Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Seeking top case advice I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Seeking top case advice I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Seeking top case advice I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Seeking top case advice I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Seeking top case advice I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Seeking top case advice I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Seeking top case advice I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Seeking top case advice I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Seeking top case advice I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
Seeking top case advice I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Seeking top case advice

Go down 
+4
Leena H
can_sky
Old Limey
Smaug
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-07-30

Seeking top case advice Empty
PostSubject: Seeking top case advice   Seeking top case advice I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 10:34 am

I'm taking a tour in the Silver Wing next month. I'm not sure the underseat storage + dry bag strapped to the seat will be enough.

Previously, I had a Givi V46 on my FJR. Great case, but I feel like it's a bit too wide. I don't want it to be wider than the rear end of the 'Wing.

I was thinking about the 33 L Shad case, but read of some quality issues with Shad. Rattling, lock falling out, etc. I was tempted anyway, because users said there's room for a full face helmet + shoes and a couple other things. Givi really seems to nickel and dime us for all that is needed to get it mounted up though, don't they.

I read another post where someone suggested just bolting a Home Depot toolbox to the back rack. Aside from being ugly, toolboxes are generally not made from UV-resistant plastic. I don't think I want to go that route, but I AM open to less expensive top cases than Givi or Shad, as long as they work fine and don't rattle around.

What's a good middle solution?

...or should I just bite the bullet and get another Givi? My Silver Wing is black, so any of those black ones would look good.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Seeking top case advice   Seeking top case advice I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 11:23 am

On my first Silver wing there was a top box fitted, it says Honda on the centre part. When I  bought  my new Silver wing three years ago I transfered the  top box , the back plate has four marked places to drill out for the base fitting. Both bikes were black, and the top box is silver with black edging, in my opinion it adds to the looks of the bike, I fitted an additional brake light into the box as well. I just checked my top box, the lower half is matt black the top lid is silver.

Last edited by Old Limey on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
can_sky
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
can_sky

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2016-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Seeking top case advice   Seeking top case advice I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 12:18 pm

I bolted a pelican-style box to the rear rack. Its not exactly a toolbox... It is very durable and waterproof. I used a few rubber washers to mount a piece of plywood (painted black) first then the box on top of that. It is very secure and doesn't rattle at all. The look is not for everyone but it is very convenient and inexpensive. The knock-off pelican case was around 40 dollars.
Back to top Go down
Leena H
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Leena H

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2016-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Seeking top case advice   Seeking top case advice I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 12:54 pm

How about Givi V47? It´s as wide as V46, but it follows the lines of Silver Wing very nicely and has the same theme. You´re able to get led brake light to it, too.
Back to top Go down
Leena H
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Leena H

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2016-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Seeking top case advice   Seeking top case advice I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 12:56 pm

Seeking top case advice 10c40611
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Seeking top case advice   Seeking top case advice I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 1:21 pm

When you need to carry things, who cares how it looks?? Givi box and rack works best----my Givi E46 has been on several bikes, 19 years old over 500,000 miles and still working...but heavy.
Bolted directly to rear wing---Tool boxes/Rubber Made work great used them on several trips to AK. Bestem motorcycle rear boxes, work and are cheap
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Seeking top case advice   Seeking top case advice I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 1:49 pm

I put a Bestem box on the back of my second Silverwing and was pleased with it. Much less expensive than a lot of the competition and well made.
http://www.bestemusa.com/T-Box-2012-42-Ltr_c_1302.html
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Seeking top case advice   Seeking top case advice I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 2:45 pm

john grinsel wrote:
When you need to carry things, who cares how it looks??  Givi box and rack works best----my Givi E46 has been on several bikes, 19 years old over 500,000 miles and still working...but heavy.
Bolted directly to rear wing---Tool boxes/Rubber Made work great used them on several trips to AK. Bestem motorcycle rear boxes, work and are cheap
Thanks for the link to Bestem boxes. They're $45-72, about 1/4 the price of a Givi. Are Givis 4X better? Are Bestem rain-proof and UV-resistant? The 42L one linked even comes in gloss black, without the need for buying a gloss black plate.

John: Well, YOU care about looking sharp, since you've got a Givi instead of something cheap, right? Cool

That V47 is a sharp case, but a little too wide for my taste on the Silver Wing.

Pelican-style case is a great idea, but no locking quick release, which I really came to appreciate on the V46 I used to have. I took it off for local riding, and put it on for touring or day trips.

I just ordered a Bestem 42L. It might be a LITTLE on the wide side, but it seems to have everything:

+ A vote of good quality from my fellow Silver Wingers
+ Good reviews on their site
+ Quick-release
+ Gloss black paint at no extra charge
+ Mounting hardware at no extra charge
- Shipping @ $36 (!)

Even so, it wound up being $107 instead of $250.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 997
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Seeking top case advice   Seeking top case advice I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 3:16 pm

But money well spent :-)
Back to top Go down
greenspam
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2017-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Seeking top case advice   Seeking top case advice I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 12:39 pm

I have a Givi monokey 40L topbox. Love it. Get monokey because they can carry heavy weight and interchangeable between scooters.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seeking top case advice   Seeking top case advice I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seeking top case advice
Page 1 of 1