Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Today at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Yesterday at 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day

Go down 
+2
cliffyk
john grinsel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day Empty
PostSubject: Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day   Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2016 3:55 pm

New Helmet arrived yesterday...I use and throw away at least 2 new Helmets each year----due to deer hit in Switzerland (1990), my neck has never been the same---Heavy BMW golf ball helmet.

Prefer simple/cheap lite helmets. In use for me right now--Arthur Fulmer Classic 3/4 jet---Arthur Fulmer755 3/4 with shield---nearing end of service life, also a little heavy and Vega 200 3/4 with shield----feels a little heavy to me at end of 8 hour day.

Yesterday purchase, Cyber 3/4 open face, white, made in Taiwan. Competetion Accessories.
$35 plus tax shipping. Nice quality/DOT----tested in today's 100 degree weather=comfortable and seems light enough for my neck. Add Duck Bill snap on visor---they are getting hard to find....provides nice face shade. Strong winds today....put Givi shield up 1/2 inch....still in see over position. With foam ear plugs helmet is quiet. Fit around ears good. appears helmet will stay on in event of accident/bump.

My take on helmets as retired safety professional----helmets are nice but only there to help you.....after you screw up!
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day   Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2016 9:36 pm

Sixteen years ago, here in the state of Florida in the US and after almost twenty years of protest, lobbying and pressuring elected "representatives" we got the mandatory helmet law altered such that no helmet is required if a) the rider is 21 plus years of age, and has at least $10k medical insurance.

I have not worn a helmet since then--I have been riding since I was 9 or so, now at 70 WTH...

Last edited by cliffyk on Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day   Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2016 9:47 pm

cliffyk wrote:
Sixteen years ago, here in the state of Florida in the US and after almost twenty years of protest, lobbying and pressuring elected "representatives" we got the mandatory helmet law altered such that no helmet is required if a) the rider is 21byears of age, and has at least $10k medical insurance.

What happens when the rider turns 22 years of age? Just kidding. LOL

Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

PostSubject: Re: Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day   Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2016 10:11 pm

Easyrider wrote:
cliffyk wrote:
Sixteen years ago, here in the state of Florida in the US and after almost twenty years of protest, lobbying and pressuring elected "representatives" we got the mandatory helmet law altered such that no helmet is required if a) the rider is 21byears of age, and has at least $10k medical insurance.

What happens when the rider turns 22 years of age? Just kidding. LOL

Fixed--nonetheless a good point--the size of my fingers and the size of the "keys" on this tablet often conflict...
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day   Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2016 7:20 am

If you really ride a lot----all 49 states you can ride to----helmet necessary----I find all day 20-30 degree F, bare head= miserable, add rain or snow.------most in Helmet opposition really don't ride a lot, have not ridden a lot nor will they ever really ride a lot.....probably don't even own rainsuit/rubber boots.
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2015-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day   Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2016 9:11 am

john grinsel wrote:
most in Helmet opposition really don't ride a lot, have not ridden a lot nor will they ever really ride a lot.....probably don't even own rainsuit/rubber boots.

Guess you've never been to FL Smile

IMHO, it's actually cooler to ride with a well vented helmet in 95 sunny weather than without one.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day   Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2016 12:25 pm

I have ridden to FL many times, including Key West several times----FL is flat, boring and hot in summer and toll roads, not much of interest for me. Trailer bikers seem to like it---see Daytona
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2015-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day   Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2016 5:37 pm

Then you will know that "really don't ride a lot, have not ridden a lot nor will they ever really ride a lot" is not true. I personally know a number of people that don't even own a cage even with the daily summer rain storms.
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day   Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 11:35 pm

I am 100% cage-free and ride at least 2000mi/month, and, since it's a Honda I don't have a trailer and pickup truck! I live 60mi from Daytona and see lot's of organ donors riding around.

My take on the whole helmet thing is this, IF you believe that nothing can or will happen to cause your head to hit the ground or some cager that darts under your front wheel, then don't wear a helmet......But please, make sure you have the organ donor endorsement added to your license!

I have ridden without my helmet a few times, but prefer the helmet. It provides shade for the head, a place for my Bluetooth system and in the event, however unlikely, that I need it for it's intended purpose, it's there.

Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

PostSubject: Re: Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day   Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2016 9:10 pm

In any serious crash wearing a helmet just means they can have an open casket.

Being retired, living 15 miles from anywhere, and thereby having the benefit of not having to ride in city or any heavy traffic, I drive VERY defensively and do not allow myself (or the caged a-holes) to put me into nasty situations. Been riding 12 to 15k miles a year since we got rid of the mandate, have not crashed or really even come close in that time.

If by some chance I do get in heavy traffic, and the cagers are being jerks, I just back off and let them battle it out. I had an opportunity to do that today on US1 South of Saint Augustine; some nitwit chick in a Hyundai Genesis was swapping lanes with 2 feet clearance and no signal.

She did this 3 or 4 times until she clipped the back end of a big Ford diesel pickup and spun off àss-over-teakettle into some quite unforgiving trees.

I always like it when karma catches up with 'em...
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day   Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2016 10:24 pm

I respect anyone's right to wear as much or little as they want when riding on two wheels. But I also thought my defensive driving was enough, until an old lady got me in a roundabout. There was nowhere to go and helmet, long trousers, gloves and boots ( all of which had to be replaced together with scooter) definitely saved me from major injuries. It does not matter how good you think you are, it can happen in a split second with no time for evasive manoeuvres.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day   Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Working with/testing new Helmet.....on 100degree F day
Page 1 of 1