Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part # I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part # I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part # I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part # I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part # I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part # I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part # I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part # I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part # I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part # I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part #

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
cooperthebeagle
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2015-12-26

Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part # Empty
PostSubject: Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part #   Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part # I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 10:11 pm

I introduced myself a few months ago when I joined. Just to summarize, I live in MD, have a 2005 Titanium Grey SW (non ABS, of course). Bought used from a Harley dealership in PA back in Feb 2016. Unit had just under 9K miles.

I replaced stock windscreen today. I sit high and wind is buffeting me way too much (previously had a V Star Classic with an enormous aftermarket windshield that kept the breeze out; I am spoiled). I purchased a Cee Bailey tall, clear windshield. It is about 3" taller than stock. Have not ridden it yet, as you will see why, below.

In reassembling the plastic fairing pieces, I misplaced one of the "Windshield Garnish" screws. These are on p 2-12 of the Service Manual, the 3rd of 4 pictures. In the picture it has arrows pointing saying these are "set screws".

If anyone can tell me the part #, that would be much appreciated - need for both the screw and the washer.

I looked at Bike Bandit as they sell OEM parts, but the diagram is as clear as an IRS tax form.

Thank you for any assistance.

(I did search, but did not find it on Google or here.)

Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part #   Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part # I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 11:02 pm

If you have access to a Honda cycle shop, most of them have these items in stock as they are used on other Honda products. I assume you are asking about the bolts that hold the w/s on that have the rubber expanded as they are tightened. Just tell them what you need and I am sure they will have them.
Back to top Go down
cooperthebeagle
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2015-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part #   Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part # I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 11:35 pm

Thanks, DaveR.

Problem is the local Honda shop is open when I am am work and closed when I am not.  So the reason I wanted to see if I could get the part # is so I could order on line.  I just lost the part a few hours ago, so I was only thinking about where I could order on line now.  Patience, right?!

They are the screws that hold the cowling to the dash.  So it would be, as sitting in the driver's seat, at the left and right side, top edge corners of dash where windshield and dash meet.

And I was able to remove and re-install the 6 screws with rubber grommets without incident!  Thanks to video posted here, made life much easier. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer -    Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part # I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2016 12:22 am

These screws can be purchased at your Ace Hardware or your other favorite hardware store. I use one that is a little longer than stock.
They are .8mm coarse thread and the one I use is 3/4 of a inch long.
I find the longer length makes it a little easier to start. They have a concave head and do not have any washer. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part #   Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part # I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2016 12:34 am

I've purchased a lot of Honda Motorcycle and Scooter parts from Motogrid and Partzilla. They've both given me excellent service and good prices. Just go to their sites and look up your parts on their exploded drawings. Easy to do. They both list the OEM Honda part numbers so if you want to pay a premium you can go to your local dealer and let him order by part number.

http://www.motogrid.com/OEMpartfinder.htm?aribrand=HOM

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/parts.html

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part #   Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part # I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2016 8:40 am

If I read your post correctly this is the screw you're referring to: http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-93891-05016-07.html. It is a fine-thread screw. Most definately not a hardware store coarse thread or self tapping screw. Partzilla is your friend.

Tim
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

PostSubject: Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to    Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part # I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2016 9:23 am

I stand by what I said. I have been using them for years. And nothing was said about self taping. Howard
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part #   Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part # I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2016 1:04 pm

My apology, Howard. I did not mean that you suggested a self tapping screw. Poor phrasing on my part.

That screw is, in fact, a M5-.08 x 16mm screw. .08 is fine thread, and Ace Hardware does have M5-.08 x 16mm screws available, but the head size is larger than the Honda part.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Tim
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part #   Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part # I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2016 1:31 pm

If you need a replacement right away and all that's wrong with a hardware store screw is the head size a drill and file will make it easy to reshape the head.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

PostSubject: Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer    Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part # I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2016 1:48 pm

Apology accepted. My I.S.O. Metric Screw CHEK'R No. ! says it is coarse pitch.  Howard
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part #   Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part # I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Windshield Garnish Screw and Washer - Need to ID Part #
Page 1 of 1