Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What were they thinking?
Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 8:11 am

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:05 am

» Earth cable stress
Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 12:29 am

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Yesterday at 12:05 am

» LED Headlights
Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:52 pm

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:50 am

» Cooling fan still running
Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:31 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Fitting Side Wind Deflectors

Go down 
+18
willajabir
Cosmic_Jumper
RazorbackUofA
Pastor Ron
Scootypuff Snr
Meldrew
The Bern
ericclapham
dspevack
churchmouse
mymuk
MikeO
Olivertse
Flyingpanman
bikerboy
Maxaryaman2004
Sidewinder Pilot
Jolly Bodger
22 posters
AuthorMessage
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-06

Fitting Side Wind Deflectors Empty
PostSubject: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 26, 2017 2:48 am

Bought these a while ago and finally decided to look at fitting them.
The kit comes with 2 pathetic little studs to hold the Deflectors in place!  I know that they are attached with the adhesive strips but if that was to fail for any reason, I doubt that the 2 little studs would be strong enough to hold them.
The engineer in me says use half a dozen self tapping screws.
The question to those that have fitted them - What did you Use?

JB
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 26, 2017 3:06 am

When I received mine, I thought the same thing.
I settled for a SS sheet metal screw at each end, and used the adhesive tape as provided.
It's worked without any issues since last year.

They will definitely help with the trouser flap! Smile
Back to top Go down
Maxaryaman2004
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2016-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 26, 2017 5:53 am

I've had mine on my scoot for a year now. I followed the installation instructions to a 'T', and used only the 3M adhesive supplied, as well as the single 'stud' that goes on each side.
I can left the adhesive to 'cure' in the warm summer sun for a day before riding the scoot and have had not troubles at all. Here in the Canadian prairies where we regularly get winds, sustained at 35 kmph with gust to 70, I not had any issues. I've also ridden at speed near 180 kmph for extended periods of time and have had not issues at all.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Fitting side wind deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 26, 2017 10:42 am

Mine worked fine with the adhesive strips, just make sure that you do it in warm conditions and give the adhesive time to harden.  The plastic stud is removable so that you can take off the body panel it's fastened to when needed.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 26, 2017 11:03 am

One of my plastic rivets keeps working loose, so I'll be using a s. steel self-tappers top and bottom.

The self adhesive strips have held fine. In fact, they would be the biggest problem if I ever needed to remove/replace the deflectors.
Back to top Go down
Olivertse
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Olivertse

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2017-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 3:24 am

Hi, I've seen them on eBay. Just wondering, are they any good after fitting them on. They are very expensive £109.00 . I wanted to be sure they are with the purchase and not just for looks. Thanks
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 8:52 am

One of the few add-ons which really are of benefit - worth every penny.
Back to top Go down
mymuk
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mymuk

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2017-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17, 2017 3:14 pm

MikeO wrote:
One of the few add-ons which really are of benefit - worth every penny.

That's the impression I got. Just purchased one of the last two sets I could find online: Ebay item 161965937250
Back to top Go down
churchmouse
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2017-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 03, 2017 4:35 pm

Hey Maryann or anyone. Where did you find the wind deflectors?. I have searched and not found any except for some outrageously expensive in the UK.
Help, please? Smile If you want to email me at cp@cpedley.com I would appreciate it immensely!
-Churchmouse
Back to top Go down
http://charlespedley.com
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 03, 2017 5:34 pm

Unfortunately the wind deflectors are not readily available in north America.
You can find David Silver Spares, and Chiswick Honda online. Both are known to ship overseas.

My recommendation is if you are in North America, buy two pair and make sure you only pay shipping for one pair. Tell them to put both pair in the same box.  Yes they both fit in the stock box for one pair.

Why? 2 reasons:
1:   If you go down, the wind deflector will be the first to hit the pavement and crack.  Then you will need a replacement, and you will already have it, without the hassle or expense of having to pay for shipping for another pair, which is a significant part of the overall cost.

2:   You can look for someone on the board who also needs them and split costs.  Its cheaper to have two pairs sent to you and then the cost of forwarding one pair to someone else, then to pay overseas shipping for two items.

There was an aftermarket company that was selling what they called wind deflectors, on ebay. This consisted of a piece of thick rubber (Think the center treaded section of a car tire) and some mounting kit.
You attached it to where your feet go, and it bent up in the area in front of your feet. It did the job and a much lower cost, but it was very utilitarian. No curves, Very inelegant, didn't look great.
Don't see it on ebay now, so it may have been discontinued due to lack of demand.

Good luck.

Dan
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 3:17 am

Initially, I fitted the Ebay el-cheapo type. The pair I had were made of garden edging material and worked well but did look bit agricultural. Then I fitted the OEM Honda ones a year ago, as per the instructions and to date, have had no problems. I managed to track down a set in the UK from "doble.co.uk". I don't know if they still stock them. Total cost then was GBP81.80 inc. postage to OZ.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 10:45 am

ericclapham wrote:
I managed to track down a set in the UK from "doble.co.uk". I don't know if they still stock them.

They had a few 'new old stock' (NOS) that were sold off cheap, all gone now & back to full price 'new new stock' now
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 11:02 am

Hi bud, I've came across the odd pair of wind deflectors on various Honda dealers and spares websites down to the £80 mark when they're usually £110. Isn't the price drop down to the FJS Silver Wing being a discontinued model. I've also noticed that the newer SW-T Silver Wing has been gradually phased out in the last few years by some European Honda importers.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 2:42 pm

Hi bud, last summer when I gave it a good service & tidy I got a pair of NOS off Dobles for about £65 +p&p, when I had my 'off' this spring I went back to them for replacements & they were £116 including p&p I remember because Mrs.B commented on how little plastic you got for your money these days
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 8:06 pm

The Bern wrote:
Hi bud, last summer when I gave it a good service & tidy I got a pair of NOS off Dobles for about £65 +p&p, when I had my 'off' this spring I went back to them for replacements & they were £116 including p&p I remember because Mrs.B commented on how little plastic you got for your money these days

That's Dobles, "robbing dogs" dealership but i wanted a set and had to pay up or shut up.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Hi Bud   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 8:21 pm

I put mine on with adhesive only, 5 years ago and it is still working perfectly. I bought mine in the UK I do not remember from whom
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 8:40 pm

Scootypuff Snr wrote:
The Bern wrote:

That's Dobles, "robbing dogs" dealership but i wanted a set and had to pay up or shut up.

I hardly see how Dobles are robbing anyone, I paid my Honda dealer the 2010 price to have wind deflectors, heated grips, and a Givi Monorack fitted when I took delivery of my new Silver Wing. I've never regretted spending any of that extra cash, I bought and fitted an Airflow after a few rides behind the rubbish OE screen and for me my maxi was sorted.

As you bought used, you could have easily looked around like others have and bought a Silver Wing with wind deflectors and other toys already fitted. There's a lad on the Muppets just bought a used 2012 Silver Wing with wind deflectors, a Givi screen, and a Honda top box fitted.

Over the years I've been on this forum there's always been a bit of resentment from some owners about the Honda leg wind deflectors, (a) because they were never made available in the US, and (b) they didn't want to pay the combined cost of buying a set and having them shipped to the USA.

Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 9:49 pm

Scootypuff Snr wrote:
The Bern wrote:

Nah, not "robbing dogs" at all bud, they sold off the old stock cheaply because the boxes were dirty &/or damaged due to extended storage/movement, my point was that when our other member found them at a reduced price NOS was the reason, I was not gripeing about the regular cost.
Back to top Go down
RazorbackUofA
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
RazorbackUofA

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2017-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 3:00 pm

chickendance

Fitting Side Wind Deflectors 20806612
Back to top Go down
RazorbackUofA
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
RazorbackUofA

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 3:02 pm

Fitting Side Wind Deflectors 20773310
Fitting Side Wind Deflectors 20806510
Fitting Side Wind Deflectors 20806715
Fitting Side Wind Deflectors 20813411
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 3:38 pm

affraid OMG!

Where's yer Fazer, lad?
Back to top Go down
RazorbackUofA
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
RazorbackUofA

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 09, 2017 6:27 am

all need now is a grill and fridge
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 09, 2017 5:10 pm

And now that you have custom made an automatic Goldwing, rumor has it that Honda is releasing one this month. Of course the Honda version will be substantially higher.
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2017 11:58 pm

Olivertse wrote:
Hi, I've seen them on eBay. Just wondering, are they any good after fitting them on. They are very expensive £109.00 . I wanted to be sure they are with the purchase and not just for looks.  Thanks
Just bought a set for mine think they were around £85 from this place www.ajsutton.co.uk
Back to top Go down
barthezo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2017-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2018 2:56 pm

I'm just about to bring wind deflectors for my silverwing.
Are got guys have been talking about these ones?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F161965937250

Are they good? Can you feel a big difference in cold days?

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
v23nb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2017-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2018 3:28 pm

I bought my swing from Dobles. It had those same leg deflectors fitted on instruction of the previous owner and had been done by Honda mechanics to the original instructions. I have no worry about the fit. I haven’t ridden without them so can’t do a proper comparison but found them pretty good. I currently also have a Tucano Urbano leg cover fitted (will probably come off at the end of next month) which fits no problem despite having the leg deflectors in place. I have been riding on seriously wet roads in driving rain and always arrive dry as a bone.
Back to top Go down
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2017-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2018 8:11 pm

I've fitted mine over winter while I had the fairing off waiting for my givi screen to arrive. I made two little tweaks to the instructions: I move the lower pop-rivet up a couple of inches so that it attaches to the main fairing panel, hence I don't need to remove it when taking off the fairing. I also added a bead of grey silicon sealant to the front edge to stop water and crud being blown into the gap where the adhesive tap lives. They seem to work well. The grey silicon isn't an exact match for the silver paint, but close enough.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Side Wind Deflectors   Fitting Side Wind Deflectors I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fitting Side Wind Deflectors
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Accessories & Modifications-
Jump to: