Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Plastic Fading I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Plastic Fading I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Plastic Fading I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Plastic Fading I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Plastic Fading I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Plastic Fading I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Plastic Fading I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Plastic Fading I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Plastic Fading I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Plastic Fading I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Plastic Fading

Go down 
+3
Cosmic_Jumper
Murf
Scootypuff Snr
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

Plastic Fading Empty
PostSubject: Plastic Fading   Plastic Fading I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 19, 2017 10:39 am

I aim this question more at our American cousins who have a proper summer & regular real sunshine.

This year in the UK has been unusually hot (as have some in the past) but where I live now my bike is kept outside and stands in what can only be described as a sun trap.

Today I noticed the right side (as sat on) clear rear indicator cover appears to have faded/misted compared to the left. Has it been there since I've owned it second-hand or has the sun bleached that side as it's on it all day.

I've normally only seen such sun bleaching in foreign hot spots

None of the blue body panels appear changed at all

I don't need to know it should be covered when not in use etc just if anybody else has e experienced this issue
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

Plastic Fading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastic Fading   Plastic Fading I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 19, 2017 4:55 pm

I bought my 04 Swing that had been left outside and it is completely faded and no shine left. So I would cover it. I had that Dark Cherry look.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Plastic Fading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastic Fading   Plastic Fading I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 19, 2017 7:11 pm

Never heard of tail light lenses frosted like you've mentioned. However it is quite common here to see headlight lenses on older cars frosted due to road grime and winter treatment chemicals. The quick n' dirty fix for those fogged headlight lenses is to polish them with toothpaste. Maybe that's worth a go.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Plastic Fading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastic Fading   Plastic Fading I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 19, 2017 7:47 pm

Plastic headlight restore products should clean up the lenses. Its abrasive so tape up any body panels you don't want scratched ETC. Follow the directions on bottle should work.
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Plastic Fading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastic Fading   Plastic Fading I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20, 2017 6:01 am

I would advise caution for anything abrasive on a plastic lens, you could end up with a badly scratched lens.
Meguiars do a non-abrasive headlight restoration kit for plastic lenses, but at £21 it seems expensive for just one lens. I've used their PlastRx polish to take out light scratches on the screen - better value at around £7 a bottle! Takes time and gentle rubbing, but leaves a good, clear finish.
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Plastic Fading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastic Fading   Plastic Fading I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20, 2017 12:43 pm

It was popular in Miata circles years ago to "shave" the raised lettering from the plastic tail and side light lenses. We would start using 400 then 600, then 800, then 1200 grit wet sanding paper; and finish up with Meguiars' fast cut rubbing compound and finally their polishing compound.

The result was a finish arguably better than as they came from the factory...
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Plastic Fading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastic Fading   Plastic Fading I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20, 2017 1:15 pm

Scootypuff Snr wrote:

Today I noticed the right side (as sat on) clear rear indicator cover appears to have faded/misted compared to the left.

Have you checked that it might be moisture inside the indicator that's causing the misting before buying one of these headlight restoration kits.

I got some moisture inside one of the headlights of my 650 Burgman on a short but very wet trip to Norn' Iron. It misted up the lens completely, but disappeared as if by magic within a few miles when the scooter was running and the bulb automatically on. Only to reappear when the engine was off and inside the headlamp reflector cooled again.

Happily it gradually disappeared over a period of months, in time for me to get rid of the lardass lump for my Silver Wing.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

Plastic Fading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastic Fading   Plastic Fading I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20, 2017 4:48 pm

Thanks for the tips & pointers gents.

I've rearranged the drive moving the SW into a line up with the other bikes and removed the top box so a cover fits.
When I have time I'll investigate more ( I'll get loads more time now other bikes & cars have to be moved before I ride off)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Plastic Fading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastic Fading   Plastic Fading I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Plastic Fading
Page 1 of 1