a week or so.

Thoroughly grease it and torque to 110 Ft. Pounds, Manual says 102 Ft. Pounds, I find 110 better, A straight shovel handle makes good back up thru wheel, Watch out for the valve stem.

Happy motoring Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: It just happened to me!!   It just happened to me!! I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 12:45 pm

Mr Grinsel, I've always carried a 1/2" drive 10" sliding T- handle 'socket breaker wrench' along with a ~10" aluminum pipe for extension/leverage and a 27mm socket for that rear axle nut. I also carry 1/2" drive 22mm and 17mm sockets to fit those appropriate nuts/bolts as well in my travel tool kit.

That emergency tool kit came in very handy on a recent trip to Iowa when my "V" light came on prematurely. I was able to disassemble the drive belt case and, even though everything appeared okay, change to my spare belt about an hour, under less than ideal circumstances in a motel parking lot the next morning. Motel donut & coffee in one hand, wrench in the other.

Best wishes on your Great White North ride. 

Tim

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: It just happened to me!!   It just happened to me!! I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 1:29 pm

#1 parking brake, set up right, lock rear wheel for axle tightening in my world.

#2 I carry enough tools...to remove both wheels----today I used 1/2 drive 27mm socket and breaker bar from bench as it was handy----assembling my road tool kit would have taken longer.

Experience alerted me to funny feel from rear
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: It just happened to me!!   It just happened to me!! I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 9:00 pm

V lite----just miles counter, on trip if you know how long/miles belt has been on---just re-set V lite----it really doesn't tell belt condition, just miles.
Back to top Go down
arcamedies13
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2019-01-29

PostSubject: Over torque    It just happened to me!! I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2021 12:53 pm

lloyd193 wrote:
john grinsel wrote:
Backed bike out of garage this morning---ride to McDonalds, noticed kinda funny feeling in rear.  Checked rear tire by kicking, seemed ok.  came home checked tire pressure with gauge-ok, checked rear end play----a little free play----tightened rear axle nut....it had worked itself loose---socket/breaker bar seemed to cure problem.

First time for me in over 90,000 SilverWing miles.   Going to watch on trip to James Bay Road in Quebec in a week or so.

Thoroughly grease it and torque to 110 Ft. Pounds, Manual says 102 Ft. Pounds, I find 110 better, A straight shovel handle makes good back up thru wheel, Watch out for the valve stem.

Happy motoring Lloyd 193.

Important to always follow factory specs on assembly and torque. Someone sometime may have taken the wheel off to replace the tire and didn't. Torque above specs risky. Constant over Torque can stress threads and fracture any bolt.
Back to top Go down
Raygirardi
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2020-04-29

PostSubject: Re: It just happened to me!!   It just happened to me!! I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2021 1:01 pm

john grinsel wrote:

Is there a cotter pin missing in that nut, or just a one off problem? Good luck on your trip and stay safe
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: It just happened to me!!   It just happened to me!! I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2021 1:28 pm

No cotter pin
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: It just happened to me!!   It just happened to me!! I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2021 1:47 pm

Raygirardi wrote:
Good luck on your trip and stay safe

Methinks he's back ... it's a four year old post.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It just happened to me!!   It just happened to me!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It just happened to me!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Riding :: Safety Section-
Jump to: